• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7314 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 598

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 596 597 598 599 600 730 Next
Civilkurage
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden11 Posts
September 19 2011 15:29 GMT
#11941
Hey TL!

So I recently renewed my membership at the local gym, and got a free coaching lesson out of the deal. (Hagglehagglehaggle!) This was great, I thought, since I've recently started squatting (about a month ago) and wanted to review my techique.

This is what he told me:

1. My stance was too wide. (He said I should keep 'em shoulder width apart)
2 My toes was pointing too far out (He said that they should preferably point straight forward.) This feels odd and unnatural to me. Should this really be the case?
3 And this is the big one: my knees come forward too much. This feels important, but what should I do NOT to make them come forward? (I think my calves might be the issue here, the'yre just so tight.)

SO what do you guys think? I'll try to post a video when I can. I feel unceartain about 1 and 2, is he really correct?
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 16:12:38
September 19 2011 15:32 GMT
#11942
I was debating between posting here or starting a new thread but hopefully some people here can help me out. I did read the OP btw.

Some background: I am a big guy, always have been. I am 6'3 and about 270 or so. I have played sports my whole life all the way through college and although I was still around 250 or so, I was in pretty decent shape.

The problem: I graduated about 2 years ago and haven't been working out nearly enough or eating as well as I did when I was playing sports for hours and hours every day. I have since shot up in weight and my fitness level is pathetic and I eat like shit.

The solution: This is where I need the help. I am not worried about starting to lift/work out again, that is the easy part for me and I rather enjoy it. My issue is dieting. I eat the worst food and I used to be able to 'get away with it' when I burned so many calories but that's no longer the case. I NEED to change my diet starting today. However I am a terrible cook and if something takes longer than 30 mins to make I won't do it. I need simple, healthy meals - the simpler the better. If I can get a basic plan for breakfast and lunch together and just have to really worry about cooking dinner than would be fantastic.

TL;DR version below

+ Show Spoiler +

Age: 26 || Height: 6'3" || Weight: 270 lbs
Starting Date: 9/19/11 || Goal Date: 12/25/11
Weight goals -- Want to lose 20-30 lbs or as much as possible
Training goals -- Will be working out 6 days a week
Nutrition goals -- This is where I need the help, I REALLY need to eat better
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
brotosterone
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States260 Posts
September 19 2011 15:34 GMT
#11943
On September 20 2011 00:29 Civilkurage wrote:
Hey TL!

So I recently renewed my membership at the local gym, and got a free coaching lesson out of the deal. (Hagglehagglehaggle!) This was great, I thought, since I've recently started squatting (about a month ago) and wanted to review my techique.

This is what he told me:

1. My stance was too wide. (He said I should keep 'em shoulder width apart)
2 My toes was pointing too far out (He said that they should preferably point straight forward.) This feels odd and unnatural to me. Should this really be the case?
3 And this is the big one: my knees come forward too much. This feels important, but what should I do NOT to make them come forward? (I think my calves might be the issue here, the'yre just so tight.)

SO what do you guys think? I'll try to post a video when I can. I feel unceartain about 1 and 2, is he really correct?


Stance should be where you are comfortable, but generally a little wider than shoulder width. Powerlifting style is quite wide.

Toes pointing outward is good. Pointing them straight forward is awkward and not natural.

You definitely do NOT want your knees coming forward too much. This is done by sitting back and start the motion with your hips, not your knees. This is difficult to explain, but sitting back is very important.

decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 19 2011 16:01 GMT
#11944
On September 19 2011 15:18 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
Congratulations Decaf! You have excelled in the Olympic lifts so fast. What is your bodyweight at right now? Are you competing in the 105kg- class?

Today's workout:

95kgx3x10 squats
Clean and Jerk to max (just went to 65kg, still not comfortable dipping to catch the bar, still power jerking because split jerk hurts my shoulder)
65kgx5x5 push press

My legs were shaky and I felt like throwing up at the end of my third set of squats. This was my first time ever doing 3x10, and god damn it's intense. Felt good as fuck.


94kg class still...weighed in at 92.7 T_T

Also, see funkie's post :-p BTW really weird that you can power jerk but not split jerk cause of a shoulder issue.

