• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:17
CEST 09:17
KST 16:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8528 users

The "fake" 3 gate robo, 1 gate expand - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
shenzu88
Profile Joined June 2010
48 Posts
February 17 2011 15:34 GMT
#61
On February 18 2011 00:24 Synystyr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 00:13 shenzu88 wrote:
So many attempts to discredit Minigun, sigh. This strategy only works at a high level, where every unit seen causes a reaction by the other player.

Good scouting can find the hidden expo, but that can be said for anything in this game. If you get a SCV/reaper out of his vision and scout the entire map good for you, it's the small things like checking the entire map which makes a good player.

Any mention of FE -> Banshee is silly... 1 rax or 2 rax into FE is still very vulnerable and teching to banshee immediately would be suicide.


I'll disagree with you there. I tech straight to banshees straight off of a 2 Rax FE and I win ~80% of my games against Protoss that way. A bunker walloff is extremely intimidating and very tough to break if you scout the push coming ahead of time and preemptively bring SCVs to the line to repair. It's definitely a viable strategy, and I've found a delayed banshee to be more effective than a rushed one because by then, the observer is in your base and your opponent should have two bases to try and defend from harass. I can easily get 9-10 kills with my first banshee off the FE.


I'm not saying it's not possible to straight tech to Banshee. You are scouting and reacting to his play, which enables you to defend his push. Good.

Terrans should just be aware with the current trend of mass sentries, 6 gates or robo all-ins that FE can just as easily be punished, vice-versa.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 15:37:35
February 17 2011 15:35 GMT
#62
Very cool, op. Not exactly something you would use every game, just a reactive strategy that's nice to have in your arsenal. Gonna try it on ladder for sure.

On February 18 2011 00:35 Slusher wrote:
I have a question for the Terran players in the thread, will the fake robo tech prevent cloak reasearch? or would I still need detection in/near my mineral line.

That's interesting actually. I'm guessing it would certainly discourage cloak, but I wouldn't rely on it completely.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
February 17 2011 15:35 GMT
#63
I have a question for the Terran players in the thread, will the fake robo tech prevent cloak reasearch? or would I still need detection in/near my mineral line.
Carrilord has arrived.
Crais
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2136 Posts
February 17 2011 15:38 GMT
#64
A lot you are missing the point where he said that this build ISN'T standard. Its something to have up your sleeve in a tourny setting where you can pull it out on a Bo3 or Bo5.

Thanks Mini
RIP MBC Game Hero
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
February 17 2011 15:42 GMT
#65
On February 18 2011 00:22 Antimage wrote:
It seems like a huge risk given that if you don't have HT's with amulet fast enough, it'll be difficult to defend 2 fronts if they scout your hidden expo.

On the other hand, if terran players suspect a 3 gate robo (delayed expo), they usually try to push with a large number of MMM forces before they think you get to effectively utilize ur expansion for long. At this point, like a regular 1 gate expo, it might be much safer in hindsight to tech to colossi instead - unless at this timing you already have HT's with amulet.

The idea is great though, and I could see it working on maps such as metal close spawn.


Definitely have to agree with you here. I used to do a lot of greedy builds and rushing storm but I have been using nony's build a lot (3gate robo expo ~6mins) and safely teching to colossi and then moving from there. It is a lot more reactive in the sense you can stop all ins much more easily than you can with a 1gate fe vs certain timings. Yeah it's true that your nat kicks in in time for you to get a whole bunch of t1 gateway units but a lot of the time that is not going to cut it.

I feel this style of play, getting a quick hidden expansion propped up on the fact the terran has false information, might work from time to time but I think it's quite risky and a bit of a gimmick.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
February 17 2011 15:56 GMT
#66
On February 18 2011 00:34 shenzu88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 00:24 Synystyr wrote:
On February 18 2011 00:13 shenzu88 wrote:
So many attempts to discredit Minigun, sigh. This strategy only works at a high level, where every unit seen causes a reaction by the other player.

Good scouting can find the hidden expo, but that can be said for anything in this game. If you get a SCV/reaper out of his vision and scout the entire map good for you, it's the small things like checking the entire map which makes a good player.

Any mention of FE -> Banshee is silly... 1 rax or 2 rax into FE is still very vulnerable and teching to banshee immediately would be suicide.


I'll disagree with you there. I tech straight to banshees straight off of a 2 Rax FE and I win ~80% of my games against Protoss that way. A bunker walloff is extremely intimidating and very tough to break if you scout the push coming ahead of time and preemptively bring SCVs to the line to repair. It's definitely a viable strategy, and I've found a delayed banshee to be more effective than a rushed one because by then, the observer is in your base and your opponent should have two bases to try and defend from harass. I can easily get 9-10 kills with my first banshee off the FE.


I'm not saying it's not possible to straight tech to Banshee. You are scouting and reacting to his play, which enables you to defend his push. Good.

