• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:22
CEST 19:22
KST 02:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8346 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 68

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 119 Next
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
September 30 2009 17:37 GMT
#1341
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.
Moderator
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
September 30 2009 17:41 GMT
#1342
I have a question for you guys about the bench press. I've been having this problem where my elbow will start making a cracking sound and will feel a bit strange on the outside part of the elbow. The more I use the elbow, the more likely it is for this to happen. Is there something I can do, like somehow strengthening the joint, so that this stops happening?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 30 2009 17:42 GMT
#1343
ThatGuy,

Most of the Olympic bars weigh 45 lbs. Hence, two 45 lbs plates are 135# total. Bar always counts as part of the total.

The program adjustment is OK... but it works to a lesser extend than with the power cleans.

Did you do the correct initial ramp up? YOu should've started on a 5 reps where your form is perfect and add weight after that. It should take you about 1-2 weeks to reach your initial 5 RM or so.

Also, EAT!!
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 30 2009 17:45 GMT
#1344
On October 01 2009 02:41 Slithe wrote:
I have a question for you guys about the bench press. I've been having this problem where my elbow will start making a cracking sound and will feel a bit strange on the outside part of the elbow. The more I use the elbow, the more likely it is for this to happen. Is there something I can do, like somehow strengthening the joint, so that this stops happening?


That can honestly be a lot of different things.

If there's no pain, cracking noises are generally fine. BUT since it's feeling weird that may be a problem.

Are you absolutely positive you are doing correct benching technique (tucked elbows, retracted scapulas, etc.)?

Sometimes if you work your biceps or triceps too much you develop imbalances. Imbalances will screw with your joints. Usually this is the case for shoulders more than others (caveman posture, only working beach muscles, etc.), but I have seen it occur with the elbows as well.

Do you do too much triceps work? Or too much biceps work?

May have something similar to lateral epicondylitis as well... can't really tell from that description.

If you're still worried, see an orthopedic doctor. Preferably one that lifts weights so he won't just tell you to "stop lifting weights"
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
September 30 2009 17:55 GMT
#1345
On October 01 2009 02:45 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 02:41 Slithe wrote:
I have a question for you guys about the bench press. I've been having this problem where my elbow will start making a cracking sound and will feel a bit strange on the outside part of the elbow. The more I use the elbow, the more likely it is for this to happen. Is there something I can do, like somehow strengthening the joint, so that this stops happening?


That can honestly be a lot of different things.

If there's no pain, cracking noises are generally fine. BUT since it's feeling weird that may be a problem.

Are you absolutely positive you are doing correct benching technique (tucked elbows, retracted scapulas, etc.)?

Sometimes if you work your biceps or triceps too much you develop imbalances. Imbalances will screw with your joints. Usually this is the case for shoulders more than others (caveman posture, only working beach muscles, etc.), but I have seen it occur with the elbows as well.

Do you do too much triceps work? Or too much biceps work?

May have something similar to lateral epicondylitis as well... can't really tell from that description.

If you're still worried, see an orthopedic doctor. Preferably one that lifts weights so he won't just tell you to "stop lifting weights"


I primarily do the rippetoe workout, except rows instead of cleans because I don't have anyone to teach me the cleans. I'm assuming that there's no bicep/tricep imbalance issue there.

It's probably lateral epicondylitis, since I did play some tennis the day before. If that's the case, then should I just hold off on the bench for a bit and let my elbow recover?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-30 18:07:38
September 30 2009 18:06 GMT
#1346
On October 01 2009 02:55 Slithe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 02:45 eshlow wrote:
On October 01 2009 02:41 Slithe wrote:
I have a question for you guys about the bench press. I've been having this problem where my elbow will start making a cracking sound and will feel a bit strange on the outside part of the elbow. The more I use the elbow, the more likely it is for this to happen. Is there something I can do, like somehow strengthening the joint, so that this stops happening?


That can honestly be a lot of different things.

If there's no pain, cracking noises are generally fine. BUT since it's feeling weird that may be a problem.

Are you absolutely positive you are doing correct benching technique (tucked elbows, retracted scapulas, etc.)?