On September 19 2011 18:38 feanor1 wrote:
Jake
Age: 20 || Height: 6'6" || Weight: 190 lbs
Starting Date: 9/20/2011 || Goal Date: 12/31/2011
Weight goals -- 200lbs
Training goals -- 195 lbs Bench
Not sure on other benchmarks
Nutrition goals -- Eating enough to gain mass, IE not skipping meals when i am busy

I have been working out for a little under a year with a couple of friends, but I really want to actually get serious about gaining some mass and strength. Haven't been following any system or anything. Making it once or twice a week doing bench(Pyramid 8, 6, 4, 2, 1), curls(3X10), shrugs, preacher curls, dumbbell Triceps extension, maybe varying a biceps exercise.

I put on around 15 pounds in the last year, my one rep bench max went from 125 to 175, and i can now do 3x5 bench at 135. Anyhow at 6'6" i would still like to put on quite a bit more weight, but really dont have all that much experience lifting. Any tips would be appreciated, I plan one going to the gym 3-4days a week(holding off on Cardio atm so I don't have to eat myself into a coma). PMs or replies.
Thanks
Also is 20 pounds gain in bench a reasonable goal is it too low???


Check out and do the starting strength program listed in the OP. You have a massive amount of weight/strength you can put on very fast simply by doing some real workouts, your current one is seriously the least practical thing i have ever heard of :-p Also start eating waaaaaaaay more.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 19 2011 16:08 GMT
#11945
On September 20 2011 00:29 Civilkurage wrote:
Hey TL!

So I recently renewed my membership at the local gym, and got a free coaching lesson out of the deal. (Hagglehagglehaggle!) This was great, I thought, since I've recently started squatting (about a month ago) and wanted to review my techique.

This is what he told me:

1. My stance was too wide. (He said I should keep 'em shoulder width apart)
2 My toes was pointing too far out (He said that they should preferably point straight forward.) This feels odd and unnatural to me. Should this really be the case?
3 And this is the big one: my knees come forward too much. This feels important, but what should I do NOT to make them come forward? (I think my calves might be the issue here, the'yre just so tight.)

SO what do you guys think? I'll try to post a video when I can. I feel unceartain about 1 and 2, is he really correct?


Video would be a good idea

Here's general squat technique stuff
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Your feet are shoulder width apart and slightly toed out.
2. Head up, looking slightly above parallel.
3. Don’t look down! Ground is in peripheral vision only!
4. Accentuate the normal arch of the lumbar curve while pulling the excess arch out of the abs.
5. Keep midsection very tight.
6. Send your butt and your back down.
7. Knees track over the line of the foot.
8. Don’t let knees roll over inside of foot.
9. Keep your weight on your heels as much as possible.
10. STAY OFF THE BALLS OF THE FEET!
11. Delay forward travel of the knees as much as possible.
12. Lift your arms up and out as you descend.
13. Elongated torso.
14. Send hands as far away from butt as possible.
15. In profile, the ear does not move forward during the squat, only straight down.
16. Don’t just sink into the squat, pull yourself down with your hip flexors.
17. Don’t let the lumbar curve surrender as you settle into the bottom.
18. Stop when the fold of the hip is below the crease of the knee. Break parallel with your thighs.
19. Squeeeeeeeze glutes and hammies, rise without any leaning forward or shifting of balance.
20. Return on the exact same path as you descended.
21. Use every bit of musculature you can, no part of the body is left uninvolved.
22. On rising, without moving the feet, exert pressure to the outside of your feet as though you were trying to separate the ground beneath you.
23. At the top of the stroke, stand as tall as possible.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 19 2011 16:14 GMT
#11946
On September 20 2011 00:32 Charger wrote:
I was debating between posting here or starting a new thread but hopefully some people here can help me out. I did read the OP btw.

Some background: I am a big guy, always have been. I am 6'3 and about 270 or so. I have played sports my whole life all the way through college and although I was still around 250 or so, I was in pretty decent shape.

The problem: I graduated about 2 years ago and haven't been working out nearly enough or eating as well as I did when I was playing sports for hours and hours every day. I have since shot up in weight and my fitness level is pathetic and I eat like shit.

