• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:00
CEST 13:00
KST 20:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)39Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8059 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 78

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 76 77 78 79 80 86 Next
SnuggleZhenya
Profile Joined July 2010
596 Posts
April 13 2012 13:44 GMT
#1541
On April 13 2012 19:36 -ForeverAlone- wrote:

My first impulse was to disagree with you... then I thought about why I never really laddered seriously. The whole "competition" aspect of leagues really is too annoying. Maybe that's not applicable to a lot of people... but being on top is important for me. The continual reminder that I suck and need to get better is actually a turnoff because it'd take a good amount of work to improve, and at the end of the day, this is only a video game. Leagues are great for people who take a game very seriously, but they might not have been the best option to keep casual gamers interested.


So "being on top" is actually not important to you, just the game telling you that you are on top is important to you.
You'll never get better being an angry nerd sitting alone in your room.
Fryght
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands254 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 13:52:55
April 13 2012 13:50 GMT
#1542
Main reason for me to play less 1v1 is that the seasons are so damn short now. Every once in a while I'll sit down for a good session, when I have time, but whenever I start feeling accomplished, bam! Ladder reset! Now, I know that that doesn't change your MMR, but it does undercut my personal perception of progress a lot. Like, last season I pushed hard to try to get promoted, went on a big win streak and then it placed me in the same league again. Other than the points I rack up, there is no way for me to figure out whether I'm actually making progress, other than promotions/demotions, maybe.

Then, instead, I prefer to play 4v4 for fun, as I don't really care about whether I win or lose.
Zurles
Profile Joined February 2009
United Kingdom1659 Posts
April 13 2012 13:51 GMT
#1543
mirror matches are the main reason I don't like playing.
Penecks
Profile Joined August 2010
United States600 Posts
April 13 2012 13:52 GMT
#1544
On April 13 2012 22:44 SnuggleZhenya wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2012 19:36 -ForeverAlone- wrote:

My first impulse was to disagree with you... then I thought about why I never really laddered seriously. The whole "competition" aspect of leagues really is too annoying. Maybe that's not applicable to a lot of people... but being on top is important for me. The continual reminder that I suck and need to get better is actually a turnoff because it'd take a good amount of work to improve, and at the end of the day, this is only a video game. Leagues are great for people who take a game very seriously, but they might not have been the best option to keep casual gamers interested.


So "being on top" is actually not important to you, just the game telling you that you are on top is important to you.


It's probably because becoming better begins to take an exponentially long amount of play time as one goes up. I mean I play a couple games every few days to stay in masters league, but what motivation do I have, I won't get to GM or even high masters unless I start to play hours everyday consistently. Its just such a giant leap upwards in terms of your dedication. And if you ever stop playing for even a minor period your play suffers significantly.

I'm not saying the game should coddle you like so many others, or that it should be easier or something, but I can understand where people are coming from.
straight poppin
Starshaped
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Sweden575 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 14:17:09
April 13 2012 14:16 GMT
#1545
I've been rank ~1 master (or whatever the equivalent was before master was introduced) since the start of the game, but didn't play at all last season, and I have no motivation to go back for the new season. This is in part because my computer is awful and I can't do more than a-move in bigger fights, but also because Blizzard seems to be doing every single thing around the game wrong.

Ladder is so solitary and mind-numbing. The social experience that goes hand-in-hand with games like WC3 is almost completely gone.

Ladder is incredibly convoluted. A simple win/loss ratio, with win percentages displayed for each race, is all I want. Or just show my actual rating, and not these leagues and divisions made just to make people feel good about themselves. Honestly, just do what WC3 did.

The game is too volatile and fights are over too fast. I can't count the number of games that have been 20 minutes of build-up only to culminate with a 10 second battle that decides the winner. And one mistake or misread early on and you lose to any number of cheeses/all-ins etc. Coming from WC3, this is just too frustrating for me to deal with in the long run. I wish micro were a bigger part of the game, essentially.

Then there are all the little things. No LAN, no replays online, no good custom game interface, one account only, few name changes etc. etc.

SC2 is a great game, but everything around it is average to sub-par, and I don't think it will have lasting power. Maybe HotS will save it.

