• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9456 users

[G] The Structure of An Effective Opening Build - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Xylarthen
Profile Joined October 2010
United States137 Posts
November 11 2011 04:55 GMT
#41
If nothing else, this was a fantastic breakdown of a very powerful Zerg opening. I know everyone thinks they know it, but this delved into the nuances nicely. Kudos TangSC.
He who becomes a beast forgets the pain of being a man.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
November 12 2011 13:00 GMT
#42
No matter your level, there are always little ways to improve your early game. Your base economy is so important for the rest of the game, and the most you can maximize that in the first few minutes the stronger your early pushes are, the better your drone saturation will be, and you'll just sharpen your timings and keep very busy from the start to end of the game.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
anathema
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland20 Posts
November 15 2011 21:51 GMT
#43
very well explained, detailed and helpful post.
Starting out my bronze career from practicing 14/14 no matter what.
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
November 15 2011 22:46 GMT
#44
Thanks Tang, this guide is super sick. Probably the best Zerg opener guide I've seen, and as a plat zerg I'm gonna be hammering this out fairly hard over the next couple days... everyone thinks they know the build, but you laid it out really well and probably made a lot of lower-league protoss cry =)
VoirDire
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden1923 Posts
November 15 2011 23:48 GMT
#45
A great guide, and a great timing attack that every zerg should have in his arsenal, it's great on the ladder maps with close spawns points that usually doesn't favor zerg, like xel'naga (and previous versions of shattered temple and metalopolis).

A variation that I've been trying out is an evo chamber and a 2nd gas at ~5:00 for +1 ranged attack (finishes just before ~8:00).

Against protoss you get the option to put down a spore crawler in case of a 1-base air or DT attack, I also prefer a more roach heavy push if the opponent opted for a forge expand.

Against zerg it makes the roaches 2-shot lings instead of 3-shot, which makes the push virtually unbeatable if the opponent only has ling/bling, it's also nice to have the upgrade advantage.

Against terran I usually do 14 hatch, and the build is a bit different. But it's nice to have the evolution chamber to help block your front vs hellions and to fend of 1 base banshee. I usually use the evo for +1 melee or +1 armor instead though.
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
November 16 2011 04:55 GMT
#46
Also, on the topic of your guide being too blocky - it wasn't at all, I actually found the spoilers a bit annoying. Spoilers should be for extra information, videos, pictures, whatever - the main text of the guide shouldn't be in spoilers at all. I would almost suggest just paragraphing more and removing the spoilers altogether.

Any chance of you doing anything like this for ZvT or ZvZ? <3
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
November 16 2011 14:31 GMT
#47
On November 16 2011 13:55 Cyx. wrote:
Also, on the topic of your guide being too blocky - it wasn't at all, I actually found the spoilers a bit annoying. Spoilers should be for extra information, videos, pictures, whatever - the main text of the guide shouldn't be in spoilers at all. I would almost suggest just paragraphing more and removing the spoilers altogether.

Any chance of you doing anything like this for ZvT or ZvZ? <3

I have a few guides and a lecture on the way, but I may do a very in-depth analysis of some ZvT/ZvZ builds
Have you read...
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=274426
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280526
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
November 20 2011 01:36 GMT
#48
Actually, I have read those and forgot they were yours. They were really good but the super aggression I didn't like so much especially in ZvT. I was more hoping for more kind of really in-depth analysis like you did with this opening, this one was awesome.

I have been stealing your ZvZ build a lot lately though, so you've helped me more than you could know in two matchups at least. =D
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
November 24 2011 18:12 GMT
#49
On November 20 2011 10:36 Cyx. wrote:
Actually, I have read those and forgot they were yours. They were really good but the super aggression I didn't like so much especially in ZvT. I was more hoping for more kind of really in-depth analysis like you did with this opening, this one was awesome.

