• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:27
CEST 14:27
KST 21:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10277 users

[G] Improving as A low-level Macro Zerg - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Twaxter
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada190 Posts
February 26 2011 01:14 GMT
#61
Good Read
If you want my advice, just play brood war for a good month, and try to get to D playing standard zerg, when you come back, you will be Masters.

The skills in Sc2 that are optional in lower leagues were mandatory in any league in Brood War.
You will be forced to play better and when you hit Sc2, you will be able to have control of the mechanics very easily.

This is golden for zergs just starting out. <3

Lose and Learn
Snoyarc
Profile Joined January 2011
United States101 Posts
February 26 2011 01:55 GMT
#62
Great post, I have been playing SC2 for about a week, but have been watching pro games since MLG DC, I know i'm Better than alot of the players im playing against but 1 base timing attacks almost always kill me, hopefully I can get back up to gold and keep getting better(i got demoted to silver last night)
Daveoo2
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia19 Posts
February 26 2011 08:20 GMT
#63
Long but I forced myself to read it! Thanks a lot!
Good Gaming!
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
February 26 2011 09:17 GMT
#64
On February 26 2011 10:14 Twaxter wrote:
Good Read
If you want my advice, just play brood war for a good month, and try to get to D playing standard zerg, when you come back, you will be Masters.

The skills in Sc2 that are optional in lower leagues were mandatory in any league in Brood War.
You will be forced to play better and when you hit Sc2, you will be able to have control of the mechanics very easily.

This is golden for zergs just starting out. <3


Well, if you create an iCCup account, to be fair, you're already at D

I think this is helpful, in a way, as it will punish you for having poor mechanics around the D-C range, and really punish you above that. Yes, you'll learn allot of the economic focused RTS basics by playing BW. However, BW and Starcraft 2 should be viewed, IMO, totally different games from a player perspective. I use BW references allot to pound my points home, I realize, but the sheer difference in BW zerg and SC2 zerg makes it something like a totally different race. In my opinion, you'll get more out of playing SC2 for practice than BW. BW has nothing to simulate queen's larvae inject which is probably one of the main problems facing new zergs. Also, you're learning a whole other system of hatchery management where you only had 1 larvae per (?) seconds per hatchery, and (theoretically) you'd never have more than one larvae per hatch after the first few minutes of the game, so resources flowed completely differently.

While I completely support anyone playing BW because it's a great game, practicing BW zerg to get good at SC2 zerg doesn't make the most sense to me, as, in my mind, they're apples and oranges.

Thanks for the suggestion, and if anyone wants to try this, more power to you, I just feel you'll get more out of your practice time by playing SC2 than BW
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
ReNhoSoft
Profile Joined November 2010
Mexico69 Posts
March 12 2011 00:01 GMT
#65
Awesome guide, a really nice read. I got a question though, what are the main differences between the mentality of a zerg player and a protoss/terran player?
Communism
Profile Joined November 2010
United States176 Posts
March 12 2011 03:38 GMT
#66
Great thread, im coming in kind of late but i did want to give my 2 cents on one thing.

Hotkey setup is largely preference but the undisputable most effecient way to hot key your queens is by having all of the queens on one hotkey, and then changing the base camera function from the backspace key to something more accessible... i like to use shift + space as mine.

So basically when i inject this is all that happens: (for 3 bases lets say)
I hit my queen hotkey button once ( 6 ) - 1 key press total
I hold shift and press V - 2 key presses total
I press space once and click on my hatch, while continuing to hold shift - 4 key presses total
I repeat this for the other 2 hatches - 8 key presses total

With the OP's method, this happens:
hit each queen hotkey twice, then press v and click ( 4 key presses per hatch )
repeated for 3 hatches, this is 12 key presses.

Another point is that with my method, I can inject 3 bases in under 2 seconds once my queens are selected and i press v i just have to alternate space and click for each base.

