• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:40
CEST 03:40
KST 10:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9248 users

The 100 Four Gate Challenge - Page 23

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 29 Next All
FLuE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1012 Posts
January 10 2011 14:24 GMT
#441
it is the WRONG way to play


Dude it is a game, there is no wrong way to play if you are having fun and doing what you want to do. It might be the wrong way that you want to play, but where do you get off telling people how they are suppose to play the game?

This is just a challenge, a fun thing to do.

Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 14:25 GMT
#442
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.
FrayzZeUsher
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States225 Posts
January 10 2011 14:41 GMT
#443
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.
optical630
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom768 Posts
January 10 2011 14:51 GMT
#444
maybe zerg shud do a 6 pool challenge

and call it fun for us to the haters because "its a method of winning"
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 15:16 GMT
#445
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.
iddy
Profile Joined October 2010
Iceland4 Posts
January 10 2011 15:24 GMT
#446
On January 11 2011 00:16 Sm3agol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.


Don't really like your attitude. What's fun with using only gateway units/dt's/immortals when you can have 4 bases warp in hight templar all over the place and get fully upgraded zealots who eat trough anything and those bad ass colossii. I think you really would like to play the macro game but you are frightened of it.
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 15:36 GMT
#447
On January 11 2011 00:24 iddy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2011 00:16 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.


Don't really like your attitude. What's fun with using only gateway units/dt's/immortals when you can have 4 bases warp in hight templar all over the place and get fully upgraded zealots who eat trough anything and those bad ass colossii. I think you really would like to play the macro game but you are frightened of it.


Um, because warping in HTs all over the place, and throwing 75 storms a minute down off 6 bases into his 25 maruaders a minute pumping off 6 bases just isn't fun to me. I can, and have played big macro games, that's the nature of the game. I can 4-gate all I want, but many times, I won't be able to finish an opponent off with 4-gate, and have to expo and go macro mode. but i don't enjoy it that much. Funny thing is, I've had a lot of success when games go into macro mode, but I just don't enjoy it as much.

Maybe its the FPS perfectionist in me, I dunno. But I enjoy a crisp 4-gate where i lose 3 total units while wiping his forces off the face of the map, then walking into his base and raping all his workers, forcing a quick gg far more than macroing up to 4 bases, getting a 200/200 army of colossi, gateway, and void rays, and slowly strangling someone to death. Sorry, but i just don't like "correct" way to play the game as much. And I don't plan on changing the way I like to play the game just to make some guy who spends 4 hours a day practicing his 3 base macro game happy. Sorry Mr. 3 base macro guy, but your micro better be up to par or you'll never get to your 3 base macro game vs me.
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
January 10 2011 15:48 GMT
#448
people like macro games because they prefer to play starcraft 2 for its mental elements, not its physical elements. they prefer a game that is NOT predicated on who can click their mouse faster. macro games are cerebral, defending a 4 gate is not. that is the distinction.
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
January 10 2011 15:52 GMT
#449
--- Nuked ---
FrayzZeUsher
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States225 Posts
January 10 2011 15:58 GMT
#450
On January 11 2011 00:16 Sm3agol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.


I wouldnt say so, im 16 and improving steadily through constant practice.

oh nvm ur an fps player - id expect your standards of 'excitement' to be low enough to enjoy 4gating.

User was temp banned for this post.
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 16:10 GMT
#451
On January 11 2011 00:48 annul wrote:
people like macro games because they prefer to play starcraft 2 for its mental elements, not its physical elements. they prefer a game that is NOT predicated on who can click their mouse faster. macro games are cerebral, defending a 4 gate is not. that is the distinction.


I'll answer with an FPS example.

I am not a strategist. I have good aim and reaction times that I worked on to improve. So I use these to my advantage. When I'm playing CT in counterstrike(defense) I liked to push. Why? I'm not that good at the strategic/positioning part of the game, i mostly preferred to out-aim them. So instead of sitting and waiting for some perfectly timed and executed smoke and flash strategy to come and hit me, I just waited for about the time when they were setting up, then I'd just push out and use my (sometimes) superior aim to completely nullify their strategic and tactical advantages.

