• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:40
CEST 08:40
KST 15:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8588 users

Overcoming Ladder Anxiety - 7 Tips - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
OrChard
Profile Joined February 2011
Hong Kong1119 Posts
May 03 2012 16:23 GMT
#101
I was really benefited by this thread not just on sc2 but on examination.
I will try it in my examinations <3
Thanks a lot
Protosser
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
May 03 2012 16:28 GMT
#102
Pretty accurate yes. I agree with every point.
Pharnax
Profile Joined October 2011
Denmark42 Posts
May 03 2012 16:31 GMT
#103
Great compilation of advice, I overcame my ladder anxiety almost 2 years ago, and I can verify that these points are certainly vital to most people when dealing with the issue. Awesome read!
Balgrog
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1221 Posts
May 04 2012 17:48 GMT
#104
I believe the GG part is the biggest, keeps you from getting overly frustrated which then ruins your other games, and you are basically just wasting practice time at that point. Great write up!
The only way to attack structure is with chaos.
Schickysc
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada380 Posts
May 10 2012 05:45 GMT
#105
So after a local tournament, and watching all the recent events, i had the urge to play again. i read this article and thought it helped me a little.

turns out.... it helped me greatly! i hated ladder and always got upset when i was losing to stupid stuff. ive stopped caring about losses, and just focused on having fun. cant say ive had this much fun with starcraft 2 since beta when i was casting. ive almost reached 100 terran wins, been promoted to diamond (started plat), and just used the self rewards system to purchase myself some computer upgrades since ive reached my goal (100 terran wins or a league promotion) i havent bought myself anything computer related since i quit casting and this was the perfect excuse!

not only has this helped me, but i told my bestfriend about the article and have been sending him all my replays.... now he is going to get back into playing! so exciting. thanks again... you truely turned my outlook on ladder around. id donate to you if i could!

sorry for the lack of punctuation, blame apple.
Shoot for the Moon, Find a Star
SanchoPanda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States117 Posts
May 10 2012 07:05 GMT
#106
On May 10 2012 14:45 Schickysc wrote:
So after a local tournament, and watching all the recent events, i had the urge to play again. i read this article and thought it helped me a little.

turns out.... it helped me greatly! i hated ladder and always got upset when i was losing to stupid stuff. ive stopped caring about losses, and just focused on having fun. cant say ive had this much fun with starcraft 2 since beta when i was casting. ive almost reached 100 terran wins, been promoted to diamond (started plat), and just used the self rewards system to purchase myself some computer upgrades since ive reached my goal (100 terran wins or a league promotion) i havent bought myself anything computer related since i quit casting and this was the perfect excuse!

not only has this helped me, but i told my bestfriend about the article and have been sending him all my replays.... now he is going to get back into playing! so exciting. thanks again... you truely turned my outlook on ladder around. id donate to you if i could!

sorry for the lack of punctuation, blame apple.


This post alone made the whole article worth the effort imo!
Please send me some replays too!
sanchopandasc@gmail.com
Siege the Day!
Highlander.
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada3 Posts
May 10 2012 07:05 GMT
#107
Really well put together, Prep like a pro is something I recently started doing and it's helped significantly :D
Root 4 Root :D
DropTester
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia608 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-10 07:47:17
May 10 2012 07:46 GMT
#108
I agree watching pro plays gives me the urge to play again, I think skyping was the best motivational feeling I had to ladder, but my friends having been playing as much and so I've lost this.
music is really good too
Opasmea
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom34 Posts
June 09 2012 05:36 GMT
#109
very good read, don't seem too scared of playing myself (not as much as I used to be) but it was very interesting to read these tips.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 06:01:39
June 09 2012 05:59 GMT
#110
Here's the best tip.

It doesn't matter if you lose, it doesn't even matter if you lose 20 games in a row, because the ladder is always right in the long run, and you will be placed correctly in the ladder. Due to MMR, the ladder is self-correcting so it's impossible to stuff up your profile and losing doesn't matter.

