• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:51
CEST 06:51
KST 13:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7458 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 76

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 86 Next
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 00:14:23
April 13 2012 00:13 GMT
#1501
On April 12 2012 09:23 xShade wrote:
When I play I ladder, but it's pretty casually. The game is pretty boring if you play it everyday for hours. Not to mention 50% of the time when I lose I just get BM'd either near the end of the game or after the game. They'll often send me a message and tell me how bad I am. I guess it gives them some sort of satisfaction, not really sure. Guess trolling is just too much fun for some people.

How do you know if you haven't done it? I'm pretty sure most pro-gamers and other people who play that much would disagree.
TigerKarl
Profile Joined November 2010
1757 Posts
April 13 2012 00:29 GMT
#1502
The game and the builds are getting pretty boring. I won't ladder 1v1 anymore until HOTS arrives.
iamtheoneneo
Profile Joined April 2011
144 Posts
April 13 2012 00:51 GMT
#1503
I think alot of people are just waiting for HOTS.
The new short season strucure creates less of an initiative for those players that only play a few games a week to actually play any - basically you have to be playing alot to get anything out of laddering.

the biggest issue though, is that the game just isnt fun anymore, why play sc2 and get stressed out when you could jump into any other mp game and 90% of the time have a great time.
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 01:07:04
April 13 2012 01:04 GMT
#1504
What makes games addicting/fun is that you play them and you get some sort of payoff. In world of warcraft its items, in games like starcraft and LoL its usually just the satisfaction from improving or ranking which I think is just a numerical measurement of the same.

But what about when you feel that you can't really improve much without increasing the amount of time you play.

I think a major problem with the game is that for a given level of time put into the game, most people will reach a point where they can no longer improve in relative terms without increasing their gameplay hours to an unacceptable level for them.

Say you are a mid master or even a lower league player and you have only 5-10hrs to play a week. It can be very difficult to improve and for each improvement you make you often make 0 relative gains since the higher your rank the more rapidly everyone else is also constantly improving.

This isnt a problem with a game like LoL because once you reach that point, you can just switch to another hero and start improving again, in starcraft you could switch to another race but the transition costs are massive to doing so and it takes a long time to reach your old level of proficiency.

And before you get into a, everyone can always improve arugmnet, I have over 5000 games played and I am a firm believer that a huge portion of starcraft skill comes from practice not theory, especially at higher levels where your mechanics have to be pristine to do well.

Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
April 13 2012 01:08 GMT
#1505
On April 13 2012 09:13 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2012 09:23 xShade wrote:
When I play I ladder, but it's pretty casually. The game is pretty boring if you play it everyday for hours. Not to mention 50% of the time when I lose I just get BM'd either near the end of the game or after the game. They'll often send me a message and tell me how bad I am. I guess it gives them some sort of satisfaction, not really sure. Guess trolling is just too much fun for some people.

How do you know if you haven't done it? I'm pretty sure most pro-gamers and other people who play that much would disagree.

A lot of people have tried playing that much for awhile, and a lot of people have gotten bored of it too.
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
April 13 2012 02:12 GMT
#1506
It's because Blizzard destroyed battle.net. The reason I played WarCraft III for 8 years pretty much without ever taking a significant break was because of the community and custom games. I laddered a lot as well but if you remove those other two (which SC2 basically did) then people including myself just lose the will to play.
o29
Profile Joined November 2010
United States220 Posts
April 13 2012 02:14 GMT
#1507
On April 13 2012 10:04 statikg wrote:
What makes games addicting/fun is that you play them and you get some sort of payoff. In world of warcraft its items, in games like starcraft and LoL its usually just the satisfaction from improving or ranking which I think is just a numerical measurement of the same.

But what about when you feel that you can't really improve much without increasing the amount of time you play.

I think a major problem with the game is that for a given level of time put into the game, most people will reach a point where they can no longer improve in relative terms without increasing their gameplay hours to an unacceptable level for them.

