• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:35
CEST 13:35
KST 20:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)39Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10284 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 37

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 58 Next
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-23 05:40:55
January 23 2013 05:39 GMT
#721
On January 23 2013 08:23 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2013 04:21 funkie wrote:
On January 23 2013 03:09 eshlow wrote:
On January 22 2013 21:46 funkie wrote:
On January 22 2013 11:33 eshlow wrote:
On January 22 2013 09:05 funkie wrote:
1. Pic where it hurts and shit
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt?
Squats, and anything involving the legs.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Sharp.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
7-8ish

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute, around last week thursday. It did get better, but when I tried squatting 100kg it started again, real bad.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
A week, but it has never been this bad. (the pain)

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
If I push my glute or my ankle I can "trigger" the pain, if I massage for a while it kinds of numbs me too.


8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Ice, and resting.


9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Resting seems to help, massage too. If I start doing "heavy" stuff ankle starts to hurt and glute follows.


10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
Nope, no swelling. My legs are tight but may be because I just got back from the gym?


11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
At the begining of day it feels fine, I can feel it, but It doesn't bother me at all, when I exercise the pain starts to get bigger and bigger.

12. Any previous injury history?
Nothing serious, just a couple of minor injuries.

13. How's your posture?
I sit all day, so it's probably 60% shit, 40% good (in a 24h time spawn).


14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
5x5 Every day squats.


15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Not that I know of? maybe this is cause of an overload? since I stopped training by mid-december and recently started again, and I went at it like mad (had no "going easy" mentality.).


Da fudge is going on with you?

All of those points on you hurt all at once or is it different movements for different points hurting or what?

If they got a physical therapist down there in venez you should definitely see one. That's a bit odd.

My likely guess is since many things are hurting something's probably going on with the sciatic nerve. It could be SI joint messing up things all the way down the chain or maybe something else along that line. Not sure over the Internet...



My glute hurts when I try to put pressure on it, when I do weighs (squats).

My Ankle hurts when I'm down in the squat and I'm getting out of the hole, like when my ass hits my legs?.

It's actually just the glute and the ankle, the middle point was just a bad hit walking and I hit a concrete thingy lol.


What part of the ankle hurts?

Do you have access to a foam roller you can use?


I have one PVC Pipe that I use seldomly.

You know where the ball in the ankle is (like the bone that looks like a ball, just above it near the center of the leg, but just above the forementioned part of the leg.


So anterior to the talus?

It hurts because of a pinching type movement when you go deep in the squat?

The mark on the picture above looks like posterior to the lateral malleolus?

Can you get a vid of you squatting?



Video of squatting (it is pretty old, but form hasn't changed for the most part. Come again, this is a pretty shitty squat video haha, my legs go in in the going-up movement. )


Where it exactly (kind of) hurts. I tried squatting without weight and it doesn't bother me that much or close to none, don't know what the fuck is up.
[image loading]

It hurts when I'm boucing out of the hole in the squat, maybe because of the pressure there?

btw, thanks for all the help, I know this isn't easy on the internet, but I do appreciate you taking the time to diagnose me.
<3 you forever.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 23 2013 18:50 GMT
#722
Have you sprained your ankle recently?

Could be a aggravation of a high ankle sprain?

Or is the pain more superficial?
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
January 23 2013 18:55 GMT
#723
On January 24 2013 03:50 eshlow wrote:
Have you sprained your ankle recently?

Could be a aggravation of a high ankle sprain?

Or is the pain more superficial?


more superficial definitely. I took a COLFENE (Ibuprofeno / tiocolchicosido) and the pain (both in glute and in ankle) went away, I tried streching this morning and felt fine, and the pain is almost gone.

I'm fuq.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 23 2013 21:27 GMT
#724
On January 24 2013 03:55 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 03:50 eshlow wrote:
Have you sprained your ankle recently?

Could be a aggravation of a high ankle sprain?

Or is the pain more superficial?


more superficial definitely. I took a COLFENE (Ibuprofeno / tiocolchicosido) and the pain (both in glute and in ankle) went away, I tried streching this morning and felt fine, and the pain is almost gone.

I'm fuq.


Hmmm, if it's just inflammation from something minor that should probably solve it.

I would work back into things very slowly.

High rep slow movement -- 2-3 sets of at least 15-20 reps if not 30-50 reps of the movements
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
January 24 2013 00:18 GMT
#725
On January 24 2013 06:27 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 03:55 funkie wrote:
On January 24 2013 03:50 eshlow wrote:
Have you sprained your ankle recently?

Could be a aggravation of a high ankle sprain?

Or is the pain more superficial?


more superficial definitely. I took a COLFENE (Ibuprofeno / tiocolchicosido) and the pain (both in glute and in ankle) went away, I tried streching this morning and felt fine, and the pain is almost gone.

