• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:17
CEST 17:17
KST 00:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7698 users

2018 - 2019 Football Thread - Page 16

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 274 Next
New Home!

https://tl.net/forum/sports/549587-2019-2020-football-thread
Ysellian
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands9029 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-22 18:00:31
August 22 2018 17:56 GMT
#301
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
August 22 2018 18:05 GMT
#302
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

He did ok with Barcelona: he just brought all of Ajax there :/
haitike
Profile Joined June 2009
Spain2744 Posts
August 22 2018 19:47 GMT
#303
On August 23 2018 03:05 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

He did ok with Barcelona: he just brought all of Ajax there :/


I remember that when I was a kid, when Barcelona was full of dutch players.
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-22 20:39:34
August 22 2018 20:37 GMT
#304
On August 23 2018 04:47 haitike wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 03:05 Acrofales wrote:
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

He did ok with Barcelona: he just brought all of Ajax there :/


I remember that when I was a kid, when Barcelona was full of dutch players.


Thats why I started liking the team lol.. look at all these Dutch players on Barca they were so good in the WC

And theres Rivaldo ..and they are champions.. All of the reasons are surprisingly fickle but thats how these things go. Thats why I dont judge newer fans for teams they support.

Right before a few years of Mediocrity with teams like Depo and Valencia being better lol..
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
August 22 2018 21:25 GMT
#305
La Liga players threaten to go on strike in order to avoid playing in the US:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-primera-division/story/3607083/la-liga-players-unanimously-against-game-in-us-and-cant-rule-out-strike

Captains and players representing the Spanish top-division clubs, including Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos and Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, met on Wednesday afternoon in Madrid to discuss La Liga's plans to stage a game in the United States as early as this season, among other issues.

"The players are outraged, very surprised, and are all against it. It's unanimous," Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) president David Aganzo said after the meeting, which lasted an hour.

"The players don't want to play overseas. Things have to be done in a more coherent way and with common sense. A decision of this magnitude, that affects players, referees and fans, was taken unilaterally and is a lack of respect."

Aganzo could not rule out the possibility of a work stoppage when asked if the players' union is willing to strike over the issue.

"I have information that there are certain clubs that are in favour and others against this, but I represent the players," Aganzo said. "We need to sort this out with the union, and we will tell them all of our problems. If, from then on and after a few days, they don't answer, then we will have to solve the situation.

"We are going to try to see that it doesn't reach that extreme [of a strike]. But we are willing to go right to the last option if it is necessary."


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
August 22 2018 23:35 GMT
#306
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Twinkle Toes
Profile Joined May 2012
United States3605 Posts
August 23 2018 01:36 GMT
#307
On August 23 2018 06:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
La Liga players threaten to go on strike in order to avoid playing in the US:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-primera-division/story/3607083/la-liga-players-unanimously-against-game-in-us-and-cant-rule-out-strike

Show nested quote +
Captains and players representing the Spanish top-division clubs, including Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos and Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, met on Wednesday afternoon in Madrid to discuss La Liga's plans to stage a game in the United States as early as this season, among other issues.

"The players are outraged, very surprised, and are all against it. It's unanimous," Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) president David Aganzo said after the meeting, which lasted an hour.

"The players don't want to play overseas. Things have to be done in a more coherent way and with common sense. A decision of this magnitude, that affects players, referees and fans, was taken unilaterally and is a lack of respect."

Aganzo could not rule out the possibility of a work stoppage when asked if the players' union is willing to strike over the issue.

"I have information that there are certain clubs that are in favour and others against this, but I represent the players," Aganzo said. "We need to sort this out with the union, and we will tell them all of our problems. If, from then on and after a few days, they don't answer, then we will have to solve the situation.

"We are going to try to see that it doesn't reach that extreme [of a strike]. But we are willing to go right to the last option if it is necessary."


Source

They have nothing to gain from this
Bisu - INnoVation - Dark - Rogue - Stats
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-23 02:02:38
August 23 2018 02:01 GMT
#308
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8930 Posts
August 23 2018 02:35 GMT
#309
On August 23 2018 06:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
La Liga players threaten to go on strike in order to avoid playing in the US:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-primera-division/story/3607083/la-liga-players-unanimously-against-game-in-us-and-cant-rule-out-strike

Show nested quote +
Captains and players representing the Spanish top-division clubs, including Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos and Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, met on Wednesday afternoon in Madrid to discuss La Liga's plans to stage a game in the United States as early as this season, among other issues.

"The players are outraged, very surprised, and are all against it. It's unanimous," Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) president David Aganzo said after the meeting, which lasted an hour.

