• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:58
CEST 12:58
KST 19:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11341 users

[G] PvP - 4 Gate is Dead - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 16 Next All
RemarK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States452 Posts
January 13 2012 09:40 GMT
#121
I have a pretty competent 4-gate I think, I'd be glad to play a few games with you to test out your builds. You can message me on battle.net at ioRemarK.771 anytime I am on
I <3 StarCraft.
sebsejr
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
213 Posts
January 13 2012 10:00 GMT
#122
Wauw awesome, insightful post! love it! thanks a bunch! <3
-iNko
Profile Joined August 2010
Lithuania160 Posts
January 13 2012 10:46 GMT
#123
hopefully this will improve my pvp :x gonna dedicate all day for testing all these builds thx
Linoge
Profile Joined January 2011
Hungary115 Posts
January 13 2012 15:46 GMT
#124
just 4gate rofl
EU; Linoge.240 ;
SaroVati
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada280 Posts
January 13 2012 15:56 GMT
#125
On January 13 2012 18:40 soLremarK wrote:
I have a pretty competent 4-gate I think, I'd be glad to play a few games with you to test out your builds. You can message me on battle.net at ioRemarK.771 anytime I am on


If you manage to practice a few games out, pm me and I'll try my 3 gate pressure and see if he's behind economically as well :> But i vouch for remark, his 4 gate is as strong as any 4 gate you'll face.
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
January 13 2012 16:04 GMT
#126
I was wondering why you didn't respond to my question about the 3-gate, til I saw this:

On January 11 2012 01:08 Alejandrisha wrote:

I'm opening this one up to you guys. If you think your 4gate is good, shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to stamp it out with this build :D And your replays will go right here! Also if you have the the 11gate into 3 gate pressure build down pretty well, I'd like to run this against that a bunch of times as well.



I wish my 3-gate were better, but I'm not very good unfortunately.
soapyy.
Profile Joined October 2011
United States103 Posts
January 13 2012 16:20 GMT
#127
I would agree that 4 gate is pretty easy to beat now.. Just 3 gate robo get 2 immortals and win!
www.twitch.tv/sirsoapyy A little bit of soul train is in everyone.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
January 13 2012 16:26 GMT
#128
On January 13 2012 18:40 soLremarK wrote:
I have a pretty competent 4-gate I think, I'd be glad to play a few games with you to test out your builds. You can message me on battle.net at ioRemarK.771 anytime I am on

k bout to log on and add you thanks for your response
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Dauntless
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway548 Posts
January 13 2012 18:09 GMT
#129
I only want to thank you for an amazing guide. I read it all while watching the replays and trying to understand the reasoning behind it all. Gonna try to practice out the build orders when I have time.

Also, it'd be nice to see some replays with 1g SG and 2g SG =)
Dauntless.156 EU || Liquid´HerO | Grubby.Grubby
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 18:16:48
January 13 2012 18:12 GMT
#130
On January 14 2012 03:09 Dauntless wrote:
I only want to thank you for an amazing guide. I read it all while watching the replays and trying to understand the reasoning behind it all. Gonna try to practice out the build orders when I have time.

Also, it'd be nice to see some replays with 1g SG and 2g SG =)

BAM!

1g sg vs 1g robo - robo blink

on maps where you're forced to scout earlier (12), don't be afraid to use the information you get and be a little more greedy when appropriate. here, he cb'd his nexus a third time so i felt fine moving out without worrying about a probe sneaking behind the front lines. then, i see a sentry so i feel free to cut mine, and cut my 3rd gate as well.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 19:31:33
January 13 2012 19:29 GMT
#131
Emyndri was kind enough to play some games. I lost a few games to 4gate from supply blocking my 2nd sentry, but held when I got the 2nd sentry out timely. It's very easy to make these kinds of mistakes under pressure, so make sure you prioritize your actions. microing stalkers might seem very important, but as long as no probe is sneaking through and your stalkers are hitting pylons, focus on executing the build.

here was a pretty good example
http://drop.sc/91204

his 4gate is off of an 11 gate so it wg comes a few seconds faster than usual. however, this means his approach is a bit weaker because he needs to cut the zealot to get the gateways up in time. to account for this, he brings 2 probes. so long as you timely take down the probes and cancel any above ground pylons (shouldn't be hard because the approach cuts units), the safe build should beat it 100% of the time.

