• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:10
CEST 06:10
KST 13:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7489 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 86 Next
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
February 13 2012 16:30 GMT
#181
I guess more people will play during the Northern summer, and of course when HotS comes out.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
Grovbolle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark3815 Posts
February 13 2012 16:34 GMT
#182
Team ladder around plat is funny. Everybody is kind of ok, kind of noobs. so you can play long "macro" (i know plat =/= perfect macro) games and just dick around and sometimes win, sometimes lose.
Lies, damned lies and statistics: http://aligulac.com
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
February 13 2012 16:34 GMT
#183
I dunno, for me at least this is the most I've laddered since the first season.
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
MarineFTW
Profile Joined April 2011
42 Posts
February 13 2012 16:35 GMT
#184
One more point about promotions: with the declining population of the ladder this is even harder to get promoted.
Actually, you need to constantly improve you skill in order to stay in your current league.

The reason for this is the fact that leagues are not fixed by the skill level, but by the percentage of active players.

According to Excalibur_z's comprehensive guide:
Master: Top 2% of active players
Diamond: Next 18% of active players
Platinum: Next 20% of active players
Gold: Next 20% of active players
Silver: Next 20% of active players
Bronze: Bottom 20% of active players

So when the less skilled causal players (bronze-silver-gold) are quitting, plat-diamond-masters players are having hard time staying in their current league.

In fact, I am in Gold league since season 2 (as Terran). Since that time my skill have improved greatly. In Season 2 I was mostly A-move 3-Raxing with no real plan what to do if the initial push at 7:30 fails. Now I can execute much more complicated builds, do drops/harass, play the long games. But that's still a Gold level nowadays. Yes, now I got matched against Plat players pretty often, but still not enough for promotion.

I'm pretty much sure that when HoTS will come out, even with the existing skill level I would be Diamond: currently I'm high Gold, which means that about 45% of the active players are better than me. Assuming that HoTS would be at least as popular as WoL in Season 2 the ladder population would increase like ~5x from now, and most (say, 85%) of the new players will be less skilled than me. That would easily bring me to the top20% players = Diamond league.
Yaki
Profile Joined April 2011
France4234 Posts
February 13 2012 16:36 GMT
#185
I don't have ladder fear anymore cause I learnt with time to just stop giving a fuck about the rank
MC ■ MarineKing ■ LosirA ■ To someone who has lost after trying his best, no words from the winner can console him.
Doz
Profile Joined July 2010
United States145 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 16:50:52
February 13 2012 16:37 GMT
#186
I've been on and off since last June. Mostly between a week ago and late November I didn't play a single game. Before that I was slowing down.

My primary issue: It's boring. I typically won't play unless my cousin, my one irl friend that plays the game, is on TS for me to at least talk to. Without a sense of community while on Bnet, I seriously feel like an alcoholic, sitting home getting drunk by myself, wasting the day away. I was married last year and not only do I want to spend time with her, but she also expects me to spend time with her. I prefer gaming to TV because it engages my mind far more, and it's a chance to meet people from around the world. So when I get online in my precious free time, it's boring.

I even joined a clan because there was no way else to meet people on Bnet. My clanmates are mostly all good people, but I haven't even been able to grow close to any of them because I just don't like to sit in TS chatrooms where 20 people are all shouting and trying to carry on 3 separate conversations at once. There's nothing on bnet that makes me want to stay online other than my own desire to become a better player, but again with my limited time to play, I'm running out of that as well.

Beyond that, I do have a mild case of anxiety from losing. Nothing serious, it gets better the more consistently play. But if I lose 5 straight and there's no one online to gripe to briefly or even take a break with, I'm hopping offline.

Fix BNET!

*Edit: Oh, I also feel vilified for playing Terran. I was Diamond since S1 when in August/Sept of last year I started having a lot of difficulties esp. vs Zerg. I'm tired of winning games and being chastised for using the most "overpowered" race in the game while at my skill level (Plat/Diamond) on the NA server roughly 67% of players use zerg. I'm all for the game being balanced around pro level play, and I firmly believe Terran offers the greatest rewards for skill, but at my level of skill it's frustrating that game changes I can't yet take advantage of cause me so damn much difficulty in even holding my own.
Check out my map thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=192306
darkscream
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2310 Posts
February 13 2012 16:38 GMT
#187
On February 14 2012 01:29 Artok wrote:
zvz,zvz,zvz, 2 base all in, 2 base all in, zvz, zvz, 2 base all in, zvz. Nothing else ;/


yes, this is largely how i find ladder to be

and all of those zvzs will be on taldarim altar, of course

Cokefreak
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland8096 Posts
February 13 2012 16:39 GMT
#188
Yeah, nobody plays 1v1.
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
February 13 2012 16:39 GMT
#189
On February 14 2012 00:30 joeschmo wrote:
I quit cause of Protoss

