• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:20
CEST 06:20
KST 13:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11196 users

[G] Protoss Hotkeys 101 - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
ant-1
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada149 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-22 13:25:35
October 22 2012 13:19 GMT
#21
You really should mention that for new players, grid is the best, because :
- everything is on the left side of the keyboard
- you use spatial memory instead of keyword memory, and you do not know keywords yet (Guardian shield means nothing to noobs, I know it took me like 2 months to remember the name of the glowing orb)
- Having the Attack key at T trains you to stretch your fingers
- You can switch race very easily (which can happen when you start, and hell you may even be random)

Of course you still need to remap camera hotkeys and keys like ` or space.

The tips section is very good but I slightly disapprove of the use of peripherals, which is not allowed in tournaments (I know, 99% of us are casuals).

Edit: you should also speak a little of how to disable the clicking on the control group bar and the top menu to avoid accidental clicking on them. Not really hotkeys, but related.
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-22 13:55:29
October 22 2012 13:51 GMT
#22
--- Nuked ---
_NIx_
Profile Joined June 2011
United States49 Posts
October 22 2012 15:34 GMT
#23
I really think that custom hotkeys are so much more efficient than Blizzard hotkeys that I can't imagine playing with the standard. JaKaTaK's setup just makes so much sense and has hotkeys closer.
Teno
Profile Joined November 2011
Germany80 Posts
October 22 2012 19:21 GMT
#24
i tried it now a bit its hard to structure it new because i had my own style using hotkeys but your ones is much more comfort and much easier to play thanks alot remark
PROtoss
RemarK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States452 Posts
October 22 2012 20:33 GMT
#25
On October 22 2012 22:19 ant-1 wrote:
You really should mention that for new players, grid is the best, because :
- everything is on the left side of the keyboard
- you use spatial memory instead of keyword memory, and you do not know keywords yet (Guardian shield means nothing to noobs, I know it took me like 2 months to remember the name of the glowing orb)
- Having the Attack key at T trains you to stretch your fingers
- You can switch race very easily (which can happen when you start, and hell you may even be random)

Of course you still need to remap camera hotkeys and keys like ` or space.

The tips section is very good but I slightly disapprove of the use of peripherals, which is not allowed in tournaments (I know, 99% of us are casuals).

Edit: you should also speak a little of how to disable the clicking on the control group bar and the top menu to avoid accidental clicking on them. Not really hotkeys, but related.


Hmmmm, good suggestion about bringing up the Control group icons. I'd also suggest turning off alerts and hiding the menu buttons as well. As for grid, I've never used it myself so it is hard for me to recommend it over modified default hotkeys or Jakatak's core hotkeys. One of the assumptions I made when writing this guide is that the person reading this has probably been playing Starcraft II for at least a month (I don't think many people discover the strategy section of TL until they've been playing for a bit), and thus have developed muscle memory with default hotkeys.

Also, I think you misread the peripherals section, as everything described there is tournament-legal. It would be illegal to use macro keys bound to a sequence of actions, but if a macro key is just bound to a normal key (like "k") then that is perfectly legal. Same thing with using a gaming mouse and taking advantage of the extra buttons, many of the top pros do similar tricks to me and use them in offline tournaments all the time :p
I <3 StarCraft.
DarkblueRH
Profile Joined October 2010
United States144 Posts
October 22 2012 21:07 GMT
#26
You can't install anything on your LAN computer.

Basically what this means is you can use anything that doesn't require a third party software to create your desired layout. This includes mouse and keyboard drivers. If your Razer black widow driver is not already installed on the LAN's computer, you cannot install it yourself. And since the macro keys are not recognized by Windows without the Razer drivers... You cannot use those keys in tournaments even if you would only set them to "k".

I don't know if MLG has Razer drivers installed but my local LAN does not.

Good news is that the thumb buttons on my Razer death adder are recognized by Windows as mouse 4 and 5 so I can use those at my LAN.
RelentlessHeroes.com
Corsica
Profile Joined February 2011
Ukraine1854 Posts
October 22 2012 21:15 GMT
#27
rebinding 0 to q i think is very good same with 9 to ` . QuanticState has same setup. I think if you want to play protoss at high level you have to bind your gateways to hotkey to see the progress of warpgate rather than spamming "wwwwwwwwwwwww" all day.
Eitros
Profile Joined June 2012
18 Posts
October 22 2012 21:37 GMT
#28
These sound like good adjustments. I'll try them next time I play.
RemarK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States452 Posts
October 22 2012 23:30 GMT
#29
On October 23 2012 06:15 Corsica wrote:
rebinding 0 to q i think is very good same with 9 to ` . QuanticState has same setup. I think if you want to play protoss at high level you have to bind your gateways to hotkey to see the progress of warpgate rather than spamming "wwwwwwwwwwwww" all day.