Same thing in SC2. I use what I'm good at to win me games.

Oh, and before one of you challenges me to 1 v 1, etc, I'll fully admit I'm not even very good at micro. But I enjoy trying and getting better at it...so that is what I do.
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
January 10 2011 16:12 GMT
#452
--- Nuked ---
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 16:16 GMT
#453
On January 11 2011 00:58 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2011 00:16 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.


I wouldnt say so, im 16 and improving steadily through constant practice.


oh nvm ur an fps player - id expect your standards of 'excitement' to be low enough to enjoy 4gating.


I don't enjoy 4 gating per se. I'll fully agree that hitting a 4 gate timing where they are just teching up, and have, like, 3 units total....is not fun. But the bright side is those games last about 6 minutes long, and I just go to the next game, same with him. But i do enjoy intense micro battles, and so I play games that tend to that style of gameplay.

And you have no idea about FPS excitement if you are dissing it. I played competitive FPS for several years, and nothing in SC2 can be much more exciting than winning a 1 v 4 clutch in the OT of a playoff game. Or coming back from a 6-1 deficit in a duel and winning 7-6.

And I have no idea wtf that bolded section your argument is supposed to mean.
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 16:22 GMT
#454
On January 11 2011 01:12 stormtemplar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2011 01:10 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 11 2011 00:48 annul wrote:
people like macro games because they prefer to play starcraft 2 for its mental elements, not its physical elements. they prefer a game that is NOT predicated on who can click their mouse faster. macro games are cerebral, defending a 4 gate is not. that is the distinction.


I'll answer with an FPS example.

I am not a strategist. I have good aim and reaction times that I worked on to improve. So I use these to my advantage. When I'm playing CT in counterstrike(defense) I liked to push. Why? I'm not that good at the strategic/positioning part of the game, i mostly preferred to out-aim them. So instead of sitting and waiting for some perfectly timed and executed smoke and flash strategy to come and hit me, I just waited for about the time when they were setting up, then I'd just push out and use my (sometimes) superior aim to completely nullify their strategic and tactical advantages.

Same thing in SC2. I use what I'm good at to win me games.

Oh, and before one of you challenges me to 1 v 1, etc, I'll fully admit I'm not even very good at micro. But I enjoy trying and getting better at it...so that is what I do.



The thing I don't like about that is that it puts you on a time limit. If you don't win by about 12 minutes, a macro player will faceroll you.


Not necessarily. If I do damage, or deny your expo long enough to get mine down when I see I won't break your contain, then I still can win.

For example, if I screw up my, say, 3 gate robo, and he has time to seige tank and bunker up, I won't break his ramp easily. So i just hold at the bottom, drop an expo, and try to run him over with void rays/colossi/whatever. But that's just the style I like to play. So, if i don't win by 12 minutes, maybe I lose. But that's my opponents reward for holding me off. He gets to start playing the way he likes.
buCk-
Profile Joined December 2010
United States47 Posts
January 10 2011 16:29 GMT
#455
SC2 is all about having fun. If someone finds 4gating to be the most fun, that's their decision. I prefer a quick game to an hour long game anyday.
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
January 10 2011 17:26 GMT
#456
The wrong way of playing the game is losing, do whatever it takes to win. It's on the other people to figure out how to beat 4gating easily until it's no longer a controversial build
Tone_
Profile Joined May 2009
United Kingdom554 Posts
January 10 2011 17:32 GMT
#457
What the hell. People seem to be missing the point. Surely this is about seeing the success rate of just 4gating and judging it as a tactic.

It's not like the guys made a post saying "wow 4gate is the best thing ever, everything else is shit".
Hasta La Victoria Siempre | 톤
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
January 10 2011 17:35 GMT
#458
On a related note, anyone who plays vs Toss, and isn't prepared for a 4 gate at all around 6 minutes deserves to lose.
PatoSC
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1 Post
January 10 2011 17:55 GMT
#459
Name/ID: Pato.183
Division: SilverPoints before "Hundred 4Gate Challenge": 193 Bonus Pool (2071)
Points Games into challenge:
Final score:
Just starting out, probably play some games later.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
January 10 2011 17:55 GMT
#460
On January 11 2011 00:58 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2011 00:16 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:41 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
On January 10 2011 23:25 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:26 alphafuzard wrote:
On January 10 2011 13:18 Sm3agol wrote:
On January 10 2011 11:16 FrayzZeUsher wrote:
excuse me... but why would your promote such a strat.

