• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:16
CEST 07:16
KST 14:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10794 users

[WCS] Summer Tour DreamHack Montreal 2016 - Page 273

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 271 272 273 274 Next
coL.hendralisk
Profile Joined September 2009
Zimbabwe1756 Posts
August 14 2016 22:49 GMT
#5441
Shouldn't there have been a booth at least? I feel in an open area with just a pair of headphones over your ear buds the crowd is almost completely audible.. which is bad if you want to risk a cheese/allin strategy
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 14 2016 23:00 GMT
#5442
Man True vs Polt was beautiful to watch. He didn't play the boring style that a lot of foreign zergs play and utterly crushed Polt. All the ling attacks, multi tasking man that was something to watch.

Other then it being super one sided, was an enjoyable finals. I wish there were some closer games, but at least it was near constant action.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Kovzirg
Profile Joined July 2016
126 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-14 23:38:44
August 14 2016 23:37 GMT
#5443
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
August 14 2016 23:38 GMT
#5444
Lol, those silly Korean zergs.
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
August 15 2016 01:12 GMT
#5445
On August 15 2016 08:37 Kovzirg wrote:
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.

For some reason it reminds me of previous time queen range was buffed.
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
August 15 2016 01:15 GMT
#5446
On August 15 2016 08:37 Kovzirg wrote:
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.

There was a Queen drop against Polt, but TRUE's amazing ability to use lings/banelings made for a quick, and one-sided finals.
kiss kiss fall in love
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
August 15 2016 01:55 GMT
#5447
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.
Writermaru pls
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
August 15 2016 02:03 GMT
#5448
On August 15 2016 08:37 Kovzirg wrote:
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.

I only saw the last game and honestly was really bored by trues play. He made nearly all lings and just a few banelings and won against a terran that tech-ed. Lings are fun to watch in the early game, but you should never win a game that goes that long by just making pure ling. His play reminds me of life who used to also win with just lings and then I'd feel really embarrassed for the opponent.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-15 02:05:40
August 15 2016 02:05 GMT
#5449
On August 15 2016 11:03 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2016 08:37 Kovzirg wrote:
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.

I only saw the last game and honestly was really bored by trues play. He made nearly all lings and just a few banelings and won against a terran that tech-ed. Lings are fun to watch in the early game, but you should never win a game that goes that long by just making pure ling. His play reminds me of life who used to also win with just lings and then I'd feel really embarrassed for the opponent.

Now that you mention it, Polt had some truly embarassing moments in these games.
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
August 15 2016 02:07 GMT
#5450
On August 15 2016 11:05 lolfail9001 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2016 11:03 BisuDagger wrote:
On August 15 2016 08:37 Kovzirg wrote:
Honestly I think this is the new Zerg meta. I didn't see the finals but vs Heromarine the mass early queen defensive style was just so effective and it makes sense. I think we will start to see this very often. Maybe coupled with fast teching up builds. How was the finals vs Polt?

Not to say True teched up quickly. It seemed he went for super eco plays and just started throwing banes and lings at Heromarine because he knew he could.

I only saw the last game and honestly was really bored by trues play. He made nearly all lings and just a few banelings and won against a terran that tech-ed. Lings are fun to watch in the early game, but you should never win a game that goes that long by just making pure ling. His play reminds me of life who used to also win with just lings and then I'd feel really embarrassed for the opponent.

Now that you mention it, Polt had some truly embarassing moments in these games.

A lot of depots that weren't raised in time.
kiss kiss fall in love
Paljas
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6926 Posts
August 15 2016 02:36 GMT
#5451
On August 15 2016 10:55 Soularion wrote:
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.

sorry, you just saw how a korean player (ex code s, mind you) obliterated the competition and you still want to place him only at 7, behind choking foreigners? and how exactly does not playing a lot games recently help a lot?
TL+ Member
zakadar
Profile Joined December 2015
Germany409 Posts
August 15 2016 02:39 GMT
#5452
I wouldnt say true got an easy bracket You could even argue that he got one of the most difficult brackets possible in round 1 snute who just won NSL after that #yearofharstem on of the best foreign pvz players after that a tricky welmu who knocked out Hydra after this Heromarine who killed really strong opponents in Showtime and Marinelord and bet true at homestorycup 3:0 and finally Polt
TY my boy gogo
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
August 15 2016 02:46 GMT
#5453
On August 15 2016 11:39 zakadar wrote:
I wouldnt say true got an easy bracket You could even argue that he got one of the most difficult brackets possible in round 1 snute who just won NSL after that #yearofharstem on of the best foreign pvz players after that a tricky welmu who knocked out Hydra after this Heromarine who killed really strong opponents in Showtime and Marinelord and bet true at homestorycup 3:0 and finally Polt

