• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:08
CEST 22:08
KST 05:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10671 users

Infusing Cash into Starcraft 2 - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 17 18 19 Next All
Raelcun
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States3747 Posts
December 14 2010 05:31 GMT
#21
Go read the Blizzard terms of use when you apply to run a tournament you cannot run a buyin tournament Blizzard will not allow it.
Shakes
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia557 Posts
December 14 2010 05:32 GMT
#22
I'm pretty sure that Blizzard doesn't allow tournaments to charge an entry fee.
avidday04
Profile Joined October 2010
United States63 Posts
December 14 2010 05:32 GMT
#23
On December 14 2010 14:27 Froadac wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On December 14 2010 14:24 avidday04 wrote:
I'd like to add that although in his example he used a 64 person tournament, it doesn't have to be that exactly. It could be an 8 man tourney with $10 buy in. It could be a 128 person tournament with $50 buy in, it's only limited to the imagination. Personally I'd probably only enter $1 tourneys till I got more skilled/made more money.

Issue with $1 is that the paypal would actually cost whoever recieved teh money quite a bit. At least $5 entry, or you end up in a situation where they can pay out MAX 60% rofl, the rest goes to paypal.


You are assuming paypal is the only option. On a larger scale project you can have an independent payment service that's unique to the starcraft tourneys. Plus I'm sure there are other payservices that are available besides scampa- errr paypal.
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
December 14 2010 05:32 GMT
#24
On December 14 2010 14:23 Froadac wrote:
Opportunity cost my friend. If you get enough tourneys out there, then theoretically it's flat out NOT WORTH THE TIME for the pros to play in small stakes tourneys.

By the way, there is a ton of money out there, but it's all going to the same group, and like 60k of it is going to the GSL rofl.


The only problem I can see is that they are already doing that exact same thing now. The best players are playing in small prize tournaments all the time, as is the point of the whole thread. If a player is ranked 100 in the top 200 and there's a 32 man or 64 man tournament with a $25 or $50 buy in, do you think that player is going to play in a 5 or 10 dollar tourney with a higher chance of winning or pay a lot more with a lot worse odds?

Maybe this would work but I really think there needs to be a ladder point restriction of some sort. That way tournaments could be separated to have players of similar skill involved. You could even have 5, 10, 25 etc dollar buy ins for bronze, silver, gold, plat, and diamond. I think the OP's idea would work well then, that way I could enter into a 'Under 2500k Diamond $5 Dollar Buy In Tournament" without worrying that all the best Diamond players would also be playing.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
NeoOmega
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States495 Posts
December 14 2010 05:34 GMT
#25
On December 14 2010 14:31 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
Go read the Blizzard terms of use when you apply to run a tournament you cannot run a buyin tournament Blizzard will not allow it.


I think he is implying that Blizzard run these tournaments which would change things.
Destiny
Profile Joined May 2009
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-14 05:34:48
December 14 2010 05:34 GMT
#26
On December 14 2010 14:31 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
Go read the Blizzard terms of use when you apply to run a tournament you cannot run a buyin tournament Blizzard will not allow it.
I understand there are possible hurdles to this, but I'm not interested in having a legal debate over an idea that the community might not care about anyway, please try to just stick to the idea.

If there are thousands/millions of people behind an idea, they will find a way to make it happen.
To achieve perfection is to sacrifice growth.
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
December 14 2010 05:36 GMT
#27
I really like your thinking. And your poker analogy is one I'm personally familiar with. Although I was never what I would consider a very good poker player I could made some money on some tables with low blinds.

Some people are saying that the pros will continue to play in the small prize tournaments because it's so easy to play in many tournaments. Certainly I agree that's true currently. The question is whether there could ever be so many tournaments that they couldn't anymore. I suppose maybe. Personally I'd put some money up to play in tournaments where I would have a chance of winning, and I think so would a lot of other people. but it would be difficult to get the ball rolling because when these tournaments first sprung up, top players would still likely be playing in them.