Sometimes if you work your biceps or triceps too much you develop imbalances. Imbalances will screw with your joints. Usually this is the case for shoulders more than others (caveman posture, only working beach muscles, etc.), but I have seen it occur with the elbows as well.

Do you do too much triceps work? Or too much biceps work?

May have something similar to lateral epicondylitis as well... can't really tell from that description.

If you're still worried, see an orthopedic doctor. Preferably one that lifts weights so he won't just tell you to "stop lifting weights"


I primarily do the rippetoe workout, except rows instead of cleans because I don't have anyone to teach me the cleans. I'm assuming that there's no bicep/tricep imbalance issue there.

It's probably lateral epicondylitis, since I did play some tennis the day before. If that's the case, then should I just hold off on the bench for a bit and let my elbow recover?


Yeah.

A good general rule of thumb is this:

1a. If you're sore, and you warmup and find you can workout fine then go for it.
1b. If you're sore, and its inhibiting workouts then take an extra rest day

2. If your joints or tendons (through tendonitis -- in your case lateral epicondylitis perhaps) are sore, take an extra rest day or two. Usually symptoms of overuse.

3. If your performance is decreasing or plateauing for 3+ sessions, on a novice program like Starting Strength, then you may need to drop the weight 20-30 lbs (on that lift) and reramp back up.

If you are at intermediate+ level of strength, overreaching generally requires a backoff of volume.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
ThatGuy
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada695 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-30 19:42:57
September 30 2009 19:37 GMT
#1347
On October 01 2009 02:42 eshlow wrote:
ThatGuy,

Most of the Olympic bars weigh 45 lbs. Hence, two 45 lbs plates are 135# total. Bar always counts as part of the total.

The program adjustment is OK... but it works to a lesser extend than with the power cleans.

Did you do the correct initial ramp up? YOu should've started on a 5 reps where your form is perfect and add weight after that. It should take you about 1-2 weeks to reach your initial 5 RM or so.

Also, EAT!!


I did actually, those initial totals were after I made the cuts to the weight I performed. I forgot to mention that my first workout 'week' (which I had not counted) started on a Wednesday, and I only did the 2 workouts that week to find my RM.

And okay cool, I'll modify my weight totals next time then .

EDIT: I did my workout today and apparently my deadlift form was pretty bad . A personal trainer nearby gave me tips to fix that though, so hopefully I can get the hang of them next time.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 01 2009 01:41 GMT
#1348
Ok, sorry for the huge delay, but I have pictures. Feel free to laugh at my pirate beard
[image loading]

[image loading]

Taken this morning, Oct 21. For completeness, my current body measurements are:
Chest - 96cm (goal 102cm)
Stomach - 70cm (goal 68cm)
Biceps - 28cm (goal 35cm)
Fear my impressive amount of body hair
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
October 01 2009 01:51 GMT
#1349
On October 01 2009 02:37 Chill wrote:
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.


I kind of agree with this. I just bought my first weights yesterday (2kg hot pink ones. The 1kg felt a bit too light for me so I went one size up to something that doesn't feel like too much, but does give me a sense of working out something in my arms.) for a beginner's work out I've found on a site run by a female fitness trainer. She's totally toned and even though she has a bit more muscle than I'm looking for on her thighs she looks so healthy and seems so into the life style in a positive way that it's pretty inspiring to try and do some light work outs myself.

I'm not worried about ending up looking like Arnie because I'm aware that unless I went crazy overboard and/or began taking steroids/changing my diet drastically it's not possible to bulk up to some extreme level. I just want to feel less flabby lol.

Because it's my first time doing weights should I add extra support to my wrists? I need them to be injury-free for photography so I was thinking it would be best to protect them. Also one other question - does anyone know where I can find accurate information on portion sizes for women dieters? I'm still feeling as though I'm eating too much even though I'm slowly introducing the 5-6 small meals idea into my daily routine.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 01 2009 02:54 GMT
#1350
On October 01 2009 10:51 NeverGG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 02:37 Chill wrote:
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.


