• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:38
CEST 02:38
KST 09:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8889 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 547

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 545 546 547 548 549 730 Next
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 03 2011 16:32 GMT
#10921
I think what reign meant is that you will be gaining muscle from bodyweight exercises.

If you have a playground nearby, you can do bodyweight exercises there. I like hanging leg raises and planks for core work.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 16:43:00
September 03 2011 16:36 GMT
#10922
On September 04 2011 01:31 dudeman001 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2011 01:18 Kurr wrote:
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I've started doing a bit of a daily exercise routine for the past couple of weeks to lose weight.

I'm not going to the gym (and I won't) and I'm not trying to gain muscles or anything; just trying to get a bit of daily thing going that I do in the morning before university and after coming back in the evening.

So far I'm mostly working on my legs because it's easier but I do push-ups and sit ups as well. I do repetitions and each week I add 5 or 10 repetitions to my routine (ie 20 squats to 30 or something) until I feel I hit a wall. I'm not adding too much repetitions since I do it twice a day every day.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is what besides sit-ups could I do for stomach workout (that I can do in my apartment without a machine)? I'm not really feeling it much with sit-ups so far... I could do more but I want to stick to my schedule of adding on reps as I go to not tire myself out too much. It's working out for my legs and arms but not for sit-ups.

I don't care if it's a strech or something, anything would be helpful.

Bicycles are great for your abdominal area. So are leg lifts and flutter kicks. Also, just in case you're doing situps with your arms over your chest: put your arms behind your head. And if you just want to make situps burn more, hold some kind of weight behind your head.


Thanks, I'll try to add leg lifts and flutter kicks for a while. As for my situps, I usually put my arms on the side of my body but I can try putting them behind my head in the future.

On September 04 2011 01:31 rEiGN~ wrote:
Forget about situps and pushups if you're trying to lose weight. I'd tell you to lift weights but that's a no go if you're afraid of gyms. Fix your diet and do cardio. See the first post.

edit: I'd like to add that if you insist on training your abs, do crunches instead of sit ups. They're more efficient.


I walk around 1-2 hour per day and I have already fixed my diet; I've haven't had too much of a hard time and it's been going well for a month now. I didn't ask about those because I'm comfortable enough with them.

I'm not trying to get muscles but getting I still want to be in better shape which is why I have the daily routine. I know I'll get a small amount of them but for me it's just losing weight and doing a small amount of exercise at the minimum each day.

As far as gyms go, it would need to be free because I can't afford to go to any. Besides, I started from 285 pounds last month (lost around 7 pounds so far) in pretty much the worst physical shape possible. No point going to a gym until I can build up a better routine.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
InfC.AnatoLiy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 16:59:12
September 03 2011 16:56 GMT
#10923
Already went from 222.4 to 212.6 in about 19-20 days. Is this "too fast"? That is also without me cutting mixed grain bread and orange juice, which I have started to cut as of yesterday. My target goal is 195 by the end of the month but is this too hasty?
Twitch.tv/D3AnatoLiy
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
September 03 2011 16:58 GMT
#10924
It's not to fast, you lose water at the beginning of the diet, so it goes quite quick.
Aim for one pound a week.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 03 2011 17:03 GMT
#10925
Kurr for losing weight it is all about eating healthy and doing cardio like walking etc.

If you are doing sit ups/push ups you ARE trying to get muscles, and push-ups are not much different from lifting weights. Notice it or not you are just doing exercises without weights rights now.

What I recommend for you though, is if you just want to strengthen your body overall and improve its endurance, do 15-20 reps of exercises you feel tired after. You wont be getting bigger really, but you wont feel like a paper stick. Without weights you can work your triceps + chest well with dips (just do as many as you can) and for biceps + back you can do chin-ups or pull ups, even better alternate them to get a better built is to alternate. Problem is, it is highly unlikely you will be able to do that many of those without doing them assisted (which once again you need a machine for).

At my job, we found a way to workout there when we're bored, we squat bags of flour, do all different kinds of push ups. we have this huge bucket to do deadlift with, you can find stuff around your house and try doing that.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 03 2011 17:08 GMT
#10926
On September 03 2011 15:44 decafchicken wrote:
Turns out decaf deals with his emotional issues with half whole milk half spiced rum. Love my milk.

Saw someone with a "friends dont let friends drink milk" bumper sticker. needless to say i was less than impressed with this person.


Go flip the car. We all know you can do it.

On September 03 2011 15:51 ShadowDrgn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 14:54 nemY wrote:
4) Power Cleans. I'm learning them but they are tricky. The most I've done so far is only 65lbs lol. Any tips on working on the form? I get that it's an RDL + well a hang clean, and I can do both fairly well independently of each other, but putting 2 + 2 together is where I struggle with it.


