• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:41
CEST 07:41
KST 14:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13249 users

[G] Protoss Hotkeys 101 - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
OskO
Profile Joined February 2011
Argentina369 Posts
October 23 2012 14:09 GMT
#41
I removed the "Warpgate Hotkey" (W) and turned it into a normal control group where I place all my production facilities. That way I am able to add new warping gates to the group to avoid looking for them once they are ready to turn into warpgates (Just hit W <Tab> G and you are ready to go).
Also I use tab in that group to cycle through Warpgates, Gates, Stargates, Robotics...
Same thing with my Nexus group, I add most tech buildings to that group to manage upgrades.
Though we strike at you from the shadows, do not think that we lack the courage to stand in the light.
Revelatus
Profile Joined July 2011
United States183 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-23 15:16:32
October 23 2012 15:16 GMT
#42
Remark,
I have Immortal on E, cyber core on R, base on Space, 0 on `, patrol on q, hold position on W. I always hotkey my warpgates to 2 and have nexus on 3, robo 4 etc. This gives me ` and 1 for army hotkeys, plus I will put obs on 6-9 or any other units or forges that I want hotkeyed.

Remark, does this sound okay? Do you see any major limitations with my setup?

I am diamond protoss btw.
caяp diєм
saladToss
Profile Joined June 2012
United States75 Posts
October 23 2012 15:49 GMT
#43
What exactly is "base camera?"

You said you can scroll through all your nexuses using this, but I don't even know what it is. Is it like if you have all 3 of your nexuses hotkeyed to 3 - select them, then hit the button you will cycle through them? Is that option in the hotkey menu? Base Camera - that is.
Time is like a fuse, short and burning fast
RemarK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States452 Posts
October 23 2012 20:50 GMT
#44
On October 24 2012 00:49 saladToss wrote:
What exactly is "base camera?"

You said you can scroll through all your nexuses using this, but I don't even know what it is. Is it like if you have all 3 of your nexuses hotkeyed to 3 - select them, then hit the button you will cycle through them? Is that option in the hotkey menu? Base Camera - that is.


Exactly - each time you press that button, it jumps your camera to a nexus (and it does it in a consistent order, I think just the order in which they were made).

On October 24 2012 00:16 Revelatus wrote:
Remark,
I have Immortal on E, cyber core on R, base on Space, 0 on `, patrol on q, hold position on W. I always hotkey my warpgates to 2 and have nexus on 3, robo 4 etc. This gives me ` and 1 for army hotkeys, plus I will put obs on 6-9 or any other units or forges that I want hotkeyed.

Remark, does this sound okay? Do you see any major limitations with my setup?


Looks great to me! As long as you're comfortable reaching your forges on 6-9 then I wouldn't make any changes (besides maybe adding camera location hotkeys to F1-F5 if you haven't done that).

Also, someone suggested binding select idle worker to alt - that is an option, although very inconvenient to anyone who likes to use alt+tab while they play.
I <3 StarCraft.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
October 23 2012 20:57 GMT
#45
1) move guardian shield a bit away from hold position. Fucking that up is not fun.


I hear this all the time. Ive played like 1.5k games as protoss, build sentries literally every game, over-emphasize hotkey usage and have never once actuly messed that up using default g bind. There was one really painful game in MLG i think though, where HuK when gateway expanding against a zerg, accidentally cancelled warpgate at the last second, and then instead of restarting it with g, had a sentry selected and cast guardian shield instead. Two fatal mistakes like a second apart and he died on the spot IIRC
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
webby01
Profile Joined October 2011
Czech Republic22 Posts
October 23 2012 21:15 GMT
#46
Thank you Remark i already used half of the hotkeys set up that way but adding an extra control group for me and the imortal change. Really great work and you can remember the changes in like 5-10 games
“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”
ScarSSBM
Profile Joined May 2010
United States21 Posts
October 25 2012 00:34 GMT
#47
thanks so much man, i've been thinking about changing my hotkeys up for a while and this one seems great. i might even try out hotkeying my forges and nexuses together :D
We are who we choose to be. Now, choose!
Spray
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States402 Posts
October 25 2012 02:15 GMT
#48
Thanks remark. Nice guide!
HuK Fighting~~!
weepingtweeter
Profile Joined October 2012
United States9 Posts
October 25 2012 02:28 GMT
#49
this is basically what day9 said in his refining mechanics video, minus the bind changes

CCalms
Profile Joined November 2010
United States341 Posts
October 25 2012 02:47 GMT
#50
On October 25 2012 11:28 weepingtweeter wrote:
this is basically what day9 said in his refining mechanics video, minus the bind changes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKPDKtK4IMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6nG0AaBl1A

did you even read the guide O_O
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
October 25 2012 05:11 GMT
#51
I have the death adder mouse but I feel weird about using the buttons on it for hotkeys. I feel like it's cheating by giving me an unfair advantage. Am I crazy?
xHadoken
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States171 Posts
October 25 2012 05:59 GMT
#52
Have never thought of the cam to mouse button :D thanks!
Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Whatson
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States5357 Posts
October 25 2012 06:30 GMT
#53
On October 25 2012 14:11 AirbladeOrange wrote:
I have the death adder mouse but I feel weird about using the buttons on it for hotkeys. I feel like it's cheating by giving me an unfair advantage. Am I crazy?

