• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:18
CEST 08:18
KST 15:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9846 users

NASL: Koreans? Top Koreans? - Page 72

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 106 Next
sevia
Profile Joined May 2010
United States954 Posts
March 16 2011 19:43 GMT
#1421
I think allowing the tournament to be Korean-heavy is a bad idea. It would create a lot of complications should NASL, or other western leagues, choose to transition into a live setting similar to GSL's setup. It may take a while to get to that point, but I see it as inevitable should western eSports take off.

I'm all for inviting a few top Koreans, but they need to realize that some commitment is expected of them.
최지성 Bomber || 김동환 viOLet || 고병재 GuMiho
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
March 16 2011 19:43 GMT
#1422
On March 17 2011 04:13 Kazang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 03:19 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
As long as the KR ladder remains strong, Americans have this opportunity (though Blizzard needs to make it easier for an American to connect to the KR server and get latency like in SC:BW).


Never going to happen.*

The reason for the apparent low latency in BW was because of where the servers were located, or not in the case of direct peer to peer games. You can't specifically choose what server, know where it is or dictate how you play SC2 so you can never get the lowest possible latency. Then of course there is a physical limitation in how fast information can travel over the pacific and back again.

The BW engine is also so terrible that it actually makes high latency less noticeable, it's simplicity Vs stability in netcode. SC2 has much more robust netcode that tries to insure equality and a consistent connection, but increases latency due to the number of loopbacks to the server. SC2 is extremely unlikely to have desync errors and problems of that type, actions not registering etc, but that stability comes at the cost of more noticeable lag when the latency does increase.


*if it ever does it will be at the same time they implement LAN play.

This sucks because SC2 seems to be worse in every way compared to SC1. For example, if I'm playing on KR server, and if my opponent and I give a command simultaneously, his command happens first. In this way, our games are out of sync. We do things at different times depending on our latency to the server. This isn't the case with SC1. Commands given simultaneously in the real world happen simultaneously in the game. Also in SC2, it's possible for the game to momentarily freeze and then skip ahead for one player, but for the other player to have a smooth experience the whole time.

It's just really disappointing because SC:BW was designed mainly for dial-up modems. As connections improved, Blizzard did nothing, but fans were able to make adjustments to take advantage of our internet connections. And then SC2 comes out and I'm thinking it'll be nice to not have to use third party programs anymore. But then they totally sacrificed the quality of long distance connections, which kinda blew my mind with how much PR they had about building SC2 for esports. NA to NA and EU to EU and KR to KR all provide excellent online experiences but they must have known that SC2 as an esport would require good connections cross continent =[[[
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Sharkyloft
Profile Joined December 2010
Colombia69 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 19:48:12
March 16 2011 19:47 GMT
#1423
"Dont invite them! They are way to good... what if we lose?" --> Coward

"I dont think inviting them is in accordance with our long term goals" --> Coward trying to hide it

"Bring it on Korean player! I'll play you!" --> Hero

Lets invite Best Korean Players... and beat them. What can possibly be better for the scene?
And if they win... we practice and beat them next year. Lets put the bar high. Dont be cowards.

Turgid
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1623 Posts
March 16 2011 19:50 GMT
#1424
On March 17 2011 04:43 sevia wrote:
I think allowing the tournament to be Korean-heavy is a bad idea. It would create a lot of complications should NASL, or other western leagues, choose to transition into a live setting similar to GSL's setup. It may take a while to get to that point, but I see it as inevitable should western eSports take off.

I'm all for inviting a few top Koreans, but they need to realize that some commitment is expected of them.

No commitment is expected of anybody else in a tournament, except that they finish that tournament, right? Nobody is EXPECTED to show up to the next season just because they received seeding. Worst case scenario there's a few rounds of tiebreakers while we sort shit out.
(╬ ಠ益ಠ)
GrackGyver
Profile Joined March 2011
61 Posts
March 16 2011 19:50 GMT
#1425
On March 17 2011 04:43 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 04:13 Kazang wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:19 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
As long as the KR ladder remains strong, Americans have this opportunity (though Blizzard needs to make it easier for an American to connect to the KR server and get latency like in SC:BW).


Never going to happen.*

The reason for the apparent low latency in BW was because of where the servers were located, or not in the case of direct peer to peer games. You can't specifically choose what server, know where it is or dictate how you play SC2 so you can never get the lowest possible latency. Then of course there is a physical limitation in how fast information can travel over the pacific and back again.

