• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:50
CEST 15:50
KST 22:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8018 users

TheLlamaBuild - MrLlama's 3base ZvP - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Vaapad
Profile Joined August 2011
Norway171 Posts
May 02 2012 20:46 GMT
#21
this is awesome, gonna check it out
ty!
Duty is heavier than a mountain. Death, lighter than a feather
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 20:53:53
May 02 2012 20:49 GMT
#22
How many drones do you normally go up to when making hydras? Hyun had about 62 drones and when he saw my ~9:30 third, he only made about 8 roaches and the rest hydra ling (started ling speed after hydra range) and cut the 6th gas. What do you think about cutting roaches upon seeing a 3rd and going pure hydra ling after the first set of safety roaches + a few extra? seemed like it was absolutely unbeatable with my 3rd timing

Also, I don't see the point of going up to overlord speed/drop if you are going hydras. I assume that you would only do this attack if the protoss takes a 3rd, and I don't think that drop/speed would pay for itself if you can already attack at different fronts.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Amaterasu1234
Profile Joined November 2010
United States317 Posts
May 02 2012 20:57 GMT
#23
Just wondering, why wouldn't you go for a 12 minute max out, except adding in drops?

Alej also asks a good question and I'm looking forward to that answer.
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
May 02 2012 21:58 GMT
#24
On May 02 2012 06:01 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 05:23 GenesisX wrote:
This is almost exactly how I play all of my ZvPs, except what I do is take 4 gasses a little earlier, and start drops as soon as lair is finished. O.O Glad to see its not just me doing this haha


When do you drop then?

I start my drops a little later so that I can push out and be ready to drop with a 200/200 army.

Do you drop earlier to keep them in their base so that you can expand behind it? I thought about that some for sure.


I find if you wait for 200/200, you will lose to a good protoss that goes robo first. They will have 2-3 colossus out already with lance completing or sometimes already completed. Dropping ASAP lets you snipe core buildings such as the robo, main nexus, robo bay, or cybernetics core which is what I generally target when dropping.
133 221 333 123 111
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 22:28:49
May 02 2012 22:25 GMT
#25
On May 03 2012 05:49 Alejandrisha wrote:
How many drones do you normally go up to when making hydras? Hyun had about 62 drones and when he saw my ~9:30 third, he only made about 8 roaches and the rest hydra ling (started ling speed after hydra range) and cut the 6th gas. What do you think about cutting roaches upon seeing a 3rd and going pure hydra ling after the first set of safety roaches + a few extra? seemed like it was absolutely unbeatable with my 3rd timing

Also, I don't see the point of going up to overlord speed/drop if you are going hydras. I assume that you would only do this attack if the protoss takes a 3rd, and I don't think that drop/speed would pay for itself if you can already attack at different fronts.


this is a beautiful question.

Here is my experience with the build as I have done it over at least 30-40 games of practice (and then more ladder) where I tested out ling hydra, roach/hydra, pure roach, roach ling, roach bane, etc...

My drone number differs based on my opponent. Initially I go up to 58-63 workers depending on how well my macro is that game. If I see my opponent investing in air tech I will run another round of drones (and drop some spores) and end up around 70 workers. If I see they are going to 4/5/6 gate me and try to hit early, I will invest in roaches earlier at about 50-55 drones, hold it off pretty easily, and then push out to kill the pylon and force him back. With this I will make another round of drones and usually come up to about 65-70 drones.

Those are the 2 instances that I will drone harder because I know I can and it won't affect my timing really.

I think hydra ling with 11-12 roaches works as well. I have done hydra/roach/ling timings and they also had a good winrate but the main reason I tended away from it and towards roach hydra is because of my 1/2 upgrades that I aim for now (and the concave that I aim for). While lings can be a good mineral dump and tank tons of shots for cheap, they do not get my 2/3 of my upgrades and when I drop at the top of the main ramp they are no help in really providing a concave. on top of this, lings and hydras both MELT to collosus. If he is going collo and I do that attack, there just isn't enough to tank in my opinion once 1-2 collosi get out. That being said, there are some replays/games where I hit a little earlier with the ling hydra roach mix and it can still do a ton of damage, it's just not as much my style at the moment. I think there is still a lot of room for creativity with this build though so I'm glad hyun is doing his own thing and it's working.


