• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:13
CEST 19:13
KST 02:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12453 users

SCII Tactician - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
May 17 2012 21:22 GMT
#161
Wow this looks so useful...
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Elitios
Profile Joined February 2012
France164 Posts
May 18 2012 14:14 GMT
#162
Will Day[9] stop using paint and adopt this instead? It looks very simple and effective.

But wouldn't it be simpler if the color choice was separated from the shape choice?
legatus legionis
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands559 Posts
May 18 2012 14:40 GMT
#163
On May 17 2012 20:46 Parnass wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2012 11:55 legatus legionis wrote:
Have to ask these questions. Does it actually work for replays since this is a custom map right? Can it actually be used as some kind of mod when you are a spectator of a game?
You can add it to a tournament map and make it usuable but I don't know how preferable that is. Could easily create issues.
Why would it need 6 different colors? The most important function is the ability of pointing out things you are talking about. This can be done with one color so 2 would be more than fine. Then it becomes easier to add the much needed hotkeys. Going over and clicking should not be acceptable.
Hope this helps push the tool since it's something everyone has thought up since beta, yet it never came.

In addition, a while back there was a video released which was an application to blizzard where someone talks about some possible features of the interface. It was met with much criticism because what was provided was simply an elaborate presentation of the ideas, not an in depth way of functionality.
Strange as it may be, I think I recognize that voice and assume this is the same guy.
Because the combination of the features, the way it's worked out and presenting it in one of the earliest stages share similarities.

I know I'm being harsh and possibly intolerant but if this cannot be made workable outside a custom map the value is questionable. Either I''m completely wrong or it's the subscript in the title that's added because it's in the spotlight. I feel that subscript implies that this is usuable for cast which I believe it is not.
Final note. I notice I'm making the assumption that it's only legit when used during a live game or replay. The argument can be made that an empty map can be used as a segment, like an introduction. However that only requires a picture and minor video editing or simply drawing with paint to accomplish. Limiting to that use, I again will question the value.



this is an overlay, so it's compatible with every map.
You don't need the colors, but as soon as hotkeys are implemented, why not have them?
I don't think this has anything to do with the blizzard feature.
Questioning the value is fine, but why? nobody has to use it, it's just a tool that can be used by casters if they want. again, it's just an overlay, so it doesn't really matter, i'm just wondering what you have against the initiative, given that it's just a third party program. Actual input would be more helpful.


How is it an overlay? I don't have access to the mod nor does it state anywhere I have seen that it is standalone and not a custom map. Looking at the whole implementation, it seems to modify the UI, I think that's good argumentation to for now assume that it is a custom map.
I really don't mind being wrong, but if you don't provide me with something tangible, I cannot justify changing my stance.
If it was an overlay then how do you toggle between them. Considering one layer will be transparent, you can draw on this, you cannot simultaniously move the map around. That seems like it would be really inconvinient to use and makes it close to just editing a static image with the drawings.

That you think it has nothing to do with the blizzard feature has little worth when I put forth a couple arguments to support why I think that it could very well be. And you provide none.

Any idea should be able to get torn apart, only when it withstands this the idea is good. When it doesn't withstand it you can modify it so that it will in the future. I would very much like to see some kind of tool like this happen but the way this has been approached makes me very anxious if the goal is even to get to that core functionality or if it's just a way to make something fancy. Something fancy that at the core of it, doesn't work well and adds things it shouldn't need (yet).

I think it's a valid concern to think that an approach of taking on too much can be detrimental to the success of the project. It would have a lot more chance of success if it would focus on the very basic and then expand it with fun features.
I don't appose the idea at all. I want to see it succeed.

So apart from what I have listed above, which I do count as actual input regarding the project which is the creation of the program. I added things like hotkeys are important and we don't need 6 colors, do just 2 but make them work really well. And if any of the concerns raised are valid then those becomes points to figure out a solution for as well.
Roadog
Profile Joined May 2012
Canada1670 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-19 03:43:35
May 19 2012 03:38 GMT
#164
This is a pretty timely tool. Many sportscasters already have some form of this. They even have fancier stuff like touchscreens, moving circles with text boxes and simulated 360-degree views.