On the flip side, large temporary win streaks also don't matter for the same reason too.
AC3
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada337 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 06:49:06
June 09 2012 06:48 GMT
#111
The GG'ing with style might be the best tip of them all. When I get immensely frustrated during ladder sessions, like a strong majority of you out there, this anger is almost assuredly self-directed. If I play a macro game with an opponent and they straight up outplay me, I try to have the presence of mind to "gg wp" them. Even better is to complement them on an aspect of their play that was superb. If my zerg opponent is drowning me in creep, I complement them on that; if my terran counterpart is picking my apart with drop ship harass I try and give them props for that. So on and so forth. Not F10 "N'ing" as soon as I type GG lets me destress and evaluate what I've done wrong in the game, and come to terms with that. Barring your opponent being a real ass, you can generally have a short pleasant conversation upon giving them a genuine compliment. For me, this gives me motivation to hit the Find Match button another time without a pissed off losers attitude.
"The idea is to try to give all of the information to help others to judge the value of your contribution; not just the information that leads to judgment in one particular direction or another" -- Richard Feynman
CaptainAmerica
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States89 Posts
June 09 2012 07:09 GMT
#112
I like 'em, but I especially like #8. That and surround yourself with the game. Make in-game friends and out-of-game starcraft friends. Read about the game and really submerge yourself inside it. Then, it's just natural to want to play SC2.
Give Credit Where It's Due
Coeus1
Profile Joined May 2010
Finland160 Posts
June 09 2012 07:59 GMT
#113
I really strongly support the tip about GG'ing with compliments. It's the magic one for me.

Someone cannon rushes you and says even something mild like "LOL" before you are forced to leave.
How do you feel? Logically you should not feel bad, but you do. "I've just lost to an idiot, I suck."

I've done all three of these:
1) Ragequit -> Your bad mood doesn't go away, you don't want to play, you feel like a loser
2) Rage -> You get twice as angry yourself, you feel like an idiot and bad at this game
3) Compliment -> In one or two minutes, you don't feel bad about the loss. Your mind realizes it was just a game and the other guy won. It's magic!

To me this was an amazing discovery and helped me to play thousands of games. -) But have to admit I sometimes forget this rule.. especially when playing tired.
xxx
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
June 09 2012 08:08 GMT
#114
Great post. :D Personally what got me playing a lot is the idea of a schedule, where I have to play X amount of games a day.


On April 27 2012 08:29 Ermac wrote:
I no longer play this game actively, but while I did I couldn't help but ask myself one thing repeatedly.

If you have to force yourself to play a game for whatever reason, is it really a game you love to play?

At the moment I'm playing League of Legends and got hooked on ranked games pretty quickly. Strangely enough I'm not having any of the issues most people, including myself, know and/or have in SC2 with pressing that damnable "find match" button. On the contrary I sometimes have to stop myself from playing because I KNOW I am too tired to play a proper game but I just want to so desperately...

Thinking about it for some time I actually came up with some logical reasons why my behaviour and feelings playing League differ so much from those I had in SC2. But still... I believe what it comes down to is that the game is just more fun to me than SC2 was.

1v1 is the ladder button that is hard to press. Not team games, which actually do compare to LoL.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
oemoR
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada29 Posts
June 21 2012 03:06 GMT
#115
I just registered today and I must say, I'm quite dazzled with the degree of communication within this community. I've read a number of threads and they've all been interesting reads... I never knew that there was so much going on behind the scenes of the tumbleweed ghost town Blizzard calls their Sc2 chatrooms.

I'm truly intrigued!

With regards to the OP, I particularly like the tip about shaking out one's wits - I'll have to focus hard and tell myself that perfection isn't all that matters.



Follow the breadcrumbs.
PardonYou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1360 Posts
June 21 2012 03:21 GMT
#116
Great thread, very interesting. It's good to keep all these in mind. I listen to classical music to get myself in the calm mood.
oneill12
Profile Joined February 2012
Romania1222 Posts
June 30 2012 15:35 GMT
#117
Nice read!!!
SanchoPanda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States117 Posts
July 17 2012 13:51 GMT
#118
On June 21 2012 12:21 NexRex wrote:
Great thread, very interesting. It's good to keep all these in mind. I listen to classical music to get myself in the calm mood.

Whoa! Haven't tried classical music before... usually more upbeat stuff. I'll have to give that a try. =]
Thanks for the input.
Siege the Day!
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 253
ProTech132
Nina 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 195
Dewaltoss 119
sSak 37
Bale 30
ZergMaN 22
NotJumperer 11
Noble 11
Icarus 7
yabsab 6
League of Legends
JimRising 652
Other Games
summit1g10849
Sick190
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick851
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1237
• Lourlo1110
• Stunt602
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 20m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 20m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 20m
Replay Cast
16h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.