And if anyone is playing SC2 for anything other than 1v1: Stop. SC2 is awful at everything except 1v1. If you want a good team/FFA experience I recommend WC3.
My Starcraft 2, gaming and e-sports-related blog: http://starshapedthoughts.blogspot.com/
Telcontar
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom16710 Posts
April 13 2012 14:24 GMT
#1546
I don't play it because I just don't find the game very interesting or fun these days. Of course all of the flaws with the UI, Bnet 0.2...etc doesn't help either.
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta.
HeyJude
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
April 13 2012 14:30 GMT
#1547
I loved the automated tourneys in TFT. If they did those but within each league it would be very cool and definitely get me laddering more.
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
April 13 2012 14:32 GMT
#1548
I don't play for a couple of reasons:

#1. I find sc2 boring as hell, literally the game just bores me. I don't even watch it anymore, and I really made a big effort to try to "get into" sc2 and fall in love with it like BW, but it just never happened.

#2. There are WAY better games out there. Dota 2 is so much more fun than sc2.

#3. Crappy interface, not a fan of Browder and the current designers, I think they are clueless. Valve on the other hand, knew how to please their audience and actually listens to what people want. Blizzard just does whatever the hell they want, if fans don't like it, "go play brood war", as phrased by Browder himself in an interview. Yeah I'm not going to waste another dime on a blizzard product with that attitude...
Coeus1
Profile Joined May 2010
Finland160 Posts
April 13 2012 14:39 GMT
#1549
I think it is perfectly ok that whiners and dislikers like the above poster stop playing the game and play other games. At least I can still find a game very fast. If search times go to 5 minutes or so, then I'll be sad. Hope HotS keeps it going strong!
xxx
~Maverick~
Profile Joined July 2010
United States234 Posts
April 13 2012 14:45 GMT
#1550
I was a high masters player before I stopped playing. I noticed that I just worked so hard that I eventually burned out. I've been having a lot more fun playing dota 2.
#roadto5kmmr
Crissaegrim
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
2947 Posts
April 13 2012 15:06 GMT
#1551
SC2 has not the shelf life of SCBW to me. It had a good run but the gimmicks, the lack of innovation and even useability has failed it big time. Even though I dont really keep up with both scenes (too into dota 2 atm), I still made an effort to watch the SCBW Proleague finals between SKT1 and KT. Sc2 will never have that allure because of the philosophy behind the game.
BritWrangler
Profile Joined October 2011
United Kingdom120 Posts
April 13 2012 15:19 GMT
#1552
mobas are a lot more social than 1v1 starcraft which is tha main reason I quit. Still watch the tournaments though.
striderxxx
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada443 Posts
April 13 2012 15:20 GMT
#1553
action will pick up once school exams are done and the summer kicks around!
hellzscream
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada3 Posts
April 13 2012 16:12 GMT
#1554
The lack of a social aspect killed the game for me. Also I liked playing custom maps when bored every now and then but with the current popularity system it's pointless. Honestly I think Blizzard purposefully killed the social aspect so that players dont stop playing WoW where the money is at for them
Saumure
Profile Joined February 2012
France404 Posts
April 13 2012 16:12 GMT
#1555
I really enjoy the ladder but sometimes I want to stop. Why? Mirror match
I do not really know for the other races, but ZvZ is really a pain. Since a couple of month, I have to play a lot more ZvZ since more players are enjoying zerg. Most of the time in ZvZ my opponent is complaining "n zvz in a row" or "zvz sucks".
I feel the same way, it just is not fun. We should be able to choose up to master if we want to play mirror or not...
Doso
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany769 Posts
April 13 2012 16:13 GMT
#1556
ladder-phobia i guess. Playing lots of mono-battle though =)
-ForeverAlone-
Profile Joined June 2011
274 Posts
April 13 2012 16:25 GMT
#1557
On April 13 2012 22:44 SnuggleZhenya wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2012 19:36 -ForeverAlone- wrote:

My first impulse was to disagree with you... then I thought about why I never really laddered seriously. The whole "competition" aspect of leagues really is too annoying. Maybe that's not applicable to a lot of people... but being on top is important for me. The continual reminder that I suck and need to get better is actually a turnoff because it'd take a good amount of work to improve, and at the end of the day, this is only a video game. Leagues are great for people who take a game very seriously, but they might not have been the best option to keep casual gamers interested.