The BW engine is also so terrible that it actually makes high latency less noticeable, it's simplicity Vs stability in netcode. SC2 has much more robust netcode that tries to insure equality and a consistent connection, but increases latency due to the number of loopbacks to the server. SC2 is extremely unlikely to have desync errors and problems of that type, actions not registering etc, but that stability comes at the cost of more noticeable lag when the latency does increase.


*if it ever does it will be at the same time they implement LAN play.

This sucks because SC2 seems to be worse in every way compared to SC1. For example, if I'm playing on KR server, and if my opponent and I give a command simultaneously, his command happens first. In this way, our games are out of sync. We do things at different times depending on our latency to the server. This isn't the case with SC1. Commands given simultaneously in the real world happen simultaneously in the game. Also in SC2, it's possible for the game to momentarily freeze and then skip ahead for one player, but for the other player to have a smooth experience the whole time.

It's just really disappointing because SC:BW was designed mainly for dial-up modems. As connections improved, Blizzard did nothing, but fans were able to make adjustments to take advantage of our internet connections. And then SC2 comes out and I'm thinking it'll be nice to not have to use third party programs anymore. But then they totally sacrificed the quality of long distance connections, which kinda blew my mind with how much PR they had about building SC2 for esports. NA to NA and EU to EU and KR to KR all provide excellent online experiences but they must have known that SC2 as an esport would require good connections cross continent =[[[


I think we've figured out by now that Blizzard is more concerned with "protecting" their IP (however bad the consequences in the long run) than providing a really solid platform for ESports. Unfortunately, back when it mattered, pretty much all the community figures were busy telling the unruly mob to quiet down because no amount of complaining would get anything done.

So now that it doesn't really matter anymore because the game has been shipped and redoing whole portions of the engine would be a huge pain and is extremely unlikely, we're going to have Tyler and other community figures eventually deciding that after all it's kinda sad and the limitations of the engine are in fact hurting Sc2 as an ESport.

Little late to the party there.
HowSoOnIsNow
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada480 Posts
March 16 2011 19:52 GMT
#1426
I`m 6`3 and i`m terrible at Basketball. I`m from the Hood, i had the chance to play with guys who are in the States right now, playing College B-Ball. I played with them everydays during a summer. I got some moves down, i improved, i never got that good.

It`s not because you decide to play 14 hours a day of Sc that you`ll become a pro, able to compete with the best of them.
Real mens play Zerg.. Startale fighting.
nart
Profile Joined March 2011
97 Posts
March 16 2011 19:53 GMT
#1427
poor pokebunny has to go around the thread to explain to people that he's not expecting an NASL spot for himself, because people are flaming his comment.

This just shows you that when you're a known name within the SC community, you need to speak carefully. That's why sometimes being reserve like the Koreans would be helpful and negative comments toward pokebunny's NASL thought wouldn't have existed.
alexhard
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden317 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 19:54:05
March 16 2011 19:53 GMT
#1428
On March 17 2011 04:43 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
NA to NA and EU to EU and KR to KR all provide excellent online experiences


Isn't there a forced latency of 125ms or something? In any case, microing stuff in single player vs multiplayer feels extremely different. In w3/sc at least you could use 3rd party tools to lower the forced latency. No such luck now...
DizzyDrone
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands629 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:00:49
March 16 2011 19:56 GMT
#1429
Here's what I would do:

North American tournament? Invite people based on their performance in North American tournaments and the North American ladder. Reserve a few spots for European, Korean and SEA players based on performance in their own region (the same way GSL does).

Western tournament? Invite people based on their performance in both North American and European tournaments. Reserve a few spots for Korean and SEA players based on performance in Western tournaments (for example Ace, Moon, Squirtle and Moonglade for doing well in IEM).

International tournament? invite players based on their overall performance. Add in limits to make sure every region is represented equally.

There are a ton of different ways you could handle the invites. As long as the NASL communicates clearly what method they used to decide who gets invited any method that starts the league off with 50 good players is fine.
oGm`REM
Profile Joined March 2011
United States870 Posts
March 16 2011 19:58 GMT
#1430
I feel if Koreans (or anyone outside the North America) were allowed to play in the NASL.. I feel they should change their name considering NASL = North America StarCraft League. Just saying..
oriGinal Mixers '99 - www.smiteam.net
Pudge_172
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1378 Posts
March 16 2011 20:02 GMT
#1431
On March 17 2011 04:21 jmbthirteen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 04:10 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:56 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:33 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:28 dkim wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:24 chenchen wrote:
Hey Pokebunny! Let's see you try to learn Korean, make an application video in Korean, and give interesting interviews in Korean.


pokebunny wouldn't because he doesn't want to be seen like he is in it for the monies..... what?