also note: you'll see I don't scout as early as I ought to on xel'naga. the only reason we used xel'naga was because it is the hardest to map on which to effectively zone the approach

edit: leave your char code here or pm me with it if you feel confident in your 4gate and you'd like to do this with me. i'd be glad to play some games with you
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 19:33:34
January 13 2012 19:31 GMT
#132
Love all the details for different tech transition, thanks for continuing to update this!

re - 10 gate > 3 gate wg cheese, I'm maybe 95% on executing this build but I'd be happy to try it, as I want you to be right =)

The theoretical build is like this:
9 pylon
10 gateway
10 probe*
13 assimilator > transfer 3
14 scout
14 cybernetics core
15 zealot
17 pylon
@100 gas put 1 probe on minerals
18 warpgate*****
18 stalker
21 gateway [2]
21 put 1 probe on gas
22 stalker
26 pylon
26 transform to warpgate [3]
26 stalker [3]
32 pylon
32 zealot [3]

It's extremely tight and can be tough to execute perfectly (gas micro isn't necessary, but helps ideally), but it demands even tighter play from your opponent to not die. The difference from a normal 3/4 gate is you can place the first proxy pylon more conservatively away from their ramp, and warp in a round of stalkers before placing your forward pylon at the ramp to warp in zealots on the high ground.

You can be very conservative/careful with your probe for the first pylon as it just has to be nearby. When you push for the 2nd pylon, you have cover from 5 stalkers and a zealot at the normal time a 4 gate would have just 1s 1z. this makes it pretty certain to place the forward pylon before the probe is sniped.

With your build, I'm not sure if you can get zealot stalker stalker sentry out in time to FF ramp when he first pokes. Maybe if you cb 2nd stalker and sentry, but this leaves less for WG. If you cut one of the stalkers, though, and go for faster sentry it might hold.

I'm a bit busy this weekend but could run some tests sun/monday maybe
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 19:48:55
January 13 2012 19:33 GMT
#133
On January 14 2012 04:31 quillian wrote:
Love all the details for different tech transition, thanks for continuing to update this!

re - 10 gate > 3 gate wg cheese, I'm maybe 95% on executing this build but I'd be happy to try it, as I want you to be right =)

The theoretical build is like this:
9 pylon
10 gateway
10 probe*
13 assimilator > transfer 3
14 scout
14 cybernetics core
15 zealot
17 pylon
@100 gas put 1 probe on minerals
18 warpgate*****
18 stalker
21 gateway [2]
21 put 1 probe on gas
22 stalker
26 pylon
26 transform to warpgate [3]
26 stalker [3]
32 pylon
32 zealot [3]

It's extremely tight and can be tough to execute perfectly, but it demands even tighter play from your opponent to not die. The difference from a normal 3/4 gate is you can place the first proxy pylon more conservatively away from their ramp, and warp in a round of stalkers before placing your forward pylon at the ramp to warp in zealots on the high ground. You can be very conservative/careful with your probe for the first pylon as it just has to be nearby. When you push for the 2nd pylon, you have cover from 5 stalkers and a zealot at the normal time a 4 gate would have just 1s 1z. this makes it pretty certain to place the forward pylon before the probe is sniped.

With your build, I'm not sure if you can get zealot stalker stalker sentry out in time to FF ramp when he first pokes. Maybe if you cb 2nd stalker and sentry, but this leaves less for WG. If you cut one of the stalkers, though, and go for faster sentry it might hold.

I'm a bit busy this weekend but could run some tests sun/monday maybe

sure! pm me your char code or leave it here. in the meantime i'll run this build to look at timings and such to see if it would be more effective than 11 gate with 5 cb on wg

looks like i can warp in up to 4-5 seconds faster than the 11gate build. this is good because you can force the first forcefield faster, which might stop the 1gater from getting his 3rd sentry out in time for the 3rd forcefield. you really can't play safe with the 1st proxy pylon, though. you need to proxy those two pylons under the ramp to cut down on distance from warp in to getting vision of the ramp, forcing the first forcefield to go down. the first forcefield will be in time, but it cuts it so close that the 2nd and 3rd forcefields will be hard to hit timely. i might have to pull probes to deny vision up the ramp while the 2nd sentry is getting out, something i was considering for the 11gate build as well. hope to test it soon
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
January 13 2012 20:20 GMT
#134
ok it's good the sentry is out. Obviously pulling probes isn't ideal but if you can hold it off you are probably gaining an advantage over time. Compared to 11 gate 4 gate this build has 1 less gate and just relies on the super early timing, so each warp in you can hold you are evening it out a bit.

