• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:00
CEST 09:00
KST 16:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9549 users

Overcoming Ladder Anxiety - 7 Tips - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Wafflelisk
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada1061 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 19:33:20
April 28 2012 19:30 GMT
#61
I don't suffer from ladder anxiety, and I was gripped by your post until the last word. I think that's a sign that it was a great OP? :D

Thank you very much!

PS a tip I have (maybe it'll apply to other people?) is say "gg ty".. maybe it sounds stupid, but for me I'm thanking my opponents because they've exploited a weakness in my play that I can make a mental note of and focus on for future games. They've kind of acted as a mentor and helped me improve. This helped to eliminate my ladder anxiety because I have nothing to fear going into a game because I know going in either I 1) become better at SC2 2) get the warm feeling of winning
Waffles > Pancakes
Wafflelisk
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada1061 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 19:33:39
April 28 2012 19:33 GMT
#62
nvm should have edited my first post when I thought of my PS -.-
Waffles > Pancakes
Noyect
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Sweden129 Posts
April 28 2012 19:45 GMT
#63
Really nice post
Music helped me quite a bit, not listening to in game warnings made me more alert I feel.

The one thing that really helped me get over my ladder anxiety though was realizing that the absolute best thing that could ever happen to me would be to go down to bronze league.
Why? Because then I wouldn't have to worry about rank or league or anything.
That really allowed me to start enjoying the game and not care about winning or losing but just having fun and improving.
VaultDweller
Profile Joined January 2011
Romania132 Posts
April 28 2012 21:13 GMT
#64
Really good tips. In my case, three things got me over my severe ladder anxiety:
1. I forced myself to click that find match button over and over until it became almost a reflex.
2. I used to instantly mute my opponent after we exchanged glhf's because I respond poorly to BM and the ladder is full of it. Now that I'm over it I don't really bother with muting anymore. I can see this solving the problem a lot of ppl have with the idea of being "alone" with a random guy... it might sound pretty wierd but I know a lot of ppl that are like that.
and last but not least
3. I stopped caring about my league or rank ( this is probably the big one).
"War is not about who's right- it's about who's left."
Mr Showtime
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 21:15:11
April 28 2012 21:14 GMT
#65
This was going to be my response

But you really did a fantastic job here. Great post!
FuRRyChoBo
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States218 Posts
April 28 2012 21:25 GMT
#66
I wrote a blog post about this a while back, more about just having the right frame of mind rather than things you can do to artificially calm yourself down.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=299333
Atoissen
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway1737 Posts
April 28 2012 21:26 GMT
#67
Good thread =)
“Strength lies not in defense but in attack.”
dfraz
Profile Joined February 2012
10 Posts
April 28 2012 21:54 GMT
#68
great post. I find myself sometimes getting those jitters before laddering. Gonna start warming up with the marine split or something similar now
Mastermyth
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands207 Posts
April 28 2012 22:13 GMT
#69
On April 29 2012 04:45 Noyect wrote:
The one thing that really helped me get over my ladder anxiety though was realizing that the absolute best thing that could ever happen to me would be to go down to bronze league.
Why? Because then I wouldn't have to worry about rank or league or anything.
That really allowed me to start enjoying the game and not care about winning or losing but just having fun and improving.


I just actually did this. I lost all my placement matches on purpose and got placed in bronze. I've started playing again after 1.5 years of nothing, so my MMR was far above my abilities (was masters). Now I've played a few games and I can just relax more and focus on my macro, because I felt I cheesed too much before.
djukger
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany68 Posts
April 28 2012 22:18 GMT
#70
Way to beat ladder anxiety ^^ ? Play 20 games in a row, never have ladder anxiety again :D. I Always had ladder anxiety, even in wc3. So when you didnt play for a while you probably lose 15 games of those 20 and then losing isnt that big of a deal anymore ^^ when you lose like 10 games in row :D
Noro
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada991 Posts
April 28 2012 22:43 GMT
#71
Awesome thread. I really like you're ideas, and I hope people can learn something from this!

Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.
noidontthinkso
Profile Joined April 2011
Greece94 Posts
April 28 2012 23:03 GMT
#72
how i did it:

used my 2 guest keys to creat two accounts and play till the time is over :D
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz, GTX560 Ti, 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6
Mokorr
Profile Joined April 2012
Iceland4 Posts
April 28 2012 23:33 GMT
#73
First time posting, and it's this thread. Loved this!
SanchoPanda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States117 Posts
April 29 2012 04:20 GMT
#74
On April 29 2012 06:13 VaultDweller wrote:
Really good tips. In my case, three things got me over my severe ladder anxiety:
1. I forced myself to click that find match button over and over until it became almost a reflex.
2. I used to instantly mute my opponent after we exchanged glhf's because I respond poorly to BM and the ladder is full of it. Now that I'm over it I don't really bother with muting anymore. I can see this solving the problem a lot of ppl have with the idea of being "alone" with a random guy... it might sound pretty wierd but I know a lot of ppl that are like that.
and last but not least
3. I stopped caring about my league or rank ( this is probably the big one).


Oh yeah... i totally forgot about using the mute button! Good point! Thanks for sharing <3
Siege the Day!
iGX
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia414 Posts
April 29 2012 04:29 GMT
#75
i've recently considered giving up laddering but this thread is making me reconsider.

thanks a ton!
When your bases are ashes...then you have my permission to "GG".
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 29 2012 04:38 GMT
#76
Used to have really bad ladder anxiety, now i can just queue and play 30 or 40 games without leaving PC chair.

When you get anxious stop being anxious and be awesome instead. Just do it.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
nt-rAven
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada405 Posts
April 29 2012 04:56 GMT
#77
get owned
zcxvbn
Profile Joined August 2009
United States257 Posts
April 29 2012 05:33 GMT
#78
Great post, well written - one small nitpick in that in the first paragraph of the last tip, it's supposed to be cliché, not clique. But great advice!
NA: proberecall
sambo400
Profile Joined March 2011
United States378 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-29 05:36:07
April 29 2012 05:34 GMT
#79
I don't get why people feel so nervous when playing ladder.

I don't gg unless it actually was a good game, or the other player actually played well, in which case I will let them know. But I do take a moment to identify the key reasons for losing.

If you are suffering from ladder anxiety, you are putting too much emphasis on the present and need to have longer-term goals. Like for the next year or 6 months at a minimum. I do care about my ladder rank, but learning a lesson is even more important than any amount of ladder wins.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 29 2012 05:54 GMT
#80
Nice guide, and some different ideas/approaches I haven't seen and/or considered. This should be in strategy...? Though I guess it will see more viewers here, since it's not really strategy xD

this thread should be linked in the SC2 recommended guides thread heheh
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 258
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 273
Dewaltoss 104
Leta 56
sSak 52
Bale 37
NotJumperer 30
ZergMaN 21
Aegong 14
yabsab 8
Icarus 7
[ Show more ]
Noble 7
League of Legends
JimRising 606
Reynor0
Other Games
summit1g10839
Sick197
Nina86
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick809
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1615
• Stunt473
• Jankos255
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 1m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 1m
Replay Cast
16h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.