• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:54
CEST 06:54
KST 13:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7464 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 86 Next
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
February 13 2012 17:04 GMT
#221
On February 14 2012 01:58 cactusjack914 wrote:
what a large drop in players just in the Americas between season 2 and season 5. 2/3's of the ladder is gone.


Its not exactly a fair comparison. Season 5 was only 2 months long which includes disruptions like the holidays, college starting back up, and a big lull in foreign tournaments (Homestory Cup was about the only good thing). Season 2 was about 4 months long.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
Usagi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Spain1647 Posts
February 13 2012 17:05 GMT
#222
On February 13 2012 23:08 hzflank wrote:
I have noticed that the idea of cheese does not exist with koreans, and perhaps this is an important part of why they are so good.


You know Nestea went to the group selections with a slice of cheese for Rain right? xD
ddrddrddrddr
Profile Joined August 2010
1344 Posts
February 13 2012 17:06 GMT
#223
Every game vs T I have to worry about a myriad of openings from terran that I may or may not be able to scout. Every game vs P I have to worry about protoss finding creative ways of cheesing me with cannons that I may or may not be able to stop. Every game vs Z I have to worry about finding a million roaches at my door because I made a round of drones at a bad time. Game has a shitty scouting system for Z that will not be addressed. Until it is I'm not going to bother with a ranking system where I'm tossing a coin see if I'm a "skilled" player.
MVega
Profile Joined November 2010
763 Posts
February 13 2012 17:06 GMT
#224
On February 14 2012 02:04 Smackzilla wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 01:58 cactusjack914 wrote:
what a large drop in players just in the Americas between season 2 and season 5. 2/3's of the ladder is gone.


Its not exactly a fair comparison. Season 5 was only 2 months long which includes disruptions like the holidays, college starting back up, and a big lull in foreign tournaments (Homestory Cup was about the only good thing). Season 2 was about 4 months long.


Pretty much. There are a lot of factors like that which aren't being considered by quite a few people. There isn't anything to freak out about, when there is you'll know, believe me. Heh.
bumkin: How can you play like 50 games per day... I 4gate 2 times then it's nap time
ShamTao
Profile Joined September 2010
United States419 Posts
February 13 2012 17:06 GMT
#225
I'll also say that my interest in SC2, while it is the game I hold dearest to my heart, will fluctuate - I haven't played much the past few months, but am getting back into it. Taking a break can freshen things up.
In the game of drones, you win or you die!
krisss
Profile Joined November 2010
Luxembourg305 Posts
February 13 2012 17:07 GMT
#226
battle.net 2.0
Once your casual gamer real life friends moved to another game, its nearly impossible to find any social contacts.
life is like fighting a dinosaur.. it's pretty hard.
HardlyNever
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1258 Posts
February 13 2012 17:08 GMT
#227
On February 14 2012 02:00 Hulavuta wrote:
I feel like it's because of all the meta-hype. Nobody would get upset if you just won or lost and that was the end of it. However, when you lose, there's a huge sign saying "DEFEAT" and it shows how many ladder points you lost and how far your drank dropped, and how badly you lost to a player you were even favored against.

This is made worse by the fact that any person can just pop in and check your match history, league placement, etc. and then mock you for it. A little game just becomes so pressuring.

I feel like having stats invisible (or at least just shown to the player) would help more casual players so that the game becomes actually about playing the game, instead of worrying about your rankings and what people think of those rankings. Competitive players would still have the stats and whatnot, but there's really no reason for it to be available to everyone.


I know what you are saying, but I don't want this. There is way too much hand-holding in games now. Blizzard hid losses for anyone that was below master, and people complained. I think that is enough.

I guess it is just different perspectives on the game. I know games are supposed to be "for fun," and that is fine, but there are 1000 casual games every year that exist just to make the player feel good about themselves. Keep Starcraft 2 competitive and honest.
Out there, the Kid learned to fend for himself. Learned to build. Learned to break.
nvs.
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada3609 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 17:09:11
February 13 2012 17:08 GMT
#228
In 100% honesty the game has gotten rather boring to play. I know there's this huge boom around SC2 as the greatest e-sport to ever grace God's earth and such, but to me the hard counter mechanics and the often "big ball" nature of the battles has dwindled my interest over time in actually laddering and such.
Rassy
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 17:09:25
February 13 2012 17:08 GMT
#229
feel like having stats invisible (or at least just shown to the player) would help more casual players so that the game becomes actually about playing the game, instead of worrying about your rankings and what people think of those rankings

But all stats already are invisible?
you cant see the amount of losses,or mmr, you cant basicly see annything.
there is no way to track your own progress wich is a huge omission and a reason why ladder is not popular, i would play 1 vs 1 if i could see my mmr, just as a challenge to see how high i could get it, but now there is just nothing to gain beside promotions based on vague rules
People will reach their skill cap sooner or later,
having to rely on giving people the impression that they improve is a fruitless road since everyone will at some point stop making progress, people who only play because they making progress will stop sooner or later, you need people that play because they like playing the game
Just make the ladder more convenient for people who just want to play games and are happy with the fact that they are not the best player in the world.
Give them their mmr, they wont run away, it will be an incentive for manny
aeRo-
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany15 Posts
February 13 2012 17:12 GMT
#230
i guess there are many players who are scared of playing 1n1 or they dont want to focuse so much on a game like they have to in 1v1 many of my friends for example ^^
bouhko
Profile Joined January 2012
193 Posts
February 13 2012 17:13 GMT
#231
On February 14 2012 02:08 HardlyNever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 02:00 Hulavuta wrote:
I feel like it's because of all the meta-hype. Nobody would get upset if you just won or lost and that was the end of it. However, when you lose, there's a huge sign saying "DEFEAT" and it shows how many ladder points you lost and how far your drank dropped, and how badly you lost to a player you were even favored against.

