• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:16
CEST 11:16
KST 18:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202616Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7499 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 308

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 900 Next
MonkeyBear
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada3 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-02 11:32:03
August 02 2011 11:26 GMT
#6141
In ZvT if i hold off marine tank push and mass mutas and they transition into marine thor. should i continue to build mutas? What can i transition into to effectively counter that unit composition as zerg?

edit. ling/bling or roaches or broods. nvm
lions tigers and bears
Iranon
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States983 Posts
August 02 2011 14:24 GMT
#6142
Haven't played in a few months, and I understand the 3 gate sentry PvZ opening is all but dead thanks to new roach/ling timings. What's a good build to learn as a "standard" PvZ? Forge expand on maps where it's possible and otherwise doooo something...?
ToastieNL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-02 15:48:00
August 02 2011 14:29 GMT
#6143
/NOT
Zerg lategame is imbalanced as shit. Also: "Protoss is really strong recently. Perhaps, it's time for there to be some changes for Terran." -MMA. Even MMA asks for buffs. Srsly Blizzard. Srsly.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
August 02 2011 15:00 GMT
#6144
On August 02 2011 12:14 lizzard_warish wrote:
What are you suppose to do in PVT on Xelnaga? Assuming it gets to the mid game [ I refuse to cheese as I want to improve] it seems like the terran can just grab his gold third, virtually uncontestably and then has a two foot rush distance into my side of the map. How am I suppose to harass or exert any degree of pressure?


Assuming you play somewhat standard PvT, your entire mid game goal should be to stop the terran from setting up the 3rd. If you think it's uncontestable, then you either fell behind early game, or have poor scouting/macro/army engagements and we need a replay to see what you're doing wrong. If the terran safely sets up his 3rd, then your goal is just to get to the 200/200 late game. You should strive to be slightly ahead on bases/expanding. The close rush distance should not be an issue for you as long as you have observers/watchtower control and know where the terran army is at all times (which you should on any map). The only time when this would be an issue is if the Terran goes mech, but that's a different story.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
August 02 2011 15:04 GMT
#6145
On August 02 2011 23:29 ToastieNL wrote:
You need fast VRays to hold a Roach all-in if you expand


This is a really big misconception, FE > stargate is a great build but void rays are neither necessary for safety nor guarantee your safety. Other routes such as cannon/sentry or DTs can be safe too, and you can still lose to an all-in that consists of mostly lings (with a few roaches to help bust cannons/sentries) even if you have a void ray out, your void ray will end up with 30 ling kills but you won't have a base left afterwards.
iChau
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1210 Posts
August 02 2011 15:43 GMT
#6146
On June 18 2011 00:23 Anihc wrote:
(anyone ever play mBnBuki? lol)


mBnBuki all-ins every single TvP..
us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1688911/1/SaniShahin/ | http://teamenvy.net/
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
August 02 2011 16:12 GMT
#6147
On August 02 2011 12:14 lizzard_warish wrote:
What are you suppose to do in PVT on Xelnaga? Assuming it gets to the mid game [ I refuse to cheese as I want to improve] it seems like the terran can just grab his gold third, virtually uncontestably and then has a two foot rush distance into my side of the map. How am I suppose to harass or exert any degree of pressure?


It's fairly common for terran to take the gold third on that map, and as Protoss you should try to react accordingly. Make sure you build a forward pylon at your gold 3rd as well. If you want to exert pressure, you have to do so in the usual fashion-- by attacking. Harass options include using blink stalkers with a spotting observer to harass his gold mineral line from below, or a zealot walkby through the backdoor of the natural. Most terrans will build a PF at the gold on this map, try not to engage him in range of the PF.

Another thing you could do is watch some VoDs/streams of high level protoss players in the mid game on this map to get a feel for what they do.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Venomsflame
Profile Joined February 2011
United States613 Posts
August 02 2011 17:21 GMT
#6148
In BroodWar, some zerg builds revolve around using first 100 gas for lair and THEN next 100 gas for speed. Is there anything close to this in SC2 at the moment? I personally get speed pretty late most ZvPs anyway(mine one on gas if I don't scout an early pressure build until later), but is there any way to utilize lair tech that early?

