• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7314 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 220

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 218 219 220 221 222 234 Next
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 29 2019 17:03 GMT
#4381
Nice man, good stuff I too like to play ultimate (at this point in my life at a pick-up level)
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
September 14 2019 19:16 GMT
#4382
How's the progress going @Amui? I feel like usually when you think you need to lose 10lbs, you really need to lose 20.

I guess I'm stuck with lifting for the time being. There are all these different sports clubs, but I don't think that there's really any replacement for it.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
September 27 2019 19:21 GMT
#4383
I have a question:

Over the past few months, my wife and I have really started to focus on our physical health; we've joined a gym, started eating healthier overall, portion controlling, sleeping more, etc. and we're happy with the progress we've made. We've been working with a bunch of the gym's trainers and nutritionists, and they suggested that we continue on our path with one additional modification: taking supplements.

All of the assistance we've received from these trainers previously have been helpful to us, but we're skeptical about supplements. We know that supplements don't require FDA approval, and that many of them literally lie on the label (from promising all sorts of absurd things to even listing misleading or nonexistent ingredients). There are so many reports on how supplements are essentially just false advertising, that I literally use them as an example when I teach "placebo effect" to my students.

I guess my question boils down to a matter of whether or not there is any way to trust certain supplements. Our trainers have really been on point with all of their other advice, but we're worried that we're gonna waste money on a scam.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-09-27 19:30:04
September 27 2019 19:28 GMT
#4384
On September 28 2019 04:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
I have a question:

Over the past few months, my wife and I have really started to focus on our physical health; we've joined a gym, started eating healthier overall, portion controlling, sleeping more, etc. and we're happy with the progress we've made. We've been working with a bunch of the gym's trainers and nutritionists, and they suggested that we continue on our path with one additional modification: taking supplements.

All of the assistance we've received from these trainers previously have been helpful to us, but we're skeptical about supplements. We know that supplements don't require FDA approval, and that many of them literally lie on the label (from promising all sorts of absurd things to even listing misleading or nonexistent ingredients). There are so many reports on how supplements are essentially just false advertising, that I literally use them as an example when I teach "placebo effect" to my students.

I guess my question boils down to a matter of whether or not there is any way to trust certain supplements. Our trainers have really been on point with all of their other advice, but we're worried that we're gonna waste money on a scam.


There are some true and tried supplements.

Mainly whey protein, mono hidrate creatine, zma and vitamin D for males.

This supplements are nothing that doesn't exist in food or sun (vit D), but it's hard for most people to get the right amount so that's an easy way; they supplement. They are also quite cheap. Brand doesn't really matter, as long as you think they are legit
Creatine is widely studied, dirt cheap, and has not known negative side effects on any reasonable dose.

There's another batch of "supplements" that work even better but I'm sure they are not refering to those.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
September 27 2019 19:30 GMT
#4385
Glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil are also pretty clearly beneficial, if one is so inclined.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
September 27 2019 19:44 GMT
#4386
On September 28 2019 04:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
I have a question:

Over the past few months, my wife and I have really started to focus on our physical health; we've joined a gym, started eating healthier overall, portion controlling, sleeping more, etc. and we're happy with the progress we've made. We've been working with a bunch of the gym's trainers and nutritionists, and they suggested that we continue on our path with one additional modification: taking supplements.

All of the assistance we've received from these trainers previously have been helpful to us, but we're skeptical about supplements. We know that supplements don't require FDA approval, and that many of them literally lie on the label (from promising all sorts of absurd things to even listing misleading or nonexistent ingredients). There are so many reports on how supplements are essentially just false advertising, that I literally use them as an example when I teach "placebo effect" to my students.

I guess my question boils down to a matter of whether or not there is any way to trust certain supplements. Our trainers have really been on point with all of their other advice, but we're worried that we're gonna waste money on a scam.


