• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:07
CEST 19:07
KST 02:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9539 users

Overcoming Ladder Anxiety - 7 Tips - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
TheWorldToCome
Profile Joined January 2012
United States452 Posts
April 27 2012 10:41 GMT
#41
On April 27 2012 07:52 Epoch wrote:
The most important tip is tip #8.

Tip #8 - Lose the ego. Stop giving a fuck about your ladder ranking, and winning games, and shift your focus to improving and having fun. And lose the sense of self entitlement, you aren't better than people. If they beat you, they won fair and square and it's your job to do better next time. This is the single most important tip.


This exactly. After I did this, no more anxiety at all, ever.
Starcraft 2 was designed to have a best race. You play the worst one.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
April 27 2012 12:07 GMT
#42
Great read. Well done
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
SanchoPanda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States117 Posts
April 27 2012 16:19 GMT
#43
On April 27 2012 14:24 Logan_ps wrote:
Thanks for posting. A good read. The thing that struck home the most for me was what you wrote about laddering being Character building. I've used the same techniques I used to beat agoraphobia to get over ladder anxiety. After all, there are far more difficult things in life - as you say, it's a game, we just need to go play!


Wow, that is awesome! My fav response so far. Looks like you could write your own article about ladder anxiety, and I would love to read it! =]
Siege the Day!
Meiya
Profile Joined August 2007
Australia1169 Posts
April 27 2012 16:55 GMT
#44
Yeah, this is an excellent post. I actually find the ladder anxiety thing fascinating myself: I've had some interesting IRL experiences and I have some concerning encounters with aggressive people quite regularly IRL, yet I find I tend to be more worried playing online RTS (in this case SC2) than in those situations...the same methods for growing character and (at the risk of sounding melodramatic) developing courage that we use in real life are applicable in SC2.

So yes, great thread OP.
Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands.
Phant
Profile Joined August 2010
United States737 Posts
April 27 2012 16:59 GMT
#45
Tip #8, read this blog =)

Nice work!
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 17:11:35
April 27 2012 17:01 GMT
#46
On April 27 2012 07:48 SanchoPanda wrote:
Watching the highlights now, it is funny how all I could remember was that handball. It’d totally forgotten Donovan missing two great looks, or the fact that Germany should have scored 2-3 other goals.


That game is the reason I stop watching Soccer and why SC2 is so great (granted with ref reviews that could have been fixed, but FIFA is ridiculous). Unfortunately, the Germans have the refs to thank for their win, and the Americans have the refs to blame for their loss in that FIFA match. To me, every sport with variables other than skill that effect the outcome seem so archaic now.

But in SC2 there are no judges to make bad or biased decisions, no referees to miss calls, and in 1vs1 no one else to rely on. Whether you win or lose, it's your fault, no one else is to blame but yourself. And because of this I think people get anxiety on the 1vs1 ladder in particular because they internalize and personalize things. When some people fail to win a game they believe it means they are a failure.
vervejl
Profile Joined October 2010
United States55 Posts
April 27 2012 17:24 GMT
#47
Every time i hit that search button, I just say " show me what you got " cause in the end of the day, its all about your skill level =)
the 4 "S" rule, supply, scv, scout, and spend ^_^
Twistacles
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1327 Posts
April 27 2012 18:24 GMT
#48
I used to have ladder anxiety when I barely played because of school and was struggling to remain in masters. Last season, for the first time, I got put into diamond. With that.. anxiety completely gone. If I'm okay with being Diamond then i dont give a shit if i win or lose, and i've put in a TON more games because of it and im actually improving

just play more and forget the icon. If people try to troll you and make fun of your rank or wtv, block em
"If you don't give a shit which gum you buy, get stride" - Tyler
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
April 27 2012 18:37 GMT
#49
Playing while skyping with someone who is playing as well is really great too.
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
Dusen
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark68 Posts
April 27 2012 18:41 GMT
#50
Again :O:O:O

Dunno how many of these threads there is now, god damn there is like a new one every week -.-
Press the "find game" butten and go.