I wouldn't because I don't care to be part of a scene where no one speaks the same language as me. I'm not blaming the players for wanting easy money, I'm saying I'd prefer they didn't play. The videos demonstrate, to me, that they aren't really the right players for the NASL. If you disagree, then that's your choice, and I respect that. If I wanted to go to korea and play competitively, I would certainly make an effort to learn korean.


So you are perfectly ok with the NA/EU scene falling behind Korea in sc2 just like it did in BW? That's exactly what will happen without Koreans in this tournament. The scene will not get better without NA/EU players going against Koreans on a regular basis.

And if you want to play professionally in Korea, you really don't have the time to learn Korean. Its not something that you can do quickly. And all your time will be spent playing the game.

Tyler is 100% correct. Adding Koreans to the NASL legitimizes this competition and will raise the skill level. How are players supposed to get better when they face inferior competition all the time? would Huk, Jinro, Idra and other guys that have been to Korea be as good as they are without their time spent in Korea? Absolutely not. We cannot replicate that level of play without competing against the Koreans. And if people really want the scene to grow in the west, the skill level needs to reach the Koreans sooner than later.

Yea I'm ok with us being worse than koreans. They're already so much farther down the path, its inevitable, I'd rather us keep our scene interesting locally.


I'm just gonna say that is a terrible attitude. Why don't you want to be the best of the best? The attitude like that won't grow eSports in the West. Why do you think more people watch the Premier League than MLS. Because its the best players. It's not going to be very interesting locally without involving the best players in the world. It's going to be just like BW then.




If you already have a Premier League in soccer/futbol, why would you want another league with those same exact players.
Diablo 3 Blog Me & My Mom http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=336890
dacthehork
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2000 Posts
March 16 2011 20:02 GMT
#1432
On March 17 2011 04:43 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 04:13 Kazang wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:19 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
As long as the KR ladder remains strong, Americans have this opportunity (though Blizzard needs to make it easier for an American to connect to the KR server and get latency like in SC:BW).


Never going to happen.*

The reason for the apparent low latency in BW was because of where the servers were located, or not in the case of direct peer to peer games. You can't specifically choose what server, know where it is or dictate how you play SC2 so you can never get the lowest possible latency. Then of course there is a physical limitation in how fast information can travel over the pacific and back again.

The BW engine is also so terrible that it actually makes high latency less noticeable, it's simplicity Vs stability in netcode. SC2 has much more robust netcode that tries to insure equality and a consistent connection, but increases latency due to the number of loopbacks to the server. SC2 is extremely unlikely to have desync errors and problems of that type, actions not registering etc, but that stability comes at the cost of more noticeable lag when the latency does increase.


*if it ever does it will be at the same time they implement LAN play.

This sucks because SC2 seems to be worse in every way compared to SC1. For example, if I'm playing on KR server, and if my opponent and I give a command simultaneously, his command happens first. In this way, our games are out of sync. We do things at different times depending on our latency to the server. This isn't the case with SC1. Commands given simultaneously in the real world happen simultaneously in the game. Also in SC2, it's possible for the game to momentarily freeze and then skip ahead for one player, but for the other player to have a smooth experience the whole time.

It's just really disappointing because SC:BW was designed mainly for dial-up modems. As connections improved, Blizzard did nothing, but fans were able to make adjustments to take advantage of our internet connections. And then SC2 comes out and I'm thinking it'll be nice to not have to use third party programs anymore. But then they totally sacrificed the quality of long distance connections, which kinda blew my mind with how much PR they had about building SC2 for esports. NA to NA and EU to EU and KR to KR all provide excellent online experiences but they must have known that SC2 as an esport would require good connections cross continent =[[[


Especially when companies like Valve and S2games and many others are actually at the state of the art, while blizzard/activision goes backwards. It can't work out well longterm.

DOTA 2 - Dedicated server hosting, optimized for worldwide play, Spectator friendly with "DELAYED" observer mode for every single game available to unlimited spectators. Meaning if a tournament happens, I can go into Dota 2 browser, and observe the game with an inbuilt delay. etc. Totally esports friendly. No maphacking due to dedicated servers only sending you information you can view. Coaching modes, etc.

