• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:09
CEST 17:09
KST 00:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20266Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9818 users

Good Manner on Ladder - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 34 35 36 Next All
TheAlchemist89
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
160 Posts
August 17 2011 03:00 GMT
#21
I'll agree with others, OP you are doing a good thing! I'm only in the gold league, but I often find that if I chat a bit with the person I'm playing, and ofc gg afterwards that they'll oftentimes message me after the game to talk more. I'm not sure if manner changes by league, but I think gg'less games are because people are angry that they lost. The player behind the game is usually pretty nice.

After all, we're all nerds enjoying the majesty of SC :D
Spicy Pepper
Profile Joined December 2009
United States632 Posts
August 17 2011 03:00 GMT
#22
Hmm, not sure why everyone has manner problems on ladder.

I think I start every match, saying "glhf" or something similar. Sometimes they reply, sometimes not. Then towards the end, if I lose I always type "gg" then leave.

Occasionally I'll compliment someone if they put together a nice timing, or did some nice micro or whatever and type "Nice timing, gg" then leave.

It's pretty rare to have manner problems for me. Occassionally when I play 4v4, and they'll be the kid who's doing the whole internet racist rant in the game, which then me and my friends will sometimes decide to change the point of the game to killing him off, even if he's on our team. But that's like 1 out of 100 games at most.

Maybe the bad manners are mostly at the lower levels of ladder?
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
August 17 2011 03:00 GMT
#23
To be honest I feel this is a bit over the top personally. Seems like its forced. I usually compliment those who do something awesome to deserve it.

But if me and my opponent are both friendly I agree that the loss doesn't hurt as bad. If i feel my opponent was a dick and beat me, I want to forget about the game.
gg wp
chaopow
Profile Joined March 2011
United States556 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:03:32
August 17 2011 03:02 GMT
#24
Be very careful of how you word your sentence, and especially the emotions you use. In TvP I do a lot of 1 base all ins and I have gotten several "great builds" or "wow...nice build" which is obviously quite negative. However once I did get a "cool build" then a leave, which I am not really sure what that meant. If it was that he really thought it was a cool build and had never seen this quite op build, or if he was being sarcastic.

I think if you put the ! mark, it does seem a lot nicer. The last one really seems clear that it has good intentions. Some of them (1,3,4,5) can be taken both ways I feel. Being very mannered like this is a very good step to take, however do not expect this to be returned to you when you win. Sometimes people will even message you after if you purposely try to give good manner on ladder just to be a dick.

One thing I have done is this. When I lose to say some sort of timing or all in, I'll go like, gg nice timing, Any idea how to stop it? Like if I play as protoss against a terran 1 base all in (i play both races), I will sometimes ask this question to the terran player.
Soowoo AD.
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
August 17 2011 03:02 GMT
#25
im sure they are legit but all those compliments sound scripted. maybe cuz it's so rare :D
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
August 17 2011 03:02 GMT
#26
There wouldn't be so much BM on ladder if it wasn't such a shitty cheese-fest I often go on streaks of 5+ games where my opponents 1-2 base all-in. It's not responsive play either I am not even a remotely greedy player I pretty much never go hatch first anymore and do the "safe" build in every single matchup. This is in high diamond and I've been playing against masters players pretty often. Even at this level there are very few players who care more about improving than winning.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:05:52
August 17 2011 03:03 GMT
#27
On August 17 2011 11:52 Sorter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 11:47 Ungrateful wrote:
The thing is pros no longer play As well mannered so that attitude is trickling down.


So true, a lot of low level players see Pro-level players BM others and think it's okay to do so. They don't realize that most of it is (usually) taken lightly.

All those instances of good manner sound so sarcastic to me for some reason. You can't really see through the text to their actually intentions though :/


Or it could just be the most common place occurrence in all of gaming to BM your opponent in the face of a loss (or win). Theres no way to draw that connection.

On August 17 2011 12:02 JJH777 wrote:
There wouldn't be so much BM on ladder if it wasn't such a shitty cheese-fest I often go on streaks of 5+ games where my opponents 1-2 base all-in. It's not responsive play either I am not even a remotely greedy player I pretty much never go hatch first anymore and do the "safe" build in every single matchup. This is in high diamond and I've been playing against masters players pretty often. Even at this level there are very few players who care more about improving than winning.


