• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:17
CEST 09:17
KST 16:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8528 users

The "fake" 3 gate robo, 1 gate expand - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
drooL
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom2108 Posts
February 22 2011 17:47 GMT
#141
Thanks Mini for sharing this, yo. I love hallucination play, when i was like low Diamond I always incorporated some for the lols (on my stream etc.). I kinda steered away from it because I tried to focus on getting more solid, but I might throw some in again here and there. Will try the build when I have arrived in Masters, which should happen soon, at least i hope :D
@nowSimon
Prinny-tai
Profile Joined November 2010
United States71 Posts
February 22 2011 18:04 GMT
#142
This seems like an interesting build, especially one to run in a BO3 or better a BO5 set, where you can do a 3gate robo play in the series. My only concern is, as other people brought up, builds that rely on being tricky aren't so great, especially when this build becomes more common. Terran players are going to pick up subtle ways to get tipped off that you're faking it(sentry energy, unit comp on first push ect). I'm going to have some fun with this build while I still can though
The Khala is a religion of peace
nb3221a
Profile Joined November 2010
United States35 Posts
February 22 2011 18:28 GMT
#143
Thanks for sharing, I am definitely gonna try this. Just ignore these naysayers, they feel like if they criticize a better player it proves they are good players!
Bergys
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden337 Posts
February 22 2011 18:41 GMT
#144
Builds like this are supercool but I have to say that they have their flaws aswell. First of all your talking about denying scouting, I don't know if this is only in the particular game you linked to in your OP but he has full map control while your nexus is building. That is a perfect opportunity for him to hide scouts/just scout and find your nexus. (And at this point you can't really deny him scouting it either, you have 1 stalker and 2 sentries vs 4 marauders and 1 marine). So if the player your playing against is aware of this build he might be scouting at this time/hiding scouts and that would put you in a awkard position.

I also feel like there's a strong timing for the terran when you put down your third nexus and start teching charge/double forge/high templar etc. Then again there's no incentive for the terran to attack at that point unless he scouted your nexus. He thinks you failed a 3-gate robo attack and wants to milk his expansion as much as he can. Attacking before he has had a considerable economic benefit from his expand makes no sense unless he senses that something is up.

If you manage to fool the terran then sure, this is a great build. And tbh most terrans would probably get fooled by this if they have never seen it before. Really cool strategy but also a one-time only vs the same player imo. Will be sure to try this strategy out on ladder, thanks for sharing!
CCalms
Profile Joined November 2010
United States341 Posts
February 22 2011 19:13 GMT
#145
Gorgeous build, Mr. Chad. I'll definitely be trying this in BO3 tournaments (haven't gotten all the way to a BO5 yet D: )
SgtSquiglz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States668 Posts
February 22 2011 19:22 GMT
#146
On February 19 2011 15:20 Minigun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2011 09:52 Space Invader wrote:
On February 19 2011 01:25 Minigun wrote:
I'm glad it's finally getting some positive feedback. It's frustrating when people come in and see and see a new strat, and try and poke flaws in it. Guess what, every strat has flaws, every, single, one.

I used this strat at the tip top of the ladder, on NA and the korean server. I've lost once, out of twenty or so games, trying it. Every single terran has reacted.

You shouldn't be so emotionally attached to strats, plus this one wasn't created by you so I'm not sure why you feel so strongly about it. If people are pointing out issues with a strategy, and their concerns are actually valid or well thought-out you should be grateful because a strategy doesn't improve by everyone gushing love on it. You can't really pin it's success on how it performs in ladder. Even on KR ladder, when you're playing bo1 against people you aren't familiar with, cheeses and plays like this are always much more effective, especially when they're expecting to be cheesed as most players do.

The strat revolves around denying information of your trickery to the Terran, if they see through you then you'll be undone. Unfortunately there isn't any way to totally deny information to a Terran, there's just too many ways they can scout you. That doesn't mean it's a bad strategy, even if it's somewhat luck-based it can still be a great strategy to pull out in a bo3 or bo5 to catch your opponent off-guard, exactly how it was used when the strat was introduced by IMSeed in the GSTL. But like all strats that revolve around trickery, as it becomes more popular players learn to read its tells and it becomes less effective. Especially this one, I think, because it's only used in such specific circumstances.