I kind of agree with this. I just bought my first weights yesterday (2kg hot pink ones. The 1kg felt a bit too light for me so I went one size up to something that doesn't feel like too much, but does give me a sense of working out something in my arms.) for a beginner's work out I've found on a site run by a female fitness trainer. She's totally toned and even though she has a bit more muscle than I'm looking for on her thighs she looks so healthy and seems so into the life style in a positive way that it's pretty inspiring to try and do some light work outs myself.

I'm not worried about ending up looking like Arnie because I'm aware that unless I went crazy overboard and/or began taking steroids/changing my diet drastically it's not possible to bulk up to some extreme level. I just want to feel less flabby lol.

Because it's my first time doing weights should I add extra support to my wrists? I need them to be injury-free for photography so I was thinking it would be best to protect them. Also one other question - does anyone know where I can find accurate information on portion sizes for women dieters? I'm still feeling as though I'm eating too much even though I'm slowly introducing the 5-6 small meals idea into my daily routine.


By lifting weights we mean lifting as heavy weights as you are capable doing the major lifts... deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench, military press, dips, etc.

2kg DBs are like.. nothing.

Weight training, done correctly, will improve your bone density and strength... which should make your photography much easier.


Portion control depends on your OWN basal metabolic rate and activity level. If you record everything you eat for 7 days and plug it into fitday.com it will tell you how many cals you ate. If you can determine how many cals you've eaten and haven't lost any weight, divide by 7 to get your daily caloric expenditure. You can then base your portions along these lines to hit that number (increase for weight gain, decrease for weight loss).
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
October 01 2009 04:13 GMT
#1351
On October 01 2009 11:54 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 10:51 NeverGG wrote:
On October 01 2009 02:37 Chill wrote:
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.


I kind of agree with this. I just bought my first weights yesterday (2kg hot pink ones. The 1kg felt a bit too light for me so I went one size up to something that doesn't feel like too much, but does give me a sense of working out something in my arms.) for a beginner's work out I've found on a site run by a female fitness trainer. She's totally toned and even though she has a bit more muscle than I'm looking for on her thighs she looks so healthy and seems so into the life style in a positive way that it's pretty inspiring to try and do some light work outs myself.

I'm not worried about ending up looking like Arnie because I'm aware that unless I went crazy overboard and/or began taking steroids/changing my diet drastically it's not possible to bulk up to some extreme level. I just want to feel less flabby lol.

Because it's my first time doing weights should I add extra support to my wrists? I need them to be injury-free for photography so I was thinking it would be best to protect them. Also one other question - does anyone know where I can find accurate information on portion sizes for women dieters? I'm still feeling as though I'm eating too much even though I'm slowly introducing the 5-6 small meals idea into my daily routine.


By lifting weights we mean lifting as heavy weights as you are capable doing the major lifts... deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench, military press, dips, etc.

2kg DBs are like.. nothing.

Weight training, done correctly, will improve your bone density and strength... which should make your photography much easier.


Portion control depends on your OWN basal metabolic rate and activity level. If you record everything you eat for 7 days and plug it into fitday.com it will tell you how many cals you ate. If you can determine how many cals you've eaten and haven't lost any weight, divide by 7 to get your daily caloric expenditure. You can then base your portions along these lines to hit that number (increase for weight gain, decrease for weight loss).


I was talking specifically about the girls part of Chill's reply. As in girls like myself who've never lifted anything in terms of weights. I chose to start almost as low as possible because of a few different factors;

1) Inexperience and lack of former training.
2) I've got no space for anything bigger.
3) I can't risk straining my wrists because of my photography.
4) I won't go to the gym because I don't like that kind of environment.

I also have issues with lack of strength in my knees - which is important due to the amount of squatting and kneeling down you have to do at finals. I always feel like crap after I get up.

So, yeah - for now it's only a small weight, but maybe I can progress to something bigger in the future. I'm not rushing this though. Thanks for the link - I'm going to start writing down my meals over the holiday (starts tommorrow.) ^_^
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 01 2009 12:37 GMT
#1352
On October 01 2009 10:41 jfazz wrote:
Ok, sorry for the huge delay, but I have pictures. Feel free to laugh at my pirate beard
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

Taken this morning, Oct 21. For completeness, my current body measurements are:
Chest - 96cm (goal 102cm)
Stomach - 70cm (goal 68cm)
Biceps - 28cm (goal 35cm)
Fear my impressive amount of body hair


That is some sexy man hair.

