• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7250 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 546

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 544 545 546 547 548 730 Next
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 05:28:27
September 03 2011 05:28 GMT
#10901
On September 03 2011 14:06 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 13:47 Froadac wrote:
Question: which of the SS exercises involve the forearm? Because I they are still tiny, even though the rest of my body has grown significantly.


Just switch hands every so often when practicing autoeroticism.

...

No comment.
nemY
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States3119 Posts
September 03 2011 05:54 GMT
#10902
Hey guys!

Still around and been working out. Was inconsistent there for awhile, but I've been going hard for the past 3 weeks ^_^

I switched over from SL to SS because I find my workouts to be faster ~1hr vs ~1hr 45 minutes and + Show Spoiler +
I'm a pussy when it comes to doing 5 sets of squats
and I really enjoy the workouts

A few problems I've been having:

1) Squats. I get stuck at 185. Dunno why, but my form usually breaks down and I miss reps. I reset and went down to 150 to try and work on my form, but that shit feels pretty easy.

2) Press. I get stuck at 100 lbs. I can do 95 np (ok it's usually a lot of work, but I get it done), but I can't seem to get over the hump of triple digits.

3) DL. I just got to be super careful because I have the tendency to raise my hips up too fast and pull with my lower back. Anybody that's pulled with their lower back knows what this does. I was up at 270 at one point, but I've dropped back down to 220, because fuuuuck I think I would have wrecked my back in the long run.

4) Power Cleans. I'm learning them but they are tricky. The most I've done so far is only 65lbs lol. Any tips on working on the form? I get that it's an RDL + well a hang clean, and I can do both fairly well independently of each other, but putting 2 + 2 together is where I struggle with it.

Anyways as of right now,

Squats: 3x5x185 (form!)
BP: 3x5x140
OHP: 3x5x95
Power Cleans: 5x3x65
DL: 1x5x220

nemY
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States3119 Posts
September 03 2011 06:00 GMT
#10903
On September 03 2011 14:28 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 14:06 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
On September 03 2011 13:47 Froadac wrote:
Question: which of the SS exercises involve the forearm? Because I they are still tiny, even though the rest of my body has grown significantly.


Just switch hands every so often when practicing autoeroticism.

...

No comment.


Try this, I'm not an expert, but something I often do after my last set of DLs. Take somewhere between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of your work weight. DL it up and hold it for as long as you can. Squeeze the shit out of that bar (like you're gonna snap it like a twig) and try not to rest the weight on your man-thighs. The longer you can go the better. Count to 30 or for however long you can go.

Other pro tip forearm development:

+ Show Spoiler +
just keep lifting and don't give a shit about your forearms. Don't worry they'll get big
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 06:45:18
September 03 2011 06:44 GMT
#10904
Turns out decaf deals with his emotional issues with half whole milk half spiced rum. Love my milk.

Saw someone with a "friends dont let friends drink milk" bumper sticker. needless to say i was less than impressed with this person.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
September 03 2011 06:51 GMT
#10905
On September 03 2011 14:54 nemY wrote:
4) Power Cleans. I'm learning them but they are tricky. The most I've done so far is only 65lbs lol. Any tips on working on the form? I get that it's an RDL + well a hang clean, and I can do both fairly well independently of each other, but putting 2 + 2 together is where I struggle with it.


The biggest problem I had with cleans was trying to yank the bar off the floor and clean as fast as possible. It helped me a lot to do the movement as a controlled deadlift and only explode once the bar reached the pockets position. Hip drive, shoulder shrug, and catch the bar on your shoulders.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 03 2011 07:06 GMT
#10906
Biggest thing that helps me on any clean/snatch is to completely ignore every little detail. literally the only i think about is getting under the bar. you cant lift it if you dont catch it.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
September 03 2011 08:25 GMT
#10907
On September 03 2011 16:06 decafchicken wrote:
Biggest thing that helps me on any clean/snatch is to completely ignore every little detail. literally the only i think about is getting under the bar. you cant lift it if you dont catch it.


Yeah, I recommend this way of thinking to learn complicated lifts.

Where a lot of coaches go wrong is they try to get you to use immaculate form from the very first lift. "Sit back. Extend the hip. Watch your timing. Shrug. Quick under the bar. Catch the bounce." Nobody can pay attention to all of these things at once.

What you need to do is focus on one thing and one thing only when performing a lift. Everything else you should just do naturally. For example, in one session you'll practice your second pull timing. In the second session you'll focus on keeping your arms loose. As you learn how to do these things individually, they will become automated processes which will free up processing space to focus on other details.

inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 12:06:12
September 03 2011 12:04 GMT
#10908
Ok new gym card acquired(...)

body fat is 10.8%...its about right i guess, but no abs :D
blood pressure was 124/70 or something near that.