Thats making an assumption that every player you fight is perfectly aware of the detriment doing repeated all-ins can have to your late game skill progression. Maybe it just feels rewarding to find a strategy that seems unbeatable all the way to diamond.
Staboteur
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada1873 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:05:04
August 17 2011 03:03 GMT
#28
Haha, love the last screenshot where you left a won game.

Actually on topic, I typically "goodmanner" when my opponent does something I truly admire, whether it be a well-microed two pronged attack, something unexpected/creative, or if they do something I've wondered why certain races never do.

If you care : + Show Spoiler +
this dude did a sick blueflame/marine/banshee push.

He was also rather good mannered about it, replying with kind words after the game, rather than the standard "LOL IT ONLY WORKS CAUSE U BAD BRO"

I also badmanner when I get cheesed. Balance is important, yo.
I'm actually Fleetfeet D:
Cantro
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada117 Posts
August 17 2011 03:04 GMT
#29
I'm well mannered to everyone other then zerg cause most of the time they bust me and thats no gg for youuuuuuuuuuuu
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
TheRageKage12
Profile Joined November 2010
United States161 Posts
August 17 2011 03:04 GMT
#30
On August 17 2011 12:00 Spicy Pepper wrote:
Hmm, not sure why everyone has manner problems on ladder.

I think I start every match, saying "glhf" or something similar. Sometimes they reply, sometimes not. Then towards the end, if I lose I always type "gg" then leave.

Occasionally I'll compliment someone if they put together a nice timing, or did some nice micro or whatever and type "Nice timing, gg" then leave.

It's pretty rare to have manner problems for me. Occassionally when I play 4v4, and they'll be the kid who's doing the whole internet racist rant in the game, which then me and my friends will sometimes decide to change the point of the game to killing him off, even if he's on our team. But that's like 1 out of 100 games at most.

Maybe the bad manners are mostly at the lower levels of ladder?


I'm in Diamond League for reference. Don't know if you'd count that as low or high level (personally I count it as mid level).

On August 17 2011 12:00 Ulfsark wrote:
To be honest I feel this is a bit over the top personally. Seems like its forced. I usually compliment those who do something awesome to deserve it.

But if me and my opponent are both friendly I agree that the loss doesn't hurt as bad. If i feel my opponent was a dick and beat me, I want to forget about the game.


It is true that if it is forced it is meaningless, so I make sure it isn't forced. I actually sit there and pick a part I think they did well and tell them that.

I understand if you think it is over the top, and it could be, but most BM is also over the top so hopefully I'm hard-countering it ^^
emc
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3088 Posts
August 17 2011 03:05 GMT
#31
I don't even gg anymore because no one does, I don't even bother saying gl hf but I am mannered when it comes to offline events, no reason not to be.

I keep getting stuff like "zerg 2 base all-in is too strong" when I didn't even all-in or "zerg OP" "infestors OP" and bull crap like that when the game was actually close and fun.
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
August 17 2011 03:05 GMT
#32
While I think that this is the right way to be (I'm thinking of Larry Brown coaching his teams to "play the "right" way"), it doesn't do justice to the fact that, at lower levels (I'm only diamond) a lot people win because of mistakes their opponent made. In other words, in my experience, the most honest response I can usually give is "GG. My macro sucks today...floating 1k minerals." If I weren't floating 1k minerals in a loss, then the "WP" might be well deserved.

And to echo the other posters suggestions of how your opponent might interpret your good manner: I have given many a "wp" to be sarcastic after rine-scv all-ins. My general phrase is something along the lines of "Wow, you sure are talented." I suppose that's bm on my part.
Mercurial#1193
TheRageKage12
Profile Joined November 2010
United States161 Posts
August 17 2011 03:06 GMT
#33
On August 17 2011 12:02 chaopow wrote:
Be very careful of how you word your sentence, and especially the emotions you use. In TvP I do a lot of 1 base all ins and I have gotten several "great builds" or "wow...nice build" which is obviously quite negative. However once I did get a "cool build" then a leave, which I am not really sure what that meant. If it was that he really thought it was a cool build and had never seen this quite op build, or if he was being sarcastic.

I think if you put the ! mark, it does seem a lot nicer. The last one really seems clear that it has good intentions. Some of them (1,3,4,5) can be taken both ways I feel. Being very mannered like this is a very good step to take, however do not expect this to be returned to you when you win. Sometimes people will even message you after if you purposely try to give good manner on ladder just to be a dick.

One thing I have done is this. When I lose to say some sort of timing or all in, I'll go like, gg nice timing, Any idea how to stop it? Like if I play as protoss against a terran 1 base all in (i play both races), I will sometimes ask this question to the terran player.