I have been stealing your ZvZ build a lot lately though, so you've helped me more than you could know in two matchups at least. =D

ZvZ is by far my best matchup, because of that ling style. I'll do an in-depth build order/execution analysis of ZvT or ZvZ when time is available!
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
forevernerdy
Profile Joined October 2011
England31 Posts
November 27 2011 18:53 GMT
#50
i think this is a good idea for terran and protoss players more then zerg tho, no?? i mean having a refined build order is gr8 but with zerg so many things throw u off and its more about approximate timings than exact timings, but for t and p it seems everyone uses the same solid builds
i think itd be cooler to do a post like this for each race, cuz with toss and terran im sure there are small subtle things but its different between the races
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
ins(out)side
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
220 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-27 22:37:27
November 27 2011 22:32 GMT
#51
Having just started playing Zerg, this post in conjunction with the recent coaching session has done wonders for my Z play! Usually while getting coached on a build, I make all kinds of stupid mistakes and usually lose the game. However, doing this for the first time in accordance with the guidelines presented here by Tang I damn near beat a Diamond player (I'm Plat with Toss, certainly not Zerg)!! Sure, I was roach/ling all-inning versus a 3 gate expo on Metalopolis but still...felt GREAT to win while being coached instead of getting owned. Yeah, I know low apm style deathball Toss has its appeal..but I'm just bored to death with it. I enjoy being able to put on early pressure and at the very least set my opponent back while I take complete control of the map and overrun him with huge numbers of Zerg units.

Did I mention I love making 50 units at once? Gotta love them larvae

EDIT: Having a solid build opening is important for all three races. Tang included the little details about scouting and having the larvae to make lings assuming you scout early pressure of some kind. So yeah, while Z does play more reactionary, high level players have all their timings lined up very crisply. Playing with tightened up build orders is definitely the way to go.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
November 28 2011 20:18 GMT
#52
On November 28 2011 03:53 forevernerdy wrote:
i think this is a good idea for terran and protoss players more then zerg tho, no?? i mean having a refined build order is gr8 but with zerg so many things throw u off and its more about approximate timings than exact timings, but for t and p it seems everyone uses the same solid builds
i think itd be cooler to do a post like this for each race, cuz with toss and terran im sure there are small subtle things but its different between the races

To an extent zerg actually needs a "refined build order" as much as terran and protoss. There will be differences, but the concepts in this thread can and should be applied to all races. With zerg there are usually switch points where you stop making drones and start making attacking units, with terran and toss you almost always keep constant worker production.
When I'm playing aggressive or all-in zerg, I typically go by game sense and food timings - roach warren at 28, roaches from 28-44, lings from 44-52 etc. When I play macro zerg, though, I'm more likely to use the game timer, getting a 3rd by 5 minutes, 2gas by 5:45, roach warren and evo by 7min, nothing but drones until 7:45.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
forevernerdy
Profile Joined October 2011
England31 Posts
December 01 2011 13:26 GMT
#53
but what if you're pressured, then your whole plan goes to shit. like if a terran does two barracks scv opening or even 1barracks and bunker, your build is messed up because you have to build a spine and pull workers. then if they kill some drones with hellions, you're thrown off again...then they go banshees and you have to make more queens and spores and you're thrown off again...it seems impossible to have a refined build order as zerg.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
December 01 2011 13:48 GMT
#54
Your title is kind of misleading...
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
December 01 2011 18:31 GMT
#55
In what way?
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
December 01 2011 19:13 GMT
#56
It seems like you're teaching how to execute a build order well, versus actually formulating one?
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
ins(out)side
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
220 Posts
December 01 2011 21:18 GMT
#57
It seems like you're teaching how to execute a build order well, versus actually formulating one?


That is exactly what the thread was designed for and that's what it does. How in the hell is that misleading?

The thread provides exactly what the title suggests: the structure of an effective opening build. Yes, he teaches you specifically how to execute the 14/14 as the prime example but the principles at play here apply to each race. IF you grasp the principles as demonstrated by the build, then its conceivable that you could design your own opening.

