• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:55
CEST 21:55
KST 04:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9602 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 74

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 72 73 74 75 76 173 Next
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
May 12 2014 23:04 GMT
#1461
Hey guys, sorry if this is common knowledge but I just wanted to make sure.

Is it normal for people to be able to deadlift a good amount more weight than they squat? For whatever reason I assumed that I was suppose to be able to do both around the same weight but I can deadlift 50lbs more than I can squat. I believe you use more muscles when deadlifting so maybe that is why? I ask because my friend told me he has the opposite problem (he squats more weight than he can deadlift)

If there really is something wrong with that proportion, I may need to crack down and really work on my squats.
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
May 12 2014 23:10 GMT
#1462
On May 13 2014 08:04 Ohnoitztotoro wrote:
Hey guys, sorry if this is common knowledge but I just wanted to make sure.

Is it normal for people to be able to deadlift a good amount more weight than they squat? For whatever reason I assumed that I was suppose to be able to do both around the same weight but I can deadlift 50lbs more than I can squat. I believe you use more muscles when deadlifting so maybe that is why? I ask because my friend told me he has the opposite problem (he squats more weight than he can deadlift)

If there really is something wrong with that proportion, I may need to crack down and really work on my squats.


It's pretty normal, but also when your lifts aren't near your genetic max it doesn't matter much since it can vary greatly.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
May 12 2014 23:10 GMT
#1463
It depends on the person but what you describe is very standard and nothing to be worried about. Generally, folks who can squat more than they can deadlift are a little less common than the inverse.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
May 12 2014 23:16 GMT
#1464
Great, thanks a lot for clarifying. I'm definitely working on my squats but the constantly widening gap was making me worried lol.

I wish I could enjoy squats more but my progress has been very incremental at best so I end up feeling a lot happier when its my DL day =P.
autoexec
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States530 Posts
May 12 2014 23:21 GMT
#1465
I think I personally deadlift like 70ish more pounds than I squat. But I wish I squat more than I deadlift, it's my favorite lift :D
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
May 13 2014 03:59 GMT
#1466
I used to deadlift 150 pounds more than my Squat, now its closer to 100 pounds, nothing to worry about.

BP: 127.5kgx3, 135x3, 142.5x3 (PR), 150x1
SQ: 210x1, 190x3x4

almost died on squat, as usual. No knee or back pain, but my legs are killing me, knots everywhere :'(.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
May 13 2014 03:59 GMT
#1467
Before i switched to olympic weightlifting my dead lift was a good 70 pounds or so higher than my squat, now it's probably closer to 20-30 since i squat every day now. Haven't deadlifted in aaaages.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-13 08:33:00
May 13 2014 08:32 GMT
#1468
I used to deadlift like 40% more than my squat lol. I think that anyone who squats more than they deadlift at a sub-elite level is likely not squatting for depth.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
May 13 2014 15:47 GMT
#1469
Thanks for everyone's input. Its a relief to hear haha. Is there a reason why elite lifters end up having stronger squats?

I may need to look into what Olympic training is. Although I'm not aiming to be a crazy power lifter, I definitely would like to have better squats. Just seems to be quite underwhelming in terms of progress compared to everything else I do.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
May 13 2014 17:37 GMT
#1470
On May 14 2014 00:47 Ohnoitztotoro wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input. Its a relief to hear haha. Is there a reason why elite lifters end up having stronger squats?

I may need to look into what Olympic training is. Although I'm not aiming to be a crazy power lifter, I definitely would like to have better squats. Just seems to be quite underwhelming in terms of progress compared to everything else I do.