Coming along nicely dude. I would put you in the ~8-10% body fat range though. Maybe even higher.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
durza
Profile Joined August 2009
United States667 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-04 02:33:59
October 04 2009 02:33 GMT
#1353
Hey I wanted to ask some peoples opinions on the site. I like to run a lot but recently when I've run hard I have experienced some chest pain. Not enough to really make me stop running but enough where I clearly have noticed. The pain goes away when I stop running. I really never thought about it but today while at my grandparents I over heard my grandfather mentioning how chest pain can be a sign of heart problems. I did mention the pain to my family.
I'm very out of shape which is why I'm running, but I'm only 16 years old. What are the odds this is some form of a heart problem, or the odds that I'm just being really paranoid.
The Storyteller
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
Singapore2486 Posts
October 04 2009 03:50 GMT
#1354
On October 01 2009 02:45 eshlow wrote:
If you're still worried, see an orthopedic doctor. Preferably one that lifts weights so he won't just tell you to "stop lifting weights"


If you can find one, a doctor who specialises in sports medicine, or a sports medicine clinic/centre, will be helpful. I went to see one about back pain after doing deadlifts, and I didn't have to explain how the deadlift was supposed to work or anything to him. He asked sensible questions like, "do you have a spotter, are you sure you are doing it 100% correctly" etc. And rather than telling me not to do deadlifts, he told me not to do them until we got the problem (short hamstrings) sorted out and thereafter to make sure I kept my back straight. In the meantime, he recommended squats as a substitute. Not perfect, but not much choice there, and I was happy that he recommended a substitute rather than just telling me to lay off weights. There was even a physiotherapy centre there that helped out.
doktorLucifer
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States855 Posts
October 04 2009 03:59 GMT
#1355
On October 01 2009 13:13 NeverGG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 11:54 eshlow wrote:
On October 01 2009 10:51 NeverGG wrote:
On October 01 2009 02:37 Chill wrote:
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.


I kind of agree with this. I just bought my first weights yesterday (2kg hot pink ones. The 1kg felt a bit too light for me so I went one size up to something that doesn't feel like too much, but does give me a sense of working out something in my arms.) for a beginner's work out I've found on a site run by a female fitness trainer. She's totally toned and even though she has a bit more muscle than I'm looking for on her thighs she looks so healthy and seems so into the life style in a positive way that it's pretty inspiring to try and do some light work outs myself.

I'm not worried about ending up looking like Arnie because I'm aware that unless I went crazy overboard and/or began taking steroids/changing my diet drastically it's not possible to bulk up to some extreme level. I just want to feel less flabby lol.

Because it's my first time doing weights should I add extra support to my wrists? I need them to be injury-free for photography so I was thinking it would be best to protect them. Also one other question - does anyone know where I can find accurate information on portion sizes for women dieters? I'm still feeling as though I'm eating too much even though I'm slowly introducing the 5-6 small meals idea into my daily routine.


By lifting weights we mean lifting as heavy weights as you are capable doing the major lifts... deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench, military press, dips, etc.

2kg DBs are like.. nothing.

Weight training, done correctly, will improve your bone density and strength... which should make your photography much easier.


Portion control depends on your OWN basal metabolic rate and activity level. If you record everything you eat for 7 days and plug it into fitday.com it will tell you how many cals you ate. If you can determine how many cals you've eaten and haven't lost any weight, divide by 7 to get your daily caloric expenditure. You can then base your portions along these lines to hit that number (increase for weight gain, decrease for weight loss).


I was talking specifically about the girls part of Chill's reply. As in girls like myself who've never lifted anything in terms of weights. I chose to start almost as low as possible because of a few different factors;

1) Inexperience and lack of former training.
2) I've got no space for anything bigger.
3) I can't risk straining my wrists because of my photography.
4) I won't go to the gym because I don't like that kind of environment.

