• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:26
CEST 20:26
KST 03:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8185 users

Brutal NUR (No Upgrades Run)

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-08 20:14:05
August 23 2010 02:05 GMT
#1
I got this idea off the Battle.net forums and decided to try it out.

Basically I will attempt to beat the Wings of Liberty Campaign on Brutal difficulty without getting any upgrades or use any of the Zerg / Protoss technology. I will also attempt to do this on all 29 possible missions. For the choices I will go back in archives and do them.

As proof I will try to get videos up as fast as I can but as my upload speed is slower than a turtle's it will take a lot of time after I beat missions before the videos are up.

Also I will do these at the lowest setting possible so the recording won't lag as much.

Now for some of the things I need to iron out:

Should I go for all bonus objectives as well? This complicate things since if I do not go for the bonus objectives, on some levels I can easily 'cheese' through.

And should I do all missions as they are made to do or though some sort of shortcut (Like the 4 minute Echoes of the Future mission)?

I'll keep this updated.

Completed Missions so far
Order - Mission Name - In Game Completion Time
(Youtube links will be posts when they finish uploading)
Youtube links have been hidden in spoiler tags


1 - Liberation Day - 5:18
+ Show Spoiler +

2 - The Oulaws - 13:01
+ Show Spoiler +

3 - Zero Hour - 20:12
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UBqKTQACw

4 - The Evacuation - 22:26
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64I8Nr7l0Bk

5 - Smash and Grab - 21:30
+ Show Spoiler +

6 - The Devil's Playground - 34:25
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGaR6a1ywgA

7 - Outbreak - 44:00
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyhcSqnD74


8 - The Great Train Robbery - 20:52
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crE0SiwVks

9 - The Dig - 47:37
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgBrornLn4


10 - Haven's Fall - 1:23:09
--Will not be uploaded until much later when I redo the mission to shorten the time--
11 - Welcome to the Jungle - 20:19
+ Show Spoiler +

12 - The Moebius Factor - 22:56
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7R_p4hqNLU

13 - Cutthroat - 38:50
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKNnlodhNA


14 - Ghost of a Chance - 26:48
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8TIKpZ7Lg

15 - Breakout - 27:22
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Hy_J0ACM

16 - Safe Haven - 21:58
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T963LsggAaQ

17 - Supernova - 16:18
+ Show Spoiler +

18 - Engine of Destruction - 32:08
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXUXUvZOfo

19 - Media Blitz - 44:12
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJYQpOBlPEU


20 - Piercing the Shroud - 25:01
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFXkolvvu0Q

21 - Maw of the Void - 44:26
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPix3xTznvg


And on to Char we go (yes I'm not doing the prophecy missions as those do not use upgrades anyways)
22 - Gates of Hell - 1:10:05
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt3-fI-LI4Q




23 - Shatter the Sky - 49:05
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zKMOc6Mk0


24 - Belly of the Beast -31:37
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_JRW4l200


HELP NEEDED!
I need you guys to come up with as many crazy ideas (but it must be somewhat theoretically possible to beat both All In air and nydus!



Discuss.
jackb
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany16 Posts
August 23 2010 02:15 GMT
#2
While you're at it, you should only use units you unlocked by doing prequesites to the specific missions.
See http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Campaign
For example, don't use Banshees in Welcome to the Jungle. Only use them in Supernova and Maw of the Void. =)

That way it's truly a minimalistic playthrough!

Imho you should do all bonus objectives. Taking shortcuts is fine, I guess, as long as you do all objectives.
brocoli
Profile Joined February 2010
Brazil264 Posts
August 23 2010 02:24 GMT
#3
I'd say choose a subtheme to complement "Brutal NUR": speed or minimalist/completionist.

If you go for speed, try to clear the missions as fast as possible, using units from other mission branches (this means you'll have to plan out which units to get first, etc...). Don't do optional objectives if you can avoid it.

If you go for mismalist/completionist, then do as jackb said.


I'd prefer to see the speed-oriented one, since minimalist runs can become boring :S
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
August 23 2010 03:41 GMT
#4
a valid strategy! I honestly don't think it'll be awfully difficult, with one or two minor exceptions, you're pretty much kicking yourself in the balls as far as medic marine goes, as you won't have stim, reactor meds, shields or stabilizers. those make all the difference on brutal. I think I could do without anything else, but don't take my stim oh god.
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
PhiliBiRD
Profile Joined November 2009
United States2643 Posts
August 23 2010 03:46 GMT
#5
i dont know how you'll be able to do this., realistically you only need a few upgrades. and with no technology man i just dunno... good luck
Backpack
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1776 Posts
August 23 2010 03:51 GMT
#6
I don't see All In happening with no upgrades.
"You people need to just generally care a lot less about everything." -Zatic
ReCharge
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Philippines505 Posts
August 23 2010 03:53 GMT
#7
^ +1 Even if you are Fantasy, Nada, Morrow or whoever progamer, I don't think even they can do it without upgrades.
David Kim for Bonjwa!
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 03:59:28
August 23 2010 03:54 GMT
#8
I might do it like jackb said but I'll try for the fastest time given those conditions.

I'm currently at Outbreak / Smash and Grab / Devil's Playground

Am I allowed to use reapers from Devil's Playground in Outbreak?

And we may never know if All In is possible. But I shall attempt it.

