• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:06
CEST 11:06
KST 18:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)32Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8909 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 86 Next
MichaelJLowell
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States610 Posts
February 13 2012 16:09 GMT
#161
Ladder fear, you say? If only there was a way that players could participate on the ladder under the guise of anonymity and practice without having to "ruin their real record"...
http://www.learntocounter.com - I'm a "known troll" so please disconnect your kid's computer when I am on the forums.
Startyr
Profile Joined November 2011
Scotland188 Posts
February 13 2012 16:10 GMT
#162
A lot of people seem to think they need to spend a lot of time practicing professional player builds. However you really don't.

Unless you are bottom of bronze or top of gm, then on average you will win 50% of your games. If your aim is to get to high masters then sure you need a lot of practice but to have fun there is no need.

View the ladder as the match making system that it is and not as some professional tournament. Just play around, try out the races you dont usually play, if there are problems against early aggression just blindly overbuild defenses, embrace the concept of 'fun-day monday' even make up your own. Decide to go pure sentry with hallucinate and take lots of expansions, pure queen and spine/spore crawlers, go for mass raven/marine etc.

Perhaps Battlenet could focus more on encouraging players to have fun than to grind for ladder points.
magnaflow
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada1521 Posts
February 13 2012 16:10 GMT
#163
On February 14 2012 01:07 ProxyKnoxy wrote:
I don't feel satisfied when I win



This too, the feeling of anger you get when you lose far outweighs the joy of winning.


When I lose I want to filp tables, when I win it's like meh.
napkinlad
Profile Joined January 2012
United States12 Posts
February 13 2012 16:11 GMT
#164
its just not fun anymore. but i still love watching the pros do it
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
February 13 2012 16:12 GMT
#165
I don't have "ladder fear" I just get mad very easy when I lose which makes me close s2 after I lose 2-3 games in a row.
I don't mind it all that much because I enjoy watching streams/tournaments way more
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
GWBuffalo
Profile Joined January 2011
United States234 Posts
February 13 2012 16:12 GMT
#166
On February 14 2012 01:05 pallad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:10 mrafaeldie12 wrote:
I guess it is because the lack of community the game has.


LOL what ? stop trolling around.
crowd at tournaments are sick , bracraft's , show's aboth SC2 etc etc
And you are now at community site , you dont know that ?
Show me other site , bigger then TL for any other game then BW/SC2 .. im waiting.


I think he means the in-game community. The spectator community is great. But the ladder community sometimes feels like a cold dark hell, filled with nothing but BM and frustration.
Snettik
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland186 Posts
February 13 2012 16:13 GMT
#167
I think that if team games (including 3v3 and 4v4) were more dynamic and intresting more casuals might come and stay and maybe turn into HC 1v1:ers. Also i think the ladder rewards inactivity. Take this for instance: a player reached masters in S1 and plays 1 game per season. He/she is now in masters league, but because the general skill level has risen he is no longer masters level and if he plays he gets demoted. I think inactive league placements should become transparent or something so it would be shameful to be inactive.
agahamsorr0w
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands359 Posts
February 13 2012 16:14 GMT
#168
I still ladder a bit when noone on my clan wants to play. I have learned to dont give a crap about losing.
Demonhunter04
Profile Joined July 2011
1530 Posts
February 13 2012 16:15 GMT
#169
On February 13 2012 23:29 Genetic wrote:
Honestly, the NA ladder is all Protoss lol

After all these Terran nerfs it's no real wonder why either. I recently gave up T for P. And ever since I did laddering has been boring. I'm at 5 PvP, 1 PvT, 1 PvZ lol

Hence, I'm now involved in a long game of Civ 5. Lol


Lol this is turning into iCCup.
"If you don't drop sweat today, you will drop tears tomorrow" - SlayerSMMA
ProxyKnoxy
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2576 Posts
February 13 2012 16:16 GMT
#170
On February 14 2012 01:08 softan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 01:07 ProxyKnoxy wrote:
I don't feel satisfied when I win


Really?
In no other game does winning give me such satisfaction as in the starcraft 2. On the other hand, a few losses in a row and it feels like I got mentally kicked in my balls.