I think another possible problem is that most people who play starcraft aren't as interested in the exchange of money as your average online poker player. Not nearly as interested. I like your idea a lot but I think there would be quite a difficult transition period where average players would put up money and would be destined to lose.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
zonic
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand64 Posts
December 14 2010 05:36 GMT
#28
if we had simultanous tournaments running, 'pro-players' would be distributed among the competitions increasing the chances of 'average-players' to win some money.
but then again. this is gambling and against blizzard tou.
danson
Profile Joined April 2010
United States689 Posts
December 14 2010 05:37 GMT
#29
lol how many people in the US played baseball growing up?

and how many realised they werent going pro in it?

probably less than the 0.05% or w/e that make money from starcraft..

actually, if you put your mind to it, you have a MUCH better chance to make money at sc2 than most "real" sports.
Bluetea
Profile Joined August 2010
United States185 Posts
December 14 2010 05:38 GMT
#30
On December 14 2010 14:31 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
Go read the Blizzard terms of use when you apply to run a tournament you cannot run a buyin tournament Blizzard will not allow it.


Couldn't you technically just not apply to Blizzard for the tournament, and have it "behind their backs"?

I can't see how it's possible for them to monitor every tournament ever.
All these bitches is my sons.
skeldark
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2223 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-14 05:40:34
December 14 2010 05:38 GMT
#31
@ Steven.Bonnell.II
first half i was thinking dam hes right.
but than i think i miss the point.
why should a 500 points dia newb put money in when he knows he has 0 chance of winning?
why should i put 10$ in when i know i will die in round 4-5 against a pro like in all other tournements i play? perhaps when its new people will do it 1 time. when they see they have no chance they stop doing it. When you make tournements for each skill level you have the problem that people will hide there skill to play in lower tournements.


to the Blizzard will not allow it. i think thats right but not a good point. in most countrys on the world nobody cares if blizzard allows it or not. you dont have to run it in southkorea. you can run any tournement with sc2 without asking blizz on most countrys. they will not sue you because they know there is no way they win.

Save gaming: kill esport
dano101
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada92 Posts
December 14 2010 05:39 GMT
#32
it is a good concept, but not entirely feasible. Like you stated, the issue is money for people, and putting in 10$ every week or soe for a tourney is not worthwhile, even for a low level player. The reality is that many gamers are cheap, as a result of being a student and not having a job. Hell, so many people complain about the cost of Gomtv and pirate on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, put the best way to get this rolling is to have sponsors offer the small tourneys in ADDITION to big tournies. That way, sponsors can run a tourney for the small names at the same time as with the big names, which solves several problems at once (big players playing in small pools)
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
Enervate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1769 Posts
December 14 2010 05:42 GMT
#33
You can't really compare prizes in Starcraft with prizes in poker because the game of poker actually revolves around money while Starcraft does not.

Ultimately, I don't think prize money is the way to support gamers. Salaries are a far better option in my opinion because it is a more consistent and reliable way for a player's skill to translate into earnings. And in order for salaries to actually exist and be significant, money doesn't need to be infused into Starcraft, greater viewership does. If more people desire their services, more players will be paid, and players will be paid more. Having pro teams emerge and players actually being recruited and paid like in Korea and for other sports like football would be ideal, but it will only happen if there's a large enough audience.
Destiny
Profile Joined May 2009
United States280 Posts
December 14 2010 05:45 GMT
#34
Enervate, I think Starcraft 2 players appear incredibly cheap, however. As a company, why on earth would I want to sponsor a game where the players whine and cry about having to pay a measly $30 for GOMTV subscription fees???

The whole point of sponsoring is that it's a point of advertising, and if the company thinks the people are too cheap to buy anything in the first place, why bother advertising (or at least spending that much on it) at all?
To achieve perfection is to sacrifice growth.
Shakes
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia557 Posts
December 14 2010 05:46 GMT
#35
OK talking hypothetically assuming Blizzard would allow this to happen ...

One thing you have to realise is that you're not "infusing cash into SC2", like anything with a rake, you're skimming cash off of SC2. Just like with poker a few people get very rich and most people get a little poorer. To make such a pyramid scheme work you need a community of people who will put money into the system.

I don't really feel the SC2 has that kind of demographic. I'm not sure it would ever have that kind of demographic. It's a lot harder to fool yourself into thinking you're winning in SC2 than poker. One of the things that makes the poker scene work is the variance, even bad players can win on a good day. I don't think SC2 has that "anyone can beat anyone" aspect that poker has.
Destiny
Profile Joined May 2009
United States280 Posts
December 14 2010 05:49 GMT
#36
On December 14 2010 14:46 Shakes wrote:
OK talking hypothetically assuming Blizzard would allow this to happen ...