It's not always the case that elite lifters have higher squats, only some of the time. You can't really make any "rules" about why things are the way they are with elite lifters; once you're pulling over 800/900 pounds, you can break rules as you choose lol. For the most part I believe it has to do with leverages, and the frequency with which you can train the squat as opposed to the deadlift.

when decaf says olympic lifting he means he trains specifically for a sport that involves doing the clean and jerk and the snatch for the heaviest weight possible at 1 rep. For people who are already decently strong, the three major components of training for that sport are to do the two competition lifts, to squat, and (usually) to train often. So he squats almost every day. He rarely deadlifts because 1 - its very draining and would limit his ability to do the other lifts as often, 2 - it doesn't have as much carryover to those competition lifts and 3 - it can actually enforce bad motor patterns/habits for doing those lifts and despite the strength gain have some negative results.

If youre not training to be a competitive weightlifter, you won't train like decaf. That's not to say there aren't good ideas and philosophies of weightlifter training that could help other athletes (just like powerlifting, strongman, and bodybuilding all have strengths and weaknesses) it's just that it's not tailored to any other goal.
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
May 13 2014 19:28 GMT
#1471
That was a really good write up. Thanks Phyre. Its always great learning something new especially since I'm still quite new to all of this.

Yeah, At best I'm a casual lifter who hits the gym for stress relief and to stay healthy. I've been using the strong lifts program since I could barely lift anything 7 months ago lol. Still really good to hear about all the different weight training philosophies because each of them have some good things for me to build on.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-13 21:15:31
May 13 2014 21:15 GMT
#1472
On May 14 2014 02:37 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2014 00:47 Ohnoitztotoro wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input. Its a relief to hear haha. Is there a reason why elite lifters end up having stronger squats?

I may need to look into what Olympic training is. Although I'm not aiming to be a crazy power lifter, I definitely would like to have better squats. Just seems to be quite underwhelming in terms of progress compared to everything else I do.


It's not always the case that elite lifters have higher squats, only some of the time. You can't really make any "rules" about why things are the way they are with elite lifters; once you're pulling over 800/900 pounds, you can break rules as you choose lol. For the most part I believe it has to do with leverages, and the frequency with which you can train the squat as opposed to the deadlift.

when decaf says olympic lifting he means he trains specifically for a sport that involves doing the clean and jerk and the snatch for the heaviest weight possible at 1 rep. For people who are already decently strong, the three major components of training for that sport are to do the two competition lifts, to squat, and (usually) to train often. So he squats almost every day. He rarely deadlifts because 1 - its very draining and would limit his ability to do the other lifts as often, 2 - it doesn't have as much carryover to those competition lifts and 3 - it can actually enforce bad motor patterns/habits for doing those lifts and despite the strength gain have some negative results.

If youre not training to be a competitive weightlifter, you won't train like decaf. That's not to say there aren't good ideas and philosophies of weightlifter training that could help other athletes (just like powerlifting, strongman, and bodybuilding all have strengths and weaknesses) it's just that it's not tailored to any other goal.


It's also really good if your goal is to not fit into pants.

As for elite level deadlift vs squat, squats are generally only higher in equipped lifting i believe and in people who are built for squatting vs deadlifting. If you've got short legs and longer torso you'll have an easier time squatting versus someone who's taller with longer limbs (which make deadlifting easier).
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
May 13 2014 21:43 GMT
#1473
My gym bought bumpers. They must have noticed me ripping mg shoulder to pieces not dropping snatches.

So hype.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
May 13 2014 21:44 GMT
#1474
Grats man
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-14 00:23:52
May 14 2014 00:22 GMT
#1475
I've been reading up online but was curious if there are any tips for improving squats through some of your experiences? I've finally made progress (+5lbs) but this took 1.5 months and in total I only squat a horrible 170lbs. I've been doing 4-5 sets of 5 squats but I'm starting to wonder if trying for some higher reps may help progress things forward more. I'll probably give it a try just to see how my body reacts to it but squats have probably been one of the most frustrating exercises for me due to the slower progression haha.

