• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:34
CEST 23:34
KST 06:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7587 users

Brutal NUR (No Upgrades Run) - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
Zinbiel
Profile Joined October 2008
Sweden878 Posts
September 20 2010 07:35 GMT
#181
On September 20 2010 14:10 kzn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 18 2010 05:13 Dionyseus wrote:
Mass tanks in All-In works well, but the strategy i've seen and used requires the flame turret. I wonder if there's something that can replace the flame turrets and still stay with the NUR. Here's part 1 of the video of the strat:


The first time I did All-In I just walled everything with barracks and supply depots. The turrets add DPS to your defenses, but you can do hard walls on both chokes without them if you have to.

The problem I encountered when I tried to wall-in was that without the tank less splash upgrade I decimate my own wall in absolutely no time. Was easier to just use single marines to slow down the waves.
Backho fan since 080416. Favourite terran: Mind. Favourite Zerg: Jaedong.
city42
Profile Joined October 2007
1656 Posts
September 20 2010 20:10 GMT
#182
Just wanted to chime in with some thoughts:

I can't say for sure, but I don't think all-in air is possible. At the very least, I'm certain that all-in nydus and all-in air require two completely different strategies to beat. Broodlords with +3 are a pain in the ass and you need a lot of firepower (vikings most likely) to take them down, which means there's no chance to mass tanks AND marines at the same time. You need a reactor rax constantly pumping marines to deal with kerrigan, because she has some sort of immortal-like shield that limits the damage she can take per hit. There is simply not enough money to do all of this. If you go light on the vikings, the broodlords WILL get shots in on the tanks, which is made worse by tanks splashing themselves on the broodlings. The only way it might be possible is pure 3/3 mm + 3/3 vikings, but you would have to macro like god to pull it off, and dodge kerrigan's storms perfectly.

With all that being said, all in nydus isn't terribly difficult once you know what to do. The first 75-80% is pretty easy, but I did have to load saves twice in the final 20% due to losing banshees stupidly and not being able to kill the nydus worms.

+ Show Spoiler +

Two annoying things I discovered after beating it:

1) There is no achievement for beating the campaign with no upgrades/research.

2) Once you beat the campaign, you can't go back to the hyperion, so I can't take screenshots of the lab proving that I didn't use any upgrades. This was my first playthrough, as I just bought the game a week ago, and I had no way of knowing this. All I have to show for it is this screenshot.

[image loading]
Tonyoh
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
France218 Posts
September 20 2010 23:04 GMT
#183
I already did the all in nydus brutal NUR, but I didnt for all in air, so if someone has a save and can provide a link, I will be thankfull for that =)
I cant load my own saves as I had a computer clean.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liquid-Jinro/174837579208018?ref=ts
Tohron
Profile Joined April 2010
United States135 Posts
September 20 2010 23:46 GMT
#184
On September 21 2010 05:10 city42 wrote:
The only way it might be possible is pure 3/3 mm + 3/3 vikings, but you would have to macro like god to pull it off, and dodge kerrigan's storms perfectly.


Since that composition wouldn't have to worry about tanks splashing a wallin, though, might it be possible to have the marines behind a wall, with some marauders mixed in to help against roaches and ultras?

Also, Kerrigan CAN be EMPed, so if you position a Ghost to do that, you won't need to worry about razor swarms (and incidentally, her "hardened carapace" caps incoming damage at 5).
city42
Profile Joined October 2007
1656 Posts
September 21 2010 00:31 GMT
#185
On September 21 2010 08:46 Tohron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 05:10 city42 wrote:
The only way it might be possible is pure 3/3 mm + 3/3 vikings, but you would have to macro like god to pull it off, and dodge kerrigan's storms perfectly.


Since that composition wouldn't have to worry about tanks splashing a wallin, though, might it be possible to have the marines behind a wall, with some marauders mixed in to help against roaches and ultras?

Also, Kerrigan CAN be EMPed, so if you position a Ghost to do that, you won't need to worry about razor swarms (and incidentally, her "hardened carapace" caps incoming damage at 5).