Excellent tips and points. If they message me after thinking its BM, I can pretty quickly correct them (and if they don't believe me, then oh well). As I said previously in this thread, I need to make it more clear and remove any ambiguity in the statements.
TheRageKage12
Profile Joined November 2010
United States161 Posts
August 17 2011 03:09 GMT
#34
On August 17 2011 12:02 JJH777 wrote:
There wouldn't be so much BM on ladder if it wasn't such a shitty cheese-fest I often go on streaks of 5+ games where my opponents 1-2 base all-in. It's not responsive play either I am not even a remotely greedy player I pretty much never go hatch first anymore and do the "safe" build in every single matchup. This is in high diamond and I've been playing against masters players pretty often. Even at this level there are very few players who care more about improving than winning.


For better or worse, cheese is part of the game. You just have to figure out how to stop it and then you're that much better. :S

On August 17 2011 12:03 Staboteur wrote:
Haha, love the last screenshot where you left a won game.

Actually on topic, I typically "goodmanner" when my opponent does something I truly admire, whether it be a well-microed two pronged attack, something unexpected/creative, or if they do something I've wondered why certain races never do.

If you care : + Show Spoiler +
this dude did a sick blueflame/marine/banshee push.

He was also rather good mannered about it, replying with kind words after the game, rather than the standard "LOL IT ONLY WORKS CAUSE U BAD BRO"

I also badmanner when I get cheesed. Balance is important, yo.


Check the supplies, that game wasn't won. I was the red player.

Gheed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States972 Posts
August 17 2011 03:09 GMT
#35
I find this more annoying than if someone just leaves the game. First of all, you can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. Secondly, not every game is worthy of praise; some games are just bad. Thirdly, it seems really try-hard, like you're forcing some arbitrary standard of "good manner" where it doesn't need to be.
Leyra
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1222 Posts
August 17 2011 03:10 GMT
#36
I think if you want to up the manner, and not risk coming off as sarcastic, I'd just say "gg wp " a la sheth !
jonathan1
Profile Joined October 2010
United States395 Posts
August 17 2011 03:11 GMT
#37
lol this is great. if it happened to me i would think it was sarcasm.
knyttym
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States5797 Posts
August 17 2011 03:11 GMT
#38
I like you. Do you like me?
sTsCompleted
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States380 Posts
August 17 2011 03:12 GMT
#39
Nice, I might start doing this as well.

The only problem, though, is that some people might think we're being sarcastic.
Zealot Lord
Profile Joined May 2010
Hong Kong748 Posts
August 17 2011 03:13 GMT
#40
On August 17 2011 11:42 Sarang wrote:
Haha I'd like to play against you, I haven't even gotten a 'gg' in all the games I've played lately. >.>

I'd just be careful of how you word your good manner. Some people could take "well executed rush" to have a hint of bitterness to it.

Of course if you mean well though, it doesn't matter if they interpret you the wrong way.

Personally though, I just say 'gg wp' if I feel my opponent played particularly well. Seeing as hardly anyone even says 'gg' anymore, 'gg wp' seems like the pinnacle of manner by comparison.


haha yeah, for some reason that reminds me of Whitera "complementing" San Zenith for his top notch 4 gate loll.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 34 35 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 338
OGKoka 251
Codebar 38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47027
Calm 4305
Shuttle 2177
Bisu 1741
FanTaSy 1445
Mini 1019
Soma 697
EffOrt 691
Rush 497
Stork 325
[ Show more ]
Light 304
Hyuk 248
Snow 245
firebathero 224
ZerO 189
actioN 158
Zeus 89
Dewaltoss 86
Barracks 83
hero 76
Killer 62
Sea.KH 59
Hyun 39
Shinee 38
Sharp 38
Pusan 37
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 27
Free 26
PianO 21
Shine 20
Yoon 20
HiyA 16
Aegong 15
sorry 14
yabsab 14
zelot 14
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc6721
Dendi1135
League of Legends
KnowMe25
Counter-Strike
x6flipin229
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes521
Lowko444
Other Games
singsing2342
hiko1746
B2W.Neo381
byalli252
Liquid`VortiX193
Hui .187
Livibee185
mouzStarbuck69
Mew2King68
Trikslyr44
Rex28
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV239
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV31
League of Legends
• Nemesis2375
Other Games
• Shiphtur290
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 6m
Replay Cast
7h 51m
OSC
1d 7h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 18h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.