• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:57
CEST 04:57
KST 11:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8413 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 34

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 432 Next
Sickan
Profile Joined May 2012
Sweden19 Posts
July 09 2012 21:14 GMT
#661
You rock JaKaTaK, every update makes TheCore even better! I wonder how more efficient it can get tho, haha.
Tzuborg
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway171 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 09:42:20
July 10 2012 09:38 GMT
#662
On July 10 2012 00:14 Cheshyr wrote:
So what's the geenral opinion at this point? I'm about to embark on a mechanics retraining, and it seems like that would be the best time to adopt a new hotkey layout. Are we still looking at massive overhauls, or is it safe to pick this up now? Are existing users actually noticing an improvement in speed, accuracy, or lack of fatigue?


It's so worth retraining yourself that you have no idea. It doesn't even take that long. I'm better than I was before, and I feel like I still improve exponentially. At the moment it is mostly because of tabbed production and easy access to location keys, but there are tons of other small stuff that adds up. Using multiple control groups is also very advantageous with this layout, but I haven't yet gotten to that point myself.

My APM used be at around 90-100 by spamming in the beginning of the game, and then it'd slowly go down to about 70 mid game. Now it starts at 100 before proceeding to rise to about 140 mid game.

Now, I'm using kinda my own customization of theCore. E.g. I don't completely follow the "no repetitive clicks" idea as don't really think it's that significant, so my build commands are set up a little different. My location keys are also set up differently. I found ctrl+shift+key to be a bit problematic for recalling, so I'm using just ctrl+key instead. Overall it's about the same, though.

Huge thanks to Jakatak for making this happen! I don't think I've said that yet =)
Phatency
Profile Joined May 2010
Finland38 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 11:31:28
July 10 2012 11:30 GMT
#663
On July 10 2012 05:14 JaKaTaK wrote:

TheCore 0.3.2 is released!!!
-High Templar and Sentry abilities improved!
-Hallucination priority applied to all layouts (no random keys for hallucinate probe)

It seems you might've forgotten ZRMM
Changelog: (bottom) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArSoDiKab2yCdEZtWUxmZ3dxQXBjX0hRQ3haYmhZVFE#gid=0
Mahtasooma
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany475 Posts
July 10 2012 11:43 GMT
#664
I'm just wondering...

...are you guys only optimizing easy to access keys to often used functions?

Because, as I already stated, I feel like the FLOW of often used functions in SUCCESSION is more important.

I have hatcheries on P, select larvae on O, produce drones on I and main army on J. So I can just go a fluent POIJ and I produced a drone and am back to my main army.
http://twitch.tv/mahtasooma
aka_star
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United Kingdom1546 Posts
July 10 2012 13:31 GMT
#665
On July 10 2012 20:43 Mahtasooma wrote:
I'm just wondering...

...are you guys only optimizing easy to access keys to often used functions?

Because, as I already stated, I feel like the FLOW of often used functions in SUCCESSION is more important.

I have hatcheries on P, select larvae on O, produce drones on I and main army on J. So I can just go a fluent POIJ and I produced a drone and am back to my main army.


what are you using for attack?... since J is attack
FlashDave.999 aka Star
Phatency
Profile Joined May 2010
Finland38 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 18:49:44
July 10 2012 13:37 GMT
#666
On July 10 2012 20:43 Mahtasooma wrote:
I'm just wondering...

...are you guys only optimizing easy to access keys to often used functions?

Because, as I already stated, I feel like the FLOW of often used functions in SUCCESSION is more important.

I have hatcheries on P, select larvae on O, produce drones on I and main army on J. So I can just go a fluent POIJ and I produced a drone and am back to my main army.

If your main army is on J, that screws up the 2-2 split (index-middle - ring-pinky) for your main army completely. You can't use abilities as quickly with your main army, because a lot of the abilities are used with the same finger. Abilities also include attack and hold commands. Same issue happens when you produce units with your pinky - you will end up reselecting your main army slower after producing them. All in all, I think you concentrate too much on only being able to make drones fast. (which is already pretty fast with the regular core)
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
July 10 2012 19:05 GMT
#667
Happy birthday Jak :D
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 19:59:50
July 10 2012 19:58 GMT
#668
On July 10 2012 20:43 Mahtasooma wrote:
I'm just wondering...

...are you guys only optimizing easy to access keys to often used functions?

Because, as I already stated, I feel like the FLOW of often used functions in SUCCESSION is more important.

I have hatcheries on P, select larvae on O, produce drones on I and main army on J. So I can just go a fluent POIJ and I produced a drone and am back to my main army.


We have thought EXTENSIVELY about the flow of often used functions in succession.

The issue with your example, is that you have only listed one commonly used function, and not an entire hotkey layout.
Your idea is very interesting to me and I would be interested in seeing if you can make a layout based on the assumption that hatcheries are on P, select larvae on O, produce drones on I and main army on J. How would the FLOW of everything else in the layout feel?

Send me a file of said Sc2 hotkey layout and I'll check it out for flow.

EDIT: Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!!!!!!