You'd have to wall in front of the artifact ramps, since most of the waves rally to the artifact itself. This means that the left wall would be massive and difficult to maintain. It might be possible, but I'm done with the campaign for now so someone else will have to test it.
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
September 21 2010 01:11 GMT
#186
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.
Dionyseus
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States2068 Posts
September 21 2010 01:32 GMT
#187
On September 21 2010 10:11 Zades wrote:
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.


Would you consider uploading a video of your best attempt thus far? Maybe we could figure out some strategies that could help you out when we see the video.
9/5/10 P acct: NA D 10,683 651pts 69w56L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/290365/LetoAtreides T acct: NA D 16,137 553pts 70w67L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/1560008/Khrone Z: NA G 16,058 465pts 28w26L http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1997354/Omnius
city42
Profile Joined October 2007
1656 Posts
September 21 2010 02:25 GMT
#188
On September 21 2010 10:11 Zades wrote:
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.

If you're stuck, I can make a little write-up of the winning strategy.
Lumin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
September 21 2010 04:04 GMT
#189
On September 21 2010 08:46 Tohron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 05:10 city42 wrote:
The only way it might be possible is pure 3/3 mm + 3/3 vikings, but you would have to macro like god to pull it off, and dodge kerrigan's storms perfectly.


Since that composition wouldn't have to worry about tanks splashing a wallin, though, might it be possible to have the marines behind a wall, with some marauders mixed in to help against roaches and ultras?

Also, Kerrigan CAN be EMPed, so if you position a Ghost to do that, you won't need to worry about razor swarms (and incidentally, her "hardened carapace" caps incoming damage at 5).


Pretty sure EMP doesn't exist in the campaign
Zades
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
September 21 2010 20:30 GMT
#190
On September 21 2010 10:32 Dionyseus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 10:11 Zades wrote:
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.


Would you consider uploading a video of your best attempt thus far? Maybe we could figure out some strategies that could help you out when we see the video.


I didn't record it. I felt that if I record it I'll ran out of disk space before I get anywhere near finishing All In. And I was right on that point. My original plan was to find a viable option and after beating it, do it again with recording.

What I did was barrack wall with marine behind then tanks behind that.

On September 21 2010 11:25 city42 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 10:11 Zades wrote:
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.

If you're stuck, I can make a little write-up of the winning strategy.


That would be very helpful ^^
CynanMachae
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Canada1459 Posts
September 21 2010 20:39 GMT
#191
On September 21 2010 13:04 Lumin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 08:46 Tohron wrote:
On September 21 2010 05:10 city42 wrote:
The only way it might be possible is pure 3/3 mm + 3/3 vikings, but you would have to macro like god to pull it off, and dodge kerrigan's storms perfectly.


Since that composition wouldn't have to worry about tanks splashing a wallin, though, might it be possible to have the marines behind a wall, with some marauders mixed in to help against roaches and ultras?

Also, Kerrigan CAN be EMPed, so if you position a Ghost to do that, you won't need to worry about razor swarms (and incidentally, her "hardened carapace" caps incoming damage at 5).


Pretty sure EMP doesn't exist in the campaign

Yea, I'm very curious how how you managed to EMP with only snipe/cloak/nuke as ghost abilities.
Jang Yoon Chul hwaiting!
city42
Profile Joined October 2007
1656 Posts
September 22 2010 05:48 GMT
#192
On September 22 2010 05:30 Zades wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2010 11:25 city42 wrote:
On September 21 2010 10:11 Zades wrote:
Mass ghosts is the only viable option that I see against All In Air. I got pissed off at nydus, can't get into the 90% range -_- this is lame. I might take a break.

If you're stuck, I can make a little write-up of the winning strategy.


That would be very helpful ^^

Aside from scvs, you only need 3 units to do it:

1) Tanks to melt anything that comes near you
2) Marines to deal with kerrigan
3) Banshees to deal with nydus worms

Walls are too difficult to maintain because of splash, so don't bother. What you want to do is set up a huge group of tanks right below the artifact, near where the merc building is.