HON - Dedicated server hosting in many locations allowing lowest possible pings. No maphacking due to too only sending information you can view.

Blizzard SC2 - No dedicated server hosting, instead it makes all traffic go through bnet 2.0, creating the worst possible latency and performance in the name of security. Horrible chat channels etc. They focused exclusively on stopping pirating with every decision and failed to provide the basic of basics like chat channels on release.


Warturtle - DOTA 2 is KING
goiflin
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1218 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:06:01
March 16 2011 20:03 GMT
#1433
On March 17 2011 04:58 oGm`REM wrote:
I feel if Koreans (or anyone outside the North America) were allowed to play in the NASL.. I feel they should change their name considering NASL = North America StarCraft League. Just saying..


A name is something that you spew out of your face to make someone else know what the verbs in your sentence correlate to.

The National Hockey League has teams in two nations, and people from nations that are thousands of miles away from both nations in which the teams are. They haven't changed their name.

NASL = Starleague that takes place in NA, not NA people starleague.
Bobster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany3075 Posts
March 16 2011 20:04 GMT
#1434
On March 17 2011 04:58 oGm`REM wrote:
I feel if Koreans (or anyone outside the North America) were allowed to play in the NASL.. I feel they should change their name considering NASL = North America StarCraft League. Just saying..
It's just a name. Don't get too hung up on it.

The finals are in North America, the sponsors are North American, the casters are North American, there will be North American players. It's fine to call it the North American Star League.
hmunkey
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom1973 Posts
March 16 2011 20:06 GMT
#1435
On March 17 2011 04:53 nart wrote:
poor pokebunny has to go around the thread to explain to people that he's not expecting an NASL spot for himself, because people are flaming his comment.

This just shows you that when you're a known name within the SC community, you need to speak carefully. That's why sometimes being reserve like the Koreans would be helpful and negative comments toward pokebunny's NASL thought wouldn't have existed.

The comments against Pokebunny have to do with how stupid his ideas are, not because of who he is as a person. But if you want to live in a world of ignorance go for it and just assume conflicting opinions are just personal attacks, go for it.

My main problem with his ideas are that he wants to make NASL a show, not a true competition. He'd rather have a reality show than a test of skill. I disagree with that notion.

Bobster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany3075 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:09:19
March 16 2011 20:07 GMT
#1436
On March 17 2011 05:02 Pudge_172 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 04:21 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:10 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:56 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:33 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:28 dkim wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:24 chenchen wrote:
Hey Pokebunny! Let's see you try to learn Korean, make an application video in Korean, and give interesting interviews in Korean.


pokebunny wouldn't because he doesn't want to be seen like he is in it for the monies..... what?

I wouldn't because I don't care to be part of a scene where no one speaks the same language as me. I'm not blaming the players for wanting easy money, I'm saying I'd prefer they didn't play. The videos demonstrate, to me, that they aren't really the right players for the NASL. If you disagree, then that's your choice, and I respect that. If I wanted to go to korea and play competitively, I would certainly make an effort to learn korean.


So you are perfectly ok with the NA/EU scene falling behind Korea in sc2 just like it did in BW? That's exactly what will happen without Koreans in this tournament. The scene will not get better without NA/EU players going against Koreans on a regular basis.

And if you want to play professionally in Korea, you really don't have the time to learn Korean. Its not something that you can do quickly. And all your time will be spent playing the game.

Tyler is 100% correct. Adding Koreans to the NASL legitimizes this competition and will raise the skill level. How are players supposed to get better when they face inferior competition all the time? would Huk, Jinro, Idra and other guys that have been to Korea be as good as they are without their time spent in Korea? Absolutely not. We cannot replicate that level of play without competing against the Koreans. And if people really want the scene to grow in the west, the skill level needs to reach the Koreans sooner than later.

Yea I'm ok with us being worse than koreans. They're already so much farther down the path, its inevitable, I'd rather us keep our scene interesting locally.


I'm just gonna say that is a terrible attitude. Why don't you want to be the best of the best? The attitude like that won't grow eSports in the West. Why do you think more people watch the Premier League than MLS. Because its the best players. It's not going to be very interesting locally without involving the best players in the world. It's going to be just like BW then.




If you already have a Premier League in soccer/futbol, why would you want another league with those same exact players.

If 50 of the current GSL Code A and Code S players are making up the NASL player pool, I agree with you.