I quit because ZvZ is not that interesting to play
ZvP is just broken and stupid mu....always has been. Either 2base all ins (which they don't consider all ins ofc!) or deathballs which you can't beat on most maps.
ZvT is awesome...if i could i would play only ZvT. However, i have to say that bunker rushes or similar gimicks that terran can do and outright win the game, while if they don't work, they just end up a bit behind or even...just kill my soul as well
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
February 13 2012 16:41 GMT
#190
On February 14 2012 01:39 Gotmog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 00:30 joeschmo wrote:
I quit cause of Protoss

I quit because ZvZ is not that interesting to play
ZvP is just broken and stupid mu....always has been. Either 2base all ins (which they don't consider all ins ofc!) or deathballs which you can't beat on most maps.
ZvT is awesome...if i could i would play only ZvT. However, i have to say that bunker rushes or similar gimicks that terran can do and outright win the game, while if they don't work, they just end up a bit behind or even...just kill my soul as well


Z balancewhines make me stop to play occasionally
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
BlindSight754
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada156 Posts
February 13 2012 16:42 GMT
#191
I think its because of the BM. Its totally unwelcoming to any new player. You get BM'd if you win and BM'd if you lose. Whats worse than feeling shitty because you lost and some ass is rubbing it in your face? A lot of people who play this game have terrible personalities. You cant grow a game when people who are just starting out are thrown in the mud. In tennis does the other player yell and cuss at you when you win or lose? No, and if they do they get disciplined.
XiGua
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden3085 Posts
February 13 2012 16:42 GMT
#192
A question...

WHY DO YOU HAVE LADDER FEAR?
It's just a game, more gg more skill, you can't improve if you don't play, nobody cares if you lose except you and finally; it's just a game.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) APM, Why u make me spam?
Nihilnovi
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden696 Posts
February 13 2012 16:43 GMT
#193
Game is stale and unintuitive, cute things get patched, same strategies seen & used over and over.
What did it for me was the lack of a real ladder and the absolutely horrible experience that is the new battle.net
When I wan't to play som UMS, i start up WC3 instead of SC, yeah...
jinixxx123
Profile Joined June 2010
543 Posts
February 13 2012 16:44 GMT
#194
almost 1 million ppl playing is still a shitload of people playing, compare that to warcraft 3 which has it less than 5000 ...

Anyway as more of the casuals get weeded out, the game quality from each player will improve. Somebody that is diamond now would have been mid/high masters a couple seasons ago.
Paperplane
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands1823 Posts
February 13 2012 16:44 GMT
#195
On February 14 2012 01:42 BlindSight754 wrote:
I think its because of the BM. Its totally unwelcoming to any new player. You get BM'd if you win and BM'd if you lose. Whats worse than feeling shitty because you lost and some ass is rubbing it in your face? A lot of people who play this game have terrible personalities. You cant grow a game when people who are just starting out are thrown in the mud. In tennis does the other player yell and cuss at you when you win or lose? No, and if they do they get disciplined.


LoL's players are a hundred times worse and it has a lot more players. It can't be just that.
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
February 13 2012 16:44 GMT
#196
I'd really like to see a "Search for Opponent" function in the game where you can specify
- Race or Races
- Map or set of maps
- League
- Point range

Basically it would just be find custom game on steroids that looked for opponents that fit the criterea who were looking for someone like you. I dont know if it would increase ladder play, but I'd bet it would increase the number of people playing SC2. Maybe it could require some ladder games to be played every so often to avoid staleness on your league/points.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
Mirosuu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
England283 Posts
February 13 2012 16:45 GMT
#197
I must be the only person who enjoy's ladder then...? =/

Everyone whines about cheese, or all-in's and really, they just don't like to lose games. I lose games a lot, yeah sure. But I love to be able to improve, and work on parts of my game. It's exciting to see those improvements turn into wins over strategies you have had trouble with in the past.

I just don't understand how it can be as "boring" as people think. Maybe if you're grinding out like 350 games per ladder season and stuck in the same league, I think you have more problems than boredom about StarCraft. IdrA, as much as people hate him, has a perfect quote for this situation that mentions about people not having the drive to work at the things they enjoy, even worse if it is something that they hate. Some people just want the easy mode button that games like Call Of Duty, or LoL helped them grow to rely on.

