• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:42
CEST 14:42
KST 21:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9424 users

The HotS Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 108

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 106 107 108 109 110 269 Next
bretfart
Profile Joined July 2012
114 Posts
August 30 2013 08:05 GMT
#2141
I guess there are only three ways:

1) Find someone who goes into a custom game with you and let him send a marine around the map at the places you tell him to go!

or..

2) Pick your sports and try them out in ladder games

or...

3) Watch streams and look exactly where the Pros are putting their overlords
morgoth813
Profile Joined August 2013
43 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-31 08:47:42
August 31 2013 08:09 GMT
#2142
I remember seeing some maps, maybe in blade's tutorials, or belial.

It would make sense to start compiling overlord positions by map, in one single zerg thread.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=347897
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354352
ReMinD_
Profile Joined May 2013
Croatia846 Posts
August 31 2013 09:34 GMT
#2143
After seeing sos block gas with Asimilators in his game vs. Dear, how useful would it be to use your drone scout and make an extractor in Protoss base?
Parting: Well, even I can make better maps than these.
Guileful
Profile Joined November 2012
Kazakhstan137 Posts
August 31 2013 10:08 GMT
#2144
On August 31 2013 18:34 ReMinD_ wrote:
After seeing sos block gas with Asimilators in his game vs. Dear, how useful would it be to use your drone scout and make an extractor in Protoss base?


Forge expand - useless, Gate expand - Useless, If you see lots of boosts saved in the Nexus 50+ then it worth of giving a try it will delay any high tech if protoss' 1st unit is stalker
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
August 31 2013 11:19 GMT
#2145
So, Polar Night, expansion patterns.

[image loading]

So, I think the Main, Natural and 4th base should be clear where to take, though in some rare cases you may want to take the 4th as third (e.g. against a very aggressive 2basing zerg you can close the wall at the front and kill the backdoor and expansion blockers with roach/spine/queen/ling).
The question I keep asking myself is which third base to take.
I can't wrap my head around which way I rather want to defend. Along the green line it looks awefully easy to stretch me thin or abuse choke points, especially with drop based play and forcefields.
The blue 3rd however feels very, very attackable from many sides (especially by Zerg and bio play) and allows my opponent to get nonstop aggressive unless I go aggressive myself.

My stance currently is to go:
Blue 3rd against Protoss, because it's harder for Protoss to attack this base, meanwhile I can go very easily aggressive myself onto his third, unless he expands late and takes the backdoor one.
Green 3rd against Zerg, because if you can take the tower in front of it and just sit tight behind the chokes you have a serious defenders advantage in roach wars.
Against Terran I'm not quite sure. I think for a Terran it is very logical to always try to get into a "blue vs green" situation due to rush distance, while the zerg optimally wants green vs green, but blue vs blue is also OK. As you have to take your third first as zerg, Terran should always get into a green vs green situation if he wants to.
I so far have played with the blue 3rd base, as it seems easier to play against drops (with mutalisks) that way. Also many Terrans seem to prefer their own blue base as third, so you can sometimes avoid blue vs green that way.

Thoughts?
morgoth813
Profile Joined August 2013
43 Posts
August 31 2013 17:50 GMT
#2146
From my point of view, the green 3rd is infinitely better:

Not only do you get an additional base for less surface area than you had with two, but you get another free base for that move (the 4th).

In terms of distance, if you keep your army at your natural, it is pretty much the same as the other configuration, so I really see no drawback.
SnowZi
Profile Joined August 2012
Croatia16 Posts
August 31 2013 18:25 GMT
#2147
Simple question,just faced a guy on ladder,he did very safe carrier build with alot of cannons into 3rd,what do you think how should I punish this,should I stop him from getting a 3rd or which composition lategame?

GM here.
Psychonian
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2322 Posts
August 31 2013 18:25 GMT
#2148
Hey guys, hopefullynotforeverbronze here, wanted to see if I could get some basic BOs to win games. TY
Trans Rights
FakePseudo
Profile Joined January 2012
Belgium716 Posts
August 31 2013 19:53 GMT
#2149
On September 01 2013 03:25 SnowZi wrote:
Simple question,just faced a guy on ladder,he did very safe carrier build with alot of cannons into 3rd,what do you think how should I punish this,should I stop him from getting a 3rd or which composition lategame?

GM here.