Until then, be quiet and enjoy the differences.
Pudge_172
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1378 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:10:43
March 16 2011 20:09 GMT
#1437
On March 17 2011 05:07 Bobster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 05:02 Pudge_172 wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:21 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:10 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:56 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:33 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:28 dkim wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:24 chenchen wrote:
Hey Pokebunny! Let's see you try to learn Korean, make an application video in Korean, and give interesting interviews in Korean.


pokebunny wouldn't because he doesn't want to be seen like he is in it for the monies..... what?

I wouldn't because I don't care to be part of a scene where no one speaks the same language as me. I'm not blaming the players for wanting easy money, I'm saying I'd prefer they didn't play. The videos demonstrate, to me, that they aren't really the right players for the NASL. If you disagree, then that's your choice, and I respect that. If I wanted to go to korea and play competitively, I would certainly make an effort to learn korean.


So you are perfectly ok with the NA/EU scene falling behind Korea in sc2 just like it did in BW? That's exactly what will happen without Koreans in this tournament. The scene will not get better without NA/EU players going against Koreans on a regular basis.

And if you want to play professionally in Korea, you really don't have the time to learn Korean. Its not something that you can do quickly. And all your time will be spent playing the game.

Tyler is 100% correct. Adding Koreans to the NASL legitimizes this competition and will raise the skill level. How are players supposed to get better when they face inferior competition all the time? would Huk, Jinro, Idra and other guys that have been to Korea be as good as they are without their time spent in Korea? Absolutely not. We cannot replicate that level of play without competing against the Koreans. And if people really want the scene to grow in the west, the skill level needs to reach the Koreans sooner than later.

Yea I'm ok with us being worse than koreans. They're already so much farther down the path, its inevitable, I'd rather us keep our scene interesting locally.


I'm just gonna say that is a terrible attitude. Why don't you want to be the best of the best? The attitude like that won't grow eSports in the West. Why do you think more people watch the Premier League than MLS. Because its the best players. It's not going to be very interesting locally without involving the best players in the world. It's going to be just like BW then.




If you already have a Premier League in soccer/futbol, why would you want another league with those same exact players.

If 50 of the current GSL Code A and Code S players end up in the NASL, I agree with you.

Until then, enjoy the differences.



Why would you even want more than half of the same players in this league?

The way this league is structured(13 weeks), it should be heavily NA/EU.



Just saw your edit..... The only time I'm going to be quiet is when I'm banned......
Diablo 3 Blog Me & My Mom http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=336890
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:15:51
March 16 2011 20:14 GMT
#1438
On March 17 2011 05:09 Pudge_172 wrote:


The way this league is structured(13 weeks), it should be heavily NA/EU.



Just saw your edit..... The only time I'm going to be quiet is when I'm banned......



Indeed, a 13 week long league does lean more towards NA/EU.

It's like how coke tastes darker than square.
Bobster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany3075 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 20:19:45
March 16 2011 20:14 GMT
#1439
On March 17 2011 05:09 Pudge_172 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 05:07 Bobster wrote:
On March 17 2011 05:02 Pudge_172 wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:21 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:10 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:56 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:33 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:28 dkim wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:24 chenchen wrote:
Hey Pokebunny! Let's see you try to learn Korean, make an application video in Korean, and give interesting interviews in Korean.


pokebunny wouldn't because he doesn't want to be seen like he is in it for the monies..... what?

I wouldn't because I don't care to be part of a scene where no one speaks the same language as me. I'm not blaming the players for wanting easy money, I'm saying I'd prefer they didn't play. The videos demonstrate, to me, that they aren't really the right players for the NASL. If you disagree, then that's your choice, and I respect that. If I wanted to go to korea and play competitively, I would certainly make an effort to learn korean.


So you are perfectly ok with the NA/EU scene falling behind Korea in sc2 just like it did in BW? That's exactly what will happen without Koreans in this tournament. The scene will not get better without NA/EU players going against Koreans on a regular basis.

And if you want to play professionally in Korea, you really don't have the time to learn Korean. Its not something that you can do quickly. And all your time will be spent playing the game.

Tyler is 100% correct. Adding Koreans to the NASL legitimizes this competition and will raise the skill level. How are players supposed to get better when they face inferior competition all the time? would Huk, Jinro, Idra and other guys that have been to Korea be as good as they are without their time spent in Korea? Absolutely not. We cannot replicate that level of play without competing against the Koreans. And if people really want the scene to grow in the west, the skill level needs to reach the Koreans sooner than later.