When you start out, send all your scvs to mine except 2, and use those 2 to build more factories. Unsiege the tanks you start with, and move them and all the infantry back. Get a tech lab on the first factory and on the other 2 when they finish, and begin to pump tanks nonstop. Make sure to upgrade vehicle attack at the armory, and ignore vehicle armor because you're dead anyway if the zerg units start getting in range to hit tanks. You will inevitably lose a tank here and there (often because nydus worms spawn right on the tank line), but you should be able to build the numbers up to at least 24. Destroy the merc building at the start to make more room, and just fill the entire area with mass tanks.

Now, the tanks will easily handle the normal waves and even nydus waves for a short while, but we need to incorporate the other units. Once you're stabilized at the start, get a reactor on your barracks and keep a max queue of marines going. You need to constantly pump marines to have sufficient numbers to deal with kerrigan each time. When she's halfway to the artifact, use the nova and charge at her with the marines. Don't bother with medics because she 1 hit kills marines nayway. Most important of all, do NOT use these marines to fight the waves. Keep them next to your CC until they're needed.

As for banshees, begin to build them at a casual pace when you have the money. You start out with 3, and the BCs are good at taking out the first few nydus worms, so there's no rush. Work your way up to about 12-14 banshees (overkill for the worms but some will die and you won't have time to build more near the end). Just send them out to kill worms whenever they spawn, using cloak if needed.

It will be smooth sailing for the first 75%, but things become chaotic after kerrigan #4. As soon as you get the alert for #4, send 6 scvs up to the artifact but don't build anything yet (she targets them). After disposing of her, create a makeshift 3 barracks wall on both ramps. When the 6 rax get done, pump marines lik crazy from them. The worms spawn uncontrollably near the end, and the idea is to put as much meat as possible between the zerg and the artifact. Don't build any tanks or banshees, they'll all die anyway. As soon as you get the nova up, use it.

When kerrigan #5 spawns, take all your banshees and scvs and charge her. This will buy a few precious seconds before she goes to work on what's left of your forces. No matter what you do, it's going to be close. The mission is just designed that way...a ridiculous number of worms spawn near the end that would decimate any army in seconds. With that said, it won't be a situation where one second decides the outcome. My artifact had barely been hit when I won, and nothing was targeting it at the time, so it would have held out for a good 20 seconds more. Just don't expect a clean victory with a mountain of tanks still remaining at the end, because that's not feasible with no upgrades/research.

One last EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do the mission this way, you will lose all the depots at the bottom left. You'll need to preemptively build some early on, because getting supply blocked for any decent stretch of time will be the end.

Sorry if this was a bit all over the place, I'm writing it right before going to bed. Hope it helps!
GreatFall
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1061 Posts
September 27 2010 18:02 GMT
#193
I personally think no upgrades vs. Air All-in is impossible. Hell I (sadly) couldn't even do it with upgrades! I redid the campaign and did nydius instead!
Inventor of the 'Burning Tide' technique to quickly getting Outmatched Crusher achivement :D
pat777
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States356 Posts
September 27 2010 21:47 GMT
#194
I dealt with the end by unsieging my tanks immediately after my final use of the artifact (at 93%) and moving them to the cliff where the artifact lies to resiege them. I then had a group of marines to deal with Kerrigan the moment my tanks killed the stuff around her. Not sure how well this works without upgrades but I think it'll hold out. The tanks may splash themselves/artifact when attacking the nyduses without the reduced splash armory upgrade but you still should have enough to deal with the end.
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
September 27 2010 22:30 GMT
#195
shit your almost there! gl man
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
September 27 2010 22:39 GMT
#196
hope he gets it soon. shame that tonyoh had to get his computer cleaned :[
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
JoshRulz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia16 Posts
September 28 2010 05:29 GMT
#197
Wow i finally did the NUR nydus version, with tanks on the low ground, marines waiting on the highground for kerrigan, and 6 banshees to take out nydus worms i was able to do it on my first try (saving and loading after each kerrigan of course lol)

Good luck Zades its hard but not impossible

[image loading]
Starcraft Killa
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada3 Posts
October 09 2010 20:06 GMT
#198
Ok Im also trying to complete the game with no upgrades whatsoever. I did not do a run through of the game before trying this with no upgrades, so Im blindsighted on what comes at me in ever level.
I havent had much of a problem in beating any level as long as you stick to and use the new unit that is offered on that level.

