• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:10
CEST 22:10
KST 05:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8090 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 592

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 590 591 592 593 594 730 Next
pyrogenetix
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
China5098 Posts
September 17 2011 05:23 GMT
#11821
Would like to say that bodyweight work is going good.

Increases
Chinups 7 - 10
Pullups 6 - 8
Dips 5 - 9
Incline diamond pushups 8 - 12 (these are bitches)
Pistol squats 5 - 10 (left leg assisted cuz my left is weak)

random abs work

Gonna try find somewhere to start doing GHR's cuz I know they are really good.

Hope other bodyweight guys are doing good =D
Yea that looks just like Kang Min... amazing game sense... and uses mind games well, but has the micro of a washed up progamer.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 17 2011 05:40 GMT
#11822
This is insane that it's working. Laugh all you want but I decided to try this.

Carry 75lb of weights in my military grade school backpack. Pretty much I walk 30 minutes home with this, on top of the 35lbs of my 6 textbooks, 2 binders, and a laptop. Carrying it between classes and the long walk home has been doing wonders for my deadlift, really strengthening the core.

Only thing I make sure to do is while walking home or to school, I wear my pants higher and tighten the belt a lot to prevent my muscles and organs from coming out of my body (see Ronnie Coleman). Tbh I'm not sure how necessary it is, and I have enough available space to put another 25lb plate, but at that point carrying it is too much.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-17 06:06:47
September 17 2011 06:04 GMT
#11823
I defer to eshlow/others more knowledgeable than me of course, but I don't think there is any backpack out there that carries weight in such a way that it is useful as a workout without risking injury/damage. This is probably straining your lower back in a way that could cause you harm down the road.

Edit: Also, really shit workout today. Added 10 lbs again to squat (yay), re-tried and re-failed the weight on OHP from last session (boo), and didn't even do PC because my ankle feels really shitty last two days (even more boo).
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 17 2011 06:09 GMT
#11824
On September 17 2011 15:04 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I defer to eshlow/others more knowledgeable than me of course, but I don't think there is any backpack out there that carries weight in such a way that it is useful as a workout without risking injury/damage. This is probably straining your lower back in a way that could cause you harm down the road.


It has a strap at the bottom to keep it in place and not shaking around too much, and it almost looks like a gigantic lunch box (where there is a compartment at the bottom) and so far I do not feel any pain. My squat improved by 40lbs in two weeks and I would contribute some of it to this backpack.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 17 2011 06:25 GMT
#11825
@decaf, wow that guy is fast! A bit rough on the technique though. Definitely a guy to watch for!

If you guys want to see a big squat, i was recording
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=285223924825756

by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 17 2011 06:41 GMT
#11826
I hit 2800 calories today. And that was so much.

How do you guys do it? :/
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-17 06:54:22
September 17 2011 06:53 GMT
#11827
Tried snatching (power snatching I guess) for the first time today. My form is absolute trash I know, but I was hoping for some feedback.
+ Show Spoiler +

Off the blocks at like 25kg:



From the floor at 50kg:



Cheers.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 17 2011 07:18 GMT
#11828
Not bad, get your shoulders over the bar. Also slide your feet out and try not to donkey kick.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
September 17 2011 07:18 GMT
#11829
How do you work out while traveling (domestically?) My hotel has a 4 cardio machines, not even the sets of 50 lb dumbbells my last hotel had. I don't travel a lot, so no membership with 24 or other big chains.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
September 17 2011 07:24 GMT
#11830
On September 17 2011 16:18 AoN.DimSum wrote:
Not bad, get your shoulders over the bar. Also slide your feet out and try not to donkey kick.


Thanks a lot! Greg Everett's book has an excellent progression that I've been following with a PVC pipe in my room. I think I'll work on the foot drills a little bit more to get rid of my silly donkey kick next.

Also, I don't really feel like I'm being too aggressive in getting under the bar in the third pull. You probably noticed that in my 50kg snatch, I had a small pressout at the end. I gotta pull myself under better.