Also this way you can support an unlimited number of bases without having to have 4+ different hotkeys for your queens.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I really feel like this way is undeniably more efficient than using any other method so if you are just building habits it may be a good one to use

DocSeverinsen
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany86 Posts
March 12 2011 03:43 GMT
#67
Really nice thread! So much work... i will send my friends in here for some awesome zerg knowledge!
No one leaves alive... hero stalker
dogcore
Profile Joined January 2011
Albania128 Posts
March 19 2011 03:00 GMT
#68
More zergs need to see this
Andwhy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States91 Posts
March 19 2011 03:11 GMT
#69
Way to bolster our race, Arisen! Thanks for such an insightful, well thought-out, organized post. I'm also glad you gave up on the "Zerg is underpowered" concept, I think it's just harder/ more fun. You present wonderful commentaries on the powerful aspects of the zerg meta-game!
archdevilz
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
March 25 2011 13:49 GMT
#70
i'm sure alot of the stuff mentioned here are things that high zergs r struggling or striving to improve or perfect. definitely not just meant for low level zergs.

awesome post =)
MrJargon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom158 Posts
March 25 2011 15:45 GMT
#71
I bookmarked this page since I don't have time to read it all right now, but I am definitely going to.
Questo
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden19 Posts
April 09 2011 22:28 GMT
#72
That's a very intresting read Arisen, I agreed with alot of your opening arguments and I also struggle alot with playing as Zerg on the ladder.

I will take your rules and pointers in mind next time I practice!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
Dachef16
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2 Posts
April 09 2011 22:39 GMT
#73
Wow this is a great guide for a player like me. I'm personally very stubborn about always trying to play a macro game, and I usually lose because. There just seems to be so many players at the lower levels who just want to rush or all-in their way to the top.
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
April 13 2011 09:58 GMT
#74
I have just switched to zerg, great post. I like your point about overlords ... very true. I'd forgotten the corruption day 9 episode .. that was pretty damn funny.

One thing you didn't mention is creep spread from tumors and queens.

One thing that i hadn't noticed whilst playing random 4v4 (I was P 1v1) is that you can use an active tumor to spread creep. I have read a lot about sc2 but have never seen that stated - I noticed by watching streams of people. I was using 2-3 queens to spread creep when really you just need a queen to start the spread. Given that creep gives vision (and slows down armies who want to kill it) its hugely important imo.


Maybe worth an include?
MrHavix
Profile Joined June 2010
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-06 21:30:54
May 06 2011 21:27 GMT
#75
This is a great post. Respectfully, Arisen, I don't see a note specifically saying it is adapted from Day[9]'s VOD? I know you include it as a link at the bottom of the mechanics section, but my memory leads me to think at least the Mechanics section is a word for word transcript of his VOD. If it is, I'm sure Day[9] doesn't mind but perhaps you could preface your post with the VOD link and giving more direct credit?

Not trying to downplay your thread -- there is plenty of added value in transcribing his VODs as well as your own analysis.

Edit: Apologies if this starts a flame war, but...I've found a significant amount of content that seems like a direct transcript from Day[9]'s VOD(s). Why didn't you mention this in your intro? I specifically remember him saying this section:

One mistake I see allot of players make is looking at battles, even if they can't do shit about it. Watch a player like IdrA play from a first person perspective and see how much he's actually watching battles. Not very often.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
May 06 2011 22:22 GMT
#76
On May 07 2011 06:27 MrHavix wrote:
This is a great post. Respectfully, Arisen, I don't see a note specifically saying it is adapted from Day[9]'s VOD? I know you include it as a link at the bottom of the mechanics section, but my memory leads me to think at least the Mechanics section is a word for word transcript of his VOD. If it is, I'm sure Day[9] doesn't mind but perhaps you could preface your post with the VOD link and giving more direct credit?

Not trying to downplay your thread -- there is plenty of added value in transcribing his VODs as well as your own analysis.