It depends really. It could be a bit of perfectionism on my part (not thinking I deserved to win/thought I played bad), or thinking that my opponent was bad, or a combination of both.

Winning against all-ins doesn't feel rewarding to me at all for example, or winning with a 2-base attack when my opponent has very weak defenses. So basically I only feel satisfied when it is a mentally challenging and back-and-forth game.
"Zealot try give mariners high five. Mariners not like high five and try hide and shoot zealot"
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
February 13 2012 16:17 GMT
#171
On February 14 2012 01:06 SKYFISH_ wrote:
i personally dont play 1v1 anymore for the following short list of reasons:
-map pool is awful
-i dont like the patches
-i have to play a minimum of 5 ladder games per day to stay in shape, otherwise i get smashed by kids in school who obviously have more time than me to practice = no fun



Then simple you dont like the game anymore , you get bored by it , becasue you can always vote out map that you dont like.
You cry abouth game balance that is getting better and better.
Its normal thing.. if you dont play much SC 2 you wil be lower and lower in ladder , becasue people are getting better with time.
After a year people play good even in top plat ( im not play im high diamond on EU ) but i watch some games at my friend when he plays.
3-4 months ago i was mid/low master player , now i get demoted and im stuck in diamond , becasue i dont have much time to play now , and other ppl have it , its normal. But i play still on ladder becasue i like the game very much
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
XiGua
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden3085 Posts
February 13 2012 16:18 GMT
#172
Like every game, it gets boring after awhile. Most of the casual players are long gone and have started playing other games. Maybe BF3, DotA 2, LoL, TF2 etc.

When HOTS comes out it will probably get closer to the season 2 peak but it doesn't feel like it will ever beat the peak.

But I still play, Terrans need to stay to balance the ladder racial distribution and BM!
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) APM, Why u make me spam?
Entteri
Profile Joined August 2011
Finland108 Posts
February 13 2012 16:20 GMT
#173
On February 14 2012 00:56 SugarHammer wrote:
I used to have ladder fear until I realized it was just a game and ladder doesn't really matter, it's just for fun. You see the pro's ladder and they'll try out something new, if it doesn't work and they lose they don't care they just exit the game and started a new one. That's the mentality I applied and laddered more after that.

But I do agree the ladder system isn't optimal right now, but not much you can do about that so just try to enjoy it.

As for the cheese, they are viable strategies and if you lose to one, watch the replay and learn to counter it, that's the reason a lot of pros don't cheese because they know there opponent can easily counter it. Just got to be more aware (scout lots) and have a solid defense!

That's all my wisdom, my thoughts on ladder just try to enjoy it and if you lose no big deal!

I'd say that it's pretty hard to just not care about losing on ladder. Keep in mind that for most people it's still the only ranking and having some kind of ranking is pretty important in competitive game. It's different for pro players whose actual ranking that matters is tournaments. Thats what matters to them. It's also the only source of any kind of rewards apart from the good feeling of winning. Ladder ranking is what gives you your league promotions and feats of strenght. (which sadly I think are the only actual rewards you can earn)
softan
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden113 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 16:20:52
February 13 2012 16:20 GMT
#174
On February 14 2012 01:16 ProxyKnoxy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 01:08 softan wrote:
On February 14 2012 01:07 ProxyKnoxy wrote:
I don't feel satisfied when I win


Really?
In no other game does winning give me such satisfaction as in the starcraft 2. On the other hand, a few losses in a row and it feels like I got mentally kicked in my balls.


It depends really. It could be a bit of perfectionism on my part (not thinking I deserved to win/thought I played bad), or thinking that my opponent was bad, or a combination of both.