I'm fuq.


Hmmm, if it's just inflammation from something minor that should probably solve it.

I would work back into things very slowly.

High rep slow movement -- 2-3 sets of at least 15-20 reps if not 30-50 reps of the movements



Thanks. I will do that beginning on monday. Gonna rest it up, ice it up for the rest of the week and try to do some stretching on the weekend.

Will always and forever love you for this. <3.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
iokke
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1179 Posts
February 05 2013 02:44 GMT
#726
How long should you wait after having a non-major injury before jumping back into the exercise?

I've hurt my lower back doing deadlifts with poor form I think (just starting ss, went up in weight + new shoes + im a noob), it was really bad for a few days, then I got a massage, used ice packs/heat packs for a night, did a few other things and it almost went away completely the next day. I decided to drop some weights and do dead-lifts again, nothing hurt during the exercise, but wonder if I rushed back in too fast.

Just so that I know for future, after the pain/discomfort from injury is gone, is it generally safe to jump back into the exercise or should I give my body a lil more time to heal? Thanks in advance

Also is there a good way to stretch prior to squats or do 5+ mins of cardio + warmup sets do the trick?
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down. rerereredit.. I never get it right the 1st time
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
February 05 2013 17:39 GMT
#727
On February 05 2013 11:44 iokke wrote:
How long should you wait after having a non-major injury before jumping back into the exercise?

I've hurt my lower back doing deadlifts with poor form I think (just starting ss, went up in weight + new shoes + im a noob), it was really bad for a few days, then I got a massage, used ice packs/heat packs for a night, did a few other things and it almost went away completely the next day. I decided to drop some weights and do dead-lifts again, nothing hurt during the exercise, but wonder if I rushed back in too fast.

Just so that I know for future, after the pain/discomfort from injury is gone, is it generally safe to jump back into the exercise or should I give my body a lil more time to heal? Thanks in advance

Also is there a good way to stretch prior to squats or do 5+ mins of cardio + warmup sets do the trick?


Well after I had a partially torn psoas I was back in the gym less than a week later, which I highly do NOT recommend. I'm too much of a stubborn bitch to admit defeat so I probably took that one a little quickly. I'd say a week for a minor tweak and you should be good to start lifting again (maybe not deadlifts, just feel everything out).

I think there's 2 ways to look at stretching pre-exercise. It's perfectly fine to do corrective stretching, but I do not recommend just normal static stretching for strength focused programming. I've actually been doing focused-corrective stretching before my front squats to fix my posture and before my back squats to increase calve flexibility to make ATG easier. Others may have different experiences though!
The universe created an audience for itself.
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
February 05 2013 17:42 GMT
#728
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.
The universe created an audience for itself.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 17:49 GMT
#729
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:05:06
February 05 2013 18:02 GMT
#730
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.
The universe created an audience for itself.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 18:18 GMT
#731
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
February 05 2013 18:22 GMT
#732
On February 06 2013 03:18 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?

I've spent about a similar amount of time trying to work out the hips as the upper back/neck problems. Aside from having a chiropractor adjust them (which did help, even visually the change was clear. However, the changes never lasted more than a few hours), I've done plenty of corrective stretching, muscular imbalace correction, and even asked a physical therapist that's currently helping me with a shoulder injury if he thought it was something he could help with.

He seemed optimistic, but now I'm doubting we'll be able to look at it based upon the amount of time and insurance I've got left with their offices.
The universe created an audience for itself.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:41:38
February 05 2013 18:29 GMT
#733
On February 06 2013 03:22 Mortal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:18 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?

I've spent about a similar amount of time trying to work out the hips as the upper back/neck problems. Aside from having a chiropractor adjust them (which did help, even visually the change was clear. However, the changes never lasted more than a few hours), I've done plenty of corrective stretching, muscular imbalace correction, and even asked a physical therapist that's currently helping me with a shoulder injury if he thought it was something he could help with.

He seemed optimistic, but now I'm doubting we'll be able to look at it based upon the amount of time and insurance I've got left with their offices.

Damn man, you're literally describing exactly why I hate chiros, especially for movement relative injuries. One of my biggest problems used to deal with a sinking of my hip that had me walking around on two different leg lengths. After a variety of targeted exercises and stretches with my PT, my hip no longer sank, and now, after 2 months or so, my alignment is perfect. If you'd like, I'll try and put together a few of the exercises I learned, I found a lot of them very useful.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
February 05 2013 18:44 GMT
#734
On February 06 2013 03:29 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:22 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:18 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?

I've spent about a similar amount of time trying to work out the hips as the upper back/neck problems. Aside from having a chiropractor adjust them (which did help, even visually the change was clear. However, the changes never lasted more than a few hours), I've done plenty of corrective stretching, muscular imbalace correction, and even asked a physical therapist that's currently helping me with a shoulder injury if he thought it was something he could help with.