It's pretty irritating though when an overzealous caster scribbles all over the screen with the illustrator. It will be up to the individual casters to monitor their use with them.

I can see this being used before, during (very rarely) and after each match, like with said many sportscasters.

It does need a pencil/paint free-draw tool.
sOs fan. Zerg just seem to have the most...potential. Dubbo Robo Colo! Why I play Protoss: Stalkers, bacon, toilets and mama -- Chelsea FC
emythrel
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom2599 Posts
May 20 2012 01:08 GMT
#165
On May 18 2012 23:40 legatus legionis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2012 20:46 Parnass wrote:
On May 13 2012 11:55 legatus legionis wrote:
Have to ask these questions. Does it actually work for replays since this is a custom map right? Can it actually be used as some kind of mod when you are a spectator of a game?
You can add it to a tournament map and make it usuable but I don't know how preferable that is. Could easily create issues.
Why would it need 6 different colors? The most important function is the ability of pointing out things you are talking about. This can be done with one color so 2 would be more than fine. Then it becomes easier to add the much needed hotkeys. Going over and clicking should not be acceptable.
Hope this helps push the tool since it's something everyone has thought up since beta, yet it never came.

In addition, a while back there was a video released which was an application to blizzard where someone talks about some possible features of the interface. It was met with much criticism because what was provided was simply an elaborate presentation of the ideas, not an in depth way of functionality.
Strange as it may be, I think I recognize that voice and assume this is the same guy.
Because the combination of the features, the way it's worked out and presenting it in one of the earliest stages share similarities.

I know I'm being harsh and possibly intolerant but if this cannot be made workable outside a custom map the value is questionable. Either I''m completely wrong or it's the subscript in the title that's added because it's in the spotlight. I feel that subscript implies that this is usuable for cast which I believe it is not.
Final note. I notice I'm making the assumption that it's only legit when used during a live game or replay. The argument can be made that an empty map can be used as a segment, like an introduction. However that only requires a picture and minor video editing or simply drawing with paint to accomplish. Limiting to that use, I again will question the value.



this is an overlay, so it's compatible with every map.
You don't need the colors, but as soon as hotkeys are implemented, why not have them?
I don't think this has anything to do with the blizzard feature.
Questioning the value is fine, but why? nobody has to use it, it's just a tool that can be used by casters if they want. again, it's just an overlay, so it doesn't really matter, i'm just wondering what you have against the initiative, given that it's just a third party program. Actual input would be more helpful.


How is it an overlay? I don't have access to the mod nor does it state anywhere I have seen that it is standalone and not a custom map. Looking at the whole implementation, it seems to modify the UI, I think that's good argumentation to for now assume that it is a custom map.
I really don't mind being wrong, but if you don't provide me with something tangible, I cannot justify changing my stance.
If it was an overlay then how do you toggle between them. Considering one layer will be transparent, you can draw on this, you cannot simultaniously move the map around. That seems like it would be really inconvinient to use and makes it close to just editing a static image with the drawings.

That you think it has nothing to do with the blizzard feature has little worth when I put forth a couple arguments to support why I think that it could very well be. And you provide none.

Any idea should be able to get torn apart, only when it withstands this the idea is good. When it doesn't withstand it you can modify it so that it will in the future. I would very much like to see some kind of tool like this happen but the way this has been approached makes me very anxious if the goal is even to get to that core functionality or if it's just a way to make something fancy. Something fancy that at the core of it, doesn't work well and adds things it shouldn't need (yet).

I think it's a valid concern to think that an approach of taking on too much can be detrimental to the success of the project. It would have a lot more chance of success if it would focus on the very basic and then expand it with fun features.
I don't appose the idea at all. I want to see it succeed.