The biggest problem I had with cleans was trying to yank the bar off the floor and clean as fast as possible. It helped me a lot to do the movement as a controlled deadlift and only explode once the bar reached the pockets position. Hip drive, shoulder shrug, and catch the bar on your shoulders.


I was in the situation where I couldn't put the "Deadlift and Hang clean" together - I found that I wasn't really getting any hip extension. Try to emphasize that, then do the other two parts just... as well as you can, and see if it helps. Contrary to what Shadow wrote, I actually found it easier when I started pulling HARD (not fast, but "with strength") from the floor, and bringing the hips forward explosively once the bar hits just below mid thigh.

phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 03 2011 17:14 GMT
#10927
On September 04 2011 01:36 Kurr wrote:
I walk around 1-2 hour per day and I have already fixed my diet; I've haven't had too much of a hard time and it's been going well for a month now. I didn't ask about those because I'm comfortable enough with them.

I'm not trying to get muscles but getting I still want to be in better shape which is why I have the daily routine. I know I'll get a small amount of them but for me it's just losing weight and doing a small amount of exercise at the minimum each day.

As far as gyms go, it would need to be free because I can't afford to go to any. Besides, I started from 285 pounds last month (lost around 7 pounds so far) in pretty much the worst physical shape possible. No point going to a gym until I can build up a better routine.


Always better to do something than to do nothing. If body weight at home, with diet and walking is what you can handle atm, that's good. Keep that up, build up to doing more and more awesome things. Body weight Squats are going to get easy very quickly - your legs are strong. I would suggest you try out some kind of progression like THIS to build yourself towards a more difficult movement.

As far as training abs, situps are just about the most inefficient way to go about it. I personally like planks and L-sits (you can read about L-sits on the sit I just linked). Planks are easy enough to progress on too - you hold them for a longer time, then you raise one leg, then you put some kind of weight on your hips... could be anything from a weight plate, to a jug of milk, to (what I use at home) my textbooks. Nice to get my moneys worth out of them, you know?

I'd definitely recommend buying a chinup bar that you can put in your doorway, or like dimsum suggested goign to a playground near by. Dips and chinups and pullups are MUCH better for trainign the upper body than pushups, and it doesn't sound like you're interested in the big time gymnastic skills (planche and lever and etc)
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 17:31:25
September 03 2011 17:29 GMT
#10928
Again,

Nutrition is abut 80-85% of weight loss.

Lifting heavy weights or bodyweight strength training > intervals/circuit training > light weights = cardio > abs exercises for losing fat.

Unless you have specific endurance goals, you will not want to do much cardio if you have access to weights.

Lift heavy weights, or if you don't have access to a gym do bodyweight strength work or some type of interval work. These are more effective than cardio. Avoid light weights as they are ineffective. If after weights or interval work you want to add abs that's fine, but do not be under the illusion that abs work will help significantly because it won't.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
September 03 2011 17:31 GMT
#10929
Does anyone here do or tried fasted training? I'm starting with Leangains on monday and I'm putting my daily schedule together. I don't have a lot of classes so I'm pretty free to shift stuff around and I'm trying to decide if I'll go with the fasted training or with 1 pre-workout meal.
Snapplecakes
Profile Joined May 2011
Norway78 Posts
September 03 2011 17:34 GMT
#10930
i do fasted workout when i can, i get best results on my fasted workouts than when i eat a preworkout meal.. but i guess its abit individual, took me 2 weeks to get used to it though
SQUATS AND OATS!
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 03 2011 17:34 GMT
#10931
On September 04 2011 02:31 Logros wrote:
Does anyone here do or tried fasted training? I'm starting with Leangains on monday and I'm putting my daily schedule together. I don't have a lot of classes so I'm pretty free to shift stuff around and I'm trying to decide if I'll go with the fasted training or with 1 pre-workout meal.


I tend to function best eating about 1-2 hrs before workout. Some people like eating before workouts, or going 3+ hrs into them fasted. All depends on how you feel.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
September 03 2011 17:44 GMT
#10932
I guess I'll just try it out for a while and see how it goes .
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
September 03 2011 18:25 GMT
#10933
I usually train fasted since I have to get to the gym early and I'm doing IF.
I don't think there's a huge difference in how I feel immediately after compared to training later in the day after some food. Do whatever is more convenient for you

I think if you are training fasted, you can run out of energy a bit faster because your body is not processing any carbs. So something like 5x5 at your max weight may be more difficult. I could be wrong though, maybe it's all in my head ~_~
Official Entusman #21
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 03 2011 18:27 GMT
#10934
If anyone wants to post pictures of their body + how long they have been working out it would be cool. Hope it doesn't sound homo.