Replay or it didn't happen. Thank you.
I am the 0.0007% /forum/viewpost.php?post_id=17208334|| Big Black Women Vocals Is Like Porn to my Ears ||San Antonio Spurs|Boston Celtics||#1EZToss Hater;
11B
Profile Joined March 2010
United States188 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-31 21:08:17
August 31 2013 21:06 GMT
#2150
Simple question,just faced a guy on ladder,he did very safe carrier build with alot of cannons into 3rd,what do you think how should I punish this,should I stop him from getting a 3rd or which composition lategame?


Hydra/Queen and an eventually transition to either Viper or Infestor. Either nydus his main or if that fails, get a nydus somewhat close to his original natural (w/out 100 cannons). Then just keep reinforcing super quick units while spreading a little creep and throwing down lots and lots of spores during your push. And when I say Queen, I mean a decent number.......like in the 6-8 range.

A good time to start pushing out (to your Nydus) with Hydra/Queen is probably in the 10:30 - 11:00mark, by which time you should easily have 24+ Hydra supported with 6+ Queen. If he adds Templar or lots of Zealots you counter with SH.

And o, let me guess, on the new map Polar right? Lets air defend his 3rd very easy. That's a great sky toss map.

LoL....Pogue
ysnake
Profile Joined June 2012
Bosnia-Herzegovina261 Posts
August 31 2013 23:00 GMT
#2151
On September 01 2013 03:25 Psychonian wrote:
Hey guys, hopefullynotforeverbronze here, wanted to see if I could get some basic BOs to win games. TY


People that are stuck in Bronze, especially Zerg players, are not there because of their lack of BOs. It's because of their mechanics, that means your mechanics are pretty bad and you need to work on them. This is achieved to a certain level by playing a lot. Refined mechanics come in as you're comfortable to do that in game, such as setting up a surround or a concave, magic boxing mutalisks etc etc. You should work on that first, here's a good guide on mechanics:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=427329

When I just got back into the game (was high Diamond in WoL pre-Zerg patch) I just did my safest opener every game until I felt comfortable taking Hatch firsts or doing some 10pool shenanigans. My "safe go-to build" is:
14 - pool
16 - hatch
15 - overlord
15 - queen
17 - zergling

However, in ZvT, if you do not go Hatch first, you are falling behind on economy if the Terran goes for a greedy opener, such as fast 3 CCs. I'd recommend for a player of your caliber not to try hatch first in any MUs. The build I gave you is prone to fall to early 10pool speedling aggression in ZvZ, but other than that, it's relatively safe. Here are some other builds you can use, but just so you know, Zerg doesn't have any particular build orders, rather you react with the knowledge you are given, when are you going to get upgrades, when are you going to tech up, when to pump out units instead of Drones.

ZvZ:
10 - pool
10 - extractor
9 - overlord
9 - drone
10 - 3x lings
13 - lings
14 - queen or more lings
start speed at 100 gas and pull drones off of gas (unless you are planning to allin with baneling nest)

14 - pool
16 - hatch
15 - overlord
15 - queen
17 - zergling
18 - extractor

ZvT:
15 - hatch
16 - pool
get gas around 20-25 supply or if you want to drone up even more, get it between 25-35

ZvP:
14 pool build

cheese:
6 - pool
5 - drone
6 - drone
7 - 3x lings
10 - overlord
pump out lings

I'd recommend trying to play against AI or some friends to get a better grasp of the mechanics as cheesing and such tactics will only get you so far. SC2 isn't all about winning, it's about improving and then outplaying your opponent. Trust me, there is no better feeling than seeing your creep touching their base while they feel helpless to move out.
You are no longer automatically breathing and blinking.
Olferen
Profile Joined March 2013
United States39 Posts
September 01 2013 03:04 GMT
#2152
While these threads are nice, this one seems to lack the general quality of the Protoss and Terran help-me threads. The P and T threads have several strategies for each match-up while also breaking the match-ups into early/mid/late game.
Dancing with myself oh oh oh.
goofyballer
Profile Joined January 2013
United States136 Posts
September 01 2013 03:31 GMT
#2153
Lately against biomine, I've been randomly trying something new and making 3-6 swarm hosts when Terran starts to move across the map, with the idea being that it helps prevent them from sieging up outside my base; the locusts will set off mines, and if I go more towards 6 SHs rather than 3 then they can actually chip away slowly at the bio. Obviously Terran can replace these units pretty easily but I think they find it pretty annoying, and what usually happens is that they'll either retreat far enough away (or leave entirely) that they're not really choking me inside my base anymore, or they'll try to take really stupid engagements to kill the swarm hosts (like, stim, run up, scan, somehow oblivious to the fact that I can see this coming and get lings/banes ready to punish it). And if they just let me set off/kill the mines (I actually haven't been microing overseers with the locusts, but obviously that would help too) that's great too and makes it easier for me to engage into their army.