Terrans should just be aware with the current trend of mass sentries, 6 gates or robo all-ins that FE can just as easily be punished, vice-versa.


Very true. I won't argue too much about it here since I won't want to derail the thread.

The strength of this build is deception, which allows you build an extremely powerful economy while teching. It's also unorthodox, so many players will not react appropriately or expect the followups to this. It does lose a lot of strength however if the hidden expansion is scouted and Medivacs are available. It's very hard to defend an expo across the other side of the map.

On February 18 2011 00:35 Slusher wrote:
I have a question for the Terran players in the thread, will the fake robo tech prevent cloak reasearch? or would I still need detection in/near my mineral line.


It really depends on player style. Cloak is just an extremely useful spell to have researched. It will always score you a few extra kills because the Protoss simply can't have observers everywhere, so a cannon or two is usually never a bad idea. The potency behind cloak here is the ability to harass at least two (three if you scout it) mineral lines at once. Without robo tech, you simply can't deal with that unless you had the foresight to plant cannons at each base.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
February 17 2011 15:57 GMT
#67
--- Nuked ---
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
February 17 2011 16:03 GMT
#68
On February 18 2011 00:57 stormtemplar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 00:42 Alejandrisha wrote:
On February 18 2011 00:22 Antimage wrote:
It seems like a huge risk given that if you don't have HT's with amulet fast enough, it'll be difficult to defend 2 fronts if they scout your hidden expo.

On the other hand, if terran players suspect a 3 gate robo (delayed expo), they usually try to push with a large number of MMM forces before they think you get to effectively utilize ur expansion for long. At this point, like a regular 1 gate expo, it might be much safer in hindsight to tech to colossi instead - unless at this timing you already have HT's with amulet.

The idea is great though, and I could see it working on maps such as metal close spawn.


Definitely have to agree with you here. I used to do a lot of greedy builds and rushing storm but I have been using nony's build a lot (3gate robo expo ~6mins) and safely teching to colossi and then moving from there. It is a lot more reactive in the sense you can stop all ins much more easily than you can with a 1gate fe vs certain timings. Yeah it's true that your nat kicks in in time for you to get a whole bunch of t1 gateway units but a lot of the time that is not going to cut it.

I feel this style of play, getting a quick hidden expansion propped up on the fact the terran has false information, might work from time to time but I think it's quite risky and a bit of a gimmick.



Can you link me to some replays/a guide for that? It sounds interesting.


Yep I'll upload a couple as soon as I get home from work.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Chvol
Profile Joined August 2010
United States200 Posts
February 17 2011 16:06 GMT
#69
What would happen if you scouted terran going towards mech? Do you still do the same high templar 2 forge mass gateway unit? Seems like you might have to steer towards robo units instead. Also, I'd like to see another replay if you get one where terran does a 2 base mass MM attack, instead of just chillin all game while you get high temps and a really fast three bases.

Chronald
Profile Joined December 2009
United States619 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 16:14:21
February 17 2011 16:11 GMT
#70
These are the kind of build concepts and constructive thinking that are going to accelerate SC2's metagame and entertainment value!

Frankly, this game with IMSeed was so much fun to watch, the game had a life of its own, not only because the build was new, but because it was clear that Seed knew how to do this well. He faked Hyperdub out REAL hard, and I can only imagine how red his ears were after he realized they were fake.

Plays like this also keep Terran's on their toes. In a generally Terran dominated early-game these kinds of strategies are super useful! They can put your opponent on tilt from a very early point, making them second guess their builds and unit comp because, "what if that was fake??". I can't wait until more Protoss players use moves like this to really keep Terran's guessing.

I guess that is what I like about it so much, it keeps Terrans guessing in the early game. Usually a Terran can sit back, FE, mass MMM and be totally safe with bunkers and turrets. Well that is based on them knowing what the Protoss is doing. However, if Protoss players can constantly threaten then by faking one set of tech and taking the counter's counter the mind games become amazingly high level. Trying to make the snap decision as to whether that immortal was hallucinated and whether to counter 3gate robo becomes such a huge decision because, like Minigun has said, they have to defend it to be safe.

I can see this being super effective on the massive new maps like Tal'Darim and Terminus. Taking another main or nat/third on one of these maps can ensure that the Terran will have no idea what is going on unless they waste a super important early game scan. Imagine if the Terran wastes 3 scans trying to find your hidden expo? That is ~1000 minerals they wasted to find your 400 mineral expo. Pretty cost effective imo.

Can't wait to see these kinds of strats in GSL March!!

EDIT:
Also, wanted to add (before someone thought I was saying that this should be standard or some bull), this should never be a "go to strategy" I would consider this something to be used during a BO5 series (bo3 is still kinda short) in order to break your opponents confidence or win streak.
Got that.
RinconH
Profile Joined April 2010
United States512 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 16:14:45
February 17 2011 16:13 GMT
#71
Edit: nvm fail by me.

