• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:35
CEST 14:35
KST 21:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8911 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 123

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 121 122 123 124 125 432 Next
Photon99
Profile Joined March 2012
7 Posts
February 07 2013 17:08 GMT
#2441
On February 08 2013 00:57 JDub wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2013 00:13 Photon99 wrote:
Gold Protoss here, considering making the switch.

Currently the way I build structures (using modified standard) is that I have a worker who I bind to 8 at the beginning of the game and use CAPS as a alias for 8. So to build something I press CAPS CAPS (selects and centers the screen on the worker) then B E (build pylon) and click where I want it, then shift rt click a mineral patch. Probably not the optimal way but it has been fine for me.

Does anyone else bind a builder? What is the recommended keystroke combination used for building something with the core?

Thanks very much!

I don't think binding a builder is the best way to do it, since you will run into issues: What happens if that builder isn't at the base that you want to build at? What happens if that worker is killed? If that worker is mining gas, will you remember to shift+click back to gas instead of minerals? Moreover, that method is specific to Protoss and if you ever want to switch races you'll have to learn how to do it without using a control group on a worker. I would make one exception, though, for certain openings (e.g. FFE) where you want one dedicated worker who will build your expo, forge, gateway, and serve to fill in the gap in your wall while you wait for the first zealot.

The recommended method for building in general would be this: Base cam for the base you want to build at (shift+key), select a worker by boxing or clicking, and then build the structure, and shift+click back to minerals.

That said, TheCore has more than enough easy to access control groups for you to use one on a worker to build your structres. There are already 3 control groups that have a suggested use of Scout / Harass, so you could easily use one of those for your building worker.


Thanks for the reply.

I don't seen to have most of the problems you mentioned:
If the worker dies (say to a reaper harass) I bind another worker once the harass is over (at the same time I'm making sure there are 3 on each gas again etc)
If I want to build at an expansion then I don't use the builder, I use the method you mentioned.
When I assign workers to gas I press CAPS to check if I got unlucky and sent the builder to gas. If I did I rebind a new builder (happens about once in 3 games). This never happens with my first gas because at the start of the game I temporarily bind 3 other workers to a harass group and use the group to quickly put 3 on gas when it is ready.

I'll give your method a try when I switch. Thanks!
Time flies like a rocket, fruit flies like a banana
DW-Unrec
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
492 Posts
February 07 2013 18:18 GMT
#2442
On February 05 2013 12:06 JaKaTaK wrote:
@DW

That is really interesting... its easier for you to hit F1, F2, F3 than R, F and X? Which keys do you rest your fingers on?


I think its easier for me to stretch my fingers upwards than sideways or downwards. I rest them on Shift, Q, between 2 and 3, 4 and spacebar.
vBr
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden193 Posts
February 07 2013 19:38 GMT
#2443
Been considering whether I should bother transitioning. Highmaster random player and a little concerned that the transition will be painful. I am especially concerned about being forced to use my pinky. After only some brief testing, my pinky is already hurting a little. Any reassuring words?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-07 20:27:04
February 07 2013 20:21 GMT
#2444
I strongly suggest against a "builder" CG for the reasons JDub states, as well as a few others. Its easier for sure, but it can be extremely inefficient if you don't rehotkey a builder in certain situations and make sure you know where it is at all times... which is much less work compared to the alternative of grabbing a worker that just returned minerals.

On February 08 2013 04:38 vBr wrote:
Been considering whether I should bother transitioning. Highmaster random player and a little concerned that the transition will be painful. I am especially concerned about being forced to use my pinky. After only some brief testing, my pinky is already hurting a little. Any reassuring words?


Your pinky is one of the strongest fingers in your hand, with a very high potential for dexterity and independent motion. However, your pinky is untrained. You should rest when your pinky starts feeling sore. Its like building any other muscle, with the exception that the muscles that control the pinky are very small, so you should be careful not to push them too hard. It shouldn't take you much longer than 2 weeks to start to really pick up on your improvement rate.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
muLe
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany30 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-07 21:15:52
February 07 2013 21:10 GMT
#2445
Hi JaKaTak,
thumbs up for all the effort you are putting into this

last year i switched form Grid to Darkgrid, now I will switch from Darkgrid to TheCore (with HotS release).
I think I will change some hotkeys to my style, but keeping the main theme, I think it should pay out.