Edit: Apologies if this starts a flame war, but...I've found a significant amount of content that seems like a direct transcript from Day[9]'s VOD(s). Why didn't you mention this in your intro? I specifically remember him saying this section:

Show nested quote +
One mistake I see allot of players make is looking at battles, even if they can't do shit about it. Watch a player like IdrA play from a first person perspective and see how much he's actually watching battles. Not very often.

It won't start a flame war, but that's pretty much common knowledge. That statement is definitely not day9's intellectual property. He just relays the same information in a way that makes sense to a beginner. All good players know to look away from the battle when the micro is done and I think it would be a shame to deprive the readers of this thread who may not have seen every day9 video of that information.

While I think the OP is fundamentally wrong on alot of the suggestions that its harder to play macro zerg than macro toss or terran or that zergs are allowed fewer mistakes (I find this to be exactly backwards to be honest), you have to give him credit for at least trying to help people and providing correct information on a forum where little "zerglings" (my word for sub-masters zerg players) are looking for help.

All the races are very unforgiving. This GAME is very unforgiving. Zerg doesn't have a monopoly on difficulty, they are just another race, where if you put enough time in, you will understand them and play well in your matchups. Its really no different. I play at masters level at all 3 races, but main protoss. Player matters more than race.
Malpractice.248
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States734 Posts
May 06 2011 22:29 GMT
#77
How do u feel about the pros/cons of
1-3 army, 4+ macro
vs
1-4 army, 5+ macro

I see ~1/2 the pros doing each :/ always thought MORE control groups would give u better control...?
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
May 07 2011 02:50 GMT
#78
On May 07 2011 07:29 Malpractice.248 wrote:
How do u feel about the pros/cons of
1-3 army, 4+ macro
vs
1-4 army, 5+ macro

I see ~1/2 the pros doing each :/ always thought MORE control groups would give u better control...?


If you see a need for an extra army tab go for it. The point of a hotkey setup is something personal to you, that you can use to it's full potential. If you're the kind of player who loves army control and gaining advantages in that way, and could see a way to better his army control with an extra hotkey, you should absolutely try it out. Tyler talks about this in a recent SotG where he binds his buildings to some outlandish shit (robotics to z, etc), but it works for him, and that's all that should matter; what works for you.

Cheers.
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
nicke10
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden114 Posts
May 07 2011 05:43 GMT
#79
Does anyone have good build orders for each matchup that yo ucould practice over and over and preferbly flowcharts as well so you hav ea good gameplan?

I've looked around but most are outdated unfortunately, the flowcharts.
"It's not that I'm dumb, I'm just Neural Parasited by a retarded Infestor." - Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Legat0
Profile Joined October 2010
United States318 Posts
May 07 2011 05:50 GMT
#80
On March 26 2011 00:45 MrJargon wrote:
I bookmarked this page since I don't have time to read it all right now, but I am definitely going to.


Likewise. I will reference this later. Thanks for the post!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech149
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36569
Shuttle 2463
Bisu 1039
Horang2 947
Jaedong 867
Light 441
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 330
Hyuk 287
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 266
Soma 237
EffOrt 232
Zeus 202
ggaemo 197
Soulkey 162
Last 145
Snow 122
ZerO 118
Leta 118
Pusan 83
Rush 76
Killer 74
Sea.KH 54
hero 51
Mong 44
Sharp 40
Mind 36
Shinee 30
Shine 27
Aegong 27
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
soO 20
Sexy 19
PianO 19
Trap 17
Yoon 16
Free 14
sorry 13
Terrorterran 11
zelot 10
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3942
qojqva1560
Dendi1010
League of Legends
Reynor92
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1282
x6flipin325
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes917
Other Games
gofns33183
singsing2163
B2W.Neo699
XBOCT361
DeMusliM188
Livibee180
XaKoH 152
Mlord151
Liquid`LucifroN121
Mew2King87
QueenE65
Chillindude11
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)6
ArmadaUGS0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2212
• TFBlade605
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
33m
Stellar Fest
33m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 33m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.