In Beta when I first started playing I used to mine 3 on gas(getting gas on 13), get speed, then lair, then overseer for quick scouting/safety. It worked kind of like a one gate robo expand vs Terran with a quick observer. It wasn't as economic as I'd like and I haven't even thought about it in months but after watching some old Brood War replays it got me wondering if lair before speed could ever be viable in SC2.
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
August 02 2011 17:26 GMT
#6149
As a Protoss, I don't know how Terran player feels. Question: When a Terran stims before medivacs are out, do they feel bad, as in they feel their units are all weaker now? Do Terrans 2nd stim before medivacs or do they have a rule of thumb like 1 stim w/o medivac, 2-3 stims with them? Masters P
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-02 17:33:02
August 02 2011 17:32 GMT
#6150
On August 03 2011 02:26 tehemperorer wrote:
As a Protoss, I don't know how Terran player feels. Question: When a Terran stims before medivacs are out, do they feel bad, as in they feel their units are all weaker now? Do Terrans 2nd stim before medivacs or do they have a rule of thumb like 1 stim w/o medivac, 2-3 stims with them? Masters P


Any time you stim before medivacs are out, you either do it when it's absolutely necessary to defend, or you're sure you can kill several stalkers/zealots. If you stim and don't kill anything, it's pretty huge, and you worry about a timing attack that hits before medivac.

Basically, what I've seen is that until I have medivacs, minor skirmishes are very dangerous; if I don't stim, I might lose, if I do stim, I NEED to deal a good amount of damage so he can't re-engage and win after the stim wears off.

Of course, this is on the defensive, when the protoss player is able to retreat. If I am attacking, I am much happier stimming since I can force an engagement.

Once I have medivacs, I'm much more comfortable stimming to defend or catch spare units. Once I have 4+ medivacs I'm cool stimming for whatever, basically.

On August 03 2011 02:21 Venomsflame wrote:
In BroodWar, some zerg builds revolve around using first 100 gas for lair and THEN next 100 gas for speed. Is there anything close to this in SC2 at the moment? I personally get speed pretty late most ZvPs anyway(mine one on gas if I don't scout an early pressure build until later), but is there any way to utilize lair tech that early?

In Beta when I first started playing I used to mine 3 on gas(getting gas on 13), get speed, then lair, then overseer for quick scouting/safety. It worked kind of like a one gate robo expand vs Terran with a quick observer. It wasn't as economic as I'd like and I haven't even thought about it in months but after watching some old Brood War replays it got me wondering if lair before speed could ever be viable in SC2.


Gas is twice as larvae-intensive and drone-intensive as it was in brood war because you mine at half the rate and have twice as many geysers; you need 6 drones, 2 extractors for full saturation as opposed to 3 drones, 1 extractor. that's a lot of minerals not mined. In BW you'd see more tech-ey builds because it costed less minerals to have gas. In Sc2 this is not the case. Most zerg players mine just 100 gas for speed, then go pure minerals to drone up to 2-base saturation.

Lair before speed could be viable, but you need to do something with it-- like get roach speed, or hydras, or whatever your plan is, and it will require a lot of gas, which is hard on low drone counts, lower if you mine more gas and fewer minerals. Fast tech builds are hard for zerg. Instead of rushing overseer, use speedling pokes and ovie sacs to scout until a later lair is up.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
August 02 2011 17:43 GMT
#6151
On August 03 2011 02:21 Venomsflame wrote:
In BroodWar, some zerg builds revolve around using first 100 gas for lair and THEN next 100 gas for speed. Is there anything close to this in SC2 at the moment? I personally get speed pretty late most ZvPs anyway(mine one on gas if I don't scout an early pressure build until later), but is there any way to utilize lair tech that early?

In Beta when I first started playing I used to mine 3 on gas(getting gas on 13), get speed, then lair, then overseer for quick scouting/safety. It worked kind of like a one gate robo expand vs Terran with a quick observer. It wasn't as economic as I'd like and I haven't even thought about it in months but after watching some old Brood War replays it got me wondering if lair before speed could ever be viable in SC2.

