• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:57
CEST 06:57
KST 13:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7716 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 71

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 69 70 71 72 73 86 Next
Noro
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada991 Posts
April 10 2012 07:04 GMT
#1401
The social aspect is probably the biggest thing... The fact that when you lose a game, you're just staring at a blank screen with nothing besides the giant words Defeat right in your face, makes it tough. In games like BW where you can actually discuss games and work to improve in a social setting, even games like LoL with post game chatrooms. It just makes it sooo much better. I'm kind of puzzled why Blizz would over look that so completely.
Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.
2vs2.Zepiii
Profile Joined December 2011
Belgium134 Posts
April 10 2012 07:04 GMT
#1402
Because I'm team lover player (and master) and I almost never play 1on1 ! So sick that 2v2 isn't more popular while it's a mix a teamplay, skill and micro !
2v2 Protoss Master : twitch.tv/Zepiii || Best achievement - HotS 2v2 : Top2 World w/ Vermillion
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
April 10 2012 07:12 GMT
#1403
On April 10 2012 16:04 Zepiii wrote:
Because I'm team lover player (and master) and I almost never play 1on1 ! So sick that 2v2 isn't more popular while it's a mix a teamplay, skill and micro !


There's this weird community-wide contempt for team games in the SC scene. Has been the same with War3 too. People will play team games a lot, you'll find thousands of people with many more team games on their history than 1vs1 matches, yet as soon as you're talking about team games, everyone will treat it like the plague. People will ramble on about how team games take no skill, take away from the "real game" that is the solo ladder, and how it's a waste of time and server bandwidth bla bla bla. And this isn't just coming from high level players; you see these arguments thrown around in Bronze discussions as well.

And then they wonder why noone bothers to join the friendly, tolerant and open 1vs1 club.
Asturas
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Finland587 Posts
April 10 2012 07:15 GMT
#1404
Well, I played tons of 1v1s. I loved it. Also at some point I started playing team games.

The reason why today I almost don't play 1v1 on ladder is Bnet. There was a time when as a Platinum league player I played almost only with Diamonds. And I was mostly winning. But for some reason Bnet never gave me promotion to Diamond. So I discouraged and stopped playing. When I came back to 1v1 ladder moved on. I started to lose with Platinums and sometimes even with Golds. So this season I played only ~30 games on 1v1 ladder. I play only team games and sometimes I ladder on 1v1 KR server.

Anyway, I don't mind that Bnet 2.0 is lacking many important features. I am just angry that promotion rules are so ridiculous sometimes. League system makes me wanna advance. When I really feel I deserve it and I am angry and discouraged from playing. One more example. When I was in Gold league, before advancing to Platinum I played with few Diamond players. I lost most of those games (come on, I was Gold!). I understand that if I keep winning with Diamonds Bnet may have (or probably may have not...) promote me at some point to Diamond straight from Gold. But it is frustrating when you are winning most of your games and Bnet instead of promoting you is giving you too skilled opponents. Don't like this system and this is most important reason to me. That's why I stopped 1v1 laddering. Broken promotion system.
There are no boundaries, that's the final conclusion.
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
April 10 2012 07:16 GMT
#1405
The game isn't balanced around team games and there are a few team tournament around, but some did one tournament and then didn't choose to do any more.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
April 10 2012 07:52 GMT
#1406
On April 10 2012 14:33 tuho12345 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2012 11:51 Kenpachi wrote:
On March 15 2012 11:20 Leeto wrote:
Making you play to earn points to unlock stuff is a really good incentive. Games like LoL and HoN really bank off that.

Brood War?

tbh we didn't have much RTS games to play at that time beside BW lol

what time are we talking about? the game was still up and running in 2009.
And WC3 is still popular.
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
Hiea
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark1538 Posts
April 10 2012 08:11 GMT
#1407
I play as a top 3 Diamond Zerg on EU, I play quite abit, I started playing around december 2011, and i've got about 550 wins recorded, 250 or so this season.