You haven't been consuming large amounts of fluoridated water per chance, have you?

mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
December 01 2011 21:25 GMT
#58
On December 02 2011 06:18 ins(out)side wrote:
Show nested quote +
It seems like you're teaching how to execute a build order well, versus actually formulating one?


That is exactly what the thread was designed for and that's what it does. How in the hell is that misleading?

The thread provides exactly what the title suggests: the structure of an effective opening build. Yes, he teaches you specifically how to execute the 14/14 as the prime example but the principles at play here apply to each race. IF you grasp the principles as demonstrated by the build, then its conceivable that you could design your own opening.

You haven't been consuming large amounts of fluoridated water per chance, have you?



It's just that in can be interpreted as a Guide to structuring an effective build. It's labeled as a guide and with a slightly ambiguous title I suppose I felt that other could be a bit confused. Whatever works I suppose.
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
December 02 2011 08:59 GMT
#59
I would also like some advice what to do against early pressure. I've been training the build a bit against GTAI (but it's quite similar to what I've been using standard), and I find that it's quite hard to hold if a protoss does early pushing with either zealots or stalkers. It's IMO quite hard to scout since even if I run 2 lings up the ramp to look at composition, the toss can easily hide his army and make it look like he's preparing to expand or go tech. Even if I see as he moves out, it takes way too long to build spine crawlers even if you start immediately, they won't even be 50% done when he reaches your base on many maps.

I realize you can still hold it if your injects are wellsynced and you don't spam drones when you're in the dark, but maybe you have some general advice how to make this easier, since right now, I feel extremely vulnurable around the time I put down the roach warren.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
December 02 2011 14:20 GMT
#60
On December 02 2011 17:59 Tobberoth wrote:
I would also like some advice what to do against early pressure. I've been training the build a bit against GTAI (but it's quite similar to what I've been using standard), and I find that it's quite hard to hold if a protoss does early pushing with either zealots or stalkers. It's IMO quite hard to scout since even if I run 2 lings up the ramp to look at composition, the toss can easily hide his army and make it look like he's preparing to expand or go tech. Even if I see as he moves out, it takes way too long to build spine crawlers even if you start immediately, they won't even be 50% done when he reaches your base on many maps.

I realize you can still hold it if your injects are wellsynced and you don't spam drones when you're in the dark, but maybe you have some general advice how to make this easier, since right now, I feel extremely vulnurable around the time I put down the roach warren.

Well he's either expanding or doing a 1base all-in (typically a 4gate zealot/stalker). If you scout early with a drone and steal the gas like I recommend, you'll see his nexus energy - if he's not using any chronoboosts except the first 2 on probes, he's probably going to 4gate you. In that case, make sure you get a 3rd queen and start 3-4 spines at your expansion right away (The first warp-in of most 4gates hit at about 5:45-6:15minute, but you can delay this if your speedlings find his proxy pylon). You won't be able to get roaches out for the first wave or 2, you have to rely solely on spines and speedlings but when you can, move into roach/ling to defend.
Once you've held the pressure, scout his expansion (You should have an overlord around there to fly in and see) and if he's going for an expansion, go for a big roach/ling push as he'll have too few sentries to hold it. If he's not expanding, get a spore at the front, +1, a few drones, and continue to build more roaches with evolution chambers in front of spines.
The most important thing is that early drone scout - seeing his nexus energy and whether he took a 2nd gas. Another hint is if he builds a stalker instead of a sentry after his first zealot, but that's not ALWAYS a 4gate.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 145
-ZergGirl 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1637
Hyuk 254
910 73
Yoon 46
Bale 33
ZergMaN 20
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 611
Reynor54
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox576
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor256
Other Games
summit1g7470
WinterStarcraft412
C9.Mang0260
PiGStarcraft236
Sick212
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS47
Happy1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2353
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 30m
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.