• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:58
CEST 05:58
KST 12:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9534 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 704

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 702 703 704 705 706 730 Next
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
December 05 2011 16:25 GMT
#14061
On December 06 2011 00:52 zatic wrote:
I know they are supposed to be easier, but it can't be normal that I can do 12-8-7 chinups but barely 2 pullups? It feels like I have zero strenth once I switch to palms facing away and a wider grip (pullups are supposed to be wider than chinups right?)

Also any good tips how to prevent legs / hips to drive forward during either?


I always use the same grip width (sic?) for chin ups and pull ups. obviously, pull ups become harder the wider your grip is. maybe try a more narrow grip!

and I believe core strength is mostly responsible for preventing leg/hip "drive". squeeze those abs! it might also help to have some sort of block underneath the bar so you can "reset" your position after every rep.

@sjarl: is it a normal powerlifting competition or a strongman one? hope you do well!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
December 05 2011 18:31 GMT
#14062
Just a regular powerlifting meet, only thing I believe I have left to do to reach my goals for 2011.

Thanks for the suuport
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
DoubleZee
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada556 Posts
December 05 2011 18:36 GMT
#14063
I just had a nightmare that I missed my workout tonight. *shudders*
Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
December 05 2011 21:01 GMT
#14064


holy shit
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
December 05 2011 21:04 GMT
#14065
I raise you a whole Benni:



Not sumo and no straps.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
December 05 2011 21:22 GMT
#14066
unbelievable... although I do like how the other guy rips oben his knees :D
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
December 05 2011 21:29 GMT
#14067
On December 06 2011 00:52 zatic wrote:
I know they are supposed to be easier, but it can't be normal that I can do 12-8-7 chinups but barely 2 pullups? It feels like I have zero strenth once I switch to palms facing away and a wider grip (pullups are supposed to be wider than chinups right?)

Also any good tips how to prevent legs / hips to drive forward during either?


AFAIK, the only thing that defines a Pull-Up or a Chin-Up is how you grip with your hands. You don't have to grip extra-wide to make it a pull-up. If a real wide grip doesn't suit you, then just don't do it, you also wouldn't deadlift/squat/bench in an uncomfortable position just for the heck of it (maybe if you want to specifically train only your lats that is another story).
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 05 2011 21:54 GMT
#14068
wide grip chinups are cool i wish i could do one :D
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
December 05 2011 21:58 GMT
#14069
On December 06 2011 06:29 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2011 00:52 zatic wrote:
I know they are supposed to be easier, but it can't be normal that I can do 12-8-7 chinups but barely 2 pullups? It feels like I have zero strenth once I switch to palms facing away and a wider grip (pullups are supposed to be wider than chinups right?)

Also any good tips how to prevent legs / hips to drive forward during either?


AFAIK, the only thing that defines a Pull-Up or a Chin-Up is how you grip with your hands. You don't have to grip extra-wide to make it a pull-up. If a real wide grip doesn't suit you, then just don't do it, you also wouldn't deadlift/squat/bench in an uncomfortable position just for the heck of it (maybe if you want to specifically train only your lats that is another story).


I dislike that logic.

It's equivalent of saying "Do dead-lift with bad technique because you can lift more weight."

Wide arm pull-ups do feel more natural, and they do train your lats more (overall I feel they do more for you than close-grip pull ups). If you can't do pull-ups, just use an assist. I have this problem as well, but if you keep working at it, you'll be able to do a good number of pull-ups in no time.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-05 22:25:00
December 05 2011 22:23 GMT
#14070
why is using a narrow grip for pull ups the equivalent of doing deadlifts with bad technique? that doesnt make sense.
wide grip = more lats, less arms
narrow grip = more arms, less lats

simple as that. and just because you like wide grip pull ups more doesnt mean they are better. they cant even be "better" because they dont have the same purpose.
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-05 23:18:59
December 05 2011 22:26 GMT
#14071
On December 06 2011 06:58 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2011 06:29 Malinor wrote:
On December 06 2011 00:52 zatic wrote:
I know they are supposed to be easier, but it can't be normal that I can do 12-8-7 chinups but barely 2 pullups? It feels like I have zero strenth once I switch to palms facing away and a wider grip (pullups are supposed to be wider than chinups right?)

Also any good tips how to prevent legs / hips to drive forward during either?


AFAIK, the only thing that defines a Pull-Up or a Chin-Up is how you grip with your hands. You don't have to grip extra-wide to make it a pull-up. If a real wide grip doesn't suit you, then just don't do it, you also wouldn't deadlift/squat/bench in an uncomfortable position just for the heck of it (maybe if you want to specifically train only your lats that is another story).


I dislike that logic.

It's equivalent of saying "Do dead-lift with bad technique because you can lift more weight."