On August 23 2010 12:41 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
a valid strategy! I honestly don't think it'll be awfully difficult, with one or two minor exceptions, you're pretty much kicking yourself in the balls as far as medic marine goes, as you won't have stim, reactor meds, shields or stabilizers. those make all the difference on brutal. I think I could do without anything else, but don't take my stim oh god.


Yea no stim, no reactored medics, no shields, no healing +. You have no idea how annoying this is.
Deleted User 62283
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
385 Posts
August 23 2010 04:03 GMT
#9
This will be interesting to see - best of luck!

I will be following this thread.
Demoninja
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1190 Posts
August 23 2010 04:24 GMT
#10
Good luck! I NEED reactor'd medics haha.
Dionyseus
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States2068 Posts
August 23 2010 04:58 GMT
#11
Good luck but I doubt you'll be able to beat All In without upgrades. I'll be watching your progress though as this does seem like an interesting challenge.
9/5/10 P acct: NA D 10,683 651pts 69w56L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/290365/LetoAtreides T acct: NA D 16,137 553pts 70w67L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/1560008/Khrone Z: NA G 16,058 465pts 28w26L http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1997354/Omnius
Node
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States2159 Posts
August 23 2010 05:08 GMT
#12
I'm all for beating the missions however you can -- all that matters is that you didn't take those upgrades. Cheesy strategies, units from way up the mission line, whatever it takes. The criteria is no upgrades, so that's the only thing you ought to stick to.
whole lies with a half smile
monad
Profile Joined March 2010
United States156 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 05:18:44
August 23 2010 05:17 GMT
#13
On August 23 2010 11:05 Zades wrote:
I will also attempt to do this on all 29 possible missions.


Maybe this is Captain Obvious speaking, but feel free to skip the prophecy missions

i think the first big road block will be Welcome to the Jungle.
professorjoak
Profile Joined July 2008
318 Posts
August 23 2010 05:27 GMT
#14
Prediction: OP completes 28 missions without too much difficulty then gets roflstomped trying to do All In.

+ Show Spoiler +
Most missions can be beaten with "mass the new unit," so no upgrades won't be too big of a deal until All In and it suddenly is.
"The different branches of Arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision." --Lewis Carroll
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
August 23 2010 05:32 GMT
#15
Welcome to the Jungle will be hard as fuck for you. GL anyway.
I passed most of my missions with mnm on brutal, I can't imagine some of them without medics and stim :<. I guess you'll be going mech heavy in the later missions since mnm without stim and medic upgrades is pretty useless.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
Mastermind
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada7096 Posts
August 23 2010 05:41 GMT
#16
I could see doing this with just marine/medic/tank upgrades, but without them some levels are going to be rough. The last level should be near impossible without any upgrades or research I would think.
dybydx
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada1764 Posts
August 23 2010 05:43 GMT
#17
i thought of this NUR challenge before as well but after playing brutal, i was like...this is kinda hard... and then i thought how much harder it would be to do it without any upgrades >.< and then i gave up on the idea.
...from the land of imba
monad
Profile Joined March 2010
United States156 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 05:52:01
August 23 2010 05:50 GMT
#18
I can only assume he's going to do nydus for All In. But that means no Planetary Fortress, no stimmed marines, no bunker turrets or capacity upgrades, no psi disrupter, no tech reactor for tanks, no gas upgrade for tanks, no mercs, no thors with stunlock. So yea, I really just don't know. But GL
SnowJob
Profile Joined April 2010
United States21 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 06:08:05
August 23 2010 06:07 GMT
#19
It hurts trying to imagine playing brutal All In without siege tank upgrades, mules, gas boost, +15% attack speed, tech reactors, double SCV repair, building damage control, planetary fortresses, most of the mercs or even any bunker upgrades. You do get to use the artifact as often as possible, though, and that's worth a lot.

And should I do all missions as they are made to do or though some sort of shortcut (Like the 4 minute Echoes of the Future mission)?


You can just about skip the Zeratul line. Upgrades can't go into those missions and you won't be taking anything out of them, so it's the same as normally playing the levels on Brutal. IMO you should be willing to compromise secondary objectives if it gets too hard.
Triscuit
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States722 Posts
August 23 2010 06:15 GMT
#20
Can't wait to watch these videos, actually.
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM869
TKL 384
TaKeTV 314
IndyStarCraft 203
BRAT_OK 126
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 869
TKL 384
IndyStarCraft 203
MaxPax 168
BRAT_OK 126
UpATreeSC 87
MindelVK 22
EmSc Tv 14
JuggernautJason9
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 726
ggaemo 177
firebathero 136
White-Ra 122
910 59
Barracks 58
Hyun 37
Trap 33
Killer 26
Bale 23
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 17
Shine 14
soO 14
yabsab 11
Dota 2
qojqva4774
Counter-Strike
Fnx 765
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6833
crisheroes1700
Liquid`Hasu1526
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi3463
singsing1494
Beastyqt752
ceh9634
B2W.Neo511
ArmadaUGS188
C9.Mang0126
KnowMe79
Trikslyr50
Dewaltoss34
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream464
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 14
EmSc2Tv 14
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 67
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix14
• Azhi_Dahaki1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2413
• TFBlade796
Other Games
• Shiphtur277
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 34m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.