Anyway, next time I'll do a full overhead squat from the receiving position to practice my balance. I really enjoyed snatching today (minus the part when I thrusted my dick into the barbell as part of a mistimed second pull ) so I'm hoping to keep improving. More form videos incoming, so I'd appreciate some analysis.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 17 2011 07:40 GMT
#11831
Yeah you do press out a bit, just need to drop a bit more. I would just work on full snatches, power snatches will not teach you to drop. Ill look at it more tomorrow, its a bit late
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Ohnoes92
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden76 Posts
September 17 2011 10:23 GMT
#11832
Just realized that the first time I tried to DL 90kg I had put on 100kg, and not 90kg.
That was probably why it felt so damn heavy and I only managed to do one rep :S


Ohai!
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
September 17 2011 11:46 GMT
#11833
On September 17 2011 12:46 Froadac wrote:
SO... went to highschool. Interesting stuff ensued.

Background: school has 2.5k people.

Walk into weights room. Some football team people are there, most are at practice. And then some stupid assholes for the most part. Don't know half of em.

Lifting coach was in there. Didn't really know the guy. Knew he taught weights... in any case.

So I start squatting (110 pounds lol) but he liked my form. He said that was really good, and although he said I was the smallest person to ever be in the weights room (know the guy is real funny) he said I was putting forth good effort. Helped me out. With deadlift pointed out I'm rounding back a little bit.

And in the most awkward thing known to man, guy said 'look, this guy knows what he's doing. WHy don't you guys stop doing bullshit bicep curls and do this..."

And they all just looked, and looked away.

In any case, he said I"m ok to use it whenever it's open for semi public use. Which during football season is not terribly often.

Also said he was a backup for US olympic powerlifting team (now is like 60)

He said he will help me with powercleans too >.>

He too advised me to "eat more stuff"


LOL this is awesome! Getting 3k+ calories is just practice if you aren't used to it.


"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
jjhchsc2
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)2393 Posts
September 17 2011 11:53 GMT
#11834
On September 17 2011 14:23 pyrogenetix wrote:
Would like to say that bodyweight work is going good.

Increases
Chinups 7 - 10
Pullups 6 - 8
Dips 5 - 9
Incline diamond pushups 8 - 12 (these are bitches)
Pistol squats 5 - 10 (left leg assisted cuz my left is weak)

random abs work

Gonna try find somewhere to start doing GHR's cuz I know they are really good.

Hope other bodyweight guys are doing good =D


yea me too.
how long have you been doing those workouts for?
remember to add weight if the reps are getting high. like 9-10+
Lee Ssang/ Lee Shin/ Kim Jung Woo/ Kim Min Chul/Jun Tae Yang/Park Soo Ho/Lee Jung Hoon/Choi Sung Hoon/ Moon Sung Won/Park Ji Soo/ Lee Ho Joon/ Jang Min Chul/ Kim Seung Chul/SaSe/IdrA/Ret Fighting! BW4Life
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
September 17 2011 12:09 GMT
#11835
On September 17 2011 14:40 FiWiFaKi wrote:
This is insane that it's working. Laugh all you want but I decided to try this.

Carry 75lb of weights in my military grade school backpack. Pretty much I walk 30 minutes home with this, on top of the 35lbs of my 6 textbooks, 2 binders, and a laptop. Carrying it between classes and the long walk home has been doing wonders for my deadlift, really strengthening the core.

Only thing I make sure to do is while walking home or to school, I wear my pants higher and tighten the belt a lot to prevent my muscles and organs from coming out of my body (see Ronnie Coleman). Tbh I'm not sure how necessary it is, and I have enough available space to put another 25lb plate, but at that point carrying it is too much.