My main worry is that since you don't scout, if you don't expect this and slack at all on sentry timing the FF won't be ready.

Is it possible to play your build and be safe with an earlier scout?
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 20:45:28
January 13 2012 20:43 GMT
#135
On January 14 2012 05:20 quillian wrote:
ok it's good the sentry is out. Obviously pulling probes isn't ideal but if you can hold it off you are probably gaining an advantage over time. Compared to 11 gate 4 gate this build has 1 less gate and just relies on the super early timing, so each warp in you can hold you are evening it out a bit.

My main worry is that since you don't scout, if you don't expect this and slack at all on sentry timing the FF won't be ready.

Is it possible to play your build and be safe with an earlier scout?

1st sentry will be out at the same time regardless of the scout. the 2nd sentry will be out at the same time regardless of scout as well, as the only variation to get it faster is a 4th cb on WG which happens after i see the pylon(s).
if you're 4gating me and i don't see pylons below my ramp until it's too late for me to cb my wg accordingly, i'm not worried as you can't threaten an above ramp warp-in before i already have my 2nd sentry is out. nani build too genius O_O
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
libum1
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada5 Posts
January 13 2012 23:08 GMT
#136
- I am a masters level random player
- I learned protoss in masters, as random
- I lose ~80% of my pvp's
- you sir, are a god. Thank-you for this amazing and in-depth post that has significantly built my understanding of this god-forsaken race
practise makes perfect, but no ones perfect so why practise
dtmwerks
Profile Joined January 2012
8 Posts
January 14 2012 00:11 GMT
#137
Could someone explain to me a few things? I'm masters across the board but it's true that 4 gate is often my kryptonite. I understand this counters 4 gate, but without scouting til the second pylon, how can I get past a stalker at the ramp? Let's say I do get past and his chrono boost saved up hints at a 4 gate, I'm putting in almost as much chrono boost into my warp gate as he is. What's the point if I only have 2-3 gateways? Or maybe I wasn't too clear on the build. If I'm putting that much into warp gates, why don't I jus go 4 gate?

KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
January 14 2012 00:21 GMT
#138
nice writeup.

But: really hard 4 gates played by high gm players are still amazingly hard to hold with 2 gate tech-builds. with 3 gates you are on the safer site.

PvP will always be a bit problematic, since: greedy build > safe build > 4 gate > greedy build if everything goes "normal"
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
VashTS
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1675 Posts
January 14 2012 00:41 GMT
#139
Alej. I sincerely hope this catches on at pro-level play. Less 4g vs 4g PvP would make me very happy.



+ Show Spoiler +
Sex plz.
VashTS; 330; Random -- Ranked #9 Pokemon Video Game Player in the World in 2009
BlueBoxSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States582 Posts
January 14 2012 00:47 GMT
#140
On January 14 2012 01:20 soapyy. wrote:
I would agree that 4 gate is pretty easy to beat now.. Just 3 gate robo get 2 immortals and win!



I thought that was the consensus. ☻.☻
BwCBlueBox.837
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings74
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko180
ProTech124
SHIN 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1153
Mind 1017
Shuttle 787
Bisu 774
Larva 643
Mini 163
EffOrt 129
Soma 119
Leta 109
Last 98
[ Show more ]
Zeus 91
Hyun 81
Pusan 63
ZerO 52
Sexy 52
PianO 48
Hm[arnc] 43
Trap 36
Killer 33
sorry 32
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 28
Aegong 19
yabsab 15
hero 13
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe565
XaKoH 402
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1389
Other Games
gofns40495
singsing2321
crisheroes293
OGKoka 184
Mew2King131
B2W.Neo104
ArmadaUGS58
Livibee41
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick572
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream182
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
• Gemini_19 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8241
League of Legends
• Jankos1375
• Stunt862
Upcoming Events
Online Event
3m
FEL
5h 3m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 3m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.