I also have issues with lack of strength in my knees - which is important due to the amount of squatting and kneeling down you have to do at finals. I always feel like crap after I get up.

So, yeah - for now it's only a small weight, but maybe I can progress to something bigger in the future. I'm not rushing this though. Thanks for the link - I'm going to start writing down my meals over the holiday (starts tommorrow.) ^_^


You can follow a beginner program like SL5x5 (stronglifts.com). IIRC, the first day, you spend time finding out your starting lifts, so the program should end up suiting your level of strength. It's also difficult to do a program using barbells without a home gym or gym membership. ~.~

Why do you not like that kind of environment, if I may ask?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-04 04:40:35
October 04 2009 04:38 GMT
#1356
On October 04 2009 12:59 Thesecretaznman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2009 13:13 NeverGG wrote:
On October 01 2009 11:54 eshlow wrote:
On October 01 2009 10:51 NeverGG wrote:
On October 01 2009 02:37 Chill wrote:
Girls' "I don't want to gain a lot of muscle" argument is so ridiculous. Girls think if they lift a weight once their arms are going to explode. If it was that easy why aren't most men ripped? Plus girls with slightly muscular arms and legs, especially triceps are really sexy. That's the argument I've used before.


I kind of agree with this. I just bought my first weights yesterday (2kg hot pink ones. The 1kg felt a bit too light for me so I went one size up to something that doesn't feel like too much, but does give me a sense of working out something in my arms.) for a beginner's work out I've found on a site run by a female fitness trainer. She's totally toned and even though she has a bit more muscle than I'm looking for on her thighs she looks so healthy and seems so into the life style in a positive way that it's pretty inspiring to try and do some light work outs myself.

I'm not worried about ending up looking like Arnie because I'm aware that unless I went crazy overboard and/or began taking steroids/changing my diet drastically it's not possible to bulk up to some extreme level. I just want to feel less flabby lol.

Because it's my first time doing weights should I add extra support to my wrists? I need them to be injury-free for photography so I was thinking it would be best to protect them. Also one other question - does anyone know where I can find accurate information on portion sizes for women dieters? I'm still feeling as though I'm eating too much even though I'm slowly introducing the 5-6 small meals idea into my daily routine.


By lifting weights we mean lifting as heavy weights as you are capable doing the major lifts... deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench, military press, dips, etc.

2kg DBs are like.. nothing.

Weight training, done correctly, will improve your bone density and strength... which should make your photography much easier.


Portion control depends on your OWN basal metabolic rate and activity level. If you record everything you eat for 7 days and plug it into fitday.com it will tell you how many cals you ate. If you can determine how many cals you've eaten and haven't lost any weight, divide by 7 to get your daily caloric expenditure. You can then base your portions along these lines to hit that number (increase for weight gain, decrease for weight loss).


I was talking specifically about the girls part of Chill's reply. As in girls like myself who've never lifted anything in terms of weights. I chose to start almost as low as possible because of a few different factors;

1) Inexperience and lack of former training.
2) I've got no space for anything bigger.
3) I can't risk straining my wrists because of my photography.
4) I won't go to the gym because I don't like that kind of environment.

I also have issues with lack of strength in my knees - which is important due to the amount of squatting and kneeling down you have to do at finals. I always feel like crap after I get up.

So, yeah - for now it's only a small weight, but maybe I can progress to something bigger in the future. I'm not rushing this though. Thanks for the link - I'm going to start writing down my meals over the holiday (starts tommorrow.) ^_^


You can follow a beginner program like SL5x5 (stronglifts.com). IIRC, the first day, you spend time finding out your starting lifts, so the program should end up suiting your level of strength. It's also difficult to do a program using barbells without a home gym or gym membership. ~.~

Why do you not like that kind of environment, if I may ask?



I would actually recommend bodyweight exercises. Just go to a playground and workout haha. Thats what I did over last winter break.

my workout
jog warm up, stretch
lunges
pistols
jump squats
back extension
push ups
pull ups
dips
rows
shoulder pushups
leg raises, situps, ex
burpees to top it off

It was a very exhausting workout lol but it was really fun to workout in a park hahaha


but you should start with something like
push ups
pistols or squats
pulls ups or rows
situps

or something like that
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-04 04:50:08
October 04 2009 04:46 GMT
#1357
Does anybody know any good sites where I can find good plyometric workouts?

