• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:48
CEST 22:48
KST 05:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8825 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 52

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 119 Next
GunsofthePatriots
Profile Joined August 2007
South Africa991 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-08 00:49:07
August 08 2009 00:48 GMT
#1021
Does anyone here play sports?

EDIT: Competitively?
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
August 08 2009 02:15 GMT
#1022
On August 08 2009 08:40 Julmust wrote:
Julmust
Age: 23 Height: 6''3' (I guess)/195cm
Current weight: 308lb/140kg
Goal weight: 220lb/100kg
Starting date: 10/08/2009
Goal date: 10/08/2010

I'm fat and I want to do something about it, that's basically my motivation. I'm sick of constantly hitting things cause I'm bigger then I feel (if that makes any sence).

Since my body is my biggest obsticle here (aka. knees and feet and such) I'm going to start off slow with taking a 1-1½ hour walk every night and taking the bike to work instead of driving, atleast the shifts where I don't start at 8am.

I can't hold a diet for my life, I mean usually sure I eat a burger now and then but when I know I can't have fastfood? My god that's when I want pizza and shit like that. So no limitations on that, but I'm gonna try to keep it down.

Giving myself 12 months, that's 3kg or 7lb a month. I should be able to do that by just getting out an hour a day. If I finish earlier fine, but 12 months is the timeframe here

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Hey mate, it's great that you're trying to make a change.

I basically started the same, I made lots and lots of very small changes over a long period of time and eventually my lifestyle turned completely healthy, and you know, a lot of people say this but it's true, once you get there you don't crave sugar and junk food anymore.

I made this post a while back, but it's an overview of how I initially started, I hope it can help.

+ Show Spoiler +
If you have no experience and not quite sure what to do, what I would initially recommend is walking. Perhaps for the first week go for a walk after work, get home, get changed into some comfortable clothes and go for an hour long walk while listening to music or an audio book, do it at a brisk pace, perhaps adding short bursts 1-2 minutes of power walking in the routine. This will help your heart and lungs initially, specially when it comes to constant changes in intensity. The following week you will want to increase your intensity. If you have access to a bike, start biking for 30-40 minutes a day, try and be pedalling the entire duration, even if you are rolling down hill, shift up the gears and start pushing.

If you don't have access to a bike change your brisk walk to a power walk and change your short bursts of power walking into short bursts of jogging.

If you're already somewhat fit, I would just up the intensity of those exercises. Jog with short bursts of running 20-60 seconds every few minutes, whatever you are comfortable with. If you're cycling go for short sprints, 20-60 seconds at 80-90% intensity. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you go for a minimum of 20 minutes before stopping and lowering your heart rate to its resting pace.

That's basically how my initial cardio routine started, although I was grossly overweight so some of the above might already be too easy for you. But it helped me go from getting tired and worked up after a 60 min walk to consistently jogging/running 3-6 miles everyday and I can pretty much pedal up a vertical hill in the highest gear on my bike now, whilst when I started I would switch to negative resistance on a flat surface.

As for weight training , it is very very important in your fitness goals, it boosts your metabolism, it helps burn more fat and it will make you look a lot more defined. Although you don't have to go to the gym straight away and load up 300lb on the bench press. If you're a total beginner I can suggest a couple of things. The best thing you could do is get a personal trainer and be absolutely honest with them about your ability and goals. You'd really only need 5-10 sessions with one along side doing your own research until you'll know enough to be able to work out on your own.

The other thing you can do, which is the way I started is start with bodyweight exercises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyweight_exercise

I started with things like push-ups and dips, leading into pull/chin-ups. It was really all a great starting point before I hit the weights at the gym or started doing free weights at home. I also believe it gauges your ability. When I first started I would have been way too embarrassed hitting the gym when I couldn't even do 3 push-ups, god forbid having to do a pull-up. Its different if you have a personal trainer though because they understand these things.

Regarding your diet, I honestly believe it is very difficult for someone to give you personalised advice. Because what works for one person may not work for another. Its the reason why there are a million different diets available. The best thing you can do is your own research. I spent the entire duration of my fitness journey researching nutrition, even to this day I will read up on everything.

What I will suggest with your diet is to not make drastic immediate changes, I would even go as far as saying keep eating what you are eating now, but in smaller portions.

Use a weight loss calculator online. Here is one I quickly googled. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Find out how many calories you should be consuming to lose weight and then workout how much you are currently consuming and adjust accordingly. In regards to changing your diet, start with 1-2 things at a time, if you're consuming a lot of soft drinks, slowly start reducing your consumption. Go from 2 soft drinks a day to 1, then to 0. If you like your junk food and are for example eating out 4-5 times a week, cutting it down to 2-3 and eventually 0-1.