We are now streaming, I'll be answering any questions about TheCore, The Level System, or anything else you would like to ask, as well as playing with TheCore 0.3.2 on the Ladder.

http://www.twitch.tv/thejakatak
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Dephy
Profile Joined January 2011
Lithuania163 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 20:55:42
July 10 2012 20:33 GMT
#669
i downloaded this to try it, since im a terran, use right hand for mouse, so i downloaded, TheCore TRM 0.3.2, but it seems either bugged, retarded or i did something wrong, but everything seems to be on right side of the keyboard except move command(which is on totaly obscure location on Q, compared to all other keys). and it doesnt seem cofortable to add units to control groups and stuff.
uoeahtns
Profile Joined February 2012
52 Posts
July 10 2012 21:05 GMT
#670
On July 11 2012 05:33 Dephy wrote:
i downloaded this to try it, since im a terran, use right hand for mouse, so i downloaded, TheCore TRM 0.3.2, but it seems either bugged, retarded or i did something wrong, but everything seems to be on right side of the keyboard except move command(which is on totaly obscure location on Q, compared to all other keys). and it doesnt seem cofortable to add units to control groups and stuff.


That's the point of the layout. You pull out the right windows key and the menu key so you can press shift, control, /, and alt with your thumb while your fingers rest on p,o,i, and j.
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
July 10 2012 23:23 GMT
#671
Jak, you should put some big note in red text near the top of the OP which says "Everything is supposed to be on the other side of the keyboard. Stop asking."
Dephy
Profile Joined January 2011
Lithuania163 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 04:31:31
July 11 2012 04:29 GMT
#672
On July 11 2012 06:05 uoeahtns wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2012 05:33 Dephy wrote:
i downloaded this to try it, since im a terran, use right hand for mouse, so i downloaded, TheCore TRM 0.3.2, but it seems either bugged, retarded or i did something wrong, but everything seems to be on right side of the keyboard except move command(which is on totaly obscure location on Q, compared to all other keys). and it doesnt seem cofortable to add units to control groups and stuff.


That's the point of the layout. You pull out the right windows key and the menu key so you can press shift, control, /, and alt with your thumb while your fingers rest on p,o,i, and j.

i didnt really use my thumb to press hotkeys before t.t

And i dont really understand about pulling right window key and menu key? why i need to pull them out?
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 09:39:06
July 11 2012 09:06 GMT
#673
What are the main differences between the RLMM (random, lefthanded, 5 mouse button) layout and the individual layouts? I play Zerg primarily at the moment, but I've only been playing for a month or so and would like to be able to switch to random at some point.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tarqon
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands27 Posts
July 11 2012 09:42 GMT
#674
Phatency, thank you for doing the changelogs, they are really useful.


What do you guys think of the free camera hotkeys? I want to incorporate a rallypoint cam and a creep cam into my play but I'm having a hard time pressing those keys fluidly.
myk3
Profile Joined June 2010
Austria80 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 10:20:26
July 11 2012 10:18 GMT
#675
i didnt really use my thumb to press hotkeys before t.t

And i dont really understand about pulling right window key and menu key? why i need to pull them out?


Try to hit ctrl + shift simultaneously without hitting windows / menu key while your other fingers rest on jiop. There u go.
Banj0
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden53 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 12:27:01
July 11 2012 11:07 GMT
#676
The design filosophy behind this layout is very interesting to me, looking forward to trying it!

About me:
- lefty mouse user
- 35+ years old, not so fast learner.
- nordic keyboard layout. (Logitech K120 non-gaming cheap and quiet keyboard, per wifes request),
- Horrible SC2 player, bronze/silver with 25-30 APM.

From reading the topic, it is obvious that home position should be one where shift is readily accessible and resting under your thumb. On nordic keyboards, the left shift key is very small and makes it easy to press control by mistake. From the video, I see that Jak can easily alternate between control an shift with the thumb (with the windows key out of the way), but I find i have to shift my whole hand forward to press shift. When resting my fingers on the WERG homeposition, my thumb is resting comfortably at the lower edge of the left control key. So when I reach up for shift, my hand claws up a little. It feels like I am pressing buttons X-C-V with my nail for than the fingertip, not with the fleshy part.

finger rolling/dexterity: I find it very uncomfortable to roll/tap my fingers from index to pinky, but pinky to index is very natural. Does this change? For example, making drones are now w-e-g, but g-e-w rolls much nicer. I am definately index/middlefinger dominated, just wondering if that changes?
maLaK1
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany124 Posts
July 11 2012 14:36 GMT
#677
in my 3.2 ZRM version the base camera key is unbound, is that intentional or a mistake?
it was ALT before,
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
July 11 2012 14:44 GMT
#678
On July 11 2012 23:36 maLaK1 wrote:
in my 3.2 ZRM version the base camera key is unbound, is that intentional or a mistake?
it was ALT before,

You mean center on current selection or base camera?

Because it was center on current selection last I checked. Might be wrong.
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
July 11 2012 15:00 GMT
#679
Another question. Looking at the suggest control groups for Zerg, I see "Queens/all ups". What does "all ups" mean? All the upgrade facilities? So you just tab between the buildings I assume?
maLaK1
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany124 Posts
July 11 2012 15:01 GMT
#680
On July 11 2012 23:44 Antylamon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2012 23:36 maLaK1 wrote:
in my 3.2 ZRM version the base camera key is unbound, is that intentional or a mistake?
it was ALT before,

You mean center on current selection or base camera?

Because it was center on current selection last I checked. Might be wrong.


i meant center on current selection
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 200
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 564
NaDa 50
TT1 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g10181
JimRising 738
WinterStarcraft325
Mew2King93
ViBE93
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1354
BasetradeTV255
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream151
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 91
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush613
• Lourlo425
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 3m
INu's Battles
9h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
Replay Cast
20h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.