Thus an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time. The plyometrically trained athlete may have a lower maximal force output, and thus may not squat as much, but his training allows him to shorten the amount of time required to reach his maximum force output, leading to more power from each contraction.


I have this problem. I've only done weight training but I'm a sprinter (swimming) and I think that plyometrics would be good for me. Also, I want to train my vertical so I'll one day be able to dunk.

My shin splints haven't gone away but x-country ends in like 2 weeks and swim season starts after that so I'm fine for cardio I think. My abs are visible again but I don't have enough definition to have a 6-pack yet. My % body fat is still really high... Probably around 15-18% (my goal is 7%).

EDIT: jfazz is probably high than 8-10% body fat. Last year (when I looked like that) I was at like 22% body fat but it may have been the machine I was using. I heard those electric body fat machines aren't very accurate.

How old are you slithe? If you're still growing it's normal for your joints to crack a lot and have "growing pains".
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 04 2009 05:33 GMT
#1358
Yeah, im probably around 10-12% I guess, after speaking with some friends. I should probably invest in some calipers. Pretty sure im not as high as 22% though, just because if I lift my arms up over my head, my ribs are very visible. Still, progress is progress.

Ive managed to eat really well this week, I feel a lot more solid. Ive been managing to take in a lot more protein as well, so hopefully this week's gym sessions show some improvement!

Update on progress tomorrow. Keep up the good work everyone!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-04 16:25:34
October 04 2009 16:25 GMT
#1359
On October 04 2009 11:33 durza wrote:
Hey I wanted to ask some peoples opinions on the site. I like to run a lot but recently when I've run hard I have experienced some chest pain. Not enough to really make me stop running but enough where I clearly have noticed. The pain goes away when I stop running. I really never thought about it but today while at my grandparents I over heard my grandfather mentioning how chest pain can be a sign of heart problems. I did mention the pain to my family.
I'm very out of shape which is why I'm running, but I'm only 16 years old. What are the odds this is some form of a heart problem, or the odds that I'm just being really paranoid.


Take it slow.

If it persists, I would definitely get it checked out. You're probably a bit young for heart problems but really anything is possible if your diet isn't particularly good and problems run in your family.

On October 04 2009 13:46 madnessman wrote:
Does anybody know any good sites where I can find good plyometric workouts?

Show nested quote +
Thus an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time. The plyometrically trained athlete may have a lower maximal force output, and thus may not squat as much, but his training allows him to shorten the amount of time required to reach his maximum force output, leading to more power from each contraction.


I have this problem. I've only done weight training but I'm a sprinter (swimming) and I think that plyometrics would be good for me. Also, I want to train my vertical so I'll one day be able to dunk.

My shin splints haven't gone away but x-country ends in like 2 weeks and swim season starts after that so I'm fine for cardio I think. My abs are visible again but I don't have enough definition to have a 6-pack yet. My % body fat is still really high... Probably around 15-18% (my goal is 7%).

EDIT: jfazz is probably high than 8-10% body fat. Last year (when I looked like that) I was at like 22% body fat but it may have been the machine I was using. I heard those electric body fat machines aren't very accurate.

How old are you slithe? If you're still growing it's normal for your joints to crack a lot and have "growing pains".


You're a sprinter for swimming... why are you doing CC?

I don't think plyo is going to help you improve your swimming much, and while it may help you improve your CC it's not going to be that great with your shin splints. You should be lifting heavy in the weight room for improvements.