R1 : Snute, completely fair.
R2 : Harstem, who almost lost to iaguz, and lost to MaSa (before he got good) as well as Jim in the previous WCS events. He's great, but at the same time he's had a history of disappointing big in WCS events.
R3 : Welmu, who beat Hydra by using a style that TRUE could then look at and go 'oh hey lets prepare to get cheesed' at which point he's significantly less strong.
R4 : HeRoMaRinE, who beat ShoWTimE/MarineLorD largely by using styles that they wouldn't expect and isn't very comfortable in TvZ, plus they already played so he doesn't have the surprise effect.
R5 : Polt, who typically struggles against early-game centric zergs, and has had terrible early game mechanics all tournament long.
Writermaru pls
RKC
Profile Joined June 2012
2848 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-15 03:38:35
August 15 2016 03:36 GMT
#5454
On August 15 2016 10:55 Soularion wrote:
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.


On the bright side (or dark side, depending how you look at it), your PR rank got a shoutout by Artosis and Rotti at the end of the show (albeit along the likes of "TRUE number 11? No way! Too low").

To be fair, it's honestly hard to make a PR for the foreigner scene due to the lack of meaningful tournament games - and by that, I mean games that really matter to all players (and not just some online tourney). And I don't see how the results justify the likes of Neeb and Nerchio being as high as you put them. As for performance, I've seen a fair amount of games to be able to say "Typical high level foreigner play, solid against weaker opponents, wonky at times, low-tier Code S level at most".

Are the likes of Polt, TRUE, Hydra and Violet better? On average, not by much, maybe even lower at some period of time. But through their performance, you could see glimpses of their peak (which doesn't happen often enough to win more championships, and could be slightly lacking due to the sort of motivational drive and support that Korean team-houses give). And when the stakes high, they have that cutting edge to prevail in the end (just like this last DH). Results-wise, they're sitting pretty high on WCS points - and perhaps this should be a good barometer of who's good and who's not in the foreigner scene.

This is not to say that WCS Koreans are way better than foreigners by a mile, nor that Neeb and Nerchio can't beat Polt and Hydra on any given day (which they have). The point is that they're much closer - Top 5 should be a mix of Neeb, Nerchio, Polt, TRUE, and perhaps even Hydra (he's on a slump though). A PR with foreigners as Top 3 is just rather too generous, optimistic, and yes, biased.
gg no re thx
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
August 15 2016 04:34 GMT
#5455
On August 15 2016 12:36 RKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2016 10:55 Soularion wrote:
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.


On the bright side (or dark side, depending how you look at it), your PR rank got a shoutout by Artosis and Rotti at the end of the show (albeit along the likes of "TRUE number 11? No way! Too low").

To be fair, it's honestly hard to make a PR for the foreigner scene due to the lack of meaningful tournament games - and by that, I mean games that really matter to all players (and not just some online tourney). And I don't see how the results justify the likes of Neeb and Nerchio being as high as you put them. As for performance, I've seen a fair amount of games to be able to say "Typical high level foreigner play, solid against weaker opponents, wonky at times, low-tier Code S level at most".

Are the likes of Polt, TRUE, Hydra and Violet better? On average, not by much, maybe even lower at some period of time. But through their performance, you could see glimpses of their peak (which doesn't happen often enough to win more championships, and could be slightly lacking due to the sort of motivational drive and support that Korean team-houses give). And when the stakes high, they have that cutting edge to prevail in the end (just like this last DH). Results-wise, they're sitting pretty high on WCS points - and perhaps this should be a good barometer of who's good and who's not in the foreigner scene.

This is not to say that WCS Koreans are way better than foreigners by a mile, nor that Neeb and Nerchio can't beat Polt and Hydra on any given day (which they have). The point is that they're much closer - Top 5 should be a mix of Neeb, Nerchio, Polt, TRUE, and perhaps even Hydra (he's on a slump though). A PR with foreigners as Top 3 is just rather too generous, optimistic, and yes, biased.


