• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:51
CEST 14:51
KST 21:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8255 users

Brutal NUR (No Upgrades Run) - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Next All
Chronopolis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1484 Posts
August 31 2010 00:28 GMT
#101
Props for doing Haven't fall. It is arguably the hardest mission in the campaign (without overbearing upgrades). It took me 20+ saves to go through it with tank marine medic viking.
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
August 31 2010 04:50 GMT
#102
Did it with wease with banshees, but.... I can hear you, I know how it feels when you don't have right unit
Cool dude, I hope:)
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
August 31 2010 04:57 GMT
#103
Well, how do you deal with situation in Engine of Destruction when your wraith are out of energy ? Do you fight as well ? What you do with Odin then, leave him alone ? He can't make it himself on base 3 it seems.

Did you used any tanks ? I mean they do 60+ damage, have you used them for base destroying ?
Cool dude, I hope:)
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
August 31 2010 05:02 GMT
#104
Waiting for EoD video, still can't find it on first post, so tempting...eh
Cool dude, I hope:)
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
August 31 2010 05:20 GMT
#105
Haha, your Supernova strategy is so cheesy. Hilarious.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
August 31 2010 05:54 GMT
#106
On August 31 2010 14:20 MangoTango wrote:
Haha, your Supernova strategy is so cheesy. Hilarious.


No other way. I tried it legitly, moving from base to base, but due to the lack of upgrades, getting enough units to break through the 3rd base before the fire hits is way to hard or simply impossible. Actually I did make it to the 3rd Protoss base a few times, I just got demolished by carrier/scout/storms. So yea...

On August 31 2010 13:57 seolinker wrote:
Well, how do you deal with situation in Engine of Destruction when your wraith are out of energy ? Do you fight as well ? What you do with Odin then, leave him alone ? He can't make it himself on base 3 it seems.

Did you used any tanks ? I mean they do 60+ damage, have you used them for base destroying ?


The only units I had following Odin was 2 medics, some scvs, and wraiths. If I got the time I'll move individual wraiths back to the base to get repaired. If Odin seems fit enough to live I'll move all wraiths back for repairs. The wraith's kill priority should be: ravens, bcs, siege tanks, any other air unit, then ground units. I use 2 tanks at right side of base for defense. Generally after I cleared the air and tanks I'll just let the wraiths sit there and micro the scvs to prevent them from dieing. The problem I encountered is that I messed up the micro for the 4th base and ended up with 3 wraiths remaining. This isn't enough to fight back the final harass on your base apparently. After Odin started resting before the final base, I waited for a ghost to finish and move all units to the 4th base (cc included). The original intention of the ghost was to nuke the bcs, but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Anyways with 2 cloaked wraiths left, ~5 or so scvs, a tank, some marines, a ghost, and a handful of minerals, I managed to keep Odin alive long enough to end the mission.

On August 31 2010 14:02 seolinker wrote:
Waiting for EoD video, still can't find it on first post, so tempting...eh


The video for this should be up by tomorrow night (PST time).
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
August 31 2010 06:38 GMT
#107
Ah...ghost, no man, ghost here = cheat NO ghosts!

I did it right before I posting it, I did it with wall of, key to sit no more than 10-12 minutes, not like 25-30, cause you will not make it, they will get fucking strong! Yeah, you need to kill on 2nd base - raven, BC, tank, 2 medivacs, 3rd - 2 tanks, BC, 3 medivacs, maybe even tank after turret AND factories!!!! Yes and if possible barracks. 4th - 2 tanks, BC, lot of banshees, try not kill vikings with wraith, cause they will be low energy. You MUST kill starports with them and also try barrack with maradeurs.

I need to add, that yes like 1 time in a minute send 1-2 SCV to heal.
Most important since you walled off, they will keep sending attacks from 3rd base too, and when you will be on base 3 - from base 4 (banshee, viking, marines) and you will not have rest in it sense!!! you will be constantly attacked!!! I have taken my CC before base 5 and flyed to upper right corner of screen (they will find you if it will be simply center) cause attach after base 4 already was on my main base, but what save me time... ? - wall of base in their 1st base.