So apart from what I have listed above, which I do count as actual input regarding the project which is the creation of the program. I added things like hotkeys are important and we don't need 6 colors, do just 2 but make them work really well. And if any of the concerns raised are valid then those becomes points to figure out a solution for as well.


its a directx hook. it works similar to how xfire does when you use their in game web browser or chat, it is a stand alone program that hooks in to sc2 memory and draws itself over the top.
When there is nothing left to lose but your dignity, it is already gone.
Mindsc2tv
Profile Joined May 2012
Poland4 Posts
May 20 2012 13:33 GMT
#166
I'm currently alpha tester of this program and I have to say it - it's really awesome! Now it's easier to explain players tactics and to highlight certain places.
HerbMon
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States472 Posts
May 20 2012 15:06 GMT
#167
On May 13 2012 01:42 ampson wrote:
Now John Madden can cast SC2! Finally!

ooo god i would love to hear that. xD
How we will win in the period ahead.
MrKn4rz
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany2153 Posts
May 22 2012 04:41 GMT
#168
Like other people allready mentioned. Excellent for post replay analysis or map analysis before a match but terrible for a live cast. I'm guessing that this is the intention anyways.
"We don't take kindly to folks who don't take kindly around here..."
Kustom
Profile Joined January 2012
France5 Posts
May 27 2012 08:09 GMT
#169
Hello,

I'm an alpha tester, and i made a couple of videos using the map overlay to test the software, and it looks good : you can watch it right here
For a moment there, I thought we were in trouble.
Redbeard13
Profile Joined March 2012
United States4 Posts
May 28 2012 03:55 GMT
#170
Now we just gotta have John Madden commentating and it will be perfect!!
evilguy13
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom141 Posts
May 28 2012 23:08 GMT
#171
I am a beta tester and I have to say. This thing works so well and is a lot of fun, the only suggestion I have given is to add a free draw feature for comedic purposes.
Host of Caster Challenges, manager/caster of TLR eSports, caster for inStarcraft.de, host/caster of Fast Expand, pusher of the UK scene
v3chr0
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States856 Posts
May 28 2012 23:12 GMT
#172
This looks great, i hope this is used some time soon, I'd love to see it in action. Especially to go over new maps, or talk about positions, ah the possibilities are endless.
"He catches him with his pants down, backs him off into a corner, and then it's over." - Khaldor
RoboBob
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States798 Posts
July 28 2012 03:52 GMT
#173
Is there any update on when this will be available live? It looks like the twitter feed and website have not been updated for the past two months. I'm worried that something has happened to it, can any testers update?

Even if the project's dead, I'd still love to download it and try it out. Theres nothing better out there yet.
Lumi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1616 Posts
August 22 2012 12:33 GMT
#174
Just followed you on twitter, eager to hear some updates on this!
twitter.com/lumigaming - DongRaeGu is the One True Dong - /r/onetruedong
desRow
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2654 Posts
August 02 2013 22:56 GMT
#175
Is this project dead? It looked useful and functional even tho it was in beta. A shame it was never released publicly =(!
http://twitch.tv/desrowfighting http://twitter.com/desrowfighting http://facebook.com/desrowfighting
Lumi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1616 Posts
August 02 2013 22:59 GMT
#176
^ Yeah =\ This could have changed the face of the game, I don't see why it wouldn't have. It's sad that Blizzard doesn't do these kinds of things for their own games, anyway, though. Instead they run their own tournament, crowding all the others out, and occasionally remember to link one of the big tournaments in the sc2 bnet background. Occasionally. #jaded
twitter.com/lumigaming - DongRaeGu is the One True Dong - /r/onetruedong
KrazyTrumpet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2520 Posts
August 03 2013 02:56 GMT
#177
Can't most of this be done through the new UI customization wizardry?
www.twitch.tv/krazy Best Stream Quality NA @KClarkSC2
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1013
TKL 373
IndyStarCraft 244
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1013
ByuN 409
TKL 373
IndyStarCraft 244
BRAT_OK 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46773
Calm 3091
firebathero 161
actioN 139
Sea.KH 60
Free 43
Mong 30
Rock 28
ToSsGirL 28
Pusan 20
[ Show more ]
Aegong 17
soO 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc9201
Dendi1155
League of Legends
Reynor220
Counter-Strike
fl0m5052
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu180
MindelVK9
Grubby6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1723
FrodaN1002
B2W.Neo784
Beastyqt676
olofmeister555
Mlord463
Khaldor448
KnowMe305
crisheroes178
Livibee122
ToD5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick215
BasetradeTV9
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 25
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach64
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV550
League of Legends
• Nemesis3227
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1442
Other Games
• Shiphtur702
• imaqtpie8
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 47m
OSC
5h 47m
Replay Cast
5h 47m
OSC
18h 47m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.