Nerchio's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 70/81
Polt's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 66/75
Neeb's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 65/74
ShoWTimE's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 62/70
viOLet's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 55/63
Hydra's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 63/75 (55/53 since Austin)

Those are the stats. And I think those stats clearly prove that an all-foreigner top 3 is, while pessimistic towards Polt in a way I pointed out in the damn article, not 'biased'. You could make an argument that people like Snute/uThermal/MarineLorD being above Polt is wrong, and I'd agree with you; I probably overrated them, and I'd put Polt #4 or maybe #3 in a PR made today. But saying that viOLet/Hydra are even comparable to the top foreigners is just laughably wrong by any statistic. If Hydra was comparable to Neeb, he wouldn't go 1-9 against him.
Writermaru pls
RKC
Profile Joined June 2012
2848 Posts
August 15 2016 05:00 GMT
#5456
On August 15 2016 13:34 Soularion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2016 12:36 RKC wrote:
On August 15 2016 10:55 Soularion wrote:
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.


On the bright side (or dark side, depending how you look at it), your PR rank got a shoutout by Artosis and Rotti at the end of the show (albeit along the likes of "TRUE number 11? No way! Too low").

To be fair, it's honestly hard to make a PR for the foreigner scene due to the lack of meaningful tournament games - and by that, I mean games that really matter to all players (and not just some online tourney). And I don't see how the results justify the likes of Neeb and Nerchio being as high as you put them. As for performance, I've seen a fair amount of games to be able to say "Typical high level foreigner play, solid against weaker opponents, wonky at times, low-tier Code S level at most".

Are the likes of Polt, TRUE, Hydra and Violet better? On average, not by much, maybe even lower at some period of time. But through their performance, you could see glimpses of their peak (which doesn't happen often enough to win more championships, and could be slightly lacking due to the sort of motivational drive and support that Korean team-houses give). And when the stakes high, they have that cutting edge to prevail in the end (just like this last DH). Results-wise, they're sitting pretty high on WCS points - and perhaps this should be a good barometer of who's good and who's not in the foreigner scene.

This is not to say that WCS Koreans are way better than foreigners by a mile, nor that Neeb and Nerchio can't beat Polt and Hydra on any given day (which they have). The point is that they're much closer - Top 5 should be a mix of Neeb, Nerchio, Polt, TRUE, and perhaps even Hydra (he's on a slump though). A PR with foreigners as Top 3 is just rather too generous, optimistic, and yes, biased.


Nerchio's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 70/81
Polt's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 66/75
Neeb's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 65/74
ShoWTimE's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 62/70
viOLet's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 55/63
Hydra's offline winrate from WCS Winter to now : 63/75 (55/53 since Austin)

Those are the stats. And I think those stats clearly prove that an all-foreigner top 3 is, while pessimistic towards Polt in a way I pointed out in the damn article, not 'biased'. You could make an argument that people like Snute/uThermal/MarineLorD being above Polt is wrong, and I'd agree with you; I probably overrated them, and I'd put Polt #4 or maybe #3 in a PR made today. But saying that viOLet/Hydra are even comparable to the top foreigners is just laughably wrong by any statistic. If Hydra was comparable to Neeb, he wouldn't go 1-9 against him.


But offline tourneys in the foreigner scene are patchy and scattered. It's not like Starleagues and Proleague, where it's a must for every Korean to take seriously and focus on, which make stats from there more reliable. So those offline winrate stats could be distorted by wins against lesser players.

Gauging the level of two players purely by their H2H can be misleading. Zest has a lopsided record against Maru - doesn't make him better than Maru by a mile.

To be fair, it's not a foreigner thing. I see the same methodology applied to PR and GOAT for Koreans too, which puts players like Taeja and Parting unduly high (at least, to me). Again, the sticking point is placing too high emphasis on results and stats on non-premier tournaments (which simply means tournaments that not every players treats as the highest priority, especially KeSPA Koreans).

I guess it comes down to a difference of standards. Not saying yours is bad - it's actually good. Just feel that it could be improved, that's all.

Keep up the PR!
gg no re thx
swissman777
Profile Joined September 2014
1106 Posts
August 15 2016 06:16 GMT
#5457
On August 15 2016 12:36 RKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2016 10:55 Soularion wrote:
As crazy as this tournament felt, it was more like a lot of odd circumstances than legitimate change. If we look at the PR, TRUE/Drogo are probably the only ones to get legitimate bumps; even then, nothing major. I think this was a very easy bracket for TRUE which is why he looked so dominant, so I'd rather put him around #7 (where Hydra is now) than go crazy and place him top 4. Nerchio > Neeb > ShoWTimE > Polt seems legit, and I should probably weigh 'known-ness' more. That's something that badly effected Snute and uThermal, as they had played a lot of games recently, while TRUE/HeRoMaRinE (especially heromarine) were helped a lot by not playing much as of late. In general I think this confirms what I thought about a lot of playes, with TRUE being the one exception where he paved a new identity for himself - which was most likely going to happen due to this being his first really big tournament.