You are not pro, since your not playing ladder, your probably pretty far from being pro, so just play.
Its a habbit, first step is hard after that its ez pz.
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
April 27 2012 20:58 GMT
#51
Thanks for the post, OP. Always GGing is my favorite tip. After developing the policy of always staying mannered, I feel much happier when I ladder, and it helps me focus on my own journey of improvement. Every time I lose to Dark Templars, I get a little better at holding them off. I come a little closer to recovering even though I missed scouting it out. So I see all my opponents as important people who are in my life to teach me to hold off early aggression.

On April 27 2012 08:29 Ermac wrote:
I no longer play this game actively, but while I did I couldn't help but ask myself one thing repeatedly.

If you have to force yourself to play a game for whatever reason, is it really a game you love to play?

At the moment I'm playing League of Legends and got hooked on ranked games pretty quickly. Strangely enough I'm not having any of the issues most people, including myself, know and/or have in SC2 with pressing that damnable "find match" button. On the contrary I sometimes have to stop myself from playing because I KNOW I am too tired to play a proper game but I just want to so desperately...

Thinking about it for some time I actually came up with some logical reasons why my behaviour and feelings playing League differ so much from those I had in SC2. But still... I believe what it comes down to is that the game is just more fun to me than SC2 was.


I see what you mean and I think it's commendable to have the self-awareness to be able to stop doing something that you genuinely don't enjoy when it comes down to it. Glad to hear you're having a great time with LoL.

Personally ladder anxiety is something I only get in "head to head" gameplay, though. I don't get nervous in 2v2. I suspect the point is that when I'm on a team I feel like someone's always got my back, and someone's always there to share the blame and pick me back up when we (inevitably) lose.

I didn't do sports as a kid so struggling with ladder anxiety is actually really helpful to me -- it helps me fight against inertia and accustoms me to competitive environments. So it's a form of personal development to me! And I don't have to worry about spending entire days just playing and playing like I would with Wintermaul in WC3 haha.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
SoniC_eu
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark1008 Posts
April 27 2012 21:08 GMT
#52
F***** nice post
<3<3
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. http://da.twitch.tv/sonic_eu
SHOOG
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1639 Posts
April 27 2012 21:22 GMT
#53
I do most of the things on this list! Good to see I've been doing the right things!

Getting to caught up in the anxiety really messes with my play, so anything to get my mind off of points and ranks helps.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
April 27 2012 21:28 GMT
#54
These tips are really helpful

As someone who gets worked up, is really competitive, and sometimes takes things too seriously, I definitely need to keep some of these things in mind ^^
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
SanchoPanda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States117 Posts
April 28 2012 05:24 GMT
#55
On April 28 2012 05:58 Altercate wrote:
Thanks for the post, OP. Always GGing is my favorite tip. After developing the policy of always staying mannered, I feel much happier when I ladder, and it helps me focus on my own journey of improvement. Every time I lose to Dark Templars, I get a little better at holding them off. I come a little closer to recovering even though I missed scouting it out. So I see all my opponents as important people who are in my life to teach me to hold off early aggression.


Yay! Well said. It's amazing how being kind to others whether you feel they 'deserve it' or not, makes it SO much easier to have a positive outlook. Your reply just reconfirms it and encourages me, so THANKS RIGHT BACK!

Also, i'm starting to like the nickname OP
Siege the Day!
Fragile51
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands15767 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 17:26:00
April 28 2012 17:20 GMT
#56
On April 28 2012 14:24 SanchoPanda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 05:58 Altercate wrote:
Thanks for the post, OP. Always GGing is my favorite tip. After developing the policy of always staying mannered, I feel much happier when I ladder, and it helps me focus on my own journey of improvement. Every time I lose to Dark Templars, I get a little better at holding them off. I come a little closer to recovering even though I missed scouting it out. So I see all my opponents as important people who are in my life to teach me to hold off early aggression.


