• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:35
CEST 07:35
KST 14:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8088 users

An NASL Retrospective With EG.iNcontroL

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
Colbi
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States535 Posts
July 15 2011 02:42 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Recently, Ryan "neversleep" Smith of http://www.myEG.net/ caught up with Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson for an in-depth interview about the NASL. In this interview, he answers questions about a number of topics surrounding the league. Here's an except from the interview:

neversleep: You were the source of a lot of the initial hype surrounding the NASL leading up to its launch and you became very closely associated with it--something of a figurehead for the entire league--have you been comfortable with that role? What’s that experience been like for you?

iNcontroL: A lot of times when I’m taking on a project I like to jump in with both feet and really go for it. The NASL was of a much bigger magnitude so when I jumped in and starting hyping it and putting out all the promises about what we wanted to accomplish, it was sort of from the perspective of a bewildered commentator--I didn’t really have a say in any of the decisions going into it. So it was a learning experience in the sense that I was the voice to the community on things that didn’t necessarily come to be, so I became the focus of all those unfulfilled expectations. In the future I think I’ll be a lot more cautious with my words because as you’ve seen elsewhere, it’s easier to be conservative and then surprise people than it is to announce the coming of a new era and then try to meet that expectation.

neversleep: We’ve just hit on the real high point of Season One but you know better than anyone that the NASL had its share of bumps in the road--having heard your share of the complaints, what criticisms do you think have been the most fair and which the most unfair?

iNcontroL: The most fair criticisms most certainly have been focused on the production side of things, but I think all criticism is valid, it just depends on how you go about voicing those concerns. But when someone is basically just being a jerk, making personal attacks, making claims about someones professionalism, or who they respect, when those things are pushed too far you risk becoming just some anonymous flamer on a forum. But if you say, ‘Hey, having an unstable schedule, broken projectors, a poor streaming experience--these things are not good and here are some reasons why and what you might do about it’, that’s completely valid and should be listened to. A lot of the problems were rooted in this simply being the first time out with a lot of trial and error which everyone was witness to. The important thing to remember is that the longer the NASL goes and the better they get about correcting those issues, they’re learning lessons all the time and getting faster about producing a better experience. A lot of people commented that Day One was an atrocity but Day Two was almost perfect--that’s the kind of turnaround the NASL should focus on replicating in the future.

You can read the entire interview at myEG.net
Editor-in-Chief for Team EG - http://www.twitter.com/LColbi
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
July 15 2011 02:46 GMT
#2
Good interview, I'm happy the finals ended up being so tremendous, really helped salvaged some of the woes he talked about earlier in the season.
EG.lectR
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States617 Posts
July 15 2011 02:50 GMT
#3
very well said by Geoff
@colindeshong
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
July 15 2011 02:54 GMT
#4
iNcontroL is a pr king. I miss him in his extra projects already. Thanks for the interview, great read.
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
July 15 2011 02:54 GMT
#5
Fight the good fight!

Finals were great and the league improved throughout the season. Hugs all round!
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
Alabasern
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4005 Posts
July 15 2011 02:56 GMT
#6
It was a rough road to the best ScII finals yet! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY! >_<
Support your esport!
tdt
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3179 Posts
July 15 2011 02:58 GMT
#7
Incontrol is a smart dude and good with people (and if he's not he'll break their neck) seriously, he should start his own league.
MC for president
Kouda
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States2205 Posts
July 15 2011 02:59 GMT
#8
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?
godemperor
Profile Joined October 2010
Belgium2043 Posts
July 15 2011 03:05 GMT
#9
On July 15 2011 11:59 Kouda wrote:
Show nested quote +
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?

I don't get it either, also the last 8 player invitation. (for which the prize pool of $1500 or $2500 were all directly from his as revenue from previous casts)
I am not the biggest TB fan as a caster but I really like what he has done for the community. I believe he even said he makes way more money from WoW than starcraft, but he does starcraft stuff for the community and enjoys it.
Also how can you not like a man who co-casted with MC?
ELA
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark4608 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 03:23:34
July 15 2011 03:05 GMT
#10
SirScoots ordered this interview to put distance between NASL and EG, called it ;-)

I really don't understand his broadside against Totalbiscuit however.. Geoff has time and time again said that the 'trolling' between Totalbiscuit and himself was just evil rumors and people looking for drama.. Well, if you make a comment like: "I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit" you are basicly going for the throat of the man.. Previous statements become quite hollow..

The EG-house sounds awesome, can't wait to see what kind of beast DeMuslim will turn into, once put into a training regiment.