“supplements” is far too broad a category to talk about in general. you need to narrow down the question to specific ones, possibly even specifying brands
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-09-27 20:04:15
September 27 2019 20:03 GMT
#4387
Thanks for the responses so far

On September 28 2019 04:44 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2019 04:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
I have a question:

Over the past few months, my wife and I have really started to focus on our physical health; we've joined a gym, started eating healthier overall, portion controlling, sleeping more, etc. and we're happy with the progress we've made. We've been working with a bunch of the gym's trainers and nutritionists, and they suggested that we continue on our path with one additional modification: taking supplements.

All of the assistance we've received from these trainers previously have been helpful to us, but we're skeptical about supplements. We know that supplements don't require FDA approval, and that many of them literally lie on the label (from promising all sorts of absurd things to even listing misleading or nonexistent ingredients). There are so many reports on how supplements are essentially just false advertising, that I literally use them as an example when I teach "placebo effect" to my students.

I guess my question boils down to a matter of whether or not there is any way to trust certain supplements. Our trainers have really been on point with all of their other advice, but we're worried that we're gonna waste money on a scam.


“supplements” is far too broad a category to talk about in general. you need to narrow down the question to specific ones, possibly even specifying brands


That's definitely fair. Below, in the spoiler tag, are pictures of the 2 powder supplements primarily suggested for me: the isolate protein is supposed to be a relatively healthy way for me to take in more protein (to build more muscle, etc.) on top of my usual eating, and the life greens is supposed to be a healthy, low sugar way for me to take in more good nutrients that are typically found in fruits and vegetables.

Not only am I wondering how effective these ingredients typically are, but I'm also trying to deal with the fact that some supplements don't even contain the ingredients they say they do (e.g., there's a difference between knowing that fish oil is healthy and knowing that the supplement you're taking even has fish oil in it, and that the bottle isn't just lying). I'm worried about the lack of oversight and vetting when it comes to supplements.

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-09-27 20:35:01
September 27 2019 20:27 GMT
#4388
what specifically are you worried about here? that the protein isolate pack doesnt actually have protein? that theres no brussels sprout powder in your green drink? those look entirely fine to me. i would actually worry more about the other food you undoubtedly put in your body, even if it is USDA approved. (although it looks like your greens packet is actually a food not a supplement?)

“effectiveness” is relative. protein is protein. its not magic, but to say its “ineffective” raises questions about what its ineffective for. likewise greens wont change much in the short term, but maybe, if you eat more greens than you were eating before, at some point 30 years down the line your body will be in better shape in some dimensions than it otherwise would have been.* maybe you think its too expensive. maybe it is. but it is convenient and thats what you are paying for. maybe youd rather spend time cooking whole brussels sprouts and kale, or maybe not. maybe you like the taste of the powder better.

*it is hard to judge the benefits of greens to subjective well being, partly because most people dont actually eat enough to hit a “tipping point” (thanks gladwell). but there are many people who say regularly eating greens (in whole form, or juice form, or powder) is worth the cost, and i am one of them
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
September 27 2019 21:53 GMT
#4389
Yeah, I totally understand that effectiveness is going to be relative and based on a ton of personal variables. For me, it's more of a trust issue of whether or not supplements actually contain what they claim to contain in the first place... so basically, as you put it, "that the protein isolate pack doesnt actually have protein". I'm wondering if I'm receiving the ingredients that are marketed, or if it's just an expensive placebo.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-09-27 22:53:00
September 27 2019 22:50 GMT
#4390
its almost definitely protein. if you think that particular product is shady (it looks like a niche product for bougie yuppies rather than a niche product for lifters) there are a ton of other reputable protein products.