Yay! Well said. It's amazing how being kind to others whether you feel they 'deserve it' or not, makes it SO much easier to have a positive outlook. Your reply just reconfirms it and encourages me, so THANKS RIGHT BACK!

Also, i'm starting to like the nickname OP


Save the pandas!

EDIT: Seriously though, some really good points made and written in a really good way. Props! :D
Tolkor
Profile Joined April 2012
United States2 Posts
April 28 2012 17:28 GMT
#57
Love the helpful tips!! One thing that I have found to be helpful is talking to someone between games. Helps to get my brain stimulated in other areas and relaxes the mind a bit. As long as its not arguing with your GF as to what she wants to do later that night instead of playing SC2 >_>

Keep up the good work Panda!!
WHAT!??!? SKEET SKEET SKEET!!! YEAH!!!
bloodmeat
Profile Joined August 2010
United States160 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 17:35:00
April 28 2012 17:34 GMT
#58
All of these are good, but I really agree with number 6. When I first started playing I would always get so upset when I lost and would often just rage quit without giving my opponent a 'gg'. This was especially true when I was cheesed. I eventually made up my mind that I was going to 'glhf' and 'gg' all of my opponents no matter what strategy they used on me. Since I started doing that my mood has elevated greatly while playing games.

It's almost as if all your frustration goes out the window as you give out that 'gg'.
Your mom is ruining esports.
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
April 28 2012 17:43 GMT
#59
On April 28 2012 14:24 SanchoPanda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 05:58 Altercate wrote:
Thanks for the post, OP. Always GGing is my favorite tip. After developing the policy of always staying mannered, I feel much happier when I ladder, and it helps me focus on my own journey of improvement. Every time I lose to Dark Templars, I get a little better at holding them off. I come a little closer to recovering even though I missed scouting it out. So I see all my opponents as important people who are in my life to teach me to hold off early aggression.


Yay! Well said. It's amazing how being kind to others whether you feel they 'deserve it' or not, makes it SO much easier to have a positive outlook. Your reply just reconfirms it and encourages me, so THANKS RIGHT BACK!

Also, i'm starting to like the nickname OP


Frustration can be tough to deal with and does bad things to people when we succumb to it! I find it helps to remember that most people are nice when you get to know them, and most BM and anger encountered while laddering is just frustration being vented. IME if you try to stay calm and respond to frustration with kindness, MOST people turn out to be pleasant once they calm down! I've met my best "StarCraft friends" that way.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
creamyturtle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States487 Posts
April 28 2012 19:21 GMT
#60
Interesting article, but I think the only real way to overcome ladder anxiety is to ladder. Systematic Desensitization. The only way to get used to war is to be on the front lines my friend.
Terran it up.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 230
ProTech143
UpATreeSC 117
BRAT_OK 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3698
Bisu 1906
Soulkey 1161
EffOrt 723
Mini 533
Larva 344
Horang2 239
ZerO 238
actioN 160
Dewaltoss 153
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 153
hero 89
Sharp 78
Mind 75
Shinee 56
Sea.KH 52
sorry 49
Snow 40
Hyun 39
Barracks 36
Bale 29
Trap 24
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 20
NaDa 17
Rock 15
Sacsri 11
scan(afreeca) 11
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5870
Dendi1394
XaKoH 371
420jenkins364
League of Legends
Reynor67
Counter-Strike
fl0m3866
x6flipin1307
pashabiceps720
Fnx 655
edward26
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu242
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1462
Grubby1207
hiko831
FrodaN579
XBOCT238
Livibee215
TKL 125
C9.Mang0110
QueenE92
Mew2King40
ZerO(Twitch)25
RotterdaM18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 72
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV685
League of Legends
• Nemesis3850
• TFBlade825
Other Games
• Shiphtur528
• imaqtpie106
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 53m
Patches Events
22h 53m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.