One thing you have to realise is that you're not "infusing cash into SC2", like anything with a rake, you're skimming cash off of SC2. Just like with poker a few people get very rich and most people get a little poorer. To make such a pyramid scheme work you need a community of people who will put money into the system.

I don't really feel the SC2 has that kind of demographic. I'm not sure it would ever have that kind of demographic. It's a lot harder to fool yourself into thinking you're winning in SC2 than poker. One of the things that makes the poker scene work is the variance, even bad players can win on a good day. I don't think SC2 has that "anyone can beat anyone" aspect that poker has.
I agree 100%! But I think that would make investing money into SC2 an even MORE exciting prospect - if I train hard and bring my best game to the tournament, I can be rewarded with a cash prize.

I don't think buy-in tournaments would "skim" any cash off of Starcraft 2, because it's money that's not currently going into it anyway.
To achieve perfection is to sacrifice growth.
gutter
Profile Joined December 2010
United States22 Posts
December 14 2010 05:49 GMT
#37
While I fully support having entry fees for tournaments, I don't think it would actually solve any problems. Also, I've heard from a few different places that there are serious restrictions on charging entry fees for SC2 tournaments. At first I was under the impression they weren't allowed to do it at all but I think MLG charges so there must be some specific rules on it.

SC2 lends itself to a different kind of mindset than poker, MTG, or any other game where the occasional lucky break can hyper-inflate a player's self-sense of skill. Even though everyone that plays SC2 thinks that they're god's gift to theorycrafting, most are also painfully aware of how their game is deficient in other areas. Blowing $10 per tournament gets old when it becomes clear that I have a very long way to go before I can even hope to pu ll second place. The pro players aren't dumb either. Why would they pay $200 to enter into the super-ultra-pro-competitive tournament when they could just drop down a level and dominate the whole thing. And then other pros do that too, and eventually the $200 SUPC tourney is just a token showing that no one really cares about and all the pros are looking to make an income off of lower level games. Then the low level players realize that these low level games aren't really that low level and they stop trying.

In fact, if I were looking to "go pro", I'd love the fact that there are pros playing for these measly prize pools with no barrier to entry. It'd mean that with a bit of time and effort, if I was good enough, I'd be able to make a splash.
R0YAL
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States1768 Posts
December 14 2010 05:50 GMT
#38
How can you expect there to be "enough" money in it when the game is so young? You have to give it time bro, the scene is just developing.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
heishe
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany2284 Posts
December 14 2010 05:50 GMT
#39
that would work for a few weeks at most. then people would start to realize that the same few guys who always win still always win this tournament and nobody is going to want to play it.
If you value your soul, never look into the eye of a horse. Your soul will forever be lost in the void of the horse.
Destiny
Profile Joined May 2009
United States280 Posts
December 14 2010 05:52 GMT
#40
On December 14 2010 14:50 R0YAL wrote:
How can you expect there to be "enough" money in it when the game is so young? You have to give it time bro, the scene is just developing.
Developing like what, Brood war did??? There was never much money in that game for the average player, either. I doubt anyone below A+ ICCup ever made a dime off of SC:BW. :/
To achieve perfection is to sacrifice growth.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 433
IndyStarCraft 266
EmSc Tv 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21465
Calm 2208
Shuttle 344
White-Ra 181
Mini 172
ZZZero.O 120
firebathero 71
soO 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5612
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1503
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4481
Liquid`Hasu600
Other Games
summit1g5977
Liquid`RaSZi2361
fl0m1478
FrodaN1316
olofmeister877
B2W.Neo809
RotterdaM716
crisheroes344
Beastyqt332
Livibee212
Pyrionflax184
Mew2King60
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick932
BasetradeTV196
StarCraft 2
angryscii 23
EmSc Tv 16
EmSc2Tv 16
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 18
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki44
• blackmanpl 24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1699
• Shiphtur699
• WagamamaTV349
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 53m
Replay Cast
2h 53m
OSC
15h 53m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.