Best way to improve for most athletes is to focus on a lot of strength/power work, in addition to your sports specific training. For example, read this article on sprinting(track):
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

As for plyo, I'll give you a site with articles (Kelly Baggett's one of the best in the business):
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html

There's a bunch on plyo and increasing vertical. But like I said, you're going to have to train strength. Plyo just gets the most out of your existing musculature and strength. If you don't have that much then you're not going to improve much, plus you will be more vulnerable to injuries.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 04 2009 17:13 GMT
#1360
On October 05 2009 01:25 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2009 11:33 durza wrote:
Hey I wanted to ask some peoples opinions on the site. I like to run a lot but recently when I've run hard I have experienced some chest pain. Not enough to really make me stop running but enough where I clearly have noticed. The pain goes away when I stop running. I really never thought about it but today while at my grandparents I over heard my grandfather mentioning how chest pain can be a sign of heart problems. I did mention the pain to my family.
I'm very out of shape which is why I'm running, but I'm only 16 years old. What are the odds this is some form of a heart problem, or the odds that I'm just being really paranoid.


Take it slow.

If it persists, I would definitely get it checked out. You're probably a bit young for heart problems but really anything is possible if your diet isn't particularly good and problems run in your family.

Show nested quote +
On October 04 2009 13:46 madnessman wrote:
Does anybody know any good sites where I can find good plyometric workouts?

Thus an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time. The plyometrically trained athlete may have a lower maximal force output, and thus may not squat as much, but his training allows him to shorten the amount of time required to reach his maximum force output, leading to more power from each contraction.


I have this problem. I've only done weight training but I'm a sprinter (swimming) and I think that plyometrics would be good for me. Also, I want to train my vertical so I'll one day be able to dunk.

My shin splints haven't gone away but x-country ends in like 2 weeks and swim season starts after that so I'm fine for cardio I think. My abs are visible again but I don't have enough definition to have a 6-pack yet. My % body fat is still really high... Probably around 15-18% (my goal is 7%).

EDIT: jfazz is probably high than 8-10% body fat. Last year (when I looked like that) I was at like 22% body fat but it may have been the machine I was using. I heard those electric body fat machines aren't very accurate.

How old are you slithe? If you're still growing it's normal for your joints to crack a lot and have "growing pains".


You're a sprinter for swimming... why are you doing CC?

I don't think plyo is going to help you improve your swimming much, and while it may help you improve your CC it's not going to be that great with your shin splints. You should be lifting heavy in the weight room for improvements.

Best way to improve for most athletes is to focus on a lot of strength/power work, in addition to your sports specific training. For example, read this article on sprinting(track):
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

As for plyo, I'll give you a site with articles (Kelly Baggett's one of the best in the business):
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html

There's a bunch on plyo and increasing vertical. But like I said, you're going to have to train strength. Plyo just gets the most out of your existing musculature and strength. If you don't have that much then you're not going to improve much, plus you will be more vulnerable to injuries.


I'm doing x-country because I suck at running and I'm enlisting in the army in less then a year. I've been doing lifting all summer and my muscular strength is probably the highest it's been in my life but I haven't done that much cardio or fat burning stuff. I want to do plyo (i always thought it was pylo until like last year) to increase my power instead of just my force.

Prev 1 66 67 68 69 70 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM660
TKL 256
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 660
ByuN 306
TKL 256
mouzHeroMarine 115
UpATreeSC 77
BRAT_OK 34
MindelVK 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25569
Calm 3301
Shuttle 1141
Horang2 527
Soulkey 196
Rush 132
Dewaltoss 121
Zeus 64
Free 37
Hyun 34
[ Show more ]
sorry 30
Trap 25
Killer 19
ToSsGirL 19
PianO 17
Bale 16
JYJ 16
Rock 15
Aegong 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Hm[arnc] 11
Sacsri 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7086
Dendi1248
League of Legends
KnowMe50
Counter-Strike
fl0m4803
x6flipin836
Fnx 608
pashabiceps422
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Other Games
singsing1924
Liquid`RaSZi1476
Beastyqt591
ceh9501
Khaldor308
C9.Mang0244
dupreeh199
crisheroes183
420jenkins179
IndyStarCraft 143
QueenE96
Trikslyr89
JuggernautJason10
Grubby0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH284
• Hinosc 15
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3324
• WagamamaTV508
League of Legends
• Nemesis2900
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• Shiphtur839
• imaqtpie325
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 38m
INu's Battles
17h 38m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 38m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.