He seemed optimistic, but now I'm doubting we'll be able to look at it based upon the amount of time and insurance I've got left with their offices.

Damn man, you're literally describing exactly why I hate chiros, especially for movement relative injuries. One of my biggest problems used to deal with a sinking of my hip that had me walking around on two different leg lengths. After a variety of targeted exercises and stretches with my PT, my hip no longer sank, and now, after 2 months or so, my alignment is perfect. If you'd like, I'll try and put together a few of the exercises I learned, I found a lot of them very useful.

Yeah. The unfortuante thing is I know how useless chiros are, I just didn't have another direction to go in that I knew well enough to be confident in. That's exactly the problem I'm having; and being that I'm a fairly tall guy, the discrepancy in leg length causes some pretty severe differences in muscular development, strength, and form.

If you have time to write something like that up it would be immensely helpful and appreciated.
The universe created an audience for itself.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 19:02 GMT
#735
On February 06 2013 03:44 Mortal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:29 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:22 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:18 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?

I've spent about a similar amount of time trying to work out the hips as the upper back/neck problems. Aside from having a chiropractor adjust them (which did help, even visually the change was clear. However, the changes never lasted more than a few hours), I've done plenty of corrective stretching, muscular imbalace correction, and even asked a physical therapist that's currently helping me with a shoulder injury if he thought it was something he could help with.

He seemed optimistic, but now I'm doubting we'll be able to look at it based upon the amount of time and insurance I've got left with their offices.

Damn man, you're literally describing exactly why I hate chiros, especially for movement relative injuries. One of my biggest problems used to deal with a sinking of my hip that had me walking around on two different leg lengths. After a variety of targeted exercises and stretches with my PT, my hip no longer sank, and now, after 2 months or so, my alignment is perfect. If you'd like, I'll try and put together a few of the exercises I learned, I found a lot of them very useful.

Yeah. The unfortuante thing is I know how useless chiros are, I just didn't have another direction to go in that I knew well enough to be confident in. That's exactly the problem I'm having; and being that I'm a fairly tall guy, the discrepancy in leg length causes some pretty severe differences in muscular development, strength, and form.

If you have time to write something like that up it would be immensely helpful and appreciated.

Well, I'm 6'2, so I'll see if I can't whip you up a rehab routine that'll help out
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
February 05 2013 20:34 GMT
#736
On February 06 2013 04:02 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:44 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:29 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:22 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:18 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:02 Mortal wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:49 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.

The question might end up being, how many times have you seen a chiropractor? I say this because many of the spinal manipulations practiced by chiros actually end up worsening an individuals condition under the guise of temporary relief, and you might end up seeing an M.D. back/neck specialist who has to try and figure out what some dudes been doing back there.
What is the nature of your injury?


On the surface, just poor back health and getting shafted on genetics (my dad was unable to enlist because of his horrendous back). I've had a few tweaks and pops over the years (partially torn psoas, slipped disk, raised hip, scoliosis), and was hoping to get all of these resolved before looking towards either competition lifting just for shits and giggles, or really pushing myself to the lifting potential I'd like to get to.

Really the only thing causing me grief at the moment is a raised hip and an impingement (for lack of a better explanation) of a nerve close to my C6 which is causing ridiculous pain and discomfort lifting. Doing deep-neck strengthening has alleviated a small amount of pain, but I don't see that being a long-term fix.

I didn't even answer you question, goddamn I ramble. I've been to a couple chiro's maybe 4-5x and an osteopathic surgeon 3x just to get help for my psoas.

Hmm, how much attention have you paid to getting the hip issue worked out? One of the tips my physical therapist laid on me while I went through knee rehab had to do with just how impactful the hips are when it comes to total body function, and that sometimes even neck and upper back issues can trace their cause down to the trunk. Also, do you do much swimming?

I've spent about a similar amount of time trying to work out the hips as the upper back/neck problems. Aside from having a chiropractor adjust them (which did help, even visually the change was clear. However, the changes never lasted more than a few hours), I've done plenty of corrective stretching, muscular imbalace correction, and even asked a physical therapist that's currently helping me with a shoulder injury if he thought it was something he could help with.

He seemed optimistic, but now I'm doubting we'll be able to look at it based upon the amount of time and insurance I've got left with their offices.

Damn man, you're literally describing exactly why I hate chiros, especially for movement relative injuries. One of my biggest problems used to deal with a sinking of my hip that had me walking around on two different leg lengths. After a variety of targeted exercises and stretches with my PT, my hip no longer sank, and now, after 2 months or so, my alignment is perfect. If you'd like, I'll try and put together a few of the exercises I learned, I found a lot of them very useful.