Say you are a mid master or even a lower league player and you have only 5-10hrs to play a week. It can be very difficult to improve and for each improvement you make you often make 0 relative gains since the higher your rank the more rapidly everyone else is also constantly improving.

This isnt a problem with a game like LoL because once you reach that point, you can just switch to another hero and start improving again, in starcraft you could switch to another race but the transition costs are massive to doing so and it takes a long time to reach your old level of proficiency.

And before you get into a, everyone can always improve arugmnet, I have over 5000 games played and I am a firm believer that a huge portion of starcraft skill comes from practice not theory, especially at higher levels where your mechanics have to be pristine to do well.



There are reasons to play Starcraft other than just to get better. Maybe you want to try a new build that you stole from a pro. Maybe you want to work on one of your own builds. Maybe you just have an urge to play Starcraft that you'd like to satisfy. Maybe you want to try out the new ladder maps.

Try playing random if you're bored of the game. I have about 7,500 games played and I don't find my interest in the game diminishing at all really.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
April 13 2012 02:29 GMT
#1508
A combination of schoolwork and being bored with the game. A win in SC2 never feels good.
:)
ePdeLay
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Australia220 Posts
April 13 2012 02:35 GMT
#1509
the concept of virtual moniezzz takes souls ezpz. that would be a good move by blizzard
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
April 13 2012 02:57 GMT
#1510
On April 13 2012 11:35 ePdeLay wrote:
the concept of virtual moniezzz takes souls ezpz. that would be a good move by blizzard


Haha, yeah I must admit that the huge amount of stuff you can unlock in LoL is what sometimes draws me to play the damn game.

Portraits are kinda lame, game should really add more unlockable crap to get Obessive people like me
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
RusHXceL
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1004 Posts
April 13 2012 03:15 GMT
#1511
I think they should give better "rewards" for playing their 1v1 no lan support game.

wink wink **
ChefTony
Profile Joined March 2011
United States68 Posts
April 13 2012 03:20 GMT
#1512
In my opinion casuals have stopped playing the game is because the game is not balanced for people with lower skill. Example it's much easier to 1-1-1 then to stop a 1-1-1 its much easier to 7 gate then to stop a 7 gate, it's much easier to 2 rax then to hold a 2 rax it's much easier to roach push at 12 minutes then to hold those 70 roaches. I think alot of people play more for just there ladder points they want to play long epic 30 minute games with clashing 200/200 armies. It's just not the case with 1v1 laddder in the lower brackets. Basicly you face either cheese or a very simple to execute timming push that takes more skill to hold off then to execute. I'm not saying the game is unbalanced or anything, but in the lower leagues these pushes simply just win or lose the game and really that's not that much fun even less fun when you dont even understand why it did or didnt work. I know the pros cry and whine about how the game is balanced for the casuals but I don't think htey understand that these tournaments have such high prize pools because casuals enjoy the game if the game loses it player base it will lose its viewers and it's prize pools.
-Switch-
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada506 Posts
April 13 2012 03:27 GMT
#1513
On February 13 2012 23:02 BeeNu wrote:
I don't have ladder fear I have ladder apathy, my goal with laddering was to always reach Masters league, once I reached that I just lost most of my incentive to keep laddering. :O

I've been preferring to just play PeepMode maps and screw around instead.


get grandmaster??
zionsc
Profile Joined December 2008
United States26 Posts
April 13 2012 03:28 GMT
#1514
I've played more 1v1 ladder in the last couple weeks than I ever have since release, and I just found out that my ladder anxiety was holding me back from enjoying one of the best multiplayer games I've ever experienced.

I don't know what I was afraid of, because this game is spectacular. It turns out that most of what I thought was so hard about this game, was mainly due to the rusty play that wears off after 5-6 games in a row. Also, drinking water while I play has improved my ability to focus tremendously.

I just thought I'd post this here, since everyone else seems to be so doom and gloom and I'd like others to see that there are still people enjoying this game.
groms
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1017 Posts
April 13 2012 03:44 GMT
#1515
Once I achieved my goals of getting into masters with two accounts I realized how lonely I was and decided to spend more time socializing irl. This is the first online game I have ever played that made me feel this way.