Lately though I feel as if there isn't much point, you never seem to get promoted except if you win your placement game every new season, which happens for me, so atm i'm just staying top 3 diamond, hopefully get masters next season and hang about in low masters.

The reason i don't play much right now is because of the matchups, I don't mind "all in, cheese", I do however mind ZvZ, the matchup is so brutal in how the early game works, and the matchup for me just isn't FUN, its not a matter if i win or not, over 50% of my ZvZs that aint build order losses like 15hatch vs pool before overlord, but the matchup isn't fun for me.

My favorite matchup is ZvT, I really like that matchup, controlling mutas, ling/bane or infestor/ling, its really enjoyable. and I mostly play 15hatch, gas, pool builds, try and get some map control, I useally overmake some lings early and counterattack while they're hellions are outside my base, its fun.

I also like ZvP, in this matchup I use a lot of aggressive builds lately, because i've had a hard time dealing with 2base "all-ins", and doing things like expand, 30 drones and get 18 roaches followed by lings, it almost always kills their nexus if its on a map with a wide open natural, or something like expand, get 7 roaches and attack, if they try and tech VERY quickly then I can do some damage, kill probes, kill sentries, or the nexus, depends on the map.

I just wish there was a filter to choose your matchups, I HATE ZvZ, I wish i could play TvZ, ZvT and ZvP.

Right now for me, to get way better, i'd have to spend a lot more time, I consistently beat mid/low masters, but I feel that because zerg is a reactive race, you can't really do whatever you want till lategame, because protoss/terran got walls to prevent that.

I feel protoss or terran can be like "Hey, I wanna do this wonky attack" and succed if zerg doesn't know it, but for zerg, you have set "all ins" early aggresion, like a 7 roach rush, baneling bust, or the roach/bane bust in zvt.
These are VERY powerful attacks, but also predictable, a protoss or terran can do some sort of wierd aggresive build and catch you off guard.

My last idea for the latter would be to seperate your account to have 4 different "ladder accounts", one for zerg, one for protss, one for terran and one for random.
I really wanna play terran, but my friends stopped playing, and if I queue up on the ladder as terran, I get stomped because I don't know the builds perfectly, my macro is far inferior to that I have as zerg. I would say my terran is mid platinum / top gold, my micro is really good with bio, my tank use is pretty awful, but I can't practise it because i'll get paired with people far better at the matchup than me.
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
April 10 2012 08:44 GMT
#1408
The reason I stopped playing was wanting to throw up every time I saw 200/200 armies as explained here. That in combination with disgusting unit design makes this simply a bad pc game for me.
sorry for dem one liners
cameler
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada99 Posts
April 10 2012 09:47 GMT
#1409
On April 10 2012 17:44 NukeD wrote:
The reason I stopped playing was wanting to throw up every time I saw 200/200 armies as explained here. That in combination with disgusting unit design makes this simply a bad pc game for me.


Yeah I can't take SC2 that seriously. It is a miracle groups like EG and TL survive in the west.

However, it is still fun against PC in GTAI mode. I simply cannot ladder against nerds that take this game so seriously like most of the people I encounter.
Everyday I thank God I escaped from the Starcraft universe when I did. Saved so many hours of my life.
WartotheDeath
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1 Post
April 10 2012 10:12 GMT
#1410
BM BM and more BM. I just blocked everyone because I was sick of getting BMed every game. That helped a lot. I have never seen so much crap talk in a game. I d k. I don't remember it being that way in brood war and starcraft so much but wow. Then once everyone is blocked. You never really get to team up or meet anyone. On steam, my list is completely full of friends.

Of course battlenet 2.0 isn't great either. In custom games when someone joins and lags out. You have to wait a good minute or two for them to drop while everyone has to sit there. Yeah and like a lot of other people said what custom games? I used to love playing all the different ones in brood war. Hopefully the next patch takes care of this.

I also don't get why Blizzard balanced the game around the big championships so much. Couldn't you have just modded the competetive championship games and left other certain aspects alone for the rest of your game and players? That kind of design does not make much sense to me.