Yeah. The unfortuante thing is I know how useless chiros are, I just didn't have another direction to go in that I knew well enough to be confident in. That's exactly the problem I'm having; and being that I'm a fairly tall guy, the discrepancy in leg length causes some pretty severe differences in muscular development, strength, and form.

If you have time to write something like that up it would be immensely helpful and appreciated.

Well, I'm 6'2, so I'll see if I can't whip you up a rehab routine that'll help out


You are awesome ^^ and similar height to me!
The universe created an audience for itself.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 06 2013 01:35 GMT
#737
On February 05 2013 11:44 iokke wrote:
How long should you wait after having a non-major injury before jumping back into the exercise?

I've hurt my lower back doing deadlifts with poor form I think (just starting ss, went up in weight + new shoes + im a noob), it was really bad for a few days, then I got a massage, used ice packs/heat packs for a night, did a few other things and it almost went away completely the next day. I decided to drop some weights and do dead-lifts again, nothing hurt during the exercise, but wonder if I rushed back in too fast.

Just so that I know for future, after the pain/discomfort from injury is gone, is it generally safe to jump back into the exercise or should I give my body a lil more time to heal? Thanks in advance

Also is there a good way to stretch prior to squats or do 5+ mins of cardio + warmup sets do the trick?


Depends on the severity of the injury.

I would typically take about ~2 weeks to work back into it, but it could be <1 or >3-4 depending.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-06 01:39:17
February 06 2013 01:38 GMT
#738
On February 06 2013 02:42 Mortal wrote:
Now for my actual curiosity: Does anyone have experience or an opinion on seeing an upper-cervical specialist to diagnose/fix any problems with the spine, and specifically the atlas/axis?

While all the evidence I've heard is almost purely anecdotal, it comes from sources I trust enough to go out of my way and at least schedule an initial appointment to see what it's all about. I've had back problems long enough that seeing the standard chiro isn't cutting it anymore.


Yes, I have known 1 guy who it helped significantly, if you actually have an C1/C2 issue.

You have to find a specialist for NUCCA though.

http://www.nucca.org/

I do not currently know of any physical therapy associates that do it, but I haven't researched it that much either since I don't plan on doing that.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
February 06 2013 03:15 GMT
#739
eshlow, I have one slight question I would like you ask you regarding Injuries and such. So basically, I have been in a hiatus from working out in about a mouth. I've done some light exercises(lighter than my previous standard) and I have strains on my arms. do you suggest me to keep pushing myself the next day? Or would you suggest to lead it stabilize and then work out more?
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-06 16:19:30
February 06 2013 16:18 GMT
#740
On February 06 2013 12:15 Xiphos wrote:
eshlow, I have one slight question I would like you ask you regarding Injuries and such. So basically, I have been in a hiatus from working out in about a mouth. I've done some light exercises(lighter than my previous standard) and I have strains on my arms. do you suggest me to keep pushing myself the next day? Or would you suggest to lead it stabilize and then work out more?


I know not who you're looking for, but I'll help out if I can. What specifically happened to your arms? Was it a diagnosed problem or one of those simple lifting tweaks that goes away in a week? If it's the latter then I'd say work your way back up to your previous working weight- slowly- and if there's any pain, stop doing that movement with that weight. Don't exacerbate a problem (like I recently did with my shoulder) instead of letting it fully heal first.

I can give some actual advice once I know what the issue is lol. What a generalized answer I just gave.
The universe created an audience for itself.
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings41
CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23703
Shuttle 2816
Bisu 1038
Horang2 802
Jaedong 584
BeSt 414
Hyuk 352
actioN 315
firebathero 290
Light 243
[ Show more ]
Zeus 203
Stork 200
Mini 188
Soulkey 174
Soma 138
Last 135
EffOrt 117
Leta 115
ggaemo 87
ZerO 86
Rush 82
Pusan 74
hero 56
Mong 55
Snow 55
Killer 40
Sexy 39
Aegong 39
Mind 36
Sea.KH 34
Shine 29
NaDa 28
Sharp 26
Bale 24
Shinee 22
ToSsGirL 19
soO 18
PianO 15
Terrorterran 14
JulyZerg 13
sorry 13
Free 13
Yoon 11
zelot 8
HiyA 8
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
qojqva1127
Gorgc864
Dendi685
Fuzer 124
XaKoH 61
League of Legends
Reynor87
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1456
shoxiejesuss646
x6flipin272
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2116
crisheroes751
Other Games
gofns36998
singsing2246
B2W.Neo470
XBOCT322
DeMusliM189
Mew2King144
Livibee112
Liquid`LucifroN90
ArmadaUGS75
QueenE65
Chillindude11
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream264
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2163
• TFBlade452
Other Games
• WagamamaTV105
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 25m
Stellar Fest
1h 25m
OSC
12h 25m
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 22h
Online Event
1d 23h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-28
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.