The first link of chain forged, the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 03:11:11
July 15 2011 03:10 GMT
#11
On July 15 2011 11:59 Kouda wrote:
Show nested quote +
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?


yeah surprising comment coming from Incontrol

TotalBiscuit is a tremendously popular youtube personality and his subscriber base covers a wide gamut of different gaming backgrounds & genres

kind of surprised that Incontrol does not see how someone like TotalBiscuit can and does help expand Starcraft 2, and like you've already mentioned, TotalBiscuit has already given something back to progamers with his 1 day tournament.

anyways, inb4 TotalBiscuit starts defending himself via twitter, TL posts, or other means of communication

E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
Ruscour
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
5233 Posts
July 15 2011 03:10 GMT
#12
On July 15 2011 11:59 Kouda wrote:
Show nested quote +
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?

TotalBiscuit has addressed this...his other videos (he quit WoW content, mainly his WTF is? series which is first impressions content) get like 8 times the amount of views as his SC2 stuff does, and WoW content gets tons as well. I'm not saying his SC2 stuff isn't making him money, but to say he switched to make money is ludicrous.
tdt
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3179 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 03:13:17
July 15 2011 03:11 GMT
#13
Yeah his comment about TB was lame. Nothing wrong with getting into something for cash otherwise why am I going to university? Skool sux. But studying a bunch of stuff I found accounting specifically tax accounting to be very interesting. Same goes for TB he obviously loves the game now whatever his intentions were for joining and is enthusiastic and gives back.
MC for president
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
July 15 2011 03:14 GMT
#14
Good interview but I have two issues. The totalbiscuit thing doesn't make a lot of sense, if he was in it just for the money he wouldn't be doing eSports broadcasting at all.

As far as the delays go, comparing them to Columbus and Homestory Cup is ludicrous, NASL delays were for worse and far more often. Saying he can take a nap between his matches at MLG has nothing to do with the spectators. We got pretty much constant games at Columbus, nobody cares if Incontrol was sleeping well we were watching them. I understand why it might not seem like the NASL delays were that bad to Incontrol though, he was actually at the event and was probably busy with work or being social during much of the downtime which would definitely make it pass faster. I think if he watched the uncut VODs especially from days 1 and 2 his perspective would be different.
Chicane
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7875 Posts
July 15 2011 03:27 GMT
#15
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


Ya because he doesn't constantly promote starcraft on his channel, actively play to get better, and put his own money into hosting entertaining tournaments... oh wait he does...

I take less offense to someone like Lindsey, an actress and a model, getting hired for a gig and she says yes not because she’s looking to get rich but because it’s a good job doing what she enjoys and she’s dedicated to doing it well.


"doing what she enjoys and she's dedicated to doing it well" Replace the she's with he's and you are talking about TB. He has always been passionate about gaming and providing content for it.

I understand iNcontroL doesn't know much about TB or listen to any of his views and simply prefers to make statements based on his intuition of what kind of person he thinks TB is, but after I heard one of TB's dreamhack casts awhile ago and then looked into his channel... he actually has a very large interest in expanding esports and promoting games in general.

I guess that's why the response bothered me the most... I just highly doubt Geoff knows much about him, but he makes those kinds of statements anyway.

Other than that I thought it was a pretty good interview.
Disquiet
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia628 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 03:29:30
July 15 2011 03:27 GMT
#16
Nice interview but I disagree with the part about lindsey sporrer being a brilliant decision. The girl tried her best and did a good job in the end, but the first day was terrible it was clear she had no idea what she was talking about. While no-one was expecting Artosis level knowledge and I agree bringing in "camera pretty" personalities is a good step, they really should have required her to sit down a day before play a couple of games and read about the scene so she didn't look like complete buffoon during the interviews. It might have been a good idea at its heart but it was terribly managed in my opinion, a lot of the backlash could easily have been avoided.

Furthermore it saddens me when I see a lot of people blaming the fan backlash on the community being a bunch of misogynistic assholes who can't accept a female. Sure there are probably some misogynists, but there are assholes that hate on every personality for the most trivial of reasons. While not only negative and wrong, it paints the community in a bad light and doesn't help starcraft to grow, especially among the female audience. I think the most of the hate came not because she was female but because she was clueless on the first day. From the view of the fan its somewhat insulting to have someone who doesn't know what they are doing and be told we have to to like it or we are sexist pigs if you voice a complaint. It insinuates that the fans are mindless idiots and as long as we are given a pretty face it doesn't matter how terrible they are we will love it. While I wasn't one of the people railing against the girl, I know she was simply trying her hardest, I can see where a lot of people were coming from and how they might take it too far.