If you don't get enough fruit and vegetables in your diet, start by adding a piece of fruit to your breakfast, or a serving or vegetables to your lunch/dinner.

Do you see the pattern? Eventually you will get to a point where you will learn enough about nutrition and have made enough small changes for all these things to make sense to you. At that point you can start worrying about how much protein you are consuming, how many grams of healthy fat you have consumed as opposed to saturated/trans fats. Carb intake etc, but I promise you when you get to that point, your natural consumption will already be healthy and balanced enough for none of that to matter.

Finally I know I have said this time and time again and it probably sounds corny by now. Motivation is king, you will need to stay motivated, you will need to enjoy what you are doing, if jogging/biking seems like a chore, mix it up, do something you enjoy. Join a sports team or go swimming, go rock climbing etc.. Just stay active and motivated and always set a reachable goal, if your final goal is to gain 50lb of lean muscle, make your starting goal 5lb of muscle within a 1-2 months. If you can see your goal, if you can reach for it, it will become achievable.

And the other thing, education will open your eyes. I realised how terrible my diet over the years had been, based heavily on a lack of eduction regarding the types of foods I was consuming, I didn't realise that a bottle of orange juice and a bottle of coke were equally bad. I would think that just because my hamburger had salad in it, it was actually healthy, that was seriously my mindset on food.

I didn't know anything about good fats and bad fats. Good carbs and bad carbs. Today I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a can of soda or white bread. I don't even like the taste of tea or coffee these days if it has sugar in it, while if you saw me a couple of years ago you wouldn't believe that I would be having 3-4 spoon fulls of sugar in my tea or be feeling thirsty and having a can of cola when a glass of water would have done.

On an ending note:
I apologise if my advice sounds patronising, but reading through some of the posts above, I know they would have all scared me( As it all sounds really difficult) or confused me if I had read them a couple of years ago.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
August 08 2009 02:17 GMT
#1023
Noo I was just going to link that post! P
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
August 08 2009 02:21 GMT
#1024
On August 08 2009 11:17 thedeadhaji wrote:
Noo I was just going to link that post! P


Somehow I don't think the link would have worked there buddy
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
August 11 2009 15:16 GMT
#1025
Update: Figure I'd post this, I will eventually post some pictures shirtless when I am completely happy with the results (Probably Summer), this one is merely to show progress.

[image loading]

Stay motivated everyone, you will get the results.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 11 2009 15:38 GMT
#1026
On August 08 2009 09:48 GunsofthePatriots wrote:
Does anyone here play sports?

EDIT: Competitively?


I play rugby at michigan state, it's not a varsity team though Can't wait though, first game in less then a month and a tourney coming up this weekend

Did upper body for the first time in like 2 weeks and went running and played soccer for the first time in 2 years so i'm pretty sore today, but on the bright side my 6 pack is coming in
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Ichigo1234551
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States649 Posts
August 12 2009 01:49 GMT
#1027
Hey guys... just wanna update lol
Wow i just realised I havnt gained anything LOL
here is an update
Age: 18. Height: 6'2"
Current Weight: 160lb
Goal Weight - 180lb
Starting Date: 1/2
Goal Date: 3/1



08/10/09:
164 lbs
body fat % 23.5
I WILL DESTROY YOU IN 2009 OK???????????????
Duke
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States1106 Posts
August 13 2009 14:25 GMT
#1028
weight one year ago: 205+/- lbs
weight today: 152 lbs WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
August 13 2009 14:56 GMT
#1029
On August 13 2009 23:25 Duke wrote:
weight one year ago: 205+/- lbs
weight today: 152 lbs WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


wow gj!! do you have pics to show the progress?
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-13 15:12:04
August 13 2009 15:11 GMT
#1030
On August 08 2009 09:48 GunsofthePatriots wrote:
Does anyone here play sports?

EDIT: Competitively?


I did play soccer and tennis, but not anymore. Um, I'm into triathlon now and I try to be competitive
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-14 05:24:18
August 14 2009 05:22 GMT
#1031
I pulled my levator scapulae and I have been out of commission for 3 days. It's been a bummer.
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
August 14 2009 05:26 GMT
#1032
Energies, I just had to save that picture. Thank you.

My journey is still quite slow, but I am working hard!
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
The Storyteller
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
Singapore2486 Posts
August 14 2009 08:11 GMT
#1033
Going to post here to get myself through my afternoon snack.

Started end of May, been about two and a half months.