The reason why I liked Darkgrid was that it helped me to use the camera locations.
I am trying out theCore with HotS
Now in TheCore you took out so many free camera shortcuts in exchange for those ctr+alt layered cameras shortcuts.
I don't like this, I prefer to create a free camera location, I don't get the point why you prefer those alt+ctrl+key shortcuts (alt+ctrl-> which will auto center the camera on the unit .... )

ohhh I can't find a shortcut for "cancel selection" maybe that would have solved my problem that I have with the center screen function. wow i could have sworn that we have in SC2 a "cancel selection" when pressing escape ... just checked out WoL with standard hotkeys ... no cancel selection on ESC ... oO?

EU-Server ID: HotPotToFU
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 07 2013 21:17 GMT
#2446
@Mule

The 6 layered cameras are for bases (1 for warp in if you play toss), and it is beneficial to have these centered. Keep in mind that you can set all of your cameras ahead of time by holding alt and then clicking on the area you want to hotkey (see FAQ for detailed instructions). And we traded 1 free cam for 1 layered cam. I wouldn't necessarily call that so many

In any case, I hope you enjoy TheCore
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
muLe
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany30 Posts
February 07 2013 21:30 GMT
#2447
On February 08 2013 06:17 JaKaTaK wrote:
@Mule

The 6 layered cameras are for bases (1 for warp in if you play toss), and it is beneficial to have these centered. Keep in mind that you can set all of your cameras ahead of time by holding alt and then clicking on the area you want to hotkey (see FAQ for detailed instructions). And we traded 1 free cam for 1 layered cam. I wouldn't necessarily call that so many

In any case, I hope you enjoy TheCore


But didn't we have 8 free cameras in Darkgrid?
@hold alt and reclick on the map: thx, didn't think about that!!!
EU-Server ID: HotPotToFU
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 07 2013 21:34 GMT
#2448
oooooo, I understand. The Layered cameras in Darkgrid were not centering ones... It all becomes clear now...
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
February 08 2013 18:20 GMT
#2449
On February 06 2013 11:45 Aummadour wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 06:48 Lobotomist wrote:
I've got a couple of questions specific to zerg right medium, if anyone has some experience using it.

1) How are you hotkeying your army? there's a suggested key for infestor ";" but the rest just say harass (or hots units). what has worked for people?
2) how many hatcheries are you injecting, in the late game? with the 6 layered camera keys you could get 6 hatches, but is this really necessary? are there other preferred uses for these keys?

edit: also, out of shear curiosity, does anytime use the large hotkey setups? my left hand is pretty wide (octave +2 white keys on piano comfortably) and the large setups seem enormous.


Hi, I am a plat zerg who has been using the core for about 4 months now. I use the following set up with The Core ZRM 0.6:

9 main army
0 brood lords
- vipers
L mutas
; infestors
' swarm hosts
P hatch
P* all queens
[ Creep queens
] Ovies and tech buildings


Based on the game i can reuse control groups based on situation, for example ' is also my scouting drone at game start and sometimes i hotkey spines to this as well. 0 can be blings with 9 lings in early zvz games.

I inject 6 bases plus the macro hatch or two i might have, i never found the need to have more than that.

I only use ZRM, no experience with the large hotkey set ups.

Hope this helps.

-Aummadour


I just now understood that the suggested cg keys are placed where they are so you can use the ability keys with other fingers, while the rest of the keys are open. I feel dumb.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
hyrenfreak
Profile Joined April 2011
United States23 Posts
February 09 2013 06:17 GMT
#2450
i cant figure out how i choose which one i should get
Isidor
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden5 Posts
February 09 2013 12:07 GMT
#2451
What control group do you suggest I use for Widow Mines? Same as tanks? A harrass group?

And thanks for your work with The Core, its truly awesome.
Que sera sera
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 09 2013 13:57 GMT
#2452
@hyrenfreak
You have watched the 2nd video in the OP, right?