The solution: This is where I need the help. I am not worried about starting to lift/work out again, that is the easy part for me and I rather enjoy it. My issue is dieting. I eat the worst food and I used to be able to 'get away with it' when I burned so many calories but that's no longer the case. I NEED to change my diet starting today. However I am a terrible cook and if something takes longer than 30 mins to make I won't do it. I need simple, healthy meals - the simpler the better. If I can get a basic plan for breakfast and lunch together and just have to really worry about cooking dinner than would be fantastic.

TL;DR version - Overweight, need help with my diet.


I provided some links in the OP about this stuff in the nutrition section....

Throwing a steak/meat/fish on the stove takes no more than 10 minutes.... same with cooking eggs in the morning. Eat fruit on the side.

Crock pot is easy to make meals with veggies, meat, spices thrown in.

etc.

Also, eating cheaper (which someone else in this thread wanted too):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61709
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
September 19 2011 16:20 GMT
#11947
On September 20 2011 01:14 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 00:32 Charger wrote:
I was debating between posting here or starting a new thread but hopefully some people here can help me out. I did read the OP btw.

Some background: I am a big guy, always have been. I am 6'3 and about 270 or so. I have played sports my whole life all the way through college and although I was still around 250 or so, I was in pretty decent shape.

The problem: I graduated about 2 years ago and haven't been working out nearly enough or eating as well as I did when I was playing sports for hours and hours every day. I have since shot up in weight and my fitness level is pathetic and I eat like shit.

The solution: This is where I need the help. I am not worried about starting to lift/work out again, that is the easy part for me and I rather enjoy it. My issue is dieting. I eat the worst food and I used to be able to 'get away with it' when I burned so many calories but that's no longer the case. I NEED to change my diet starting today. However I am a terrible cook and if something takes longer than 30 mins to make I won't do it. I need simple, healthy meals - the simpler the better. If I can get a basic plan for breakfast and lunch together and just have to really worry about cooking dinner than would be fantastic.

TL;DR version - Overweight, need help with my diet.


I provided some links in the OP about this stuff in the nutrition section....

Throwing a steak/meat/fish on the stove takes no more than 10 minutes.... same with cooking eggs in the morning. Eat fruit on the side.

Crock pot is easy to make meals with veggies, meat, spices thrown in.

etc.

Also, eating cheaper (which someone else in this thread wanted too):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61709


Oh god I'm one of those posters...my apologies. I skimmed right over a very helpful couple of links! Thanks for the additional link as well.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
September 19 2011 16:36 GMT
#11948
On September 20 2011 00:32 Charger wrote:
I was debating between posting here or starting a new thread but hopefully some people here can help me out. I did read the OP btw.

Some background: I am a big guy, always have been. I am 6'3 and about 270 or so. I have played sports my whole life all the way through college and although I was still around 250 or so, I was in pretty decent shape.

The problem: I graduated about 2 years ago and haven't been working out nearly enough or eating as well as I did when I was playing sports for hours and hours every day. I have since shot up in weight and my fitness level is pathetic and I eat like shit.

The solution: This is where I need the help. I am not worried about starting to lift/work out again, that is the easy part for me and I rather enjoy it. My issue is dieting. I eat the worst food and I used to be able to 'get away with it' when I burned so many calories but that's no longer the case. I NEED to change my diet starting today. However I am a terrible cook and if something takes longer than 30 mins to make I won't do it. I need simple, healthy meals - the simpler the better. If I can get a basic plan for breakfast and lunch together and just have to really worry about cooking dinner than would be fantastic.

TL;DR version below

+ Show Spoiler +

Age: 26 || Height: 6'3" || Weight: 270 lbs
Starting Date: 9/19/11 || Goal Date: 12/25/11
Weight goals -- Want to lose 20-30 lbs or as much as possible
Training goals -- Will be working out 6 days a week
Nutrition goals -- This is where I need the help, I REALLY need to eat better

That's the beauty about real food - you don't know how to cook at all and it will still taste great. Really, the basics are dead simple:

Throw some meat in a heated pan with some cooking fat or oil.
Throw some veggies in a pot with little water (or wine, hmm).
For the extra lazy, throw everything in one big pan, still works. Add salt and pepper, done.