Hmm, I don't understand exactly what you're saying here - do you mean hotkey the unmorphed gateways as they are building (so that you can see the progress of them building)? If you're talking about the cooldown, when you press w it shows you the cooldown for warp cycles (unless I'm crazy)

Which reminds me of another optional tip - if you want to, you can rebind "w" to a control group for your warp gates - that way you can quickly morph gates into warpgates without losing the normal functionality of w. I'll be making a few changes / additions to the guide later tonight

@Darkblue, major tournaments (like MLG / Dreamhack / IPL) have all the mouse and keyboard drivers already installed, and if yours isn't installed, you can contact a ref / admin and they will help you solve the issue. I used my death adder at MLG Raleigh and the extra buttons on it with no problems. But you're right, it's probably not a good idea to rely on using drivers because some tournaments might be less accommodating than others.
I <3 StarCraft.
Ryder.
Profile Joined January 2011
1117 Posts
October 22 2012 23:45 GMT
#30
Do you know how to avoid adding warp gates to control groups in the first place? I know how I can remove them after the fact (I do it the same way you sai), but by that stage the damage is already done in that it wastes a few seconds of my time + I might double tap to get to my army and end up looking at my warp gates at an important moment...

I have tried to replicate adding my warpgates to army control group in games vs AI to see what I am doing that adds them, but I can never seem to replicate it in custom games; it only ever happens in real games when I'm trying to play fast under pressure -.-
lac29
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1485 Posts
October 23 2012 00:04 GMT
#31
Thank you for this ... it'll be useful since I'm learning P.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
October 23 2012 01:37 GMT
#32
On October 23 2012 08:45 Ryder. wrote:
Do you know how to avoid adding warp gates to control groups in the first place? I know how I can remove them after the fact (I do it the same way you sai), but by that stage the damage is already done in that it wastes a few seconds of my time + I might double tap to get to my army and end up looking at my warp gates at an important moment...

I have tried to replicate adding my warpgates to army control group in games vs AI to see what I am doing that adds them, but I can never seem to replicate it in custom games; it only ever happens in real games when I'm trying to play fast under pressure -.-


You are either holding shift while you warp in and not releasing shift before boxing your new units to be added, or, if you're not holding shift, then you're simply pressing it down pre-maturely before the boxing of new units is complete.

Two options, either be more conscientious about releasing shift or get in the habit of activating your army control group after warping in, then add the new units.
freizya
Profile Joined October 2012
United States223 Posts
October 23 2012 02:04 GMT
#33
whats your load hotkey? l is across the kayboard -_-
evaunit01
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States512 Posts
October 23 2012 02:20 GMT
#34
Nice guide remark, as a Diamond player I have been really wanting to incorporate camera hotkeys and mouse hotkeys, I love your tips for removing warppgates when you warp in units and for using the camera keys for proxy pylons. I will try and use them more. I also had no idea you could tab when you have more than one production unit on a single hotkey. Thanks!
Gamertag: William T. Riker - My life for Aiur!
Roxas146
Profile Joined June 2012
United States7 Posts
October 23 2012 02:22 GMT
#35
I only have one suggestion for improvement.

Assuming you're playing with life bars on as "always", you're never going to use the Alt key. Change Alt key to idle worker and make the tilde (`/~) key to cycle bases. It's particularly useful for Zerg. You can change the push-to-talk button to backspace if you really want to. The "show all life bars" key will remain unbound but it's never going to need to be used.
Adventure
Profile Joined January 2012
United States16 Posts
October 23 2012 03:00 GMT
#36
How do you add an army so fast to a control group?
Brotoss<3 Bisu|Huk|Rain|Squirtle|MC
J.E.G.
Profile Joined May 2010
United States389 Posts
October 23 2012 04:20 GMT
#37
Forges on nexus hotkey.... genius!!
Do or do not; there is no try.
LiLSighKoh
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States588 Posts
October 23 2012 04:34 GMT
#38
I can't emphasize enough about camera hotkeys. I've been using F1-F5 for my bases exactly like yours for a long time, and it really really helps.
"Want some? Go get some!"
jormando
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland24 Posts
October 23 2012 05:30 GMT
#39
Useful tip, which i didnt see (but sorry if this old news):

Bind warp-in to mouse 4
Bind jump to location 1 to mouse 5

This allows fast warp-ins with using mouse sidebuttons, and leaves w free for another group hotkey.
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-23 09:25:12
October 23 2012 09:24 GMT
#40
Do many Protoss not keep their Gates hotkeyed even after WG research? I see above, Remark, that you don't seem to have a hotkey for your Gates, unless I have missed it. This is something I have seen before in other Protoss' hotkey set ups. I take it most Protoss just use the W key? I keep 6 for my Gates then Warpgates and only press W when actually warping in units.

Personally, I find it easier to keep track of WG cooldown that way as I can tab 456 or 567 and so on.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings120
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta17
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 247
NeuroSwarm 190
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 354
hero 74
sorry 27
Bale 19
ZergMaN 11
Terrorterran 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1111
League of Legends
JimRising 718
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King144
Other Games
summit1g9440
Maynarde202
ArmadaUGS38
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick498
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 138
• Berry_CruncH134
• practicex 27
• Letter144
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota274
League of Legends
• Rush1072
• Stunt261
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 40m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 40m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 40m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.