• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:30
CEST 17:30
KST 00:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20266Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10825 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 658

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 656 657 658 659 660 730 Next
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
October 28 2011 17:25 GMT
#13141
On October 28 2011 22:19 funkie wrote:
tic tac toe.

a co-worker (the only other designer here) just dropped this bomb on me:

"A nutritionist told me I shouldn't eat at night if I wanted to reduce weight, because it speeds up your metabolism".

? somebody please, tell me this isn't true.


read this, funkie:

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Diet Mythology
For the Swarm!
emjaytron
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia544 Posts
October 28 2011 22:44 GMT
#13142
On October 28 2011 20:23 emperorchampion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2011 19:01 emjaytron wrote:
increase overhead arm power but maintain shoulder health


Hmm, with regards to this point- what are you thinking of doing exercise wise? I guess I'm pretty interested in this as well.



At the moment I'm adding a few things to my workouts (the stuff I listed are my core exercises, I usually stagger them over the week.)

been doing external rotations with theraband as part of my warmup, and arm abduction (0-180 degrees) while i stand on the theraband. Also occasionally do reverse dumbell flys with 30lbs.
Seems to be fine at the moment, I guess its just about balancing muscles around the scapula as much as you can, and stretching pecs a lot
Grubby - SaSe - Oz - Hero
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
October 28 2011 22:56 GMT
#13143
On October 27 2011 11:21 Hurricane wrote:
I spent pretty much all of monday and today thinking of excuses to not go to the gym or not do my full work out. When gym time came I made myself go and I did my lifts.

Today went super well and I'm going to break my squat and DL PRs on Friday and it's going to be awesome.

I'm a psychic!

Squat 255lb 3x5 PR
Bench 215lb 3x5 PR
Deadlift 315lb 3x5 PR

yessssssssssssss
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 23:50:41
October 28 2011 23:49 GMT
#13144
Today was light (in volume) bench day:

BP: 90kg x3 (3 sec pause at bottom), 97.5kgx2 (3 sec pause at bottom), 105kg x2, 115kg x1 (PR, 1.5 Bodyweight).

Nothing to add, BP fucking personal record.
Long weekend w/o alcohol gonna be sad . Plus my uni gym is closed tomorrow and monday so I gotta find a new gym for those days. Going for 3 singles at 184kg tomorrow deadlift.
AndyJay
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia833 Posts
October 29 2011 00:07 GMT
#13145
Hey guys,

Joined the gym 5 days ago and feel better already. My main focus is to increase my power for soccer, and work on general health and fitness as well.

Currently I'm doing Starting Strength with cardio work on my rest days. Is this ok or would I better off doing cardio on a weight day? Not doing cardio isn't really an option because that's very important for soccer. Because I'm pretty unfit my cardio isn't very intensive, just 20-40mins run/cycle.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
October 29 2011 00:12 GMT
#13146
On October 29 2011 09:07 AndyJay wrote:
Hey guys,

Joined the gym 5 days ago and feel better already. My main focus is to increase my power for soccer, and work on general health and fitness as well.

Currently I'm doing Starting Strength with cardio work on my rest days. Is this ok or would I better off doing cardio on a weight day? Not doing cardio isn't really an option because that's very important for soccer. Because I'm pretty unfit my cardio isn't very intensive, just 20-40mins run/cycle.


I am not sure when its better to do cardio. However beware that at some point when u start lifting heavy and need more time to recover u won't be able to do weights 3x times + cardio + football practice. Then, I would start by ditching cardio.
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
October 29 2011 00:44 GMT
#13147

On October 29 2011 07:56 Hurricane wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2011 11:21 Hurricane wrote:
I spent pretty much all of monday and today thinking of excuses to not go to the gym or not do my full work out. When gym time came I made myself go and I did my lifts.

Today went super well and I'm going to break my squat and DL PRs on Friday and it's going to be awesome.

I'm a psychic!

Squat 255lb 3x5 PR
Bench 215lb 3x5 PR
Deadlift 315lb 3x5 PR

yessssssssssssss


Wow strong! How much do you weigh man?


On October 29 2011 08:49 GoTuNk! wrote:
Today was light (in volume) bench day:

BP: 90kg x3 (3 sec pause at bottom), 97.5kgx2 (3 sec pause at bottom), 105kg x2, 115kg x1 (PR, 1.5 Bodyweight).

Nothing to add, BP fucking personal record.
Long weekend w/o alcohol gonna be sad . Plus my uni gym is closed tomorrow and monday so I gotta find a new gym for those days. Going for 3 singles at 184kg tomorrow deadlift.


1.5bdw is real impressive. I have never done any 3 sec pause at bottom BP, why are you doing them and can you recommend them to anybody? And how are you doing them (as in just warmup or how many sets/reps)?
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
October 29 2011 00:45 GMT
#13148
175lbs, still trying to gain weight though,
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-29 00:48:49
October 29 2011 00:47 GMT
#13149
On October 29 2011 09:45 Hurricane wrote:
175lbs, still trying to gain weight though,


time to play catch up to me bro.