Love this strat. Hopefully we will see more things like this.
Philip2110
Profile Joined April 2010
Scotland798 Posts
February 17 2011 16:14 GMT
#72
Saw you do this build a few times on your stream. Worked surprisingly well
Master Sc2 - Diamond LoL - Eu W
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
February 17 2011 16:14 GMT
#73
--- Nuked ---
ReNhoSoft
Profile Joined November 2010
Mexico69 Posts
February 17 2011 16:15 GMT
#74
Ahhhh mind games... the glorious joy of every strategy game.
I'd love to try this strat, but I'm nowhere near high diamond and the guys I get to face in ladder don't react the way they should (and neither do I ).
But still, great use of hallucination and a really unique, although unorthodox, build. I think you should mention that this strat should be used only if you feel confortable maintaining map control, as it is a must to make this work.
Kiarip
Profile Joined August 2008
United States1835 Posts
February 17 2011 16:22 GMT
#75
but what kind of 3 gate robo doesn't at all engage at high level of play? =\

I dunno =/ I guess it's worth doing once in a while.
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
February 17 2011 16:30 GMT
#76
On February 18 2011 01:22 Kiarip wrote:
but what kind of 3 gate robo doesn't at all engage at high level of play? =\

I dunno =/ I guess it's worth doing once in a while.


The kind that sees bunkers with SCVs ready to repair and decides that it would be suicidal to try and break it. If they don't push, they at least have map control and a larger army at that point. They'll be behind on economy, but at least they still have a fighting chance and can instead try for a proxy warpin or drop play to circumvent the defenses.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
February 17 2011 16:33 GMT
#77
Wait, are you playing protoss again on your stream? I completely stopped following when you were going terran for a long stretch.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Nis
Profile Joined August 2010
Singapore45 Posts
February 17 2011 16:34 GMT
#78
I think this is a really good mindgame strategy design to mess around with your opponents. The only problem i see is that it is possible to see the deficit in the sentries' energy and deduce it to be fake immortals if your opponent is really on the ball but i doubt he will be that alert even at really high levels most of the time, since you generally get glimpses of the army only
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
February 17 2011 16:50 GMT
#79
On February 18 2011 01:14 stormtemplar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 01:03 Alejandrisha wrote:
On February 18 2011 00:57 stormtemplar wrote:
On February 18 2011 00:42 Alejandrisha wrote:
On February 18 2011 00:22 Antimage wrote:
It seems like a huge risk given that if you don't have HT's with amulet fast enough, it'll be difficult to defend 2 fronts if they scout your hidden expo.

On the other hand, if terran players suspect a 3 gate robo (delayed expo), they usually try to push with a large number of MMM forces before they think you get to effectively utilize ur expansion for long. At this point, like a regular 1 gate expo, it might be much safer in hindsight to tech to colossi instead - unless at this timing you already have HT's with amulet.

The idea is great though, and I could see it working on maps such as metal close spawn.


Definitely have to agree with you here. I used to do a lot of greedy builds and rushing storm but I have been using nony's build a lot (3gate robo expo ~6mins) and safely teching to colossi and then moving from there. It is a lot more reactive in the sense you can stop all ins much more easily than you can with a 1gate fe vs certain timings. Yeah it's true that your nat kicks in in time for you to get a whole bunch of t1 gateway units but a lot of the time that is not going to cut it.

I feel this style of play, getting a quick hidden expansion propped up on the fact the terran has false information, might work from time to time but I think it's quite risky and a bit of a gimmick.



Can you link me to some replays/a guide for that? It sounds interesting.


Yep I'll upload a couple as soon as I get home from work.


Thanks a lot. I need some PvT builds that don't die to HUGE early pushes. 1 gate is good, but I need a good small map build.


yeah i've pretty much scrapped my 1gate fe because of all the terrible maps and silly terrans who like to proxy tech labbed raxes all over the map O_O
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
idonthinksobro
Profile Joined December 2010
3138 Posts
February 17 2011 16:54 GMT
#80
There seems to be a very long timing window in which he just could roflstomp you because your templars arent out yet.

What i thought was weird about the replay is the terran scanned your probe train + no natural but didnt push, he shouldve known that something fishy is going on.

its risky but if your opponent is passive you get a huge advantage by ninja expoing.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 264
actioN 246
910 109
ZergMaN 31
Bale 29
NotJumperer 25
yabsab 12
Icarus 10
League of Legends
JimRising 556
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King165
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor494
crisheroes181
Other Games
summit1g7764
ceh9434
WinterStarcraft396
Happy300
PiGStarcraft247
Sick229
Livibee172
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick649
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream295
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2380
League of Legends
• Stunt526
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 44m
Stellar Fest
5h 44m
The PondCast
1d 2h
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.