Sc2 zerglings are not BW zerglings, you need speed fast against early pressures. That, and in BW going super fast mutas was safe because protoss responses to mutas were fairly high up the tech tree, and turrets were terribe vs mutas, so you were pretty much gurenteed damage of some sort. Neither of those is the case inSC2, so it is just safer to stay tier one.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
August 02 2011 23:31 GMT
#6152
Can someone please PM me or respond with a cast/replay of a pro level game of TvZ on Tal Darim Altar where the Zerg plays well and doesn't make any major mistakes but still loses in the mid-late game? I'm going to emulate whoever the Terran is.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
lizzard_warish
Profile Joined June 2011
589 Posts
August 03 2011 02:00 GMT
#6153
Does anyone know of the exact build or a replay to demonstrate the six gate into 2 stargate phoneix which is popular in korea? My GOD does it look fun!
Soulforged
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Latvia982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 02:30:38
August 03 2011 02:28 GMT
#6154
Okay, simple situation: PvZ, I'm going FFE into fast stargate with 1 void ray \ 3 phoenix; if the zerg has taken a quick 3rd, and I've killed some drones\queens\forced spores, can I take a 3rd base off only 2 gateways production(zerg's saturating his own 3rd atm)? Or should I do it only on a map with "easy" 3rd, like LT?
I usually try to stop stargate production and grab robo/3rd after zerg secures his 3rd, quickly adding to 5 gates/colossi afterwards, perhaps I need to do it before taking 3rd and wait for at least one colossi?
cElph
Profile Joined May 2011
United States29 Posts
August 03 2011 02:39 GMT
#6155
With Hellion opening being so popular in ZvT,is it ok to just forfeit map control to the Terran?I've gotten into the habit of playing gasless in every match where I scout Reactor/Blue Flame Hellions and blindly making 3 Spines/2 extra Queens and grabbing all my gas around 40ish supply.Should I continue playing this way,or should I fight for the map?
Fat Ninja
Profile Joined January 2011
11 Posts
August 03 2011 03:46 GMT
#6156
for zergs.... how do you keep track of your queen injections? do you just "know" when it's time to inject because you're used to it? do you hotkey a queen or a hatch separately in order to be able to check on it by tapping the hotkey once so you don't have to look away from your army? or do you just visually check by double tapping the hotkey for your queens/hatches?
LlamaNamedOsama
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1900 Posts
August 03 2011 03:59 GMT
#6157
As a terran player playing against protoss, if you scout their base and notice that the protoss is going gas heavy very early but with low sentry count, is there any way for you to determine whether the protoss is going DTs or stargate (besides seeing the actual tech)?
Dario Wünsch: I guess...Creator...met his maker *sunglasses*
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
August 03 2011 04:18 GMT
#6158
On August 03 2011 11:39 cElph wrote:
With Hellion opening being so popular in ZvT,is it ok to just forfeit map control to the Terran?I've gotten into the habit of playing gasless in every match where I scout Reactor/Blue Flame Hellions and blindly making 3 Spines/2 extra Queens and grabbing all my gas around 40ish supply.Should I continue playing this way,or should I fight for the map?

Vs. Reactor hellion you can not fight for map control until you have MB finished. After this point you can go clear out his hellions as long as you have enough lings to win your fights vs them.

Vs BFH, it depends on what you want to do really. Personally, I never really fought for map control vs them because the way I see it his siege will be delayed until after my spire pops, and then my mutas can take back map control and I can go take my third.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
August 03 2011 04:21 GMT
#6159
On August 03 2011 11:28 Soulforged wrote:
Okay, simple situation: PvZ, I'm going FFE into fast stargate with 1 void ray \ 3 phoenix; if the zerg has taken a quick 3rd, and I've killed some drones\queens\forced spores, can I take a 3rd base off only 2 gateways production(zerg's saturating his own 3rd atm)? Or should I do it only on a map with "easy" 3rd, like LT?
I usually try to stop stargate production and grab robo/3rd after zerg secures his 3rd, quickly adding to 5 gates/colossi afterwards, perhaps I need to do it before taking 3rd and wait for at least one colossi?

For the first part of the question - It depends on the map. On LT(I never FFE there) you can, although you need to tack on extra gates ASAP, especially if it gets scouted. If your opponent is doing 2 base roach/hydra(more likely) or roach/infestor(less likely) pressure you ARE going to die, because you simply don't have the stuff to hold it. Obviously you just get plain countered by a roach hydra attack and a roach infestor attack is going to bust your FFE, and kill any gateway units you have, as well as snipe a base or two(and you can't pull probes because of FG).
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
August 03 2011 04:22 GMT
#6160
On August 03 2011 12:46 Fat Ninja wrote:
for zergs.... how do you keep track of your queen injections? do you just "know" when it's time to inject because you're used to it? do you hotkey a queen or a hatch separately in order to be able to check on it by tapping the hotkey once so you don't have to look away from your army? or do you just visually check by double tapping the hotkey for your queens/hatches?

I played about 800 games as Zerg, and by the middle-end of it I was able to get an instinctual sense for when my larva would pop. I never checked.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3887
Bisu 368
Soma 341
Rush 295
BeSt 187
Hyuk 112
Killer 109
ToSsGirL 79
Shinee 66
Mong 64
[ Show more ]
Sexy 45
sorry 13
yabsab 7
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc2304
Counter-Strike
olofmeister691
byalli607
shoxiejesuss553
edward21
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
gofns28960
summit1g7659
ceh9506
Happy283
dupreeh241
crisheroes158
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast7
• LUISG 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1639
• Stunt394
Upcoming Events
OSC
13h 44m
Big Brain Bouts
1d
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-07
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.