• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:34
CEST 04:34
KST 11:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9256 users

[G] PvZ Cheese: Dark Templar Expand Redux - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
bertu
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil871 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-14 13:38:06
October 14 2012 13:34 GMT
#41
Sure, I am all in a favor for the occasional cheese, but I like my risky strategies to have more ways to hide information, so I can have a better chance to trick my opponent. With this 1-gate DT openings, in the current metagame, it seems like zerg has to do basic scouting and perform a basic textbook response, so I don't like it very much.

That said, I could see it working if P proxy hides the DT tech, show an extra sentry (even if it delayes the tech) and/or gets a stalker to deny overlord scouting. A faster nexus with less zealots could work as well, I suppose, even if it is harder to hold... risking to show the zealots is such a gigantic giveaway.

In other words, I think the OP strategy is close to the most optimal way to get faster DT's and expand, but since this strategy relies on your opponent making a misread (it is very hard to transition if you don't do a ton of damage), it could be better to make it less resource efficient and more tricksy.

In PvP openings, for instance, you can do close to no damage with DT's and still have a shot (depending on your opponent BO), but in PvZ it won't work that way since all popular Z openings could punish this.
SEKO SEKO SEKO
yazoo
Profile Joined December 2011
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-14 15:55:27
October 14 2012 15:50 GMT
#42
Hello,
I have a bug when i open replays.
Some elements on the map are missing. Like minerals, buildings..
Do you have the same problem?
-xRisk-
Profile Joined June 2012
United States11 Posts
October 14 2012 18:41 GMT
#43
As a zerg if I see toss gate open I just go 2 base with detection and ling muta and watch his expo,if he takes a 3rd I pounce, if he stays on 2 base with gateway/core opening I can always expect dts, ALWAYS, its very easy to predict it and is very fun to slaughter this build. [But yes you are correct the zerg must scout your gate/core insted of FFE] Also have noticed protoss who do this don't have cannons to stop any mutalisk play harrass which is very very effective against this.
"Pursue your dream until you cant go furthur"
ZaloMonkada
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States86 Posts
October 14 2012 19:18 GMT
#44
On September 14 2012 08:18 monk. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 03:07 AGIANTSMURF wrote:
the problem with a build like this arises when the zerg is smart and defends your dt's, then follows up with a large roach push (with overseers of course) and your sentry count is abysmally low so you just flat out die.

This is exactly why I transition directly into a Robotics Facility. I should have enough Force Fields to buy myself time to get Immortals out on the field and at that point Sentry/Immortal/Stalker > Roaches. I've not experienced hardcore Roach timing-attacks enough to judge how that would pan out, but against some of the moderate Roach pressure responses I've seen I've never had a problem.

I want to emphasize this. I don't believe it's possible to defend a roach counter if your opponent defends the dts perfectly. It has more to do with delayed sentries with low energy/low gas count rather than immortal timing. See Inca vs Nestea GSL finals.

This is because the map pool back then had open areas like in xelnaga caverns or really big chokes leading to the natural. On todays maps, you can defend with a handful of sentries on maps like Ohana and cloud kingdom.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 14 2012 19:29 GMT
#45
Two of the games of Inca vs Nestea were played on Terminus and Tal'darim Altar...
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
las91
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States5080 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-14 20:14:53
October 14 2012 20:12 GMT
#46
On October 15 2012 04:29 Teoita wrote:
Two of the games of Inca vs Nestea were played on Terminus and Tal'darim Altar...


Which both have incredibly large walloffs or walloffs at the Nexus to help defend. FFEing on TDA was always horrible, I don't know any Protoss who liked that map on release or even to this day. I don't know if you've ever played on Terminus, but the map is absolutely huge and still is even with today's map pool.

Inca did this build 4 times in a row and NesTea absolutely stomped it. I think that should be enough evidence to know that anyone who has seen those games will know how to crush this build. As much as I like DTs, having a separate building for them entirely just destroys any good anti-roach transitions if you want sentries as well.

EDIT: Also if you're going to do this build you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT let the Z see 3 zealots. As soon as he sees that there should be alarm bells the size of Mt. Everest going off in his head that he's facing something somewhat cheesy and he should get detection and anti-air immediately.
In Inca we trust
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 14 2012 21:00 GMT
#47
The area in front of the nat of CK for example isn't that much bigger than Terminus tbh, and the rush distances are far longer. I was just pointing out how his point on being able to defend roach counters is still true on modern maps, given it worked on Terminus.