I really like seeing the progress, and also give a couple sentences of advice, so if there's a certain body type that you are a little fond of you can follow in their footsteps or whatever. Doesn't sound far fetched to me, although almost everyone is doing the same program here anyways.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
xJupiter9x
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 19:35:31
September 03 2011 19:34 GMT
#10935
Yesterday I squatted up to 2 reps at 275 since it's supposed to be either light squats or front squats. Then did 3x5@140 press then did 3x5 deadlift@315. Then did this to see how high i could go so far.

I used my brothers straps because my hands were already exhausted from the 3x5. but that is 375 lbs. or 170.5 Kgs

also what is the best way to strengthen grip quickly?
ShaLLoW[baY]
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada12499 Posts
September 03 2011 19:49 GMT
#10936
On September 04 2011 04:34 xJupiter9x wrote:
Yesterday I squatted up to 2 reps at 275 since it's supposed to be either light squats or front squats. Then did 3x5@140 press then did 3x5 deadlift@315. Then did this to see how high i could go so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsva2lFD4nw
I used my brothers straps because my hands were already exhausted from the 3x5. but that is 375 lbs. or 170.5 Kgs

also what is the best way to strengthen grip quickly?


Try sitting back to about parallel before you start, you seem to be straightening your legs really fast and pulling with mostly your back..it's something I do too, but if you can activate your quads/hams/glutes as you're starting the pull it gets a lot easier.

Also, use chalk instead of straps to work your grip a bit more? I find that using chalk, my grip still gets tired but not nearly as fast, maybe use it as an intermediate to straps?
ALEXISONFIRE ARE FUCKING BACK (sAviOr for life)
xJupiter9x
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States150 Posts
September 03 2011 19:55 GMT
#10937
On September 04 2011 04:49 ShaLLoW[baY] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2011 04:34 xJupiter9x wrote:
Yesterday I squatted up to 2 reps at 275 since it's supposed to be either light squats or front squats. Then did 3x5@140 press then did 3x5 deadlift@315. Then did this to see how high i could go so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsva2lFD4nw
I used my brothers straps because my hands were already exhausted from the 3x5. but that is 375 lbs. or 170.5 Kgs

also what is the best way to strengthen grip quickly?


Try sitting back to about parallel before you start, you seem to be straightening your legs really fast and pulling with mostly your back..it's something I do too, but if you can activate your quads/hams/glutes as you're starting the pull it gets a lot easier.

Also, use chalk instead of straps to work your grip a bit more? I find that using chalk, my grip still gets tired but not nearly as fast, maybe use it as an intermediate to straps?

I would use chalk, but I don't have any, and the YMCA is really retarded lol. So I wouldnt even be able to have it there anyway
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 03 2011 20:15 GMT
#10938
On September 04 2011 03:27 FiWiFaKi wrote:
If anyone wants to post pictures of their body + how long they have been working out it would be cool. Hope it doesn't sound homo.

I really like seeing the progress, and also give a couple sentences of advice, so if there's a certain body type that you are a little fond of you can follow in their footsteps or whatever. Doesn't sound far fetched to me, although almost everyone is doing the same program here anyways.

Funkie will castrate us if we don't post end november. End november this'll be NSFW I swear.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
caruso
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany733 Posts
September 03 2011 20:48 GMT
#10939
caruso
Age: 23 || Height: 173 cm || Weight: 65 kg
Starting Date: 03.09.2011 || Goal Date: 01.10.2011, 01.11.2011
Weight goals: 62 kg, 59 kg
Misc goals: get fucking sleeping cycle right.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 03 2011 21:13 GMT
#10940
On September 04 2011 05:15 BouBou.865 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2011 03:27 FiWiFaKi wrote:
If anyone wants to post pictures of their body + how long they have been working out it would be cool. Hope it doesn't sound homo.

I really like seeing the progress, and also give a couple sentences of advice, so if there's a certain body type that you are a little fond of you can follow in their footsteps or whatever. Doesn't sound far fetched to me, although almost everyone is doing the same program here anyways.

Funkie will castrate us if we don't post end november. End november this'll be NSFW I swear.


Beginning of november. Which is perfect, since everyone should be in the process of getting those ripped abs for their halloween costumes. Maybe I'll be an abercrombie model, for giggles.
Prev 1 545 546 547 548 549 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 22m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.