I have now 3 gym rooms and one athletic hall available...my sessions will be much easier and i have some support on bench press, will try my max soon i guess.

I think 2 more sessions for light weights and more running/cardiovascular activities.

Internet police can fix all spelling mistakes.

go onwards my friends, to lift some heavy shit and but it back down(idra...) and get some girls or boys( :D )

i am a happy person, thats why i have all the smiles :/
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
Mementoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada2595 Posts
September 03 2011 13:38 GMT
#10909
1 month update from Strong lifts:

Starting Weight / Current Weight
Squats 95 5X5 / 150 5X5 +55 lbs
Bench 115 5X5 / 145 5X5 +30 lbs
Deadlift 135 1X5 / 185 1X5 +50 lbs
BentRows 65 5X5 / 115 5X5 +50 lbs
Press 65 5X5 / 95 5X5 +30 lbs

Body Weight: 143 / 149 + 6 lbs

1/3 of the way there still hoping to hit these goals

Body Weight 160 lbs
Bench 185x5
Overhead press 110X5
Deadlifts 255X5
Squat 205X5
Bent over Row 135X5 --> May need to make higher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96xMwFVXw
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 13:39:31
September 03 2011 13:39 GMT
#10910
On September 03 2011 03:49 Nazarene wrote:
Thanks guys!

Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 02:08 Advocado wrote:
Great pictures Nazarene. Where you from in Denmark? Take me as your apprentice! :<

Also that's a pretty good tip on consuming creatine phyre, thanks.


I live in Copenhagen, train (and work) at CrossFit Butcher's Lab and Garage :-)

PR power clean today, 110 kg. Very solid lift, I think I can get 115 too. But that's for next time!

Edit: Lower back is destroyed after PC and deadlift. Good thing it's weekend now.


Oh I know that place through a friends brother. Haven't had the chance to visit it yet. Live @ fyn
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 03 2011 13:58 GMT
#10911
On September 03 2011 09:06 MeShiet wrote:
Oh boy, first workout of September. Everything's making progress but ever so slowly. The press should be higher than that but I took a week off in the middle of August to let an injury heal and had to work my way back up from 85 pounds. I feel like my hip muscles (particularly both my right and left illial psoas) are limiting both my front and back squats but a lot, they're usually in quite a bit of pain after a heavy set but will heal and quite quickly. Is there a way of strengthening just those muscles? I do stretch, massage and foam roll them in preparation for any kind of squatting and it does help. As usual though, thanks for just being here to all those who constantly give help and advice. I swear I'll get pics up when it becomes mandatory =p

July 23, 2011 - Today (all in pounds)
Body weight: 145 - 150
Bench:150 (4RM) - 155 (4RM)
Deadlift: 195 (5RM) - 235 (2RM)
Squat: 150 (3RM) - 170 (1RM)
Clean and jerk: 140(1RM) - same (was training power before, only switched to full clean recently)
Press: 100 (3RM) - 100 (5RM)


It may be a good idea to do soft tissue work like you said above on days where you don't exercise either.

On September 03 2011 09:15 phyre112 wrote:
I noticed today that I was having a hell of a time with my shoulders on my deadlifts - it almost felt like a "ripping" right across the front Delt. Didn't have any problems with it when I backed off the weight for speed deads, or when I was doing rows... I wonder if I was just over stressing them?


Need more information..

Deadlifts probably should not stress your anterior deltoids though so that is pretty odd
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 03 2011 14:02 GMT
#10912
On September 03 2011 11:59 jjhchsc2 wrote:
Sup guys.
i will starting a new bodyweight program from wednesday. It will involve pullups, dips, HIIT and hanging leg raises.
A few questions-
For the pullup how high do i have to go? and am i supposed to arch my back?
and in what order should do these excercises? or does it not matter?
i was think of maybe dips or pullups then leg raises then pullups or dips.
AND for these exercises should i be improving every workout? and assuming i eat well how much can i expect? since i would like to know so i can set a decent goal for about 3-4months into the future.

i will try posting 3 times a week and i will make a proper formatted goal sheet on thursday/friday

i hope to start SS when i am older or when i get access to a gym, as right now i have no access to a proper gym.

Ps- all those nutritional studies posted a few pages before make my head hurt.


Ideally you want to work your pullups to your chest. But chin above bar without craning the neck to get it up there is fine to start. Don't arch your back if possible.

Put the exercises you want to improve the most first.