"The players don't want to play overseas. Things have to be done in a more coherent way and with common sense. A decision of this magnitude, that affects players, referees and fans, was taken unilaterally and is a lack of respect."

Aganzo could not rule out the possibility of a work stoppage when asked if the players' union is willing to strike over the issue.

"I have information that there are certain clubs that are in favour and others against this, but I represent the players," Aganzo said. "We need to sort this out with the union, and we will tell them all of our problems. If, from then on and after a few days, they don't answer, then we will have to solve the situation.

"We are going to try to see that it doesn't reach that extreme [of a strike]. But we are willing to go right to the last option if it is necessary."


Source

lol i called it.

i get mou needs backing from woodward but i can see why woodward doesnt want to give him the players. hes bought 2 cbs already and hes asking for 2 more. the obvious rebuttal question is "why arent you using the ones you have". tbh i dont think mou has a good enough answer; if the 2 he bought arent up to standard that is entirely mous fault, either due to his lack of judgment or lack of coaching. naturally this means we cant guarantee the next cb signings will work out for us. also, we had one of the best defense in the league last season. its not really a problem area imo and the players showing poor performances are probably due to other factors not their personal skill.

the bigger problem is mous man management and attacking tactics. he doesnt instill confidence in his players well and our attacking is nowhere near as fluid as they should be. i like what ferdinand said about fergies teams vs every united team after. fergies teams didnt care about their opponents (obviously barring big away/cl games). they did their own thing and had the confidence that they would win regardless. nowadays united teams set up to block the opponent and dont try to dominate the game from the beginning. thats low-mid table mentality
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-23 07:55:09
August 23 2018 07:52 GMT
#310
On August 23 2018 08:35 Pandemona wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.


Pretty sure the commentators were praising Baily and Lindelof during the Leicester game. I'm sure they were just having an off day, it's not like they are terrible defenders. This is the same defense that kept 18 clean sheets last season.
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 23 2018 08:34 GMT
#311
On August 23 2018 16:52 Dante08 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 08:35 Pandemona wrote:
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.


Pretty sure the commentators were praising Baily and Lindelof during the Leicester game. I'm sure they were just having an off day, it's not like they are terrible defenders. This is the same defense that kept 18 clean sheets last season.

On paper it's probably an upgrade to last season if Bailly isn't injured half of the season.

I do wonder if the transfermarket drama with Mourinho affects the players. It can't be too good for the player-manager relationship when Mourinho media game seems to be saying "you're only playing because I didn't get the players I wanted". There's a reason why many managers will defend their players in public no matter the performance.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
August 23 2018 09:33 GMT
#312
The back 4 pairing was mainly Jones/Smalling + Baily when he was fit when they had those clean sheets. Lindelof was only used when all others injured. He has been woeful. Baily has pace but needs experience next to him to help him out. Like i said Smalling and Jones injured so much and Baily had a bad spell with injuries last season, i don't know if he is injury prone player like Smalling and Jones though. That is why Mourinho was chasing Alderweireld, Maguire, Godin a few names there was more. Those would go into team straight away and in the case of Alderweireld he was a very "easy" target as surely Spurs would have sold if the money that was offered was good enough because they do not play him anymore he is on the bench all the time.

But anyway, we shall see what happens, Mourinho needs to coach now he has to get these players working better defensively or they might struggle top 4 / he will leave.
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
August 23 2018 12:22 GMT
#313
On August 23 2018 17:34 Bacillus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 16:52 Dante08 wrote:
On August 23 2018 08:35 Pandemona wrote:
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.


Pretty sure the commentators were praising Baily and Lindelof during the Leicester game. I'm sure they were just having an off day, it's not like they are terrible defenders. This is the same defense that kept 18 clean sheets last season.

On paper it's probably an upgrade to last season if Bailly isn't injured half of the season.

I do wonder if the transfermarket drama with Mourinho affects the players. It can't be too good for the player-manager relationship when Mourinho media game seems to be saying "you're only playing because I didn't get the players I wanted". There's a reason why many managers will defend their players in public no matter the performance.


yea like I feel like this is perhaps the biggest key difference between early mourinho and later mourinho. It used to be his team against the world, like he was deflecting all the attention off the players and onto himself. But then his ego just.. became even more out of control, and it stopped being about his teams, but about himself. So he has to justify his failures - not justify the failures of his team, and then instead of blaming team-external factors like the referee or media or whatever, he blames himself-external factors, like his players. And at least my impression has been that during this phase, he has basically started losing the dressing room. The players he had during his spell at Inter or first run at Chelsea loved him. He brought a couple Porto players with him - so I assume they liked him, too. But basically since he went to RM, which seemed to be his turning point, he's been less and less loved by his players, and more and more outwardly critical towards them.
Moderator
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 23 2018 13:16 GMT
#314
On August 23 2018 21:22 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 17:34 Bacillus wrote:
On August 23 2018 16:52 Dante08 wrote:
On August 23 2018 08:35 Pandemona wrote:
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.