Then I had full Odin, 2 tanks (1 more like dead though), about 18 wraith. First was BC (they still send me Yamato ( ) and Raven. Then I drive with tanks, Odin killed the bunkers, I - 3 banshees, he some vikings...then second Yamato or no... no! Killed second BC, few more Ravens (they ver hard to kill, even BC more easier!!!!!)... few more banshees and vikings, and I left with like 3 or so.... and just 2 more banshes killed and they died of vikings...3rd BC...Odin had like 700hp or so...and thankfully nevermind and start his nuke...their guard was already after my CC. Still consider this hardest mission in the game, it was all pure luck, NOT walling off didn't worked for me well. Still waiting for video
Cool dude, I hope:)
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 07:35:59
August 31 2010 07:31 GMT
#108
By the way I did Maw of The void almost same way like SuperNova, no way in hell I would beat that protosses on brutal with so much lack of resources. On hard I was able to get like 24 BC, on Brutal, more like 16. Rest destroyed. So I simply destroyed, 1st generator (at start), then build base, then second, probably third...or even no, not on direct line to artifact, that one in bottom it seems. And simply make up to 20 crusers on all money and swim in bottom of the map (buildings and strong fleet will not let you on top), there are few carries with photon, then next generator at bottom and...then simply Yamato the hell out of artifact box 15 crusers were half dead left.
Cool dude, I hope:)
dybydx
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada1764 Posts
August 31 2010 08:09 GMT
#109
on Maw of the Void, its possible to approach the 2nd and 3rd rip fields from such angles that allow you to bypass most of the enemy defenses.

i usually fly in, snipe the rip field generator, return for repair and then come back to clean up the protoss buildings (i assume this reduce amount of enemy units produced, but i have no idea).
...from the land of imba
seolinker
Profile Joined July 2010
Ukraine69 Posts
August 31 2010 09:33 GMT
#110
Yea, it reduced, on Brutal, they reproduce and with decent speed.
Cool dude, I hope:)
BlueSorc
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United Kingdom119 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 12:50:52
August 31 2010 12:48 GMT
#111
I'm considering giving this a go, but with "no new units"; no building the new unit that you get given on each mission. You get to use the units you get given at the beginning, otherwise certain missions (like liberation day and the moebius one with medivacs) are literally not possible to complete in certain circumstances.

As someone said previously, a whole bunch of missions are rendered not particularly hard at all by the challenge without the additional condition, because all people did in the first place was mass the new unit, anyway. Not suggesting that its a cakewalk for you, this doesn't alter the difficulty of the real challenge (All In), but it just adds a bit more spice to levels like The Great Train Robbery.

I can't think of many other Final Fantasy-esque uber challenges for the campaign. No tech labs? No add ons?

I wonder if its possible JUST using marines? I bet it is, excluding missions that need air units.
PrinceXizor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States17713 Posts
August 31 2010 13:59 GMT
#112
On August 31 2010 21:48 BlueSorc wrote:

I wonder if its possible JUST using marines? I bet it is, excluding missions that need air units.

Drop pod upgrade.
BlueSorc
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United Kingdom119 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 19:35:06
August 31 2010 19:34 GMT
#113
On August 31 2010 22:59 PrinceXizor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 21:48 BlueSorc wrote:

I wonder if its possible JUST using marines? I bet it is, excluding missions that need air units.

Drop pod upgrade.


Just marines, in addition to no upgrades, I mean. The hardest of hardcores.

It did occur to me that lifting barracks could overcome this problem too, though.
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
August 31 2010 20:48 GMT
#114
On September 01 2010 04:34 BlueSorc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 22:59 PrinceXizor wrote:
On August 31 2010 21:48 BlueSorc wrote:

I wonder if its possible JUST using marines? I bet it is, excluding missions that need air units.

Drop pod upgrade.


Just marines, in addition to no upgrades, I mean. The hardest of hardcores.

It did occur to me that lifting barracks could overcome this problem too, though.


I will try this...
so it's JUST marines bunkers and missile turrets, with no upgrades or techs? totally do-able on normal at least, the challenge will be the no stim and no medics when doing it on brutal...

still sounds like an awesome challenge, a lot more fun then speed-runs.

I think doing a marine only brutal run would actually work if you were allowed to get techs/upgrades, specifically the drop pod upgrade.