I really think the management did a terrible job in not making sure she was orientated and knew the basics about starcraft 2. When you watch a professional female interviewer for other sports, you don't expect her to be an expert but they always atleast are knowledgeable enough about the game, its terminology and players to be able to ask relevant questions.
Burpies
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada409 Posts
July 15 2011 03:41 GMT
#17
On July 15 2011 11:59 Kouda wrote:
Show nested quote +
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


I don't get this, I dont watch TotalBiscuit, but I do remember that he hosted a tourny in which the ad revenue went back into the prize pool for the next tourney. Granted, he's popular with the WoW folks and has a YouTube following, but is there like any evidence to back this? or could someone elaborate for me?

Yeah, I don't understand this comment either. TotalBiscuit has given way more to the StarCraft II community than he has taken from it. He has sponsored showmatches and tournaments out of his own pocket in the past and he plans on continuing this by using the money he is generating from his stream.to sponsor even more events.

Also, the comment after that about Lindsey doing the NASL event because she's "doing what she enjoys" and not because "she's looking to get rich" is equally as strange. It's pretty clear she did the event because she thought she could make a quick buck out of it. Isn't this exactly the type of thing that iNcontroL takes offense to? People coming from a non StarCraft related background and making money out of StarCraft II?

Such weird comments man...
EtohEtoh
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada669 Posts
July 15 2011 03:43 GMT
#18
On July 15 2011 12:27 Chicane wrote:
Show nested quote +
I honestly take more offense at people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II--someone like TotalBiscuit.


Ya because he doesn't constantly promote starcraft on his channel, actively play to get better, and put his own money into hosting entertaining tournaments... oh wait he does...

Show nested quote +
I take less offense to someone like Lindsey, an actress and a model, getting hired for a gig and she says yes not because she’s looking to get rich but because it’s a good job doing what she enjoys and she’s dedicated to doing it well.


"doing what she enjoys and she's dedicated to doing it well" Replace the she's with he's and you are talking about TB. He has always been passionate about gaming and providing content for it.

I understand iNcontroL doesn't know much about TB or listen to any of his views and simply prefers to make statements based on his intuition of what kind of person he thinks TB is, but after I heard one of TB's dreamhack casts awhile ago and then looked into his channel... he actually has a very large interest in expanding esports and promoting games in general.

I guess that's why the response bothered me the most... I just highly doubt Geoff knows much about him, but he makes those kinds of statements anyway.

Other than that I thought it was a pretty good interview.

also "people coming from other sports just to make money in Starcraft II". doesn't that sound a lot more like Lindsey?

Incontrol talks about how Russ' puts in his money in order to host a tournament. TB did the same thing.
Incontrol talks about expanding e-sports, breaking away from the mold,using the perspective of somebody from outside the starcraft scene, isn't that what TotalBiscuit was? and now that he's become a fan of the game. Isn't that the exact thing that Incontrol says he wants. The only thing that's different is TB isn't as hot as Lindsey
jenzebubble
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States183 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-15 03:48:14
July 15 2011 03:43 GMT
#19
I hope that someday esports, and competitive gaming in general, are big enough that we are in a position to make distinctions between casters/personalities/gamers based on what game/genre they play. "Oh.. Soandso? He's just carpet bagging SC3. He's totally a LoL2 devotee." Unfortunately we are not in a position where we can fracture our community into a bunch of niches. We, as gamers, are a niche demographic. Were we to do that now a lot of the people "in" this community would have to go. Wheat? Isn't a SC:BW/RTS guy. 2gd? Known for ego shooters and MMOs/arena. TotalBiscuit, while a bit defensive/reactionary on social media, is a professional. We need all of those on our side that we can get.

(edit before someone takes my comments the wrong way: I love djwheat and 2gd)
"It's like waxing your balls, it hurts like a biiiitch but after they are silky smooth...." -Kennigit
MountainGoat
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States508 Posts
July 15 2011 03:46 GMT
#20
The format of the EG site is really poor in my opinion the coloring is weird and the text is small. It's difficult to actually navigate and to read the interview.
1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 117
-ZergGirl 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1983
910 61
sorry 48
Bale 30
NotJumperer 15
Noble 12
yabsab 10
ZergMaN 10
Icarus 7
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 707
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox654
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor86
Other Games
summit1g7174
WinterStarcraft400
PiGStarcraft289
C9.Mang0249
Sick163
Livibee155
ArmadaUGS51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick591
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream251
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2295
League of Legends
• Stunt466
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 25m
Stellar Fest
7h 25m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.