Pretty sure the commentators were praising Baily and Lindelof during the Leicester game. I'm sure they were just having an off day, it's not like they are terrible defenders. This is the same defense that kept 18 clean sheets last season.

On paper it's probably an upgrade to last season if Bailly isn't injured half of the season.

I do wonder if the transfermarket drama with Mourinho affects the players. It can't be too good for the player-manager relationship when Mourinho media game seems to be saying "you're only playing because I didn't get the players I wanted". There's a reason why many managers will defend their players in public no matter the performance.


yea like I feel like this is perhaps the biggest key difference between early mourinho and later mourinho. It used to be his team against the world, like he was deflecting all the attention off the players and onto himself. But then his ego just.. became even more out of control, and it stopped being about his teams, but about himself. So he has to justify his failures - not justify the failures of his team, and then instead of blaming team-external factors like the referee or media or whatever, he blames himself-external factors, like his players. And at least my impression has been that during this phase, he has basically started losing the dressing room. The players he had during his spell at Inter or first run at Chelsea loved him. He brought a couple Porto players with him - so I assume they liked him, too. But basically since he went to RM, which seemed to be his turning point, he's been less and less loved by his players, and more and more outwardly critical towards them.

Yeah. There was even some retired Premier League ref that mentioned in an interview that Mourinho was initially a really pleasant manager to cooperate and then went on to point out that on the 2nd Chelsea tour things had changed.

Either he never really got comfortable with the Guardiola rivalry at La Liga or his egoistic and bitter aspects otherwise slowly took over, but the turnaround definitely seems to have happended somewhere between the Chelsea spells.




nojok
Profile Joined May 2011
France15846 Posts
August 23 2018 13:32 GMT
#315
On August 23 2018 21:22 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 17:34 Bacillus wrote:
On August 23 2018 16:52 Dante08 wrote:
On August 23 2018 08:35 Pandemona wrote:
On August 23 2018 02:56 Ysellian wrote:
Christ LvG was bad, wasn't he? I guess he's always been more of a youth academy kind of guy and he was notoriously shitty with Brazilians. I didn't follow Barcelona much when I was young, but I guess he had similar issues then?

On August 23 2018 00:10 Pandemona wrote:
Mourinho has never had a "style" other than to win, by any means. Parking bus or getting 2-0 up and taking best players off to rest them knowing game over etc.


I feel Mourinho's style has always been building a game plan based on a strong defense. His first stint at Chelsea was obviously very businesslike, he reinvented catenaccio at Inter, Madrid were the perfect counter attacking team etc. I mean it's not the most attractive thing in the world, but I'd say it's something at least.

Exactly that is the same for me, yet he has bought awful defenders in Baily and Lindelof at Yanited, Jones and Smalling never fit enough for a full season. Valencia is "workable" as a right back and Shaw is very hit and miss. He needs 2 world class centre backs and he asked for some this window and Woodward failed to deliver.


Pretty sure the commentators were praising Baily and Lindelof during the Leicester game. I'm sure they were just having an off day, it's not like they are terrible defenders. This is the same defense that kept 18 clean sheets last season.

On paper it's probably an upgrade to last season if Bailly isn't injured half of the season.

I do wonder if the transfermarket drama with Mourinho affects the players. It can't be too good for the player-manager relationship when Mourinho media game seems to be saying "you're only playing because I didn't get the players I wanted". There's a reason why many managers will defend their players in public no matter the performance.


yea like I feel like this is perhaps the biggest key difference between early mourinho and later mourinho. It used to be his team against the world, like he was deflecting all the attention off the players and onto himself. But then his ego just.. became even more out of control, and it stopped being about his teams, but about himself. So he has to justify his failures - not justify the failures of his team, and then instead of blaming team-external factors like the referee or media or whatever, he blames himself-external factors, like his players. And at least my impression has been that during this phase, he has basically started losing the dressing room. The players he had during his spell at Inter or first run at Chelsea loved him. He brought a couple Porto players with him - so I assume they liked him, too. But basically since he went to RM, which seemed to be his turning point, he's been less and less loved by his players, and more and more outwardly critical towards them.