Another intrigueing idea is only being allowed to use mercenaries, never building anything but SCVs from your actual base.
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
August 31 2010 20:50 GMT
#115
the merc only one would include a lot of bunker hopping warpigs and hammer securities guys forward, as well as a swarm of SCVs on auto-repair I think...
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 20:57:01
August 31 2010 20:52 GMT
#116
After I get back from PAX I will start posting replays of both the marine only no upgrades brutal run, where I'll probably cave and get some upgrades at some point (I'll mark how far I get without them though) and the merc only run (allowed to have upgrades, but SCVs are the only non-merc unit allowed to be made)
by upgrades I mean either the zerg/toss techs or the armoury upgrades

If both of these prove to be too much I'll cave in steps until I'm doing marine+mercs+upgrades run
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 20:57:42
August 31 2010 20:57 GMT
#117
On September 01 2010 05:52 Shiladie wrote:
After I get back from PAX I will start posting replays of both the marine only no upgrades brutal run, where I'll probably cave and get some upgrades at some point (I'll mark how far I get without them though) and the merc only run (allowed to have upgrades, but SCVs are the only non-merc unit allowed to be made)
by upgrades I mean either the zerg/toss techs or the armoury upgrades


That I would say is impossible. With the storms and colossus on Welcome to the Jungle you are already dead. Furthermore, marines without upgrades cannot beat All In.

BTW Engine of Destruction video will be delayed. My friend forgot to upload it.
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 21:34:02
August 31 2010 21:10 GMT
#118
On September 01 2010 05:57 Zades wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 01 2010 05:52 Shiladie wrote:
After I get back from PAX I will start posting replays of both the marine only no upgrades brutal run, where I'll probably cave and get some upgrades at some point (I'll mark how far I get without them though) and the merc only run (allowed to have upgrades, but SCVs are the only non-merc unit allowed to be made)
by upgrades I mean either the zerg/toss techs or the armoury upgrades


That I would say is impossible. With the storms and colossus on Welcome to the Jungle you are already dead. Furthermore, marines without upgrades cannot beat All In.

BTW Engine of Destruction video will be delayed. My friend forgot to upload it.


If you are only making marines, you can spread them out enough to be able to make it. And for All-in I'll need to do nydus, as there's no way to kill the leviathan/broodlords, which will mean mass bunkers on each enterence. People forget that marines with their weapon upgrades are probably the top dps/cost units in the game apart from cracklings. throw that in bunkers everywhere and I think this may be do-able... (I may be on crack though...)

theorycrafting for all-in, you'll need to bunker up some of the actual nydus spawn locations, I think if there's a building in the way they don't spawn, but I'm not 100% sure... either way it'll probably be a save every 30 seconds to a minute...

utilizing the units you're given at the start of each mission I think will be key as well in this run...
Mobius
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1268 Posts
August 31 2010 21:54 GMT
#119
i beat it without any research things, and only a couple of credit things on brutal.. didnt seem that hard..

i got mule, faster repair, faster medic heal, marine/marauder/siege tanks and pretty sure thats it
oh and siege tank/marauder mercenaries.
Entusman #51
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
August 31 2010 22:07 GMT
#120
On September 01 2010 06:54 Mobius wrote:
i beat it without any research things, and only a couple of credit things on brutal.. didnt seem that hard..

i got mule, faster repair, faster medic heal, marine/marauder/siege tanks and pretty sure thats it
oh and siege tank/marauder mercenaries.


That's a lot of upgrades actually. Since the main upgrades are the tanks/marine/medic since they are used the most in campaign. Doing it without any upgrades or mercs is quite hard.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
CosmosSc2 2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech127
Rex 113
CosmosSc2 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48166
Hyuk 1432
Jaedong 809
EffOrt 462
Soma 426
Horang2 386
Soulkey 380
actioN 339
BeSt 335
Mini 318
[ Show more ]
Light 270
Last 267
Zeus 259
Stork 237
910 184
Larva 171
ggaemo 146
Snow 124
Rush 112
ZerO 92
Pusan 83
Killer 81
Mind 67
Shine 53
JYJ 44
Creator 43
Sharp 43
Shinee 36
hero 32
Free 31
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 21
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
Terrorterran 14
Noble 14
sorry 8
Sacsri 8
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8485
Dendi642
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1577
markeloff247
kRYSTAL_29
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1652
crisheroes1063
Other Games
gofns41435
singsing2048
B2W.Neo686
hiko347
XBOCT307
Pyrionflax273
byalli264
DeMusliM254
ArmadaUGS99
Mew2King88
QueenE16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1719
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream136
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH338
• StrangeGG 40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1580
Other Games
• WagamamaTV192
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9m
Rex113
IntoTheiNu 47
The PondCast
21h 9m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.