Winning against all-ins doesn't feel rewarding to me at all for example, or winning with a 2-base attack when my opponent has very weak defenses. So basically I only feel satisfied when it is a mentally challenging and back-and-forth game.


I love beating my opponent no matter how I do it. I love to defend a cheese thus winning. If I don't I just watch replay so I'll be able to beat it down next time I'm up against it. The problem for me is that if I lose 3-4 games in a row it's so demoralizing that I might not play for a week after that.
RoyalCheese
Profile Joined May 2010
Czech Republic745 Posts
February 13 2012 16:20 GMT
#175
I just gave up on sc2...if one doesn't play at least like 5 games a day, you will only loose to stupid shit and it will make you rage...or that was my case at least and i couldnt be bothered with it anymore
Kennigit: "Chill was once able to retire really young, but decided to donate his entire salary TO SUPPORT ESPORTS"
Qibla
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia343 Posts
February 13 2012 16:23 GMT
#176
I've taken a break because it started to feel like a chore. As a player who was new to starcraft, and rts in general I found it really hard to break out of Diamond as a Terrain player. I felt like my skill had stagnated and it wasn't fun anymore.

I still love the game and will be coming back. I still watch vods and read TL but haven't played in 2-3.months now.

also accidentally started playing WoW which has taken over my life.
Are you calling moi a dipshit?
XRaDiiX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1730 Posts
February 13 2012 16:23 GMT
#177
I played 500 games this season! Hopefully HOTS will bring in more people.
Never GG MKP | IdrA
terrrrrible
Profile Joined August 2011
United States38 Posts
February 13 2012 16:26 GMT
#178
For me, I only have so much time to play games at all now, and I spend most of it playing SWTOR. I don't have enough time in a day to really sit down and go over my games, too. I'd rather spend most of it playing, and trying to fix my mistakes on the fly, then spend some time reviewing my replays, and then maybe play one or two games. I'm (forever) Bronze for this reason, and I go through cycles of really wanting to play, enjoying playing, getting frustrated when I play, stop playing and just watch streams/events. Rinse and repeat.
Artok
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands2219 Posts
February 13 2012 16:29 GMT
#179
zvz,zvz,zvz, 2 base all in, 2 base all in, zvz, zvz, 2 base all in, zvz. Nothing else ;/
Chun-li since ST
Sein
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1811 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 16:31:03
February 13 2012 16:30 GMT
#180
On February 14 2012 01:12 Linwelin wrote:
I don't have "ladder fear" I just get mad very easy when I lose which makes me close s2 after I lose 2-3 games in a row.
I don't mind it all that much because I enjoy watching streams/tournaments way more


Try losing 11 games in a row. God, good thing I don't physically express my rage or my room would be in shambles.

A huge portion of the casual player base has dropped out. I've got a bunch of people on my friend list with something like "last logged in: 27 weeks ago". Some of them still watch Husky or occasionally some tournament streams, but they just don't play anymore because they find the game too difficult to keep up with unless they constantly play and it's stressful for them.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 396
Hyuk 301
Leta 129
Shinee 103
actioN 96
ZerO 93
Zeus 75
soO 68
EffOrt 59
Bisu 54
[ Show more ]
Mong 53
Killer 46
Mind 41
ToSsGirL 30
sorry 29
Soma 28
Aegong 26
Bale 24
PianO 19
Light 18
HiyA 15
ZergMaN 14
JulyZerg 7
Noble 5
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
XcaliburYe105
League of Legends
JimRising 420
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss480
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King175
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1717
Other Games
gofns12666
summit1g8457
olofmeister1305
singsing1221
ceh9589
Happy339
crisheroes318
ArmadaUGS113
Livibee103
DeMusliM36
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick532
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream231
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH210
• LUISG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2268
League of Legends
• Jankos1691
• Rush1383
• Stunt488
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
54m
OSC
3h 54m
Stellar Fest
3h 54m
OSC
14h 54m
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.