I'm 170-175lbs at the time. I'm lifting 270lbs on Squat. gogogo


On October 29 2011 02:25 Raidern wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2011 22:19 funkie wrote:
tic tac toe.

a co-worker (the only other designer here) just dropped this bomb on me:

"A nutritionist told me I shouldn't eat at night if I wanted to reduce weight, because it speeds up your metabolism".

? somebody please, tell me this isn't true.


read this, funkie:

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Diet Mythology



knew that shit couldnt be true. He has a friend whom sisters is a nutritionist and keeps saying shit like that.

she might be a hidden bro.

or something. no?
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
October 29 2011 00:52 GMT
#13150
I'm 170lbs and squatting 220lbs.

I will get you Hurricane.
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
October 29 2011 00:56 GMT
#13151
lol nope. I'm gonna pass funkie and catch decaf.

I'ts gonna happen.
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-29 00:59:25
October 29 2011 00:58 GMT
#13152
On October 29 2011 09:44 KOVU wrote:

Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 07:56 Hurricane wrote:
On October 27 2011 11:21 Hurricane wrote:
I spent pretty much all of monday and today thinking of excuses to not go to the gym or not do my full work out. When gym time came I made myself go and I did my lifts.

Today went super well and I'm going to break my squat and DL PRs on Friday and it's going to be awesome.

I'm a psychic!

Squat 255lb 3x5 PR
Bench 215lb 3x5 PR
Deadlift 315lb 3x5 PR

yessssssssssssss


Wow strong! How much do you weigh man?


Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 08:49 GoTuNk! wrote:
Today was light (in volume) bench day:

BP: 90kg x3 (3 sec pause at bottom), 97.5kgx2 (3 sec pause at bottom), 105kg x2, 115kg x1 (PR, 1.5 Bodyweight).

Nothing to add, BP fucking personal record.
Long weekend w/o alcohol gonna be sad . Plus my uni gym is closed tomorrow and monday so I gotta find a new gym for those days. Going for 3 singles at 184kg tomorrow deadlift.


1.5bdw is real impressive. I have never done any 3 sec pause at bottom BP, why are you doing them and can you recommend them to anybody? And how are you doing them (as in just warmup or how many sets/reps)?


I'm into powerlifting. I learnt powerlifting style bench press not so long ago (even though my technique isn't that good).
With powerlifting technique, u load ur pecs on the descent and relax (as possible) ur legs, arms and grip. At the bottom u drive with ur legs and transfer energy to ur lats with which u throw the weight up and basically use momentum to drive the bar of the chest, which is the hardest part of the lift. Its like a jerk with a static stomp laying down :p..
Bottom pauses help build explosiveness for the drive, but it only works with that technique. Pausing at the bottom doing regular BP will fry ur arms/shoulders so I wouldn't recommend it if u do traditional way (aka Starting Strength)

KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
October 29 2011 01:04 GMT
#13153
On October 29 2011 09:58 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 09:44 KOVU wrote:

On October 29 2011 07:56 Hurricane wrote:
On October 27 2011 11:21 Hurricane wrote:
I spent pretty much all of monday and today thinking of excuses to not go to the gym or not do my full work out. When gym time came I made myself go and I did my lifts.

Today went super well and I'm going to break my squat and DL PRs on Friday and it's going to be awesome.

I'm a psychic!

Squat 255lb 3x5 PR
Bench 215lb 3x5 PR
Deadlift 315lb 3x5 PR

yessssssssssssss


Wow strong! How much do you weigh man?


On October 29 2011 08:49 GoTuNk! wrote:
Today was light (in volume) bench day:

BP: 90kg x3 (3 sec pause at bottom), 97.5kgx2 (3 sec pause at bottom), 105kg x2, 115kg x1 (PR, 1.5 Bodyweight).

Nothing to add, BP fucking personal record.
Long weekend w/o alcohol gonna be sad . Plus my uni gym is closed tomorrow and monday so I gotta find a new gym for those days. Going for 3 singles at 184kg tomorrow deadlift.


1.5bdw is real impressive. I have never done any 3 sec pause at bottom BP, why are you doing them and can you recommend them to anybody? And how are you doing them (as in just warmup or how many sets/reps)?


I'm into powerlifting. I learnt powerlifting style bench press not so long ago (even though my technique isn't that good).
With powerlifting technique, u load ur pecs on the descent and relax (as possible) ur legs, arms and grip. At the bottom u drive with ur legs and transfer energy to ur lats with which u throw the weight up and basically use momentum to drive the bar of the chest, which is the hardest part of the lift. Its like a jerk with a static stomp laying down :p..
Bottom pauses help build explosiveness for the drive, but it only works with that technique. Pausing at the bottom doing regular BP will fry ur arms/shoulders so I wouldn't recommend it if u do traditional way (aka Starting Strength)



Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification.