Exactly, Mourinho used to act like a lightning rod for his team but now that his ego has overtaken him, he's using his team as a scapegoat. Back then he could stimulate a player with a smart burn in front of the press but that's no longer the case. It's how it is, the best coaches rarely have a long carreer before they become a caricature of themselves (Ancelotti for exemple). This job is exhausting and Mourinho reached the limit, he has to acknowledge it.
"Back then teams that won were credited, now it's called throw. I think it's sad." - Kuroky - Flap Flap Wings!
ortseam
Profile Joined April 2015
996 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-23 14:31:22
August 23 2018 14:30 GMT
#316
Real Madrid are the most popular team in the world
Interesting survey carried out by JDSports, says it's based on search data. Some of the results are super weird, like Ajax in Ukraine (???)
Dav1oN
Profile Joined January 2012
Ukraine3164 Posts
August 23 2018 15:39 GMT
#317
On August 23 2018 23:30 ortseam wrote:
Real Madrid are the most popular team in the world
Interesting survey carried out by JDSports, says it's based on search data. Some of the results are super weird, like Ajax in Ukraine (???)


Haven't seen Ajax uniform for a while in Ukraine Oo
I also wasn't able to find a single fan club of Ajax in Ukraine, so it looks weird to me also.
In memory of Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson 11.09.1985 - 21.07.2019 A tribute to incredible man, embodiment of joy, esports titan, starcraft community pillar all in one. You will always be remembered!
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
August 23 2018 19:50 GMT
#318
So last season, Rosenborg bought Samuel Adegbenro before the europa league qualification against Ajax. He ended up scoring once in the first game, 10 minutes after being subbed on, and twice in the regame, which was his first full match, and basically made us qualify through those goals - the qualification alone being worth more than twice what we paid for him.

Sadly, he's been injured most of the season. But we bought this other guy a week ago. First he played a game last weekend where he scored a goal, and then, 10 minutes into his home debut and his europa league debut, he gives us this

https://streamja.com/bevv

3-0 after half time so looks like we're gonna qualify again. And I think 'qualifying for europa league' is basically the metric for a successful season, these days.
Moderator
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
August 23 2018 21:19 GMT
#319
On August 24 2018 00:39 Dav1oN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2018 23:30 ortseam wrote:
Real Madrid are the most popular team in the world
Interesting survey carried out by JDSports, says it's based on search data. Some of the results are super weird, like Ajax in Ukraine (???)


Haven't seen Ajax uniform for a while in Ukraine Oo
I also wasn't able to find a single fan club of Ajax in Ukraine, so it looks weird to me also.

You'll see the Ajax uniform in Ukraine next week when they come to kick Kiev's ass in the away game too
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
August 23 2018 21:23 GMT
#320
On August 24 2018 04:50 Liquid`Drone wrote:
So last season, Rosenborg bought Samuel Adegbenro before the europa league qualification against Ajax. He ended up scoring once in the first game, 10 minutes after being subbed on, and twice in the regame, which was his first full match, and basically made us qualify through those goals - the qualification alone being worth more than twice what we paid for him.

Sadly, he's been injured most of the season. But we bought this other guy a week ago. First he played a game last weekend where he scored a goal, and then, 10 minutes into his home debut and his europa league debut, he gives us this

https://streamja.com/bevv

3-0 after half time so looks like we're gonna qualify again. And I think 'qualifying for europa league' is basically the metric for a successful season, these days.


oh thats gorgeous..
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 274 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM329
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 329
Reynor 222
ByuN 153
TKL 120
Railgan 79
Codebar 65
BRAT_OK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 60287
Bisu 2865
FanTaSy 1030
Stork 849
Calm 604
Rush 427
hero 412
firebathero 202
Snow 142
Sharp 91
[ Show more ]
Free 67
Mind 66
Sea.KH 52
Pusan 49
ToSsGirL 38
Trap 38
Sexy 32
Mong 25
Bale 25
Terrorterran 24
Hm[arnc] 22
Aegong 21
Rock 20
HiyA 17
soO 17
Sacsri 10
Shine 10
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8458
Dendi1054
Counter-Strike
fl0m4307
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Other Games
singsing2299
Liquid`RaSZi1404
B2W.Neo734
Beastyqt587
olofmeister482
Mlord457
Khaldor425
KnowMe299
Hui .214
crisheroes174
Chillindude61
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV254
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony6
• niya90s 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV572
League of Legends
• Nemesis3431
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1750
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 43m
OSC
7h 43m
Replay Cast
7h 43m
OSC
20h 43m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.