I'm not attached to it at all, I just like strats to have a fair chance, before they are bashed.

Every strat has flaws, just about every strat has a counter if scouted, no?

People are pointing out such obvious things.

-What if it gets scouted?

deny scouting obviously

-What if he scans the probe transfer?

well if scans your dark shrine you are screwed as well, pick a good time to do it.

etc etc etc

I mean I kind of know why top players don't bother posting here.


Aw, Mini, dont get that mentality! I love reading about these new strategies, especially coming from high profile players such as yourself. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

imo, its definitely a clever strat. I love hearing new things to try out (even though I can rarely pull them off very well...) Gonna try it out after I'm done with midterms this week =P
Take anything I say with a grain of salt.....I suck at this game. Also, Go Blue!
SetStndbySmn
Profile Joined August 2010
United States657 Posts
February 22 2011 19:55 GMT
#147
I've had tremendous success with this build, and I really enjoy employing it on LT like seed did. There's plenty of space in your main to hide your structures, it's easy to deny scouting of your natural short of scans, and the watchtowers are such focal points that it's easy to convey your fake poke to your opponent.

Yesterday I used it in mid-master with great results; he had 7 scvs pulled for around 1 minute, and I was able to take another main as a 3rd really quickly. Because of the economic advantages of this open, I actually had the resources to respond to mech with carriers in a timely manner, which felt awesome ^_^.
"He doesn't operate under some divine shroud that lets him determine what is or is not valid culture. He cannot rob you, retroactively, of wholly valid experiences; he cannot transform them into worthless things." - Tycho
Sweetness.751
Profile Joined April 2011
United States225 Posts
April 15 2011 14:16 GMT
#148
I hope i don't get warned for bringing this thread back after 2 months, but since its one of those recommended threads every toss should read I assume it will be ok.

I first want to tip my cap to Minigun for coming up with this build. Its thought out and very solid against FE Terrans. A lot of people are trying to poke holes in it and find weaknesses. But like Minigun said it is very viable under the conditions he suggested. First off, many Terran's don't scout the 3rd or 4th bases for hidden expos and they definitely don't waste a mule on (via scanings) all of the expos.

Also like he said this is an advanced strat not because its difficult to pull off tactically but because you are relying on the Terran to be intelligent. There is a huge Meta game that goes on between players at the highest skill level. They know exactly what the other race is capable of. This build feeds Terran false information through hallucination to lead them to another conclusion. When Terran doesn't see the natural expo go down he will assume 1 base play by toss. Yes he might scout with an SCV for hidden expos at this point but you have map control, you should deny all scouting. Thus making him conclude even more that you are 1 basing.

Terran will not scan anywhere but your ramp for army composition or possibly your main for tech information. That is why you hide your tech (or lack there of) in an uncommon location.

In addition, I have a replay to post. It was in customs Xel'Naga but the match was a Master level game so there is something to take away from it. However with that being said, my replay is not identical to Minigun's post.

First my expo was not hidden and I did not 1 gate FE, but my opponent did 1 Rax FE. I tried to 3 gate contain into an expo which failed miserably. I was practicing the strat in customs before using it on ladder. However I was far from dead (just that my contain was poorly executed). I decided to expand immediately then made a 4th gate and got hallucination. I was thinking that I could hallucinate a larger army to make my attack more threatening.

When the battle started I hallucinated 3 Immortals and "surprising" continued to stomp his army. He pulled SCV's as well, and this is with fake Immortals. Granted I caught him with his pants down because a moment before he salvaged his bunker but stim also finished at that time so he felt the threat was over.

Also I will be the first to say he microed his units poorly initially. (Basically walked right into my Zealots)

This goes to show how weak 1 Rax FE really is. Mini you can include it in the original post if you want or not. I'm just throwing it out there.