I agree on not showing the zealots, i actually used to get a stalker when gateway expanding, stargate expanding or doing this to deny scouting.

And yeah, of course this build will get stomped if you do it 4 times in a row, as i posted before this is not a standard macro build...and guess what, there's "cheese" in the name of the thread.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-14 22:14:17
October 14 2012 21:58 GMT
#48
--- Nuked ---
bertu
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil871 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-14 23:18:02
October 14 2012 23:17 GMT
#49
On October 15 2012 06:58 Sated wrote:

Show nested quote +
On October 14 2012 22:34 DontGiveUp wrote:
... but in PvZ it won't work that way since all popular Z openings could punish this.

As stated several times in this thread, it's really only a massive Roach counter that scares me when I use this build and I personally believe that I can only hold that type of response on maps with a 2 Force Field ramp at the natural. An economic response doesn't scare me because I'm not cutting that much economy relative to a standard 2 Gate Sentry Expand and because I'm also ensuring that the opponent can't take a third base until they have mobile detection.


What I meant is that zergs get economing openings with timely evo chamber / lair, that he can rush or delay base on scouting. The roach mass is a reaction after he saw your building, that all popular openings can achieve if they take little damage. Sorry if I wasn`t clear.

I really like the idea of going stalker(s) to deny info or sell other builds, as you pointed out. Stalker expand is safe in most maps if zerg goes 14 hatch 16 pool, which is the most popular opening right now. Seed does that from time to time.
SEKO SEKO SEKO
FortMonty
Profile Joined May 2012
United States63 Posts
October 15 2012 00:19 GMT
#50
This build is fun and cheesy. I think it's actually a really viable build to do in a BOx situation, especially if you're on like the 3rd game of the series and you opened a gate expand the previous 2 games and did completely different transitions, I think it MAY catch your opponent off guard. Sometimes making a build obvious, makes it the most lethal, if you do 2 different variations before doing this build, the opponent may be scared to do what you would normally want to do against something like this out of fear of what might happen if it turns out that they were wrong about what to expect.

I may not have articulated that explanation very well, but hopefully people get what I mean. In a BOx series, this build would be nice provided you take the necessary precautions to make it effective.
Expect Nothing, Prepare for Anything.
ImNightmare
Profile Joined May 2012
1575 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-15 00:31:59
October 15 2012 00:31 GMT
#51
I really doubt most zergs will delay tech if you open gateway gas expand, I mean I am a grandmaster zerg and I have always open 14 pool, 16 decision, hatch if you go forge, gas queen if you open gateway cyber. :/ This is quite a bad opening, you are relying on your opponent misreading the situation, pretty gimmicky.
But then again, I am sure there will be people who are over confident and this build would punish them I suppose.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-15 01:05:20
October 15 2012 01:04 GMT
#52
--- Nuked ---
ImNightmare
Profile Joined May 2012
1575 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 08:47:31
October 16 2012 08:47 GMT
#53
On October 15 2012 10:04 Sated wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2012 09:31 ImNightmare wrote:
I really doubt most zergs will delay tech if you open gateway gas expand, I mean I am a grandmaster zerg and I have always open 14 pool, 16 decision, hatch if you go forge, gas queen if you open gateway cyber. :/ This is quite a bad opening, you are relying on your opponent misreading the situation, pretty gimmicky.
But then again, I am sure there will be people who are over confident and this build would punish them I suppose.

The title says "Cheese" for a reason. The thread says that this relies on the opponent reacting badly for a reason. Etc.

There was no cheese in the title when I clicked on it. maybe op edited it or something.
Edit: oh shit you are the op, while I didn't see any cheese when I clicked on it the last time.
Surili
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom1141 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 12:50:46
October 16 2012 12:50 GMT
#54
On October 16 2012 17:47 ImNightmare wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2012 10:04 Sated wrote:
On October 15 2012 09:31 ImNightmare wrote:
I really doubt most zergs will delay tech if you open gateway gas expand, I mean I am a grandmaster zerg and I have always open 14 pool, 16 decision, hatch if you go forge, gas queen if you open gateway cyber. :/ This is quite a bad opening, you are relying on your opponent misreading the situation, pretty gimmicky.
But then again, I am sure there will be people who are over confident and this build would punish them I suppose.