Really curious to hear what little things you guys do to break your plateau.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
May 14 2014 00:33 GMT
#1476
On May 14 2014 09:22 Ohnoitztotoro wrote:
I've been reading up online but was curious if there are any tips for improving squats through some of your experiences? I've finally made progress (+5lbs) but this took 1.5 months and in total I only squat a horrible 170lbs. I've been doing 4-5 sets of 5 squats but I'm starting to wonder if trying for some higher reps may help progress things forward more. I'll probably give it a try just to see how my body reacts to it but squats have probably been one of the most frustrating exercises for me due to the slower progression haha.

Really curious to hear what little things you guys do to break your plateau.


Video required.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
KaoReal
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada340 Posts
May 14 2014 15:55 GMT
#1477
On May 14 2014 09:33 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2014 09:22 Ohnoitztotoro wrote:
I've been reading up online but was curious if there are any tips for improving squats through some of your experiences? I've finally made progress (+5lbs) but this took 1.5 months and in total I only squat a horrible 170lbs. I've been doing 4-5 sets of 5 squats but I'm starting to wonder if trying for some higher reps may help progress things forward more. I'll probably give it a try just to see how my body reacts to it but squats have probably been one of the most frustrating exercises for me due to the slower progression haha.

Really curious to hear what little things you guys do to break your plateau.


Video required.


Yeah, form would be the first place to look. The book "Becoming a Supple Leopard" pretty much rebuilt the way I squat. I actually started all over again with an empty bar, working my way up workout by workout after reading it. It feels completely different and much more stable. When you fight for extra weight or reps with proper technique, you don't feel strain in any crazy places, which felt pretty revolutionary to me, compared to what I was doing before. You pretty much just make the squat or get stuck. I like the safe, stable feeling of knowing that you're using your body right.
Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forward
Ohnoitztotoro
Profile Joined July 2013
United States45 Posts
May 14 2014 18:44 GMT
#1478
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely take a look at my form then. I go to the gym alone usually but I can probably ask someone to help record me when I do one of my squat sets during my next visit.

I don't really get any strains in weird places but as KaoReal mentioned, its either you make the squat or get stuck. Recently I've just been getting stuck whenever I try pushing the weight up a little. Anyways, I'll take a look at my form first and see if I can make adjustments there first
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
May 15 2014 17:45 GMT
#1479
So I need to survive untill wednesday. If I do that I will graduate with a 3.7 or 3.8 and internships at E&Y+Deutsche Bank lined up. Studying 90+ hours a week for the last 5 weeks has taken a toll on my lifting, I don't even really get that psyched for it anymore. Kind of feels like everything is less enjoyable when you're chronically tired. Anyone got some tips? I'm really falling apart physically, struggling to stay focussed and write coherently.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
Trustworthy-Tony
Profile Joined March 2014
Tanzania187 Posts
May 15 2014 17:47 GMT
#1480
On May 16 2014 02:45 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:
So I need to survive untill wednesday. If I do that I will graduate with a 3.7 or 3.8 and internships at E&Y+Deutsche Bank lined up. Studying 90+ hours a week for the last 5 weeks has taken a toll on my lifting, I don't even really get that psyched for it anymore. Kind of feels like everything is less enjoyable when you're chronically tired. Anyone got some tips? I'm really falling apart physically, struggling to stay focussed and write coherently.

Quality over quantity, always. If you're exhausted (mentally or physically), rest or do light workout.
Prev 1 72 73 74 75 76 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason183
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15495
Artosis 824
Mini 237
ZZZero.O 87
Mind 79
Hyun 38
Bale 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
qojqva2522
420jenkins596
League of Legends
Doublelift1774
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5968
Khaldor1310
Liquid`Hasu1031
MindelVK9
Other Games
summit1g6284
FrodaN1959
B2W.Neo712
byalli346
ToD215
Railgan38
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1286
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
StarCraft 2
angryscii 33
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• Adnapsc2 30
• Reevou 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• FirePhoenix8
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie952
• Shiphtur262
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 5m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.