@Isidor
Widow Mines may need their own CG. If you're using them for harass then I'd have them on a harass group, but otherwise you might want to give them their own CG. If you were to put mines on your Tank CG then you'd have to tab to get to one of their abilities.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Laquendi
Profile Joined October 2010
Finland35 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-09 19:12:23
February 09 2013 19:11 GMT
#2453
Bug report time: In RRM layout, hellbat is V and should be M. (v. 0.6.1)

I just started to use core yesterday and I like what I'm seeing. I use 3 different keyboard layouts and I had my own custom SC2 hotkeys anyway, so switching isn't maybe that hard for me. All your button placements seem very natural and easy to learn.
kamidesu
Profile Joined December 2012
Thailand25 Posts
February 09 2013 20:12 GMT
#2454
The japanese layout for the core...
Is their anybody with it
I really want to try the core
Fruit Dealer ;D First SC2 KING / Jaedong the One and Only Real kING
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 09 2013 22:29 GMT
#2455
I haven't been able to get the Japanese version of TheCore figured out yet. It'll be out as soon as I can do it. Sry
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
February 10 2013 05:04 GMT
#2456
On February 08 2013 04:38 vBr wrote:
Been considering whether I should bother transitioning. Highmaster random player and a little concerned that the transition will be painful. I am especially concerned about being forced to use my pinky. After only some brief testing, my pinky is already hurting a little. Any reassuring words?


DISCLAIMER: I'm a silver player, so your mileage may vary.

Since I started using TheCore, my EPM has gone up from 30 to 90 (and APM from 70 to 140). I find manage stuff much easier and thing are just done quicker! It's also much more comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, that I have changed my hotkeys in other games to mirror TheCore! I definitely recommend it to everyone, although muscle memory could be a barrier. To remedy that, I recommend learning the core along with TheStaircase (or just a hotkey trainer map).

glhf
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
February 10 2013 05:06 GMT
#2457
@Lobotomist: your signature made me LOL hard! :D
TheOnlyRedViper
Profile Joined September 2012
Norway20 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-10 18:15:05
February 10 2013 17:22 GMT
#2458
I have been interested in switching to the core for a while now, I finally decided to switch yesterday.
I wanted to ask about the Injects, in the core it seems very natural to select the queens, hold shift and then cycle through your bases clicking on the hatch. T
his is both fast and efficient. However when I add a macro hatch(es), this seems to be impossible as queens are running all around!
What I used to do before was not holding down shift, but If I do not hold down shit the whole point of the shift modifier on the queen control group, followed up by shift clicking to recall base camera seems a bit silly imo. How does other players cope with this?

EDIT:

I found out that this problem does happen in other inject methods as well. It happens if you try to inject while the queen in already injecting . By loading up my old hotkey setup I found out that I unconsciously box the queens where the macro hatches are. Then proceeds with the base camera method.
I guess I noticed it since it is very convenient to hold shift while pressing the base keys + a singe click .
How does other people deal with injecting macro hatches?
Qrux
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia5 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-10 21:34:06
February 10 2013 21:33 GMT
#2459
Changed to the core a few days a go, seems great, apm is almost as it were before i changed.

I do become a little complacent though, what i mean is all the keys are so close together so i seem to subconsciously avoid moving my hand in the slightest, having trouble hitting t and n. (not a complaint just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem)


Been trying to resolve it by opening word pad, watching a stream and trying to keep up. lol
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 11 2013 02:20 GMT
#2460
@TheOnlyRedViper
If you want to inject macro hatcheries and not have your queens running around, cycle through the bases in order, and don't double inject. For example:

We have 3 bases, 3 main hatches, and 1 macro hatch in our main.
Inject hatches 1 2 3 and then the macro hatch.
(only works if the main queen has enough to inject both)

The reason the wandering queen syndrome comes into play is that it takes time for the queen to inject and the closest available queen in the CG will be used to inject the hatch.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you need any clarification.

@Qrux
That should be something you get used to in time, try a hotkey trainer if you want more specific practice

Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Prev 1 121 122 123 124 125 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 229
TKL 161
CranKy Ducklings56
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM990
IndyStarCraft 160
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 990
Lowko440
TKL 161
IndyStarCraft 160
Rex 82
MindelVK 15
ProTech0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 57496
Free 3253
Jaedong 1954
BeSt 657
Soulkey 409
Horang2 358
Soma 334
Hyun 212
Zeus 203
firebathero 169
[ Show more ]
sorry 151
Last 150
Mind 108
Pusan 84
soO 25
scan(afreeca) 21
Aegong 20
ToSsGirL 20
yabsab 16
Sacsri 11
zelot 9
Dota 2
Gorgc6862
Dendi714
XaKoH 405
canceldota38
Other Games
gofns34489
singsing2203
B2W.Neo479
byalli402
Pyrionflax306
ToD189
DeMusliM40
QueenE38
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV219
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 24
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP19
• Gemini_19 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1348
• WagamamaTV464
League of Legends
• Jankos3258
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 25m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 25m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.