Well now Im on Brutal in All-In and I Cant even get past 50% Artifact charging. Im starting to thing this is impossible, not do-able. Why?

-No stim
-no friendly anti-splash seige tank
-No mind control-tower

Iv tried multiple times and just getting ass whopped.

So is this even possible to beat the way I am doing it? I basically given up at this point unless someone has some proof that it can be done. I kinda wishing I has taken the other path then I would not have to deal with air and gorund defence.

I forgot to mention I took the path were I have to defend agianst air. Thanks.
DrivE
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States2554 Posts
October 09 2010 21:01 GMT
#199
On October 10 2010 05:06 Starcraft Killa wrote:
Ok Im also trying to complete the game with no upgrades whatsoever. I did not do a run through of the game before trying this with no upgrades, so Im blindsighted on what comes at me in ever level.
I havent had much of a problem in beating any level as long as you stick to and use the new unit that is offered on that level.

Well now Im on Brutal in All-In and I Cant even get past 50% Artifact charging. Im starting to thing this is impossible, not do-able. Why?

-No stim
-no friendly anti-splash seige tank
-No mind control-tower

Iv tried multiple times and just getting ass whopped.

So is this even possible to beat the way I am doing it? I basically given up at this point unless someone has some proof that it can be done. I kinda wishing I has taken the other path then I would not have to deal with air and gorund defence.

I forgot to mention I took the path were I have to defend agianst air. Thanks.

Someone has done it before, but he did not specify what method he used. So, it definitely isn't impossible but it is extremely hard.
LUCK IS NO EXCUSE
city42
Profile Joined October 2007
1656 Posts
October 10 2010 00:58 GMT
#200
On October 10 2010 05:06 Starcraft Killa wrote:
Ok Im also trying to complete the game with no upgrades whatsoever. I did not do a run through of the game before trying this with no upgrades, so Im blindsighted on what comes at me in ever level.
I havent had much of a problem in beating any level as long as you stick to and use the new unit that is offered on that level.

Well now Im on Brutal in All-In and I Cant even get past 50% Artifact charging. Im starting to thing this is impossible, not do-able. Why?

-No stim
-no friendly anti-splash seige tank
-No mind control-tower

Iv tried multiple times and just getting ass whopped.

So is this even possible to beat the way I am doing it? I basically given up at this point unless someone has some proof that it can be done. I kinda wishing I has taken the other path then I would not have to deal with air and gorund defence.

I forgot to mention I took the path were I have to defend agianst air. Thanks.

If you want to do nydus instead of air, why not do it? Just load the Gates of Hell victory save and you can choose to take out the mutalisk nests instead of the worms. All-in air is extremely difficult, while all-in nydus is trivial even without upgrades.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 180
Nina 114
SpeCial 51
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 185
firebathero 74
910 38
NaDa 34
Counter-Strike
Fnx 815
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0178
PPMD21
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9566
Liquid`Hasu1713
crisheroes1547
Trikslyr91
Other Games
summit1g6538
Liquid`RaSZi5736
Beastyqt717
shahzam498
ToD234
Pyrionflax216
B2W.Neo210
KnowMe143
ArmadaUGS107
JimRising 95
ZombieGrub77
IndyStarCraft 55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream342
Other Games
BasetradeTV202
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 58
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 31
• Eskiya23 19
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV544
League of Legends
• TFBlade1049
Other Games
• imaqtpie1078
• Shiphtur272
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 26m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.