Lots of really good points brought up in this thread. Also first post hello.
"Whenever I see a world untouched by war, a world of innocence, a world of lush forests and clear rivers. I really just wanna nuke the crap out of it!" - Ghost
cameler
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada99 Posts
April 10 2012 10:22 GMT
#1411
On April 10 2012 19:12 WartotheDeath wrote:
BM BM and more BM. I just blocked everyone because I was sick of getting BMed every game. That helped a lot. I have never seen so much crap talk in a game. I d k. I don't remember it being that way in brood war and starcraft so much but wow. Then once everyone is blocked. You never really get to team up or meet anyone. On steam, my list is completely full of friends.

Of course battlenet 2.0 isn't great either. In custom games when someone joins and lags out. You have to wait a good minute or two for them to drop while everyone has to sit there. Yeah and like a lot of other people said what custom games? I used to love playing all the different ones in brood war. Hopefully the next patch takes care of this.

I also don't get why Blizzard balanced the game around the big championships so much. Couldn't you have just modded the competetive championship games and left other certain aspects alone for the rest of your game and players? That kind of design does not make much sense to me.

Lots of really good points brought up in this thread. Also first post hello.


THIS is what bothered me the most regarding the balance aspects. YES the game is balanced... just not for us...

Blizzard would rather "balance" the game for Code S rather than for us in lower leagues, even though the people in Code S could still pull the same bullshit moves that cheesers on ladder pull.

You don't balance the game to favour the cheesers in the early game, you balance to tone down the unit strengths across all races.

The fewer WHOA LOOK AT THAT COOL UNIT moments, the better.

What the hell is the mothership for other than for EYE CANDY?

Nerf EVERYTHING then I will play in a more macro oriented setting.

Yeah, NERF EVERYTHING...
Everyday I thank God I escaped from the Starcraft universe when I did. Saved so many hours of my life.
ngooo
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany102 Posts
April 10 2012 10:25 GMT
#1412
On February 18 2012 15:47 SoBeDragon wrote:
I guess the common ground with all of this is that there is little to no way to measure how you're doing. Since ladder points are worthless, it's hard to tell if you're getting better or not. I really wish they would just do away with this phantom point system and either reveal MMR or use the WC3 laddering system. Here's hoping that Battle.net gets revamped in HotS


Yeah that is exactly how I feeI about the game. You seemingly don't have any way to measure your progress/improvement with other people, aside from the ladder of your division.

It would be really great if Blizzard would implement something to show you how much you improved lately, like showing your MMR and not only the points and rank in your division with people you don't really know.
Even if there would be a clansupport, one could implement an internal ladder to compare the progress you have made with your clanmembers. It's the little things that give the game more sociablity.

Also it would be a great feature to watch replays with your friends in a group... There are just so much possibilities to make 1v1 ladder more attractive but I really don't see Blizzard doing anything.
Evangelist
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1246 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 10:40:33
April 10 2012 10:39 GMT
#1413
There needs to be a much, much better interface for playing custom games. The 1v1 ladder is where "serious play" takes place but 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and customs are where you have fun.

SC2 has the potential to be ten times larger than it currently is - the map making facilities built into the game are the best I've seen outside of Neverwinter Nights. It's a far more enjoyable game than LoL which after playing Terran in SC2 and the vastly more fun PvP of WoW feels just.. bad.

As for the 1v1 ladder, how to improve it?

- better chat
- more obvious improvement metrics
- let you see your damn MMR!

Seriously. Blizzard have made billions successfully employing the carrot approach. Let people see how good they are. Hell, I'm a teacher. You can't punish people into doing well. Doesn't work.
Fueled
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1610 Posts
April 10 2012 10:48 GMT
#1414
Open tournaments like Warcraft 3 that reward special items/portraits would be a great start.