P.S the ideal composition is Zealots/Sentries/(4-5 Stalkers max) and then hallucinate the approximate number of immortals you think is viable by that point. He might get suspicious if you have too much gas in your army comp so be wary of making too many sentries/stalkers.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=203384#/replay_overview

Also I stayed in game for a while after. This is how I practice my macro and so I can smooth out my mechanics/game plan assuming the match hadn't ended.
Elentos wrote: Do you think only 10 life points more for Viking is enough bObA wrote: 10 life points is all you need to send someone to the Shadow Realm.
freetgy
Profile Joined November 2010
1720 Posts
April 15 2011 16:51 GMT
#149
i am doing something similar in PvZ with faking some colossus beside 1-2 real ones and go mass upgraded Blink Stalker, gives you an edge if your opponent does make to much corrupter and isn't scouting properly.
PR4Y
Profile Joined November 2010
United States260 Posts
April 16 2011 07:19 GMT
#150
LOL i just watched this replay very thoroughly, from both playercams, multiple times... i'd just like to make a few comments.


As a protoss myself, this was SO AWESOME to see. You 100% completely manipulated the situation, and took massive advantage from it. This displays amazingly creative use of Hallucination, which itself is something that is still VERY underused. This proves that there is some innovative strategies involving Hallucination that have yet to be seen.


Also, I just want to say to anyone that wants to know what drove me to come write this post and thank Minigun so heavily... At the VERY end of the game, RIGHT before the end of the match... trying to picture the look on that terran's face IRL when he scanned and saw the ninja expo with such production / economy, is absolutely priceless. His actions throughout the entire game (from the playercam) make it clear that he thought he was so far ahead...



10/10. I'm going to ladder to try this now. (obviously I know it's a situational build... hopefully I can create the ideal situation )
I'm your average Brotoss brother, weilding my brommortal, brothership, brolossus, bro ray, broenix... BROTHERHOOD OF BROTOSS
will.pity
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia89 Posts
April 16 2011 08:18 GMT
#151
I am a zerg player so perhaps I have no place contributing. But as far as I can see the only weak point is if the terran tries to drop your main and flies over your expo ( which isn't that improbable imo, terrans are dropping every game I play against them, and I figure they do the same to protoss ).

Is this a case where the strategy could fail? If your spread out on 3 base quickly you wont really be able to defend if he does scout it.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/2202857/1/pity/
askTeivospy
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1525 Posts
April 16 2011 08:30 GMT
#152
cool and viable build and idea, only effective way to scout it is if the terran has enough intelligence to scan your cybercore and see if its researching after warpgates are done
hihihi
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
April 16 2011 08:52 GMT
#153
ridiculously clever build makes me wish i played protoss and not zerg ^_^ thanks for sharing.
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
April 16 2011 08:59 GMT
#154
On February 17 2011 20:15 Dommk wrote:
What if they remain completely oblivious and do a stim timing attack? Do you think you would be able to hold it off?


The first rule of bluffing is to never bluff an idiot.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
Jinsho
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom3101 Posts
April 16 2011 09:11 GMT
#155
If this won't work against a Platinum player "because he's too dumb to react properly", it's not a strategy.

A "strategy" that relies on the other person to make a mistake is not a strategy. It's cheese by definition.

This is metagaming, cheese, playing the player, mindgames, call it as you will.


kyarisan
Profile Joined May 2010
United States347 Posts
April 16 2011 11:10 GMT
#156
Except for the fact that if you let them scout your expansion, you're the one who made the mistake...
Ravomat
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-16 11:59:14
April 16 2011 11:58 GMT
#157
On April 16 2011 18:11 Jinsho wrote:
If this won't work against a Platinum player "because he's too dumb to react properly", it's not a strategy.

A "strategy" that relies on the other person to make a mistake is not a strategy. It's cheese by definition.

This is metagaming, cheese, playing the player, mindgames, call it as you will.


That is just great. Throwing in a bunch of terms and dismissing this build as bad with no basis for discussion. 3 of those terms basically mean the same thing and remember that it worked in the GSTL. This build relies on giving away wrong tells. Of course this build bears a high risk but you get a high reward if you do it correctly and pull it off. Personally I'd ban your ass just for your ignorance.

So if you truly think this is cheese then you are going to be delighted to hear about the adjustments I would do to play this build.
I'd get a lot more sentries for 2 reasons: to get the 4th gate earlier for safety & being able to hallucinate more and whatever you want. This is important because you need to hide the sentries in case players start to pay more attention to sentry energy levels. So you don't bring the sentries because you do not want to show that you would be able to do hallucination play and more importantly having a lot of sentries means you are spending your minerals elsewhere i.e. on a Nexus. Then you need to make sure hallucinated units never shoot. At all. In Miniguns replay the hallucinated immortal shoots at a scv and if his opponent had noticed this it would be a much different game.