On the bright side (or dark side, depending how you look at it), your PR rank got a shoutout by Artosis and Rotti at the end of the show (albeit along the likes of "TRUE number 11? No way! Too low").

To be fair, it's honestly hard to make a PR for the foreigner scene due to the lack of meaningful tournament games - and by that, I mean games that really matter to all players (and not just some online tourney). And I don't see how the results justify the likes of Neeb and Nerchio being as high as you put them. As for performance, I've seen a fair amount of games to be able to say "Typical high level foreigner play, solid against weaker opponents, wonky at times, low-tier Code S level at most".

Are the likes of Polt, TRUE, Hydra and Violet better? On average, not by much, maybe even lower at some period of time. But through their performance, you could see glimpses of their peak (which doesn't happen often enough to win more championships, and could be slightly lacking due to the sort of motivational drive and support that Korean team-houses give). And when the stakes high, they have that cutting edge to prevail in the end (just like this last DH). Results-wise, they're sitting pretty high on WCS points - and perhaps this should be a good barometer of who's good and who's not in the foreigner scene.

This is not to say that WCS Koreans are way better than foreigners by a mile, nor that Neeb and Nerchio can't beat Polt and Hydra on any given day (which they have). The point is that they're much closer - Top 5 should be a mix of Neeb, Nerchio, Polt, TRUE, and perhaps even Hydra (he's on a slump though). A PR with foreigners as Top 3 is just rather too generous, optimistic, and yes, biased.

You can use the logic of True adjusting to polt adjusting to True's style afterwards, which polt did not do so True's on to something. So either adjusting your play to a particular style is not that easy (then True's victory against welmu is legit) or adjusting your play to a particular style is easy and True's victory against polt is legit
BaneRiders
Profile Joined August 2013
Sweden3630 Posts
August 15 2016 06:18 GMT
#5458
So we have had 8 WCS events this year and 8 different winners. That is pretty cool I think, but nothing I would have guessed at the start of the season.
Earth, Water, Air and Protoss!
AxiomB
Profile Joined August 2016
69 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-15 06:22:01
August 15 2016 06:19 GMT
#5459
What did I just watch? This is a completely new True, at no stage during this last year have I seem him play like this (and I have watched all his televised matches). We have all known he is a ZvZ Kingpin for some time, it took the likes of Curious to shut him down in the 2015 DH finals. However in this tournament he was 4 steps ahead v each race. His ling control was 'Lifesque,' his banes whilst he spammed them at times, were apt and the few times the games went late, he completely out 'econned' his opponents and then swarmed them like flies on a picnic in Darwin, Australia.

Thus what did I just watch? I will tell you, it was the arrival of a True champion, the defining moment when a player raises his head and says "here is a man, that will not put up with mediocrity, a man that will fight for all, a rod that will not bend."
Mark my words 'TLers' True will be become a mighty force in the coming months, a Z pilot with the ability to roll all in his path and yes, even Korean Koreans!

My inner ling hatched and squealed in rapturous elation when Polt crumbled and fumbled against the savagery of True's linglines, yes the depots were late to be raised, yes his micro was off, yes he made several blunders early game, but all that and more was because for the first time in quite a long time, Polt felt the cold and cruel force of a Korean Zerg in full flight encircling his ailing skills in rings of Zerg claws.

Serious business was had, viewing pleasure was minimal, this was a panther disemboweling a ferret, a grisly scene, yet one I could not look away from, not in visceral entertainment, no, but in astonishing respect for the hunter's prowess...
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
August 15 2016 06:24 GMT
#5460
I was disappointed in the finals. It was way too onesided, and I saw Polt make mistakes I did not expect him to make. During the queen drop/ling bust he had a tank available, but he somehow wasn't interested in properly defending that attack. If he was, siege mode and a couple of SCVs repairing the bunker and supply depos would have shut that attack down completely and effortlessly.

It felt like Polt wasn't at the top of his game at all, which may or may not be due to three long days of non-stop starcraft and having played a semi-finals not even 15 minutes before the finals began.
Prev 1 271 272 273 274 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings139
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 171
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 321
soO 242
BeSt 227
sorry 45
Mind 29
Terrorterran 21
Bale 18
yabsab 9
ZergMaN 9
Noble 8
[ Show more ]
Icarus 7
Dota 2
monkeys_forever845
League of Legends
JimRising 691
Counter-Strike
taco 384
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Other Games
summit1g11081
Maynarde197
RuFF_SC2104
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick524
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH351
• Hupsaiya 107
• practicex 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2131
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Stunt324
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 44m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 44m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.