Bench still my worst lift
emjaytron
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia544 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-29 01:29:55
October 29 2011 01:19 GMT
#13154
On October 29 2011 09:07 AndyJay wrote:
Hey guys,

Joined the gym 5 days ago and feel better already. My main focus is to increase my power for soccer, and work on general health and fitness as well.

Currently I'm doing Starting Strength with cardio work on my rest days. Is this ok or would I better off doing cardio on a weight day? Not doing cardio isn't really an option because that's very important for soccer. Because I'm pretty unfit my cardio isn't very intensive, just 20-40mins run/cycle.


The best possible cardio training for you as a soccer player is interval training, certainly the most specific. You can do yourself more good in like 15 minutes of repeated sprints and agility training than 40 min of generic cardio..

Cycling is probably not that great for you to be honest.

Gym exercises I would recommend are powercleans but they are pretty advanced and you need to spend time on basic lifting technique first. In the meantime plyometrics are your best bet.

- squat jumps/box jumps
- stair sprints
- plyometric lunges (lunge then explode up and swap feet position in midair)

I'll find some stuff on youtube for you to show what I mean. SS lifts are good for anyone starting off but they will not be very specific for soccer because you don't want hypertrophy (size) just power



this is pretty advanced but its got some great movement patterns. combine speed work like this with strength exercises like squats and you'll be carving up that pitch in no time


the most applicable stuff for you out of this is anything involving a landing and quick transfer into another jump. not so much the plain standing jumps.
Grubby - SaSe - Oz - Hero
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
October 29 2011 03:15 GMT
#13155
To add to above, keep doing SS then plyometrics.

1) You need well conditioned joints which lifting heavy provides
2) You need a good base strength for plyo to be useful. Plyo helps to generate power, but if you aren't strong you will be limited by the maximum power you can generate.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/12/a-primer-on-plyometrics/
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
October 29 2011 03:20 GMT
#13156
Fucked up my revenge deadlift workout. Barely got the first rep of 225kg up. Only positive thing about it that it was about 12 seconds long and I didn't pussy out until just at the end (a slight improvement where I bailed when it got to my knees the second rep) and TEAM GEÐBRÆÐUR (team insanitybrothers) nodded their approval.

Being approved by TEAM GEÐBRÆÐUR is a rare honour.

Proper course of action will be taken (wether I just bail on Coan/Philipi and say 217kg -> 225kg x 2 a good enough improvement or just try for the third time) will be done when I sober up.

Note that this drunk post is I believe the second ever I've posted in TL HF ever.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
October 29 2011 20:45 GMT
#13157
Obviously you need to drink more then :p
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 29 2011 20:54 GMT
#13158
holy shit, halloween is awesome....

been drinking from 2 PM all the way until 5 AM LOL

Going to hit the gym tomorrow, after/if I wake up
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-29 22:29:20
October 29 2011 22:23 GMT
#13159
Did a Deadlift test-workout for the 5/3/1 Programm. Holy cow, that was way harder than I expected:

Deadlift: 100x4, 120x2, 136x5, 157.5x5 178.5x9 85x10-10-10-10-10 The five sets at 85kg at the end of the work-out sound so easy, but damn that's a lot of reps.

And Power Clean: 90kg 2-2 PR, yay. Fucked my shoulder up a little bit during the press yesterday, so couldn't do much volume on PCs.

"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-29 22:25:20
October 29 2011 22:23 GMT
#13160
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
squat 205lbs : 5-3 and just because i figured i may as well do my 3rd set, -1.
☺
Prev 1 656 657 658 659 660 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 338
OGKoka 260
Codebar 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40720
Calm 3844
Shuttle 1918
Bisu 1629
FanTaSy 1456
Mini 1103
Soma 701
Rush 581
EffOrt 477
Stork 328
[ Show more ]
Light 296
actioN 282
Snow 249
Hyuk 246
firebathero 210
ZerO 209
Dewaltoss 106
Zeus 85
Barracks 80
hero 71
Sea.KH 51
Shinee 48
Killer 46
Pusan 36
Sharp 36
Hyun 35
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 29
Free 26
Shine 20
Yoon 20
Aegong 18
PianO 17
HiyA 16
sorry 16
zelot 15
yabsab 13
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7710
Dendi1002
League of Legends
KnowMe41
Counter-Strike
x6flipin674
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes553
Other Games
singsing2300
hiko1591
B2W.Neo357
byalli269
mouzStarbuck203
Livibee199
Liquid`VortiX186
Hui .169
Beastyqt136
Mew2King69
Trikslyr59
RotterdaM23
Rex19
ZerO(Twitch)15
FrodaN0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV248
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV248
League of Legends
• Nemesis2683
Other Games
• Shiphtur549
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 45m
Replay Cast
7h 30m
OSC
1d 7h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 18h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.