I haven't laddered in months and don't really care to watch all of MLG the way I used to. I only watched the finals of ipl b/c I was doing other shit.

I think my love for sc2 is fading...

I have a recurring dream that I'm running away from a terran player but the marauders keep slowing me down. - Artosis
Clipsey
Profile Joined March 2012
12 Posts
April 13 2012 03:48 GMT
#1516
I think it's because most of the enjoyment from this game seems to be from improving. The satisfaction of getting better at a difficult task. It's a fun game, but what keeps people playing is always trying to be better. The people who find it too hard and that it requires too much 'work'/skill to be good have probably already left, and most likely only came for the custom games.
Unifex
Profile Joined September 2010
United States68 Posts
April 13 2012 03:50 GMT
#1517
There is only so many times i can be cheesed before i get bored of it.

That and the game just needs more stuff, i know balance blah blah blah.... but the game just does not have enough units/buildings/races/maps.

kill619
Profile Joined December 2011
United States212 Posts
April 13 2012 03:52 GMT
#1518
On April 13 2012 09:51 iamtheoneneo wrote:
I think alot of people are just waiting for HOTS.
The new short season strucure creates less of an initiative for those players that only play a few games a week to actually play any - basically you have to be playing alot to get anything out of laddering.

the biggest issue though, is that the game just isnt fun anymore, why play sc2 and get stressed out when you could jump into any other mp game and 90% of the time have a great time.


the seasons were shortened, as well as bonus pools created, for people who dont play as much. longer seasons means people rack up more points and "casual" players have even less of a chance of ever catching them. as it is now, i always see people with less than 60 games in the top 25 of my division so unless your in or diamond or masters i find it hard to believe that shorter seasons are the reason people who dont play "often" dont rank dont wanna play
HypernovA
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada556 Posts
April 13 2012 03:53 GMT
#1519
On April 13 2012 11:12 JJH777 wrote:
It's because Blizzard destroyed battle.net. The reason I played WarCraft III for 8 years pretty much without ever taking a significant break was because of the community and custom games. I laddered a lot as well but if you remove those other two (which SC2 basically did) then people including myself just lose the will to play.


While this may be true, WC3 has survived for so long as well because of Dota (I know its a custom game but it did spawn an entire new genre of games)
EasyDee
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada5 Posts
April 13 2012 03:54 GMT
#1520
Strength is not the ability to remain undefeated, or possess unquestionable power; it's the ability to summon the power to push back after bein defeated. This is why strong players are so impressive, in every sport people make it look easy, but when you try for yourself you can feel the limitations. The pro players we all admire have talent, they worked hard to be the level they are. I think when people first start out in sc2 they find team liquid fast because they need to find build orders or general strats. This leads them to pros. A lot of people expect to use their strats and simply copy+win but it's a lot more difficult once you realize how much effort needs to be put in to stand out on the ladder or tournaments. The game taxes the mind for losing far more than other games. This I believe is because "terrible terrible damage" where a few misclicks or forgetting a vital upgrade can cost the game, some being 30+ minutes of hardcore desicion making and multitasking. The sheer rush of adrenaline is unlike any game I've played and is part of the reason I choose team games 3v3, 4v4. They are more forgiving on small errors which in 1v1 can end the game.
word
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech128
Nina 106
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2111
Shuttle 1037
Snow 106
Dewaltoss 54
Bale 36
Hm[arnc] 36
Noble 29
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm151
League of Legends
JimRising 615
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1127
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor661
Other Games
summit1g8380
C9.Mang0309
PiGStarcraft277
Mew2King176
ViBE57
ArmadaUGS33
RuFF_SC20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 21
• Response 18
• Letter147
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2348
League of Legends
• Lourlo1125
• Rush870
• Stunt292
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 9m
OSC
17h 9m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.