Anyone else tried this and think it's good/bad? Are there negatives I'll come across eventually when I do this against someone who knows how to counter it? I'm in Platinum fwiw.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
September 01 2013 05:48 GMT
#2154
On September 01 2013 12:31 goofyballer wrote:
Lately against biomine, I've been randomly trying something new and making 3-6 swarm hosts when Terran starts to move across the map, with the idea being that it helps prevent them from sieging up outside my base; the locusts will set off mines, and if I go more towards 6 SHs rather than 3 then they can actually chip away slowly at the bio. Obviously Terran can replace these units pretty easily but I think they find it pretty annoying, and what usually happens is that they'll either retreat far enough away (or leave entirely) that they're not really choking me inside my base anymore, or they'll try to take really stupid engagements to kill the swarm hosts (like, stim, run up, scan, somehow oblivious to the fact that I can see this coming and get lings/banes ready to punish it). And if they just let me set off/kill the mines (I actually haven't been microing overseers with the locusts, but obviously that would help too) that's great too and makes it easier for me to engage into their army.

Anyone else tried this and think it's good/bad? Are there negatives I'll come across eventually when I do this against someone who knows how to counter it? I'm in Platinum fwiw.


I think many zergs have given this a try, but as far as I have read and experienced, it simply doesn't work well against a Terran who just picks off the locusts before they reach the mines but doesn't do anything stupid like charge into banelings.

I guess at a certain (low) level it's easier to set off mines with swarm hosts than with zerglings, but remember:
1 swarm host = 200/100 --> may set off 1mine every 30seconds
4-8zerglings = 50-100/0 --> may set off 1 or more mines once when/where you want
So if you have the micro and larva it's probably just more costefficient and practical to use zerglings to defuse mines.
11B
Profile Joined March 2010
United States188 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-01 06:43:30
September 01 2013 06:14 GMT
#2155
Anyone else tried this and think it's good/bad? Are there negatives I'll come across eventually when I do this against someone who knows how to counter it? I'm in Platinum fwiw.


Well Bio is pretty mobile, especially with medivacs so while I can see you stopping their initial push I don't think SHs let you be as aggressive as you need to. Plus that much supply in a rather slow unit (off creep aint nothing special) doesn't help defend vs drops or preventing the Terran from grabbing their 4th. Additionally, Medivacs can simply drop units on top of your SH inbetween locust waves.

So if you have the micro and larva it's probably just more costefficient and practical to use zerglings to defuse mines.


Burrowed Roaches with constitution upgraded do great. 1st, mines won't detonate when your burrowed and when you do unburrow take the single mine hit, burrow, rebuild to full health very quick, and other Roaches, or that same Roach can take out the mines.

If you want to try something new try Soulkeys +1/+1 Roach build, transitioning into Hydra/IP. It's extremely strong vs any sort of 3 CC play because it hits with 32+ Roach before Terrans Macro gets up and running. Here's the b/o found at IMBA: http://imbabuilds.com/hots-zerg/hots-zvt/zvt-soulkeys-1-1-roach-timing/ , and here's a replay showcasing Soul Key using the build:

LoL....Pogue
11B
Profile Joined March 2010
United States188 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-01 06:38:33
September 01 2013 06:37 GMT
#2156
Hey guys, hopefullynotforeverbronze here, wanted to see if I could get some basic BOs to win games


With all the new replays released from WCS America, Korea, etc........I've been looking through quite a few and have come across an extremely safe, albeit slightly strange expo build (at least to me lol) for Z vs Z. It seems to be Soulkeys standard Z vs Z opener:

- 9 Ovie
- 15 Pool
- 15 Hatch
- 14 Overlord
- 14 gas -> but you don't take the gas till 2:57
- 13 Queen
- usually a minimum of 1 set of lings
- drones/lings from here -> scout dependent
- 100g Speed
- 50g Bling nest
- 1 spine (helps target Blings approaching)
- drone drone drone -> Lings/Blings as needed -> try to be greedy
- 6:00 2nd gas
- 6:35-40 3rd/4th gas
- 3rd Hatch when you float the minerals
- Lair -> into Spire -> into harass -> into transition to +1/+1 Roach/Hydra -> SH -> and eventually BL if needed.
LoL....Pogue
SnowZi
Profile Joined August 2012
Croatia16 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-01 08:05:47
September 01 2013 08:04 GMT
#2157
On September 01 2013 04:53 FakePseudo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 01 2013 03:25 SnowZi wrote:
Simple question,just faced a guy on ladder,he did very safe carrier build with alot of cannons into 3rd,what do you think how should I punish this,should I stop him from getting a 3rd or which composition lategame?

GM here.


Replay or it didn't happen. Thank you.


Okay here is the replay, http://drop.sc/356799

Btw I don't think queens+ hydras 10:30 will make any difference since there will be 10 cannons and just impossible to attack,i can try to get a creep surround with alot of spores,but I don't know,15 carriers is alot of firepower...

The map is belshir so 3 tight chokes helps him alot -,-
11B
Profile Joined March 2010
United States188 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-01 09:44:50
September 01 2013 09:43 GMT
#2158
Btw I don't think queens+ hydras 10:30 will make any difference


He only had 3 Stargate units, 3 cannons, and a handful of sentries at 11:00. You had 20 Hydra's which is decent, but my norm is 24 Hydra's, with Range and +1 (you had +1 too) hatched around the 10:40 mark. Now if I add a Nydus then I'd probably have the same Hydra count as you, but I would have had +1, And Range, and 6-8 Queens.

Now in your replay, take a look at how many Hydra's you're about to hatch back home. It's only 3. Your macro slipped pretty bad. You could easily almost have 10 more Hydras just about to hatch. Plus you have 5 in the middle of the map and 11 left from your initial attack. So if you had a Nydus you could be attacking in about 15-20 more seconds with almost 30 Hydra again, with Range. Now if your initial attack already had Range + you had 6-8 Queens the game would be EZPZ.

So imo, the Nydus plus Queens, in conjunction with early grooved spines would make the game too easy for U ^^.

LoL....Pogue
ReMinD_
Profile Joined May 2013
Croatia846 Posts
September 01 2013 10:15 GMT
#2159
That Roach timing seems very nice. I'll have to give it a go. Especially after trying my own concoction in a game vs. Terran who roasted a bunch of my Drones when I was on 2 base and I said 'F*ck it, it's Roach time!" and then just completely decimated him. Also, I've seen TLO do something similar on Derelict Watcher.
Parting: Well, even I can make better maps than these.
Durmaz21
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden52 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-01 14:38:12
September 01 2013 14:37 GMT
#2160
Turtle Mech into Mass Siege Tank/Raven is perfectly balanced and a deligt to play against, buw how do I beat it? The way I see it I either try to go for some Viper + Max Roach/Hydra timing, which shouldn't work if the Terran turtles correctly I think and the other possible route is mass swarm host BUT here's where I get stuck. What exactly do I want along the swarm hosts AND how should I engage?
Prev 1 106 107 108 109 110 269 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1421
WardiTV631
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko465
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 7090
Bisu 2202
Jaedong 888
Horang2 502
EffOrt 483
actioN 354
Mini 215
ZerO 194
Larva 149
ggaemo 129
[ Show more ]
Pusan 114
Mind 109
Barracks 90
Shinee 69
Snow 69
Sea.KH 63
Hyun 60
Bale 57
Yoon 55
Sharp 51
Killer 42
ToSsGirL 32
hero 30
Sacsri 26
NotJumperer 20
scan(afreeca) 18
zelot 17
Dewaltoss 15
Noble 15
sorry 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc2717
Dendi1054
qojqva990
Counter-Strike
olofmeister889
markeloff247
Other Games
hiko530
B2W.Neo457
crisheroes293
DeMusliM207
Pyrionflax192
Livibee115
dupreeh104
QueenE73
Mew2King62
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 30
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV1010
League of Legends
• Jankos1528
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 18m
Patches Events
1d 3h
The PondCast
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.