Yea I'm ok with us being worse than koreans. They're already so much farther down the path, its inevitable, I'd rather us keep our scene interesting locally.


I'm just gonna say that is a terrible attitude. Why don't you want to be the best of the best? The attitude like that won't grow eSports in the West. Why do you think more people watch the Premier League than MLS. Because its the best players. It's not going to be very interesting locally without involving the best players in the world. It's going to be just like BW then.




If you already have a Premier League in soccer/futbol, why would you want another league with those same exact players.

If 50 of the current GSL Code A and Code S players end up in the NASL, I agree with you.

Until then, enjoy the differences.



Why would you even want more than half of the same players in this league?

The way this league is structured(13 weeks), it should be heavily NA/EU.



Just saw your edit..... The only time I'm going to be quiet is when I'm banned......

Wait, now it's only more than half? It was the exact same players a minute ago. :p

And seriously, we had 8 Korean applicants so far, with (hopefully) a couple more coming in later tonight. Don't worry about NASL inviting 25+ Koreans when there's 10+ Korean appplications along the 100+ applicants from all over the world.


edit: yeah, I don't get the "the way this league is structured" comment either. What does the length of the league has to do with anything. >_>
jmbthirteen
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States10734 Posts
March 16 2011 20:15 GMT
#1440
On March 17 2011 05:09 Pudge_172 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 05:07 Bobster wrote:
On March 17 2011 05:02 Pudge_172 wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:21 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 04:10 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:56 jmbthirteen wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:33 Pokebunny wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:28 dkim wrote:
On March 17 2011 03:24 chenchen wrote:
Hey Pokebunny! Let's see you try to learn Korean, make an application video in Korean, and give interesting interviews in Korean.


pokebunny wouldn't because he doesn't want to be seen like he is in it for the monies..... what?

I wouldn't because I don't care to be part of a scene where no one speaks the same language as me. I'm not blaming the players for wanting easy money, I'm saying I'd prefer they didn't play. The videos demonstrate, to me, that they aren't really the right players for the NASL. If you disagree, then that's your choice, and I respect that. If I wanted to go to korea and play competitively, I would certainly make an effort to learn korean.


So you are perfectly ok with the NA/EU scene falling behind Korea in sc2 just like it did in BW? That's exactly what will happen without Koreans in this tournament. The scene will not get better without NA/EU players going against Koreans on a regular basis.

And if you want to play professionally in Korea, you really don't have the time to learn Korean. Its not something that you can do quickly. And all your time will be spent playing the game.

Tyler is 100% correct. Adding Koreans to the NASL legitimizes this competition and will raise the skill level. How are players supposed to get better when they face inferior competition all the time? would Huk, Jinro, Idra and other guys that have been to Korea be as good as they are without their time spent in Korea? Absolutely not. We cannot replicate that level of play without competing against the Koreans. And if people really want the scene to grow in the west, the skill level needs to reach the Koreans sooner than later.

Yea I'm ok with us being worse than koreans. They're already so much farther down the path, its inevitable, I'd rather us keep our scene interesting locally.


I'm just gonna say that is a terrible attitude. Why don't you want to be the best of the best? The attitude like that won't grow eSports in the West. Why do you think more people watch the Premier League than MLS. Because its the best players. It's not going to be very interesting locally without involving the best players in the world. It's going to be just like BW then.




If you already have a Premier League in soccer/futbol, why would you want another league with those same exact players.

If 50 of the current GSL Code A and Code S players end up in the NASL, I agree with you.

Until then, enjoy the differences.



Why would you even want more than half of the same players in this league?

The way this league is structured(13 weeks), it should be heavily NA/EU.



Just saw your edit..... The only time I'm going to be quiet is when I'm banned......


Umm because those players provide the best games. Its pretty obvious that if the MLS could get the same players as the Premier league they would and they would be more popular because of it. The only thing is that its unrealistic in soccer to do so. In SC2 its not.

I want to see NA/EU players become the best in the world. Thats not going to happen without Korean competition.
www.superbeerbrothers.com
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 106 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 304
sorry 65
Mind 64
Bale 33
ZergMaN 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
League of Legends
JimRising 725
Other Games
summit1g7877
Coldzera 722
WinterStarcraft644
C9.Mang0318
Sick153
febbydoto22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
BasetradeTV176
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2168
League of Legends
• Rush1483
Other Games
• Shiphtur634
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
3h 43m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
5h 43m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 43m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.