I know there's already the daily tournaments like Playhem, but we need something from Blizzard.
The Wood League - Where a double gas opening can still mean a Marine/SCV all-in
EternalAce
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark8 Posts
April 10 2012 10:52 GMT
#1415
mine is pretty simple; stopped cause my computer cannot handle it -.-
however, it is quite stressful, and hard to "enjoy casually". I was the type of guy, who thought like "imma be the next top EU player", and then found out how much dedication and work it requires. also, I had alot of anger and problems irl, so I thought it would be best just to do something else. but I do miss the game now and then, and I will start again eventually.. when I get a new computer, but I believe I will play the game abit less. took it way too serious before.. but I love this game and rly look forward to hots! but I did make it high rank master, so maybe I could had become something never know. but progaming is just not me, it's not what I wanna do, but I love playing in general, but I also like to stand out of the crowd, and show that I am something special.
Tarfire
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada67 Posts
April 10 2012 10:56 GMT
#1416
I think you have to realize also it's not necessarily that the reasons for playing less are negative. I only played less ladder last season due to final projects and exams coming up with school.
Fueled
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1610 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 11:14:19
April 10 2012 11:13 GMT
#1417
I think a lot of it boils down to the lack of tournaments at certain levels of play. If you are a mid Masters player on NA and you hit your skill cap, there's pretty much nothing left to do in the game unless you enjoy constantly playing people of equal > higher level of play, knowing that you yourself can't get much better and that goes for any level of play outside of the pro scene.

Isn't the majority of the player base Bronze - Platinum? I can't remember that exact numbers off the top of my head, but I know most players are in that level of play. So like I said earlier, have daily tournaments like those in WC3, because I doubt the majority of casual players in the lower leagues know anything about the current non-blizzard sponsored daily tournaments. Have something on the front page when you log in that shows when the tournament is and what not and you'll start to see people logging in everyday to participate in them.
The Wood League - Where a double gas opening can still mean a Marine/SCV all-in
Mondieu
Profile Joined November 2011
Romania803 Posts
April 10 2012 11:29 GMT
#1418
the game just died for me. Played like 3 games per week in season 1 or 2 but even then it was just custom games. ( sota/raynor party etc). Since I reformatted my pc months ago I didn't even bother reinstalling the game. There are a log of funnier games around.
Evangelist
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1246 Posts
April 10 2012 11:34 GMT
#1419
And yes. Blizzard need to add incentives to compete. Tournaments for special unit designs and portraits/achievements/titles in the lower league and monetary rewards in the upper echelons in partnership with private companies.

There is a huge window of opportunity to make SC2 much bigger than BW ever was - it's a better designed game at its core and is being limited only by Blizzard's reluctance to deviate from the hands off strategy they're using atm.
whiterabbit
Profile Joined June 2009
2675 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 11:43:42
April 10 2012 11:38 GMT
#1420
Mostly because the way ladder works with leagues/divisions etc. If you are not in GM league you don't have access to proper ladder, that and high amount of needless BM, lack of proper chat channels is killing joy and thrill of laddering for me.

I remember how constantly hyped I was playing ladder and BNet WC3 tournaments on old BNet... now, I'll rather play Custom games in SC2.

If I could motivate myself to play crazy amount of games and give a shot for GM league I would play but then again if I was GM worthy player I wouldn't care about ladder for other reasons.

Even if I believe people at Blizzard aren't total morons and decisions/changes they make are carefully calculated I just can't understand reasoning behind terrible changes BNet 2.0 introduced, they basically killed everything good BNet as platform essentially stood for... and that, when I think about it, makes me kinda angry. Being angry on platform that servers as gateway to my gaming isn't best thing as initiative for playing.
NUTELLA y u no make me skinny?!?
Prev 1 69 70 71 72 73 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 225
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 536
Hyuk 451
Leta 77
NaDa 44
TT1 27
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm270
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Other Games
summit1g8740
WinterStarcraft474
Mew2King78
ViBE77
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1031
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream153
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2176
League of Legends
• Rush1369
• Lourlo1079
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 3m
INu's Battles
7h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
10h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 3m
Replay Cast
18h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 6h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.