• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:19
CEST 06:19
KST 13:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7212 users

An NASL Retrospective With EG.iNcontroL - Page 13

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 37 Next All
Lutto
Profile Joined September 2009
Sweden198 Posts
July 15 2011 12:30 GMT
#241
Great interview, name dropping was kinda of a bad ideá tho.. almost everyone would had known you meant TB anyways since he's one of the biggest example of moving to Sc2 for money and fame.
Lutto @ Battlenet
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:35:38
July 15 2011 12:32 GMT
#242
On July 15 2011 17:48 Wesso wrote:
Maybe Incontrol has some inside information, like TB asking more money than others for casting in large tournaments etc. Still strange to say such a thing randomly in an interview, and not at all the impression I have of TB.


I don't think I really need to get involved in this thread in a major way, the community has already made it's stance known and I thank them for that, but I can provide a little perspective on this one.

NASL paid $100 for my casting with Gretorp, for a 4-5 hour job. This is their "standard fee", I do not know what they paid everyone else. I accepted it and added it to the prizepool for SCI.

I spent a couple of thousand to get to Dreamhack, I was not paid for that event. I got VoD rights which meant I could recoup some of it over the course of several months, otherwise I paid my travel and accomodation, rented a car, brought my own gear and was asked to cast on the Dreamhack stream so they received the stream revenue.

As for the other tournaments, aside from IPL who have a tendency of paying everyone fairly, players included as you've seen from IPL's prize distribution, I've made a loss on every tournament I've casted, because it takes time away from doing other, more popular content. Just to clear up some outdated information by some folks, I stopped doing WoW content a couple of months ago because I was no longer enjoying the game. It was a big earner but I cut it entirely, specifically in protest at a move by Blizzard to appease bad players by nerfing the content I enjoyed. I believed this was a betrayal of their statement they made at the start of this expansion, that "Raiding is hard, man up and get better". My primary income at this point comes from my daily Mailbox gaming podcast, my WTF is? (by far the most popular series I do), Terraria and my League of Legends gameplays. Starcraft 2 remains a small portion of my income and as you all know, all my stream revenue funds tournaments so I don't see a dime of that.

One last thing for those with short memories.

- my first Starcraft 2 cast, on Day 1 of beta. As a sidenote of trivia, this cast was featured by Blizzard as a way to help people overcome their fear of getting into SC2.

- the day I became a Youtube partner, 6 months later. If you don't understand what that means, in order to get paid for any videos you do, you have to be a partner, so I wasn't earning anything at all from it before that. I think you can draw your own conclusions there.

I don't think anything else really needs to be addressed, others have said it for me. Look out for a special announcement coming very soon on the tournament side of things!
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Savern101
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:34:25
July 15 2011 12:33 GMT
#243
On July 15 2011 21:30 Lutto wrote:
Great interview, name dropping was kinda of a bad ideá tho.. almost everyone would had known you meant TB anyways since he's one of the biggest example of moving to Sc2 for money and fame.


This has already been covered in this thread. This is not true. TB was interested in SC2 long before he was ever a youtube partner. His wow coverage and other content always made more money and got up to double the number of views. His JTV stream revnue is 100% refunneled into his own invitational tournaments.

EDIT: read TB's post above, its better than mine.
EG.DeMusliM/d.BlinG/UK Fighting!
chokke
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway228 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:41:28
July 15 2011 12:36 GMT
#244
Arf, screw it.
Not to found of Incontrol in interviews, streams and gameshows.
He looks like the guy that is going to be nice in person, but once you leave, he'll point out EVERYTHING wrong with you.
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:39:01
July 15 2011 12:38 GMT
#245
but sometimes I get the feeling that when he wants to he can be a great thinker.


If by great thinker you mean someone who can use high school level debate tactics to try and refute everyone with a different point of view than him, then you are right.

I encourage you to take a look at his post history and how he responds to people. Focus on the person rather than the argument, check. Level so many accusations it is impossible to defend, check. Create an extremely exaggerated case of what the opposition is saying then attack the straw-man, check. Ignoring what is being said and instead of refuting it changing the topic to something you have more knowledge about, check. Questioning the motives of those making arguments against you, check.

These techniques work on people who can't see through them, don't be one of them.
-VanQuisH-
Profile Joined June 2011
9 Posts
July 15 2011 12:40 GMT
#246
Just another ignorant comment by incontrol. Nothing more to see here.
ThorZaiN/MMA | HuK/Alicia | MorroW/Nestea
flodeskum
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1267 Posts
July 15 2011 12:45 GMT
#247
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.