It's unfortunate that there is only 1 (2) replay(s) but I think it certainly is viable as long as you're cautious enough to not screw up and aggressive enough that your opponent really believes you are going to attack him. So no this is certainly no strategy that would ever work in platinum league because not knowing what the proper response is is not a mistake it's lacking gameplay knowledge.
Synapze
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada563 Posts
April 16 2011 12:14 GMT
#158
I don't see this opening working that well to be honest.. why would a terran have 2+ bunkers up without any signs of immortal until the fact? Sure, he may assume you're cheesing but I'm pretty sure every terran that doesn't see an expo before 6:00 assumes that.

Now you would say something like, well yes.. I want him to think that. True enough, but 9/10 terrans (including myself 4k last season) will have a turret with their bunkers if they have no scouting information except a lack of expansion as they have to prepare for both voidray and DT.

I am also curious when you push? If you're pushing at the same time a regular 3gate robo is with a similar amount of illusioned units, then your DT's are going to be late (or at least I would assume).

This is interesting though... if the Terran doesn't turret based on the absence of scouting information I would consider that a grave mistake.. especially if hes expanding. Heck, if you're fighting a guy with no turrets at 7:00 + you might as well have just gone DT to begin with.. but that's only my opinion lol

This strat is like a triple head fake.. you went for one too many and faked yourself out.
Yuri Victoria LMJ ~♥
theLiminator
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada57 Posts
April 17 2011 02:39 GMT
#159
Why are you guys bashing his build so much. Minigun is obviously top top tier, and if it works for him on the korean ladder, OBVIOUSLY it's quite effective against high level opponents. If anything, him posting his build here for us is gonna make it less effective. But I digress, this build relies on denial of scouting and intelligent use of "fake pressure." Obviously, who doesn't pull scvs when getting hit by a 3 gate robo *facepalm*. The point of this build is to take a massive economic advantage, whilst keeping terran on their toes. Gratz to Minigun for posting this build for us.
I can dance all day.
iChau
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1210 Posts
April 17 2011 02:59 GMT
#160
On April 16 2011 21:14 Synapze wrote:
I don't see this opening working that well to be honest.. why would a terran have 2+ bunkers up without any signs of immortal until the fact? Sure, he may assume you're cheesing but I'm pretty sure every terran that doesn't see an expo before 6:00 assumes that.

Now you would say something like, well yes.. I want him to think that. True enough, but 9/10 terrans (including myself 4k last season) will have a turret with their bunkers if they have no scouting information except a lack of expansion as they have to prepare for both voidray and DT.

I am also curious when you push? If you're pushing at the same time a regular 3gate robo is with a similar amount of illusioned units, then your DT's are going to be late (or at least I would assume).

This is interesting though... if the Terran doesn't turret based on the absence of scouting information I would consider that a grave mistake.. especially if hes expanding. Heck, if you're fighting a guy with no turrets at 7:00 + you might as well have just gone DT to begin with.. but that's only my opinion lol

This strat is like a triple head fake.. you went for one too many and faked yourself out.


Um, if a terran sees a lot of sentries/stalkers for hallucination, why the hell would you assume stargate or dark templars?

If you put a turret based on a FAILED assumption (because you don't know how to analyze army compositions), then you BLINDLY countered it.

Congrats.

Anyways, NO good terran will assume DT's and void rays off of a medium sized stalker/sentry army.

I don't know why you even typed that.
us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1688911/1/SaniShahin/ | http://teamenvy.net/
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 264
actioN 246
910 109
ZergMaN 31
Bale 29
NotJumperer 25
yabsab 12
Icarus 10
League of Legends
JimRising 556
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King165
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor494
crisheroes181
Other Games
summit1g7764
ceh9434
WinterStarcraft396
Happy300
PiGStarcraft247
Sick229
Livibee172
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick649
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream295
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2380
League of Legends
• Stunt526
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 44m
Stellar Fest
5h 44m
The PondCast
1d 2h
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.