Height: 1.77m (5'9" )
Starting weight: 53kg (116lbs)
Weight this morning: 63.8kg (140lbs)

Determinedly chewing my way through disgusting tuna chunks now. Might post pics beginning of next month.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2009 08:35 GMT
#1034
On August 14 2009 17:11 The Storyteller wrote:
Going to post here to get myself through my afternoon snack.

Started end of May, been about two and a half months.

Height: 1.77m (5'9" )
Starting weight: 53kg (116lbs)
Weight this morning: 63.8kg (140lbs)

Determinedly chewing my way through disgusting tuna chunks now. Might post pics beginning of next month.


tuna sooo good. mix it with caesar dressing + mayo + salad supreme = awesomeness. in fact you've reminded me i have some in the fridge to go eat.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 14 2009 09:06 GMT
#1035
On August 14 2009 14:22 travis wrote:
I pulled my levator scapulae and I have been out of commission for 3 days. It's been a bummer.


Ouch.. how'd you do that?
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
August 14 2009 09:28 GMT
#1036
On August 14 2009 17:35 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2009 17:11 The Storyteller wrote:
Going to post here to get myself through my afternoon snack.

Started end of May, been about two and a half months.

Height: 1.77m (5'9" )
Starting weight: 53kg (116lbs)
Weight this morning: 63.8kg (140lbs)

Determinedly chewing my way through disgusting tuna chunks now. Might post pics beginning of next month.


tuna sooo good. mix it with caesar dressing + mayo + salad supreme = awesomeness. in fact you've reminded me i have some in the fridge to go eat.


I can't eat the stuff man. I have switched to Salmon. A little bit oilier but it's a small price to pay so it doesn't feel like I'm eating rancid cardboard.

--

Thanks Claz!
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
August 14 2009 09:36 GMT
#1037
On August 14 2009 18:06 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2009 14:22 travis wrote:
I pulled my levator scapulae and I have been out of commission for 3 days. It's been a bummer.


Ouch.. how'd you do that?


I am really not sure. I was tightening a hold on my climbing wall and suddenly I felt a pain in my neck, and there was a lot of pain if I moved my head around. It was pretty weird, nothing much out of the ordinary happened that could have caused it.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
August 14 2009 09:49 GMT
#1038
I did that about 2 months ago, I was rolling around the office in my chair, I used the edges of a doorway as leverage to pull and push myself forward, I pulled a bit too hard, jerked my neck forward and bam..

Went to the physio, they started pinching nerves in the area making me cry.. took about 2 weeks before I could fully rotate my neck again without pain.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
LML
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Germany1794 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-14 10:31:52
August 14 2009 10:31 GMT
#1039
LML
Age: 19
Height: 187cm / 6.14 feet (6"14' ?)
Current weight: ~62kg / ~137lbs
Goal weight: 70kg /
Starting date: early/mid june I believe (2009)
Goal date: mid january 2010

started with doing practice mainly for my upper body, as arms/chest with push-ups/weight lifting, with one arm each rep, all 3days. Switched to doing it sun/tue/thu and doing abs/legs mon/wed/fri and might start running again on this sat.
I am eating healthy, but eating more won't help too much as my metabolism is just like eat, and shit the same size the next day.. I don't get fat, but I also cannot build up any weight, which is bad.
Past month we practice for a triathlon at school.. doing a bit of swimming/running there, but stopped after that.
LML
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
August 14 2009 11:45 GMT
#1040
On August 14 2009 17:11 The Storyteller wrote:
Going to post here to get myself through my afternoon snack.

Started end of May, been about two and a half months.

Height: 1.77m (5'9" )
Starting weight: 53kg (116lbs)
Weight this morning: 63.8kg (140lbs)

Determinedly chewing my way through disgusting tuna chunks now. Might post pics beginning of next month.

you obviously haven't tried solomon taiyo
best tuna i've eaten by far (haven't eaten that many tho lol)
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O29
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason119
Railgan 60
SpeCial 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16246
Dewaltoss 144
Hyuk 113
firebathero 99
ZZZero.O 29
Terrorterran 20
Mini 19
Dota 2
febbydoto28
League of Legends
Doublelift3024
Counter-Strike
Fnx 905
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
crisheroes894
Other Games
summit1g5708
FrodaN2606
fl0m892
Beastyqt873
mouzStarbuck441
KnowMe308
ArmadaUGS133
ToD118
Mew2King47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1191
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 93
• Adnapsc2 24
• musti20045 4
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 11589
Other Games
• imaqtpie848
• Shiphtur223
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 12m
INu's Battles
15h 12m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
18h 12m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 12m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.