Wtf?

Why must incontrol always make random inflammatory statements about things he know nothing about?
IdrA: " my fans are kinda retarded"
Derez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands6068 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:54:05
July 15 2011 12:45 GMT
#248
On July 15 2011 21:38 Duravi wrote:
Show nested quote +
but sometimes I get the feeling that when he wants to he can be a great thinker.


If by great thinker you mean someone who can use high school level debate tactics to try and refute everyone with a different point of view than him, then you are right.

I encourage you to take a look at his post history and how he responds to people. Focus on the person rather than the argument, check. Level so many accusations it is impossible to defend, check. Create an extremely exaggerated case of what the opposition is saying then attack the straw-man, check. Ignoring what is being said and instead of refuting it changing the topic to something you have more knowledge about, check. Questioning the motives of those making arguments against you, check.

These techniques work on people who can't see through them, don't be one of them.


This. The non-apology a few pages back being a prime example, and it's also the reason SotG used to be absolutely unbearable to listen to.

While I personally don't volunteer to listen to TB's casting, some of his casts have been great fun (TB + MC coming to mind immediately). He draws in a crowd that isn't attracted to the standard 'professional casting' model, and I don't see how it's relevant that was involved in another game before. If TB makes money, it's because he's popular, not because he's 'stealing' viewers or whatever. It's not like the NASL is a non-profit.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17885 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 12:48:48
July 15 2011 12:46 GMT
#249
On July 15 2011 21:32 TotalBiscuit wrote:
I don't think anything else really needs to be addressed, others have said it for me. Look out for a special announcement coming very soon on the tournament side of things!


an post about an announcement
could this be the TBSL : Total Biscuit Star League?

if you need help setting up the software side of a large elimination tournament message me the
best solution ( for large scale open tournaments ) in the community is now available on a shareware license basis.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 13:01:26
July 15 2011 12:47 GMT
#250
I do not like so many people focusing on TB thing. Some other stuff was much more serious, like ignoring the big problem of downtime between games or the EDIT:Lindsey girl that was "good" for community or some such bullshit.

They also didn't mention stream problems directly and decided to ignore sound problems even on the 3rd day.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
July 15 2011 12:50 GMT
#251
Incontrol just continues to prove the guy isnt just a nerd gamer, he ha is a very well spoken one! Excellent interview, and like others i miss you on SOTG and such shows, hope you don't pack in ITG any time soon!
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
July 15 2011 12:50 GMT
#252
On July 15 2011 15:05 Burpies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 13:34 Torte de Lini wrote:
On July 15 2011 12:41 Burpies wrote:
On July 15 2011 11:59 Kouda wrote:
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?

Yeah, I don't understand this comment either. TotalBiscuit has given way more to the StarCraft II community than he has taken from it. He has sponsored showmatches and tournaments out of his own pocket in the past and he plans on continuing this by using the money he is generating from his stream.to sponsor even more events.

Also, the comment after that about Lindsey doing the NASL event because she's "doing what she enjoys" and not because "she's looking to get rich" is equally as strange. It's pretty clear she did the event because she thought she could make a quick buck out of it. Isn't this exactly the type of thing that iNcontroL takes offense to? People coming from a non StarCraft related background and making money out of StarCraft II?

Such weird comments man...


Except Lindsey was hired by the NASL, so not sure how that fits with iNcontrol's offense?

Lindsey is doing StarCraft II stuff because she sees an opportunity to make money. iNcontroL finds it offensive when someone from a non SC related background gets money doing StarCraft II things. Lindsey is essentially earning money doing just that by working for NASL hence iNcontroL should be offended by her as well.


This, a hundred times over. TB has done quite some for the community and even though he isn't the greatest player I value his contribution alot more than eyecandy who has never played the game doing interviews.

England will fight to the last American
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
July 15 2011 12:51 GMT
#253
On July 15 2011 21:47 -Archangel- wrote:
I do not like so many people focusing on TB thing. Some other stuff was much more serious, like ignoring the big problem of downtime between games or the Seltzer girl that was "good" for community or some such bullshit.

They also didn't mention stream problems directly and decided to ignore sound problems even on the 3rd day.