So "being on top" is actually not important to you, just the game telling you that you are on top is important to you.

No, just that the whole focus on leagues reminds me that I suck, and if I want to be good it'll take way too much effort. Maybe it's just because the game isn't fun, or the lack of community... Honestly I'm not sure what makes me less excited to play.
omg terran is hard to play
Schnullerbacke13
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1199 Posts
April 13 2012 16:27 GMT
#1558
1) hidden mmr does not tell about your progress
2) ladder system is waay too serious business, why not let the players choose matchup, map and opponent strength and rate points/wins on an elo base ?
21 is half the truth
Hecaitomix
Profile Joined April 2012
United States21 Posts
April 13 2012 16:29 GMT
#1559
I played actively on Season 1 (Diamond), then before season ends, demoted to Platinum. That discouraged me a lot and barely played Season 2, did not play Season 3 and 4. I did not stop watching GSL/MLG and other tourneys though since Season 1.

Then season 5, I start playing again on 4v4, no pressure playing it due to it being a team game. Also, was scared to play 1v1. Scared of losing. When season 6 started, i play 1v1 again and sent me to Platinum, before it ends, demoted to Gold.
Now Season 7, I plan to focus back on 1v1, for some reason, my ladder phobia disappeared. Maybe because I keep reminding myself that I need to play to regain my confidence, and It's only a game. Why should I worry about losing, when I have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

My first post in TL! (stalker since SC2 started)

Many people are God, usually in a universe no bigger than their own minds, all-present, all-knowing. And yet, impotent outside the confines of their heads. And what God cannot do, men will attempt...
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
April 13 2012 16:34 GMT
#1560
On April 14 2012 01:29 Hecaitomix wrote:
I played actively on Season 1 (Diamond), then before season ends, demoted to Platinum. That discouraged me a lot and barely played Season 2, did not play Season 3 and 4. I did not stop watching GSL/MLG and other tourneys though since Season 1.

Then season 5, I start playing again on 4v4, no pressure playing it due to it being a team game. Also, was scared to play 1v1. Scared of losing. When season 6 started, i play 1v1 again and sent me to Platinum, before it ends, demoted to Gold.
Now Season 7, I plan to focus back on 1v1, for some reason, my ladder phobia disappeared. Maybe because I keep reminding myself that I need to play to regain my confidence, and It's only a game. Why should I worry about losing, when I have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

My first post in TL! (stalker since SC2 started)


Nobody cares about your rank, it doesn't mean anything. Just keep playing, if you get demoted to Silver, so what? Just keep playing and you'll eventually be where you deserve to be any ways. Fun is what is important.
Prev 1 76 77 78 79 80 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings31
CranKy Ducklings SOOP13
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2749
Bisu 1027
Horang2 681
Jaedong 589
Hyuk 499
BeSt 446
actioN 289
firebathero 257
Light 238
Zeus 210
[ Show more ]
Stork 171
Leta 138
Soulkey 135
EffOrt 117
Last 101
Soma 96
ZerO 76
Mini 74
Sexy 68
Pusan 64
Rush 57
Mong 46
ggaemo 43
Killer 42
Mind 38
Aegong 36
Shinee 35
soO 28
hero 27
Bale 23
ToSsGirL 21
PianO 19
sorry 16
Sharp 16
Terrorterran 15
NaDa 14
Free 13
Yoon 12
JulyZerg 11
HiyA 10
Shine 9
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Snow 5
Dota 2
Dendi140
Fuzer 115
League of Legends
Reynor62
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1521
shoxiejesuss1243
x6flipin224
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1919
crisheroes553
Other Games
gofns42287
singsing1863
XBOCT330
DeMusliM190
Mew2King164
Livibee109
B2W.Neo101
ArmadaUGS74
QueenE54
Liquid`LucifroN16
ZerO(Twitch)12
Chillindude9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream291
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH321
• LUISG 40
• StrangeGG 10
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2365
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h
Stellar Fest
2h
OSC
13h
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 23h
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
7 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.