You should be improving every workout if you're fairly new to exercising. Improvement depends on a lot of factors and current abilities so.. would need more information to make a guess.

On September 03 2011 21:04 inimenesc wrote:
Ok new gym card acquired(...)

body fat is 10.8%...its about right i guess, but no abs :D
blood pressure was 124/70 or something near that.


I have now 3 gym rooms and one athletic hall available...my sessions will be much easier and i have some support on bench press, will try my max soon i guess.

I think 2 more sessions for light weights and more running/cardiovascular activities.

Internet police can fix all spelling mistakes.

go onwards my friends, to lift some heavy shit and but it back down(idra...) and get some girls or boys( :D )

i am a happy person, thats why i have all the smiles :/


You should be able to see abs around 10% body fat.

There's no point to lift light weights except for rehab. Skip that.

You can do cardio if you want I guess, but weight training tends to be more effective unless you are going to be running endurance sports.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
September 03 2011 14:15 GMT
#10913
I would just like to be good at 2.1km run that i will have at school in the middle of october, so i want to keep my running shape up.

Ok, not lifting light. Maybe just doing other exercises and with bodyweight. Pullups/dips etc? I dont know much more, maybe push ups, but i have been told they are pointless :D
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
September 03 2011 14:21 GMT
#10914
After skipping gym today (first time in months), i took my trusty barbell and did some biceps/shoulder in the sun. Working out while doing something for the tan, pretty awesome. Can only recommend that to everyone.

Why not just lift hard inimenesc?
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 14:32:06
September 03 2011 14:30 GMT
#10915
5 times a week? not for beginners like me

3 times a week + 2times cardio or something would be great i think.
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
September 03 2011 16:18 GMT
#10916
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I've started doing a bit of a daily exercise routine for the past couple of weeks to lose weight.

I'm not going to the gym (and I won't) and I'm not trying to gain muscles or anything; just trying to get a bit of daily thing going that I do in the morning before university and after coming back in the evening.

So far I'm mostly working on my legs because it's easier but I do push-ups and sit ups as well. I do repetitions and each week I add 5 or 10 repetitions to my routine (ie 20 squats to 30 or something) until I feel I hit a wall. I'm not adding too much repetitions since I do it twice a day every day.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is what besides sit-ups could I do for stomach workout (that I can do in my apartment without a machine)? I'm not really feeling it much with sit-ups so far... I could do more but I want to stick to my schedule of adding on reps as I go to not tire myself out too much. It's working out for my legs and arms but not for sit-ups.

I don't care if it's a strech or something, anything would be helpful.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
September 03 2011 16:24 GMT
#10917
@Kurr: What exactly is your goal if not gaining muscle?
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
September 03 2011 16:25 GMT
#10918
On September 04 2011 01:24 rEiGN~ wrote:
@Kurr: What exactly is your goal if not gaining muscle?


Seriously?

On September 04 2011 01:18 Kurr wrote:
I've started doing a bit of a daily exercise routine for the past couple of weeks to lose weight.
[...] just trying to get a bit of daily thing going that I do in the morning before university and after coming back in the evening.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
September 03 2011 16:31 GMT
#10919
On September 04 2011 01:18 Kurr wrote:
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I've started doing a bit of a daily exercise routine for the past couple of weeks to lose weight.

I'm not going to the gym (and I won't) and I'm not trying to gain muscles or anything; just trying to get a bit of daily thing going that I do in the morning before university and after coming back in the evening.

So far I'm mostly working on my legs because it's easier but I do push-ups and sit ups as well. I do repetitions and each week I add 5 or 10 repetitions to my routine (ie 20 squats to 30 or something) until I feel I hit a wall. I'm not adding too much repetitions since I do it twice a day every day.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is what besides sit-ups could I do for stomach workout (that I can do in my apartment without a machine)? I'm not really feeling it much with sit-ups so far... I could do more but I want to stick to my schedule of adding on reps as I go to not tire myself out too much. It's working out for my legs and arms but not for sit-ups.

I don't care if it's a strech or something, anything would be helpful.

Bicycles are great for your abdominal area. So are leg lifts and flutter kicks. Also, just in case you're doing situps with your arms over your chest: put your arms behind your head. And if you just want to make situps burn more, hold some kind of weight behind your head.
Sup.
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 16:33:21
September 03 2011 16:31 GMT
#10920
Forget about situps and pushups if you're trying to lose weight. I'd tell you to lift weights but that's a no go if you're afraid of gyms. Fix your diet and do cardio. See the first post.

edit: I'd like to add that if you insist on training your abs, do crunches instead of sit ups. They're more efficient.
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
Prev 1 544 545 546 547 548 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.