I don't see the point of going up to overlord speed/drop if you are going hydras
There are 4 major reasons for this. Now I can say that I have simply gone roach hydra ling and hit lots of timings without drop that absolutely crush, but those feel different and generally work better on more open maps where it's easier to hit multiple fronts.
1. hydras are slow. I think we can all agree that hydras need a speed buff or upgrade option at the hydra den. The overlord speed gives your hydras this speed since they can just carry them everywhere. (PLUS ADDED BONUS: Overlords can drop creep so when you do drops in his base, tell all 20 of your overlords to spread creep and you will get a nice laugh)
2. I watched 10 pro replays PvZ that lasted longer than 15 minutes. After discarding the games that were really weird because of too many units lost early on, the average protoss army at 13 minutes was 120/200 supply. Now I have a 200/200 army at that time with a lot of dps thanks to the hydras. Tell me what is the one thing that protoss was given to makeup for this difference and defend at all points in the game? FORCEFIELDS. How many engagements have you had with a protoss army where you know you would absolutely crush him except for the fact that he had forcefields? Too many to count for me at least. So this is where I decided to completely abuse the fact that we get 25 dropships instantaneously and just get drop/speed to fly right over his army and negate forcefields from doing anything. Not only can you negate forcefields in the engagement, but you can negate simcity and terrain difficulties. Think about playing on shakuras plateau and trying to kill off the protoss base by fighting up the ramp. With sim city, ramps, and forcefields, you simply cannot engage up his ramp. This gives him time to sit back, relax, and make a few collosus until he has that deathball amount that just hurts so much to deal with. By getting drops, you can just fly right past this and drop in a position that is favorable for you instead, thus crushing him and forcing an engagement.
3. Hydras are a great defensive unit but honestly they are a dead tech path and so the longer you sit on them, the less valuable they become. You NEED to trade up to start working towards your later game army and so I decided rather than trading trying to push up a ramp and getting obliterated, why not trade more cost efficiently by dropping into his base.
4. you now have DROPS! If you watch my youtube video I showcase the beauty of having drops by not only dropping on top of his army to avoid forcefields, but also dropping his main and third base mineral lines. The more places that the protoss player has to focus, the more chance of mistake for him to make and the better off you are. From there on out you can continue to do drops (maybe infestor drops late game or ling drops or anything) and this is a part of the game that is pretty much completely unexplored in this match up. Now all of the sudden toss players have to start worrying about drops and worst case they have to throw up cannons at their mineral lines which is less money for their army.


Just wondering, why wouldn't you go for a 12 minute max out, except adding in drops?
By this I assume you mean the 12 minute roach max. I have actually done this but there were 2 problems I encountered.
1. This army simply was not defensive enough for me when they did their 2 base all ins. I know that stephano seems to handle those better but I'm not stephano and all those +2 blink stalker or immortal sentry armies would really just be too close in the battle. I could only win that game maybe 50-60% of the time. By getting hydras who have extremely high dps and are a great defensive unit, any 2 base all ins would get absolutely crushed and so I could simply hold it off a lot easier.
2. Roach drops just didn't work out as well as hydra roach drops did to be honest. I played a game where I dropped 200/200 roach on a sentry immortal stalker army (he had about 3-4 immortals) and it simply got obliterated. I mean it wasn't even close. In theory it sounded a lot better but in the actual game itself I simply did not have enough success with it. I definitely think more people should test it out though. Also the 13 minute max times out better with my 1/2 upgrades.

I find if you wait for 200/200, you will lose to a good protoss that goes robo first. They will have 2-3 colossus out already with lance completing or sometimes already completed. Dropping ASAP lets you snipe core buildings such as the robo, main nexus, robo bay, or cybernetics core which is what I generally target when dropping.


I rarely find them to have more than 2 collosus. If they have 3 collosus then they will have no immortals or you are simply hitting too late. Usually when I hit, they have 115 supply or so and it's made up of: 1 collosus, 1 collosus on the way, 3-4 immortals, 7-8 sentries, then some stalkers and a couple zealots to fill in the rest of the supply.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1070
RotterdaM535
SteadfastSC290
TKL 215
Rex120
CosmosSc2 35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 535
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 215
Rex 120
CosmosSc2 35
Codebar 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45081
Shuttle 2519
Jaedong 1117
Calm 1044
Horang2 810
Mini 624
actioN 544
EffOrt 530
Soulkey 479
Soma 360
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Rush 294
Larva 282
BeSt 221
Snow 192
ZerO 171
firebathero 133
Mong 119
Zeus 106
Last 91
910 74
Mind 68
hero 67
Free 66
Hyun 58
Sharp 56
PianO 39
Pusan 34
sorry 34
Shinee 32
JYJ 26
Bale 25
Shine 25
Hm[arnc] 24
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 22
Aegong 21
HiyA 21
Terrorterran 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Rock 10
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4998
Dendi1276
Counter-Strike
fl0m1842
Fnx 575
edward49
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes585
Lowko371
Other Games
gofns24318
singsing2178
olofmeister1284
hiko588
B2W.Neo337
DeMusliM228
Livibee188
Pyrionflax166
Liquid`VortiX119
Khaldor76
QueenE73
Trikslyr60
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1455
Other Games
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH175
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2035
• Jankos1437
• TFBlade463
Other Games
• Shiphtur663
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 11m
The PondCast
20h 11m
INu's Battles
21h 11m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.