Start with this:
On medium heat, cook some onions in a big pan with butter until they get soft
Put in a pork cut (preferably with bone)
Slice up one apple (bite size slices) and put that in too
Add salt and pepper
Done (total 15 minutes)

Also have a look here http://paleodietlifestyle.com/quick-paleo-meals/
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Crawler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Estonia248 Posts
September 19 2011 16:40 GMT
#11949
My first week in gym went pretty ok except for one thing... My power clean is really terrible. I have googled and watched tons of clips from youtube but I just can't copy them

I found a clip that shows perfectly how I power clean:


Would like to get some additional tips and maybe some really good guide for complete beginner.
AsnSensation
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany24009 Posts
September 19 2011 16:57 GMT
#11950
Hey Guys Im really glad I found this thread which made me realize that all this 12 reps for toning is appearantly bullshit, so I'd like to start the SS, what confused me abit is the cardo part which supposedly is useless, as well? So I just wanted to know if there is actually anything nonbeneficial in throwing in a cardio part after the workout since I like to spend 30mins on the treadmill after lifting weights.

My goal is to lose weight btw. I managed to lose 15kg last year with my "own freestyle" tactic but unfortunately I gained most of it again because I was really lazy the past year because of poker, sc2 etc this time I'd like to have a more systematic approach so I'd be happy if someone can answer my "cardio good/bad after workout" question.

thx
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
September 19 2011 16:59 GMT
#11951
the MAIN reason people dont do cardio after SS is because it slows down progress significantly. but if youre not worried about big numbers and wanna burn some extra calories, go ahead and do some cardio after your workout.

HIIT would be preferable though
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 19 2011 17:34 GMT
#11952
On September 20 2011 01:40 Crawler wrote:
My first week in gym went pretty ok except for one thing... My power clean is really terrible. I have googled and watched tons of clips from youtube but I just can't copy them

I found a clip that shows perfectly how I power clean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odh_7PndtM8

Would like to get some additional tips and maybe some really good guide for complete beginner.


post a video of your form!
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
September 19 2011 17:37 GMT
#11953
On September 19 2011 22:46 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 19:13 Earll wrote:
I sort of have the feeling that we are recommended away from eating bread, but my paleo~ish diet of basically only meat\fruits\vegetables and milk is getting pretty expensive, so I will probably add some bread to my diet. Was looking at some bread today which was like 20g protein 20g carbs (where 0.7g of them were from sugars?) Which seems pretty good to me? And eating one of those breads would also be like around half of my daily kcal.


Any type of grain/beans/etc. do not have protein that is readily absorbed for use for building muscle.

If you need carbs as stated beyond everything you should grab potatoes/sweet potatoes, white rice, gluten free oatmeal (although I've never heard of that one).

I prefer sweet potatoes or rice since they're relatively easy to get and prepare. Sweet potatoes are the best IMO especially with some cinnamon or cloves


Ah ok. Its not that I need more carbs (get enough of that from milk and fruits I guess) its more just that I was looking for a cheaper option. Eggs might be cheap though I guess. ate 1 full bread today though xD but thats ok.

Anyway. work out today was really fucked up. Not sure why. I just felt really... uncomfortable is the best word. Sort of nervous\bad about the whole ordeal. I dont know why. Partially because I felt sort of weak for some reason. (like I was sort of shaking doing bench press even with just the bar, or like when i was changing going down on my knees to change the weights of my deadlift, i could feel i sort of started to shake.)

I did do 2 squats of 57.5 kg or 60kg or something, which was supposed to be my new weight but it just felt really.. wrong and I ended up finishing at 50 or 55kg or something. Same with bench press I Also went slightly back on that. At least I didnt go back on the deadlift but i still was not at all happy with it.

Not sure what would cause this though, have been feeling good up untill this point pretty much. I am not at all happy with my form though and watched lots of videos yesterday which might have filled my head up too much. also only got like 4-5 hours of sleep which might have had some influence, and had a slight ehm. personal setback yesterday which might have had some influence on my lackluster performance. I dont know.