whey protein used to be very cheap and now is only somewhat cheap compared to other sources. there arent a whole lot of reasons to adulterate it for companies that have been around more than several months
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 28 2019 06:47 GMT
#4391
That stuff is probably what it is, if not overpriced. Supplements should be just that - supplementary to your diet. Eat lots of meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. And you'll cover most of your bases. Vitamin D and Magnesium are the only two supps I really recommend for the average guy, then creatine for athletes and protein powder if it helps you hit your protein targets (mostly a convenience thing)
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
September 28 2019 10:52 GMT
#4392
All right, thanks guys!
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
October 03 2019 11:40 GMT
#4393
We don't do progress pics anymore and I made most of my progress in earlier years but here's a pre-TL and now (8 years ) Thanks to all the guys here that are still around and helped me out a bunch.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
October 03 2019 19:08 GMT
#4394
Very nice. I feel like once you hit your thirties you start to appreciate “stasis” pictures anyway. Like “I’m still after it”
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
October 07 2019 04:03 GMT
#4395
Good work mordek. Wish I had a solid before picture to compare to!
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
October 14 2019 06:49 GMT
#4396
Hi all!
I've been looking for hip mobility exercises, and I found this:


any suggestions?
To be honest, I don't know anything about stretching, so I'm kind of in the dark..
the idea is to have a routine that I can go through in the morning to improve my mobility, since my hips are super tight..

thanks
My life for Aiur !
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
October 23 2019 17:13 GMT
#4397
I've always gone to the beginner flexibility routine here in the flexibility subreddit.
https://old.reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/9212b8/dont_know_where_to_start_click_here/

Flexibility has always been a pain point for me since I have limited training time.

I managed to hit my fitness achievement for the year a bit early.
I went from ~2-3" short of the rim to dunking a tennis ball, at my height of 5'10", standing reach of 7'4" I think that's pretty good. Works out to a running vertical of 33-33.5" or so. I got it 1/6 tries last time I was at the court, and it wasn't so much a dunk as rolling the ball over the rim, but I'll take it. Hopefully I can consistently get it by the end of December. I guess next year, I'll try to hit a 3ft running vertical, which would be about as good as I realistically need. I'm guessing I need another 4" or so to dunk a basketball properly which is a longass ways away.

Training wise, my squat is now at ~325x5 and I'm pretty happy here. It's starting to get really heavy without a belt so I might need to invest in one, both for protecting my back and for the gains.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17877 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-24 00:02:28
October 24 2019 00:00 GMT
#4398
This is what a ruptured achilles tendon looks like.
https://i.imgur.com/Kx3Luy1.mp4

The rupture occurs at 2 seconds in her left calf. Note the left calf muscle rolling up her leg. At the exact time of the rupture she is not in pain. Also, note how little pain she is in afterwards. Tendons do not have many nerve endings. Tendonitis is extremely painful because of the inflammatory fluid that rushes to the scene of the microtears. Tendons have relatively few nerve endings and relatively little circulation.

It is confounding how brutally painful a pulled muscle is and yet you can be back and ready to play your sport in 2 weeks. Whereas, a tendon rupture is not very painful and you are out 6 to 12 months.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
October 24 2019 11:56 GMT
#4399
Her reaction seems very consistent with someone who is very much in pain.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17877 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-25 01:26:05
October 25 2019 01:16 GMT
#4400
She attempts to push off her left leg AFTER her calf is already rolling up her leg. She doesn't even know anything is wrong.

Here is another achilles tendon tear. Durant is not in agonizing pain. The lack of nerve endings limits the pain. A tendon must be as strong as a muscle while being much smaller. The only way this can be accomplished is by having fewer weak structures in teh tendon. Nerve endings and blood vessels are weak structures. Tendons have less circulation and less nerve endings. This accounts for a tendons amazing strength despite being so small.

The reason chronic achilles tendonitis is so painful is due to the inflammatory fluid that rushes to the site of the micro-tears.. that swelling and inflammatory process takes several minutes and can peak days later.. It is not instant..



Now if the tendon ruptured and the patient has another structure rupture or tear due to losing all strength in the tendon ... then the patient can experience great pain. But, that pain is from the other structure tearing and not the tendon itself.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Prev 1 218 219 220 221 222 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.