Wide arm pull-ups do feel more natural, and they do train your lats more (overall I feel they do more for you than close-grip pull ups). If you can't do pull-ups, just use an assist. I have this problem as well, but if you keep working at it, you'll be able to do a good number of pull-ups in no time.


I thin it is a pretty big stretch to say that I just told him that bad technic is ok. Also, I am sure comfortable grip width is a highly individual matter.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Zingpow
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia3 Posts
December 05 2011 23:49 GMT
#14072
Yeah, you can do pull ups with all kinds of hand positioning depending on what you're aiming to achieve. If you're looking at doing them purely for functionality ie. to be able to pull yourself up from a hanging position in a real world situation I'd recommend close to or a little wider than shoulder width, whatever is most comfortable. If you are looking at targeting specific things do some research.

A great way to improve at doing pull ups (particularly if you struggle to do 1 or 2) is to do negatives ie. start at the top and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Bands are also an option.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Delarchon
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland132 Posts
December 06 2011 00:02 GMT
#14073
Anyone have experience with working out when slightly ill?
And if it is an absolute NO, when can i continue?

I am doing gym 3 times per week and cardio 2 times per week and having runny nose and cough but no fever.
What kind of sorcery is this?
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
December 06 2011 00:12 GMT
#14074
On December 06 2011 07:26 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2011 06:58 FiWiFaKi wrote:
On December 06 2011 06:29 Malinor wrote:
On December 06 2011 00:52 zatic wrote:
I know they are supposed to be easier, but it can't be normal that I can do 12-8-7 chinups but barely 2 pullups? It feels like I have zero strenth once I switch to palms facing away and a wider grip (pullups are supposed to be wider than chinups right?)

Also any good tips how to prevent legs / hips to drive forward during either?


AFAIK, the only thing that defines a Pull-Up or a Chin-Up is how you grip with your hands. You don't have to grip extra-wide to make it a pull-up. If a real wide grip doesn't suit you, then just don't do it, you also wouldn't deadlift/squat/bench in an uncomfortable position just for the heck of it (maybe if you want to specifically train only your lats that is another story).


I dislike that logic.

It's equivalent of saying "Do dead-lift with bad technique because you can lift more weight."

Wide arm pull-ups do feel more natural, and they do train your lats more (overall I feel they do more for you than close-grip pull ups). If you can't do pull-ups, just use an assist. I have this problem as well, but if you keep working at it, you'll be able to do a good number of pull-ups in no time.


I thin it is a pretty big stretch to say that I just told him that bad technic is ok. Also, I am sure comfortable grip width is a highly individual matter.


I suppose you're right. It just felt you were trying to make him change his technique because he couldn't do them very well. If it was an issue on the pull ups feeling weird, I'd totally agree with you and switching up the grip. But in his case I do feel it's more likely some muscles being underdeveloped.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 00:21:22
December 06 2011 00:20 GMT
#14075
Might also consider trying out neutral grip as well. First time I did neutral grip I could really feel my lats working hard, as opposed to my chin-ups.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
December 06 2011 00:44 GMT
#14076
I've relapsed into small portions b/c of college apps. Damnit, once january 1 is here it's time to beast things up.
Crawler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Estonia248 Posts
December 06 2011 02:40 GMT
#14077
On December 06 2011 09:02 Delarchon wrote:
Anyone have experience with working out when slightly ill?
And if it is an absolute NO, when can i continue?

I am doing gym 3 times per week and cardio 2 times per week and having runny nose and cough but no fever.


I was in exactly the same condition as you for almost a week but still went there and did my stuff. Even had a slight headache but managed to do everything. Just try to get enough sleep and go there if you certainly don't have fever in which case I would skip it.
FreezingAssassin
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States455 Posts
December 06 2011 05:06 GMT
#14078
Does anyone here know of any really really good super sets for the back? Mainly higher back area around shoulders? I've been going to gym for past 5-6~ months all my muscles get sore after workouts except the back... and it just frustrates me D:
"I love when stupid stuff happens, it makes me look smart" - IdrA
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
December 06 2011 05:21 GMT
#14079
So you want to workout to get sore?
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
FreezingAssassin
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States455 Posts
December 06 2011 05:24 GMT
#14080
Well yes, it at least lets me know that I strained the day before. Is there something wrong with working and hoping you feel sore the next day? I'm confused O_O
"I love when stupid stuff happens, it makes me look smart" - IdrA
Prev 1 702 703 704 705 706 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 212
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 625
Larva 80
NaDa 56
Leta 51
TT1 19
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm225
League of Legends
JimRising 690
Other Games
summit1g10174
WinterStarcraft424
Mew2King110
ViBE82
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1360
BasetradeTV243
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream150
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1099
• Lourlo797
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 2m
INu's Battles
8h 2m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
11h 2m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 2m
Replay Cast
19h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 7h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.