One basing is the WRONG way to play the game, remember that.

Really? How is that the wrong way to play the game. I don't see any, "no 1 base all-ins" in Blizzard's ToS.
Does it win games? Yes.
Then it is a right way to play the game.

Me speaking personally, I hate big macro games. i feel like it reduces games to pure unit composition and macro, instead of fun micro, and amazing tactical play. I enjoy a crisp 4 gate win where I FF 4 of his zealots into a corner and waste them with stalker/sentry, and that great play winning the game for me. Macroing inot a giant Toss death ball, and A-moving over a my enemies army, losing most of it but doing damage, re-macroing up, and slowly pushing him into oblivion? Not so fun. 30 minute game, and half of it is just managing your economy.

imo the most beautiful tactics are in the late game
the ball of death players are usually much easier to beat than players with a competent and confident late game
also it shows off the real skill of the players in many more aspects than 8 minutes build order wins


ANNNNNNDD we're done here. I prefer short micro based games. You prefer long macro based games.

We couldn't both be right could we? Amazingly enough, we are both right. And so we do the things in the game we play for FUN, in a way that is FUN for us.

Radical concept, I know, but as far as I know, one base micro gamers win just as many games as multiple base macro gamers. And if 1 basing is "nerfed" then going 4 gate all-in will be a lot less fun due to losing, and hence, I'll stop doing it, because it won't be as fun any more.

Until then, if you see my name come up while laddering, scout your base for proxy warpgates at all times, and prepare for 4-gate/3 gate robo/ DTs etc, because they are coming.


In other words you aren't really that good at the game.

besides, if you think doing a 4gate or auto winning with DTs against people that are working hard to get better is fun or exciting. I sincerely wish you check your mental state.

ROFL? YOU need your mental state checked. I'm having fun. You are working hard and practicing a video game that in all likelihood will never return you a profit.

And if I'm bad at the game, then I wouldn't be beating other people's 4 gates or other "micro" based openings. My small group micro and tactical play is pretty solid, and getting better. Your macro and general micro is probably better than mine. So what? I am still winning. If you can't hold off a 4-gate, then get better.

SC2 is obviously not a pure macro based game. So why is that the "correct" way to play? The correct way to play is the way that wins and is fun for you. You like macro. I like micro and hate "macro". So if you play me, by god, you're going to have to micro better than me to get to the macro portion of the game, where you will start having fun, and will beat me. If not, I'll have loads of fun baiting your units down your ramp, FF them away from it, and then running up with my units up and raping your base. You'll rage and quit and harass me in chat telling me I suck, and I'll just keep playing the way I like, and keep beating you because I obviously don't know how to play the game.


I wouldnt say so, im 16 and improving steadily through constant practice.

oh nvm ur an fps player - id expect your standards of 'excitement' to be low enough to enjoy 4gating.


Why are you even on this site? This is a forum for Starcraft 2 players, not fastest map nr20 players. If someone can win in 10 minutes when you don't know how to end the game in under 30 minutes, you are hardly in a position to claim the other guy is less skilled. 4 gating is an important skill for high level play, and if you can't do it then you're not good at Protoss.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft483
CranKy Ducklings54
EnkiAlexander 10
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft483
CosmosSc2 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2237
Artosis 607
Dota 2
monkeys_forever674
Counter-Strike
taco 282
Coldzera 47
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox445
Other Games
summit1g8394
JimRising 640
C9.Mang0356
Day[9].tv345
Maynarde154
ViBE146
Livibee62
ArmadaUGS51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream115
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv345
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
9h 20m
Stellar Fest
11h 20m
The PondCast
1d 8h
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
OSC
1d 22h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.