The title says "Cheese" for a reason. The thread says that this relies on the opponent reacting badly for a reason. Etc.

There was no cheese in the title when I clicked on it. maybe op edited it or something.
Edit: oh shit you are the op, while I didn't see any cheese when I clicked on it the last time.


It was there the whole time.

People are referring the the timing as "text book" for zerg detection, and yet it just doesn't seem the case for me. Maybe zergs have forgotten gateway timed DTs? Maybe i am good at hiding it? I don't know, but it seems to be working.
The world is ending what should we do about it?
ImNightmare
Profile Joined May 2012
1575 Posts
October 16 2012 12:56 GMT
#55
On October 16 2012 21:50 Surili wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2012 17:47 ImNightmare wrote:
On October 15 2012 10:04 Sated wrote:
On October 15 2012 09:31 ImNightmare wrote:
I really doubt most zergs will delay tech if you open gateway gas expand, I mean I am a grandmaster zerg and I have always open 14 pool, 16 decision, hatch if you go forge, gas queen if you open gateway cyber. :/ This is quite a bad opening, you are relying on your opponent misreading the situation, pretty gimmicky.
But then again, I am sure there will be people who are over confident and this build would punish them I suppose.

The title says "Cheese" for a reason. The thread says that this relies on the opponent reacting badly for a reason. Etc.

There was no cheese in the title when I clicked on it. maybe op edited it or something.
Edit: oh shit you are the op, while I didn't see any cheese when I clicked on it the last time.


It was there the whole time.

People are referring the the timing as "text book" for zerg detection, and yet it just doesn't seem the case for me. Maybe zergs have forgotten gateway timed DTs? Maybe i am good at hiding it? I don't know, but it seems to be working.

I would say its thanks to the immortal sentry all in. 3 spores means 3 less drones with 200+ minerals lost, 200 minerals is about 8 lings minus the mining time from the 3 drones, it actually affects a lot so dts are quite good this days as a meta game breaker
Aelfric
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Turkey1496 Posts
October 16 2012 14:34 GMT
#56
This build highly depends on your opponent to make scouting mistakes. As a mid-high master player in EU i tried it few times and didn't really like it. I wouldn't recommend anyone.
Tomorrow never comes until its too late...
S:klogW
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria657 Posts
October 16 2012 15:04 GMT
#57
I do this all the time
E = 1.89 eV = 3.03 x 10^(-19) J
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-23 22:01:54
October 17 2012 03:33 GMT
#58
--- Nuked ---
doffe
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden636 Posts
October 17 2012 04:11 GMT
#59
Im not sure why people keep saying this wont work because this and that. Obviously this wont work if prepared for correctly :p. The asumption OP makes, and the reasoning behind most gate - core before expand openings is that the zerg doesnt respond correctly. Its metagame nothing else =).

As a mid master zerg I must say Ive gotten suprised quite a few times when seeing a none forge expo build due to pretty damn late scouting. Ive never lost to a onebase timing after it though but I find myself in a small state of confusion and apparently have forgotten how to properly prepare for all eventualities and have several times gotten behind due to poor droning and subsequently lost in the mid to lategame. Something that rarely happens vs a forgeexpo.

Not saying that this is the norm though, Since then ive started scouting a bit earlier and now I wouldnt say gate-core openings are good vs me anymore but being so used to forge expo vs 3hatch mixing in some different types of gas expands is pretty smart imo. Although using a dt expand as your standard PvZ build probably is a bad idea if you ever have want to play a BoX series against a zerg :p. Its kinda like those zergs 100% 6-7-8pooling vs toss... well, u might win some, but youll never actually improve =).

Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-17 17:00:27
October 17 2012 16:59 GMT
#60
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft444
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft444
RuFF_SC2 131
Nina 68
-ZergGirl 50
CosmosSc2 45
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2266
Artosis 561
yabsab 14
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto13
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1152
taco 407
minikerr19
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox659
Other Games
summit1g7319
JimRising 658
Day[9].tv499
C9.Mang0380
WinterStarcraft166
ViBE165
Maynarde149
Livibee132
Sick107
ArmadaUGS39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1018
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream151
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP29
• Response 16
• OhrlRock 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv499
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 26m
Stellar Fest
10h 26m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.