He didn't say anything about Seltzer (who is actually "good" for the community but that's not the current discussion). Maybe you meant Lindsey?
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
Akta
Profile Joined February 2011
447 Posts
July 15 2011 12:55 GMT
#254
On July 15 2011 21:32 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 17:48 Wesso wrote:
Maybe Incontrol has some inside information, like TB asking more money than others for casting in large tournaments etc. Still strange to say such a thing randomly in an interview, and not at all the impression I have of TB.
I spent a couple of thousand to get to Dreamhack, I was not paid for that event. I got VoD rights which meant I could recoup some of it over the course of several months, otherwise I paid my travel and accomodation, rented a car, brought my own gear and was asked to cast on the Dreamhack stream so they received the stream revenue.
That was surprising to hear. I understand there could be deals other than direct payment but wouldn't have thought you would have to pay for anything either.

And you are another example of people I have disagreed with. Not sure if I've actually argued about something you said or did on these board(I probably have) but like with Incontrol it doesn't mean that I'm not a fan.

I don't think this is said often enough: Like hopefully many others I have nothing but respect for the players, casters and everyone else, like the team liquid people, that make my sc2 entertainment addiction possible.

Well I better quit before I start handing out man hugs. Respect yo!
ImHuko
Profile Joined December 2010
United States996 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 13:02:13
July 15 2011 12:57 GMT
#255
Incontrol never learns. TB has given back to the SC2 community (a community he was new to) than Incontrol has EVER (a community hes always been apart of).

Funny the thing is, there was a point at the beginning of Incontrol streaming where you couldn't watch him for more than 15 minutes without him talking about how much money he makes off of SC2. I have never heard TB talk about the amount of money he makes.

People give credit to NASL for producing a great finals as well.... No, it was the players who made it a great finals, not NASL.
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
July 15 2011 12:58 GMT
#256
I do not like so many people focusing on TB thing. Some other stuff was much more serious, like ignoring the big problem of downtime between games or the Seltzer girl that was "good" for community or some such bullshit.

They also didn't mention stream problems directly and decided to ignore sound problems even on the 3rd day.


I think you mean lindsey, Seltzer lives in korea and knows the scene and the game. Ignoring the real problems is just a debate tactic like everything he does. Avoid what you are uncomfortable with and talk about things you have more knowledge about than the people questioning you.
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
July 15 2011 13:00 GMT
#257
Grats Incontrol for another unflattering PR situation, I guess.

TB might not make himself any friends by how he acts on the forums, but he doesn't have half the foot-in-mouth problem that Incontrol does.
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
July 15 2011 13:01 GMT
#258
On July 15 2011 21:51 Linwelin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 21:47 -Archangel- wrote:
I do not like so many people focusing on TB thing. Some other stuff was much more serious, like ignoring the big problem of downtime between games or the Seltzer girl that was "good" for community or some such bullshit.

They also didn't mention stream problems directly and decided to ignore sound problems even on the 3rd day.


He didn't say anything about Seltzer (who is actually "good" for the community but that's not the current discussion). Maybe you meant Lindsey?

Yes, sorry, my mistake. I edited the post
-VanQuisH-
Profile Joined June 2011
9 Posts
July 15 2011 13:02 GMT
#259
Wait, so why is making money off of Starcraft II such a bad thing? Ok so what if TotalBiscuit profits off of some tournament that he hosted, does that make him a bad person because he got money out of it? That doesn't make sense in the slightest, you can't expect everyone to do things pro bono.
ThorZaiN/MMA | HuK/Alicia | MorroW/Nestea
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
July 15 2011 13:02 GMT
#260
On July 15 2011 21:57 ImHuko wrote:
Incontrol never learns. TB has given back to the SC2 community (a community he was new to) than Incontrol has EVER (a community hes always been apart of).

Funny the thing is, there was a point at the beginning of Incontrol streaming where you couldn't watch him for more than 15 minutes without him talking about how much money he makes off of SC2. I have never heard TB talk about the amount of money he makes.

I remember you when they announced the NASL and then Incontrol got you banned on the grounds of "you were streaming GSL material" :D
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 183
ProTech121
Nina 67
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2147
Shuttle 1102
Snow 89
Dewaltoss 60
Noble 49
Bale 42
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm164
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1098
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor557
Other Games
summit1g7735
JimRising 630
C9.Mang0322
PiGStarcraft276
Mew2King215
ViBE58
ArmadaUGS42
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 18
• Response 18
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota248
League of Legends
• Lourlo887
• Rush574
• Stunt253
Other Games
• Scarra713
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 41m
OSC
17h 41m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.