That said, I don't play a lot at the moment, because I'm in my final year of a CS degree aiming for the top classification, so my workload is astronomical. I tend to play a bunch of customs against my friend, and even then, I get smashed, game after game, and I come back for more. This is because I WANT to get better, regardless of any BS that happened in game. I just wish people would realise that the BS is just something you have to expect, and need to get over, if you want to get higher on the ladder.

I enjoy the smaller, but more dedicated community to getting better. My reasoning is that the people who are on ladder (from my ladder experience) are people who aren't here to ride the coat-tails of some broken all-in build to success and would much rather just macro and play standard to win games.

The sad thing I've got out of all this thread is that people need to be given some visible carrot they need to chase, in order to actually play the game. The game is, what the game is. Yeah sure it needs some improvements on UI, game play and other areas, but for me, I'm quite satisfied with it. I don't need no pat on the back for me to keep playing the game. If I enjoy the game as is, I will keep playing. It's as simple as that. If you need carrots to keep playing games, you should be considering taking a time out from playing and come back when a new meta game comes around.

Sorry for the long post. >_< I just had a lot to say on the subject.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
MichaelJLowell
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States610 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 19:20:18
February 13 2012 16:45 GMT
#198
There needs to be less focus on whether the ladder is "too stressful" and instead acknowledging that a game of this complexity and difficulty would have turned off the casual consumer anyway. The MOBA genre (where you control one hero with one set of items) has effectively replaced the RTS genre in the public consciousness, which should terrify anyone who judges a society by their entertainment. The MOBA genre has become the "thinking man's genre". That's why it was imperative for Blizzard to cater to the game's built-in audience.

For you guys (those who have been playing StarCraft for a decade), the question you should be asking is whether or not StarCraft II is good enough. And I'd be hard-pressed to say many people coming from Brood War think Wings of Liberty is better than Brood War, and anybody coming over from Warcraft III thinks Wings of Liberty is better than Warcraft III. (Note the use of "Wings of Liberty". There's still the chance that Heart of the Swarm or Legacy of the Void does for StarCraft II what The Frozen Throne did for Warcraft III...though I doubt it. I can't see Blizzard investing the amount of effort in those expansion packs that could go to making sure Diablo III and Titan are the greatest casinos in the history of commercial video games.) There's probably a couple of stragglers and dissenting opinions to what I said, but based on what I've seen on this forum and other such sites, they surely aren't the majority.
http://www.learntocounter.com - I'm a "known troll" so please disconnect your kid's computer when I am on the forums.
Arghnews
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom169 Posts
February 13 2012 16:45 GMT
#199
Wouldn't be suprised if less and less people are laddering. It's a harsh environment.
Losing is frustrating
Losing to all in's or cheese such as 6 pools is even more annoying.
You need to play a lot to be consistent.
The social side of ladder is completely non-existent.

All of this really makes it a pretty horrid place to try and enjoy yourself through improvement :D God knows why we all do it!
Rassy
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 16:53:35
February 13 2012 16:46 GMT
#200
Never realy did like 1 vs 1,
Cant see your mmr or even the number of losses.
The devisions and ladder itself feel pointless when you see that rank 20 has like played only 4 games, only first 10 people in a league realy play, from place 30 on people hardly have games.

Still love sc and playing lots, only playing teamgames though (4x4) on ladder wich i somehow find alot more interesting and fun
they never the same except for the 6pool/zealots/marine rushes but even that is fun when you somehow defend and then win.

also: this game is to difficult for the average gamer.
You need to put time and effort in it to be able to play at least at a decent level and the vast majority of the people is not even playing the game, they are still practising on getting down the mechanics basicly,
no room for interesting strategies and tactics when all attention is needed to get units on the field.

they should realy change the ladder, the way they tried to keep people playing by letting everyone make a promotion after a few months is impossible to keep up, you cant keep introducing new leagues and people do get stuck at their personal skill ceiling.
Maybe get rid of the whole devission system and replace it by a different system, with only mmr
People then can get custom games by searching wich affects their mmr-elo.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 191
ProTech119
Nina 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2179
Shuttle 1177
Snow 74
Dewaltoss 57
Noble 49
Bale 47
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm168
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1075
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor566
Other Games
summit1g8904
JimRising 638
C9.Mang0308
PiGStarcraft279
Mew2King245
ViBE56
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream80
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta17
• practicex 14
• Response 5
• Letter145
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota215
League of Legends
• Lourlo1207
• Rush439
• Stunt264
Other Games
• Scarra825
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 50m
OSC
17h 50m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.