This is made worse by the fact that any person can just pop in and check your match history, league placement, etc. and then mock you for it. A little game just becomes so pressuring.

I feel like having stats invisible (or at least just shown to the player) would help more casual players so that the game becomes actually about playing the game, instead of worrying about your rankings and what people think of those rankings. Competitive players would still have the stats and whatnot, but there's really no reason for it to be available to everyone.


I know what you are saying, but I don't want this. There is way too much hand-holding in games now. Blizzard hid losses for anyone that was below master, and people complained. I think that is enough.

I guess it is just different perspectives on the game. I know games are supposed to be "for fun," and that is fine, but there are 1000 casual games every year that exist just to make the player feel good about themselves. Keep Starcraft 2 competitive and honest.

They should just let people decide if they want their stats visible to others or not. It's a single checkbox, can probably be done in 2 days by an intern.

As for the keep it competitive part, I think "competitive" doesn't make sens in the lower leagues. Maybe it start to make sense when you're Diamond.
u sixpoll ?
Jakkerr
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2549 Posts
February 13 2012 17:16 GMT
#232
I guess I can take myself as an example.
I still watch a lot of streams, but I never play 1v1 myself anymore cuz what's the point?
1v1's aren't fun, especially if you've been @ work/school whole day. You just want to relax, not play a game which requires 100% focus and exhausts you mentally.
jinixxx123
Profile Joined June 2010
543 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 17:16:43
February 13 2012 17:16 GMT
#233
threads like this is why the game will keep getting Dumb Downed. Talk about a misleading title.. "nobody plays 1v1 anymore", yet theres almost 1 million people playing from a very small 2 month sample. Great job OP.
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 17:20:41
February 13 2012 17:17 GMT
#234
the game just simply became boring to play. It's very easy to plateau into a skill level and at that point the game becomes very rote and boring. The effort needed to pass this plateau is too great for most people to commit into and the process of overcoming one's plateau is even more boring. General loss of interest in the development of the game (even strategy wise) just makes it not worthwhile to ladder.

Plus, there aren't even many notable custom maps that are fun to play. The matchmaking/popularity system is just trash and I don't even consider logging on to SC2 to play user-created custom maps.

edit: Also, there's a little gnome in the back of my mind that playing this game right now is wasted effort since HOTS is coming out soon. Strategies will all go down the toilet and only thing that will matter until the release is maintenance/improvement of your mechanics. I'm pretty sure that I can just brush up on the mechanics in a few days even if I don't play for a year (haven't played since august 2011 and I was top4 masters).
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 17:20:01
February 13 2012 17:19 GMT
#235
I didn't play sc2 now for like 3 months now because the game just got boring for me.
That said I played placement matches for season 4 I think and than never logged in again since.
Cackle™
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
February 13 2012 17:22 GMT
#236
On February 14 2012 02:02 ShamTao wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 01:47 Smackzilla wrote:
I just don't see all the BM and cheese. What league are you people in? I'm in gold, played over 100 games this season, and literally, I saw BM once and the dude later apologized! I saw cheese maybe 5 or 6 times and usually it was easy to stomp it. The rest of the games are mannered with people at least trying to play pretty legit builds.


Actually I find that a lot of BM comes in the higher up the ladder you go. People that play for many hours and get frustrated with certain strategies or whatever are usually the ones talking shit, people who go on huge losing streaks and keep hitting 'Find Match' (which I think is honorable, but some people get really depressing to talk to lol)


I can believe that, but diamond, and especially masters don't really explain the change in ladder stats. The vast majority of players are in the lower leagues.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
JiYan
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3668 Posts
February 13 2012 17:22 GMT
#237
On February 14 2012 01:30 -_-Quails wrote:
I guess more people will play during the Northern summer, and of course when HotS comes out.

tangent, but thank you for including "northern". Americans can sometimes neglect the fact that our winter is not your winter.
mdb
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
Bulgaria4059 Posts
February 13 2012 17:23 GMT
#238
Dont blame the players, blame the game.
rtgICEMAN
Profile Joined November 2010
Romania66 Posts
February 13 2012 17:23 GMT
#239
i feel like alot of people play 2v2 3v3 4v4 and custom
im also pretty surprised by these numbers. Maybe blizzard will start listening to the comunnity
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
February 13 2012 17:24 GMT
#240
On February 14 2012 02:07 krisss wrote:
battle.net 2.0
Once your casual gamer real life friends moved to another game, its nearly impossible to find any social contacts.


Definitely true. Is it really that hard to have moderated in-game channels which people can search on by topic or subject matter. Is it that hard to add clan support?
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech138
Nina 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2121
Shuttle 1039
Snow 114
Dewaltoss 64
Hm[arnc] 36
Bale 35
Noble 27
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm161
League of Legends
JimRising 615
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1113
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor624
Other Games
summit1g8380
C9.Mang0305
PiGStarcraft282
Mew2King170
RuFF_SC2167
ViBE56
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 25
• Letter144
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2339
League of Legends
• Lourlo1104
• Rush924
• Stunt292
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 7m
OSC
17h 7m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.