Thinking i will go again tomorrow though and either try to do the work out again for real, or just do lots of reps with no weights strictly to just perfect and get used to the form of the different moves, could this be a good idea?
Wat
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 17:42:30
September 19 2011 17:40 GMT
#11954
@AsnSensation
I don't think the point eshlow is trying to get across in the OP is that cardio is useless, more so that it's not necessary unless you're an endurance runner or something like that. If you wanna lose weight you'll do just fine eating right and lifting heavy. Eating is 90% anyway.

If you still would like to do cardio just because you enjoy it, or want to burn some extra calories, there probably isn't anything wrong with that. It's a useful tool to burn calories, but a lot of people seem to think it's a necessity to do cardio if you want to lose weight, which it isn't.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
September 19 2011 17:42 GMT
#11955
On September 20 2011 01:59 Zafrumi wrote:
the MAIN reason people dont do cardio after SS is because it slows down progress significantly. but if youre not worried about big numbers and wanna burn some extra calories, go ahead and do some cardio after your workout.

HIIT would be preferable though

Always HIIT, i did 5months of simple 2h skiing, didnt help anything in basketball at school gym lesson etc, pointless. HIIT will improve your sprints and explosion more.
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 19 2011 18:13 GMT
#11956
Doing my persuasive speech on Paleo tomorrow, could use some help clearing stuff up :D

So far my speech goes as following

Explain what Paleo is, explain the benefits (feel the way you are supposed to feel, cavemen were in WAY better shape than early peasants), split it up in nutrition & exercise

Do pro's and cons (Pro's you can eat bacon, cons no more pasta and bran muffins)

Explain WHY grains/high carb is unnecessary and even bad

Talk about why we don't need the fiber & Vit. B grains offer us

Exercise:

The way we used to exercise and how most of paleo (lots of meat, fish & eggs) is already a staple in any serious athlete's diet

Why carb-loading is useful is certain sports, but that's optimal nutrition for sub-optimal exercise


Why Paleo people take these supplements, despite their food being so healthy


Need to fill about five minutes. Anything you guys would like to add? Funny quotes/punchlines? I figured I'd go with 'Thank you for your five minutes, if you let me, I'll give you back five years'


Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 19 2011 18:20 GMT
#11957
@Earll

Here is a common day for food for me (based off of phyre's diet :p):

4 eggs
2 bananas
1.5 cups of milk

(work out)

300g chicken
veggies
2 cups of milk

300g beef
~4-5 potatoes
veggies
1.5 cups of milk

1/2 cup nuts
can of tuna

This has been costing me around $60 CDN/wk, I've calculated it to be 200+g of protein and ~3500cal per day.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 19 2011 18:40 GMT
#11958
On September 20 2011 03:13 BouBou.865 wrote:
Doing my persuasive speech on Paleo tomorrow, could use some help clearing stuff up :D

So far my speech goes as following

Explain what Paleo is, explain the benefits (feel the way you are supposed to feel, cavemen were in WAY better shape than early peasants), split it up in nutrition & exercise

Do pro's and cons (Pro's you can eat bacon, cons no more pasta and bran muffins)

Explain WHY grains/high carb is unnecessary and even bad

Talk about why we don't need the fiber & Vit. B grains offer us

Exercise:

The way we used to exercise and how most of paleo (lots of meat, fish & eggs) is already a staple in any serious athlete's diet

Why carb-loading is useful is certain sports, but that's optimal nutrition for sub-optimal exercise


Why Paleo people take these supplements, despite their food being so healthy


Need to fill about five minutes. Anything you guys would like to add? Funny quotes/punchlines? I figured I'd go with 'Thank you for your five minutes, if you let me, I'll give you back five years'




Don't forget this picture
[image loading]
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Crawler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Estonia248 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 18:50:32
September 19 2011 18:41 GMT
#11959
On September 20 2011 02:34 AoN.DimSum wrote:
post a video of your form!


Good idea, I'll check the quality of my phone and maybe record few squats, power cleans etc this week.

EDIT: Btw last week was my first gym week in ~3 years and did half of these exercises first time in my life :D There won't really be any form to show
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 19 2011 18:51 GMT
#11960
There's a time for being awesome and there's a time for being graded decaf It's only speech, no pictures/powerpoint.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
Prev 1 596 597 598 599 600 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.