How is it an unfair advantage? You're still using the same amount of actions...
That's like saying it's unfair to use the core or rebind hotkeys because the key combos are easier to hit
¯\_(シ)_/¯
B1itZZ
Profile Joined July 2012
United Kingdom70 Posts
October 25 2012 18:26 GMT
#54
I have been meaning to optimize my hotkeys for a while now. Already done a lot of the most important changes, but this guide will inspire me to do the rest! Thanks a lot, really well written and explained.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
October 26 2012 21:02 GMT
#55
I really really like having a camera for chrono boost areas, as well as for my proxy pylon and 1 for each base.

If we're talking hotkeys. I would be really interested in what you think about TheCore.

Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 26 2012 21:05 GMT
#56
On October 27 2012 06:02 JaKaTaK wrote:
I really really like having a camera for chrono boost areas, as well as for my proxy pylon and 1 for each base.

If we're talking hotkeys. I would be really interested in what you think about TheCore.



If you have good building placement, your chronoboost area should be your main base...see the screenshot in this thread:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=332888
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
October 26 2012 21:11 GMT
#57
I completely disagree. Sometimes you want to hide tech. If all toss players put all their buildings in view of their nexus, then terran would always know everything with 1-2 scans. This idea is cool, but to do it every game, all the time, makes a player predictable and constrains creative building placement IMO.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
RemarK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States452 Posts
October 26 2012 21:50 GMT
#58
On October 27 2012 06:02 JaKaTaK wrote:
I really really like having a camera for chrono boost areas, as well as for my proxy pylon and 1 for each base.

If we're talking hotkeys. I would be really interested in what you think about TheCore.



Hmmm, I have trouble recommending any radically different hotkey structures (DarkGrid, TheCore, Chameleon, etc) for people of any league once they've got muscle memory for Default / the Grid hotkeys due to their steep learning curve. Here's a further explanation:

If you're a lower league player, you need to focus on basic mechanics. I haven't seen any evidence for these more complicated hotkey setups producing faster mechanical growth (although I'll definitely accept that they are optimized in the sense that your finger motions are more economical and efficient). For a lower league player to drop the mechanics they have to re-learn a more complicated scheme that will take longer to master is a tough sell to make.

If you're a pro or competitive level player, then chances are you already have good mechanics. It might be possible that you could achieve a higher level of mechanical proficiency by switching over to TheCore, but you'd have a steep learning curve where you are only capable of practicing mechanics and everyone else is both improving their mechanics AND developing new builds, keeping up with the metagame, etc.

I guess the way I see it is, you can already be very, very competent mechanically with default hotkeys using only minor adjustments. And as far as I can tell, there's no proof that once you get over the learning curve you improve faster. As an example from one of the testimonials in your thread:

"Top 8 gold 50% Win rate Standard keys
Top 25 Gold 0% win rate The Core 1-5days
Top 8 Gold 50% win rate The core 1 week- 2 weeks
Top 25 Plat 60%-70% win rate 2 weeks +"

This guy spent 5 days~ of practice to get back to his former skill level, where he remained for 2 weeks~, then got promoted to plat. That looks like an average / standard rate of skill progression to me - I think if he practiced as hard as he did after switching to TheCore, he would have gotten promoted in the same amount of time (2 weeks) minus the learning curve of new hotkeys (5 days).

I'll talk to Sandbox sometime and learn more about how it's affected his level of play, but I have trouble recommending Hotkey setups that are so different from standard hotkeys to anyone who already has muscle memory. I tried the DarkGrid setup for 2-3 weeks and found that even once I was used to it, my mechanics weren't any better than before and I had fallen behind my peers substantially in that time. I don't think the steep learning curve is worth the relatively small (potentially non-existent) reward.

For a new player though, someone with no muscle memory at all, then TheCore or any of those other setups could be a good fit, as the learning curve would be even with the normal hotkeys.
I <3 StarCraft.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
October 27 2012 01:01 GMT
#59
Yea, definitely talk to Sanddbox.

I feel like getting a promotion in 2 weeks is absolutely not a standard skill progression. Most people i know in the BSGP take months to get a promotion.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
DarkQ
Profile Joined July 2011
30 Posts
October 31 2012 23:16 GMT
#60
Nothing new, but for all standart Hotkey player, those changes are really good.

Only 'Q' and '^'(german keyboard ^^, the thing left to 1)
I use ^ for another controllgroup and Q to patrol
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings120
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 178
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 417
hero 350
BeSt 251
sorry 60
Mind 33
Bale 22
Terrorterran 21
ZergMaN 13
Noble 9
yabsab 9
[ Show more ]
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1072
League of Legends
JimRising 696
Counter-Strike
taco 385
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King143
Other Games
summit1g9353
Maynarde207
ArmadaUGS45
Livibee6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick507
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH346
• practicex 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2219
League of Legends
• Rush1266
• Stunt437
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 19m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.