I don't get what you mean with "preventing muscles and organs coming out of your body", you mean roid gut? If yes, rest assured Ronnie Coleman has a huge gut because of HGH. Look at Arnold, back then they didn't abuse HGH afaik.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 17 2011 14:46 GMT
#11836
Eschlow, I woke up this morning (had like 5-6 drinks last night) with crazy cramps in my left calf. The pain still hasn't completely gone away, although I can walk, just not painless. Should I be worried? Anything I can do to speed up recovery?
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 17 2011 14:54 GMT
#11837
On September 17 2011 14:40 FiWiFaKi wrote:
This is insane that it's working. Laugh all you want but I decided to try this.

Carry 75lb of weights in my military grade school backpack. Pretty much I walk 30 minutes home with this, on top of the 35lbs of my 6 textbooks, 2 binders, and a laptop. Carrying it between classes and the long walk home has been doing wonders for my deadlift, really strengthening the core.

Only thing I make sure to do is while walking home or to school, I wear my pants higher and tighten the belt a lot to prevent my muscles and organs from coming out of my body (see Ronnie Coleman). Tbh I'm not sure how necessary it is, and I have enough available space to put another 25lb plate, but at that point carrying it is too much.


Generally, carrying heavy backpacks are not a good idea. There's been a bunch of research done on this in children and it doesn't look good because it modifies gait and posture a lot.

If you wanna do farmers walk and stuff do them in the gym....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12671488
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12942009
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16670549
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11805666
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15211269
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19369725
etc.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 17 2011 14:54 GMT
#11838
On September 17 2011 13:37 shinosai wrote:
Eshlow, I have a curiosity. Having read an earlier post of yours, you said that lifting weights is the most effective way for people to lose weight. If they are extremely fat, they burn fat in order to fuel muscle building. In another thread on another forum, a person contradicted this for obese people and said this:

Show nested quote +
"You're confusing apples and oranges. Making strength gains and gaining lean muscle are not synonymous. I never said that obese people can't make strength gains.

But gaining strength does NOT mean someone is putting on lean muscle pounds. Someone who is extremely obese is likely to NOT put on (much if any) lean muscle at first, even though they are making strength gains. The lean muscle they have is being re-purposed, and if they are putting on any muscle in some areas, it's offset losing lean muscle in others. Read the entire series (I think there are 3 articles in the series).

Don't confuse strength gain with adding pounds of muscle - they're not (always) the same - especially for those of us who are (were) obese. "


Who is right, here? I'm just curious if what this person says is true or not.

Also, sorry I'm always bombarding you with questions... You're just so smart!


This is incorrect.

Obese people, in general, have not made any adaptations towards exercise. Therefore, any type of stimulus, especially one of weights, is going to be able to force enough damage in the muscles to provide a hypertrophy response.

SAID principle -- Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands.

There is some stuff about how most of the gains in the initial 3-4 weeks of lean tissue is not muscle mass but just through strength gains. Regardless, any increase in lean mass with a caloric deficit is going to be burning fat as energy to build lean tissues (and you need other lean tissue structures to support hypertrophy anyway so it's a moot point).

I would like to read the series of articles though if you can give me a link to that.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 17 2011 14:55 GMT
#11839
On September 17 2011 23:46 BouBou.865 wrote:
Eschlow, I woke up this morning (had like 5-6 drinks last night) with crazy cramps in my left calf. The pain still hasn't completely gone away, although I can walk, just not painless. Should I be worried? Anything I can do to speed up recovery?


Sounds like a dehydration issue?

Some electrolytes, especially magnesium, may be useful.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 17 2011 14:57 GMT
#11840
Ahhh going to lose my mind. bunch of health and fitness booths and I haven't seen a single "health food" advertised that wasn't a grain. will focus anger into my lifts ^_^
On September 17 2011 23:46 BouBou.865 wrote:
Eschlow, I woke up this morning (had like 5-6 drinks last night) with crazy cramps in my left calf. The pain still hasn't completely gone away, although I can walk, just not painless. Should I be worried? Anything I can do to speed up recovery?

hydrate.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Prev 1 590 591 592 593 594 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 50m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 50m
Stellar Fest
16h 50m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.