• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:59
CEST 04:59
KST 11:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9501 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 169

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 167 168 169 170 171 900 Next
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
May 28 2011 10:37 GMT
#3361
On May 27 2011 22:55 DontLoseSightOfIt wrote:
Always making SCVs/??? = /

Ok anoterh question!

Which is better....and yes I have used the search function. Hellion harass vs Reaper? I assume reaper is only good if there is lots of cliffs....in general hellions may be more beneficial?

And is there guide for reaper and hellions? THe ones on search are only TvT reaper rush etc. I want something more for general purposes.


Always hellions. They don't cost any gas, build much faster and their splash destroys workers.

Reapers are pretty much useless, that's why they are so rare in pro games(usually just one for scouting). They were heavily nerfed and even when they were used, it was just in TvZ, because they had speed available early and roaches had 3 range, so they could kite them.
I'll call Nada.
RM_12
Profile Joined March 2011
201 Posts
May 28 2011 10:49 GMT
#3362
On May 28 2011 17:16 MockHamill wrote:
How do you focus fire with tanks in a Tank/Marine vs Zergling/Baneling battle? Please explain in detail and also explain when it worth to focus fire and when it is not.


You should micro them when you can afford the time. Just aim in the middle of the group of units, to maximize splash demage
InSidious425
Profile Joined May 2011
United States18 Posts
May 28 2011 11:05 GMT
#3363
What was the reasoning behind the recent stimpack research time nerf?
"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it."
dynwar7
Profile Joined May 2011
1983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 11:19:26
May 28 2011 11:10 GMT
#3364
Hi all

Few questions regarding terran:

1. What is MMM really good against? Is it like more of general-purpose group?
2. What is the ratio of MMM?
3. I heard MMM is ok vs P but not Z. Why is that?
4. Out of the Rax tech lab, which one is most commonly researched first? Is it concussive? Followed by shield then stimpack?

Thanks
Regarding the imbalance, hilarious to see Zergs defending themselves....
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
May 28 2011 11:11 GMT
#3365
On May 28 2011 20:05 InSidious425 wrote:
What was the reasoning behind the recent stimpack research time nerf?


From the 1.3 situation report:


Stimpack upgrade research time increased from 140 to 170 seconds.

It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve heard that there were concerns from players about the use of Stimpacks and there’s a reason why; Stimpack timing pushes by terran players can be extremely difficult for opponents to stop without employing effective scouting. We wanted these types of pushes to come slightly later in order to provide more time for opponents to prepare for these attacks and to potentially get scouting units together to effectively scout for these types of pushes.
CptHindsight
Profile Joined May 2011
Norway1 Post
May 28 2011 12:11 GMT
#3366
If you use Psyionic Storm twice on the same enemy or a group of enemies at the exact same time, will it then deal the same amount of damage as one storm or to separate storms?
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
May 28 2011 12:47 GMT
#3367
On May 28 2011 21:11 CptHindsight wrote:
If you use Psyionic Storm twice on the same enemy or a group of enemies at the exact same time, will it then deal the same amount of damage as one storm or to separate storms?


Storms do not stack, therefor it will deal the same damage.
geiko.813 (EU)
rfoster
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1005 Posts
May 28 2011 13:18 GMT
#3368
Has any pro ever gone triple forge?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 13:46:42
May 28 2011 13:46 GMT
#3369
On May 28 2011 22:18 gogatorsfoster wrote:
Has any pro ever gone triple forge?


Pretty sure the answer is no. Shield upgrades are generally not worth getting until 3-3 as they are too expensive for the benefit they give you; not to mention that on 2 bases your army will be too small if you do, and you shouldn't need to on 3+ bases since you will probably have decent attack/armor upgrades by then.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
onoz
Profile Joined March 2011
Malaysia3 Posts
May 28 2011 16:04 GMT
#3370
i've played about 325 games as protoss collectively in 1v1s 2v2s 3v3s and 4v4s is it too late to switch to zerg ? (im only in gold league tho)
toniiight
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
May 28 2011 16:07 GMT
#3371
On May 29 2011 01:04 onoz wrote:
i've played about 325 games as protoss collectively in 1v1s 2v2s 3v3s and 4v4s is it too late to switch to zerg ? (im only in gold league tho)


It's never too late.
MorroW went from being a pro level terran to pro level Zerg in a couple of month. If you are motivated enough you'll succeed.
Maybe this can inspire you :
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=157088
geiko.813 (EU)
Ironsights
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
May 28 2011 16:15 GMT
#3372
I didn't see the answer to this on Liquipedia, nor did I find a thread that seemed satisfactory either, but at the same time I don't think the question is worth a thread all on its own, so here I am. My apologies if this is not the correct location for my question. Anyway:

As a Terran, what unit or unit composition can I use to defeat Ultralisks without commiting to an air army?

Obviously I am not asking for a guide or full game strategy here (since its simple answers ) but I know bio falls short, Thors lose, and tanks are nice but its hard to have enough tanks and enough hellions to handle the lings that ever accompany the ultralisks.

Basically what I am asking for is a "point you in the right direction" sort of tip.

Thanks much.
Pain, like any other emotion, can be turned off. // If there can be no victory, then I shall fight forever.
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 16:26:30
May 28 2011 16:23 GMT
#3373
On May 29 2011 01:15 Ironsights wrote:
I didn't see the answer to this on Liquipedia, nor did I find a thread that seemed satisfactory either, but at the same time I don't think the question is worth a thread all on its own, so here I am. My apologies if this is not the correct location for my question. Anyway:

As a Terran, what unit or unit composition can I use to defeat Ultralisks without commiting to an air army?

Obviously I am not asking for a guide or full game strategy here (since its simple answers ) but I know bio falls short, Thors lose, and tanks are nice but its hard to have enough tanks and enough hellions to handle the lings that ever accompany the ultralisks.

Basically what I am asking for is a "point you in the right direction" sort of tip.

Thanks much.


Marauders, Thors (to an extent), and Siege Tanks are all reasonable answers.

When facing against ultralisks it always best to do so near some sort of choke so that they get bottle necked and can't all deal good splash damage when they surround your army.

The next big thing is target firing. Normally a zerg army will have more than just ultras with a mix of roaches/lings. Because of this you need to focus fire down the ultras in order (not only targeting ultras instead of lings/roaches but targeting ultras so that you kill one entirely then the next, instead of spreading the damage out amongst them). If your Thors are firing at zerglings its a sure way to lose your army.

One other thing is that marines spread out sufficiently actually don't take that much damage from ultralisks so if they are attacking your marines while your marauders/thors/tanks deal the good damage you should be in a good situation.

Hope that helps
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
Ironsights
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
May 28 2011 16:33 GMT
#3374
On May 29 2011 01:23 HardCorey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 29 2011 01:15 Ironsights wrote:
I didn't see the answer to this on Liquipedia, nor did I find a thread that seemed satisfactory either, but at the same time I don't think the question is worth a thread all on its own, so here I am. My apologies if this is not the correct location for my question. Anyway:

As a Terran, what unit or unit composition can I use to defeat Ultralisks without commiting to an air army?

Obviously I am not asking for a guide or full game strategy here (since its simple answers ) but I know bio falls short, Thors lose, and tanks are nice but its hard to have enough tanks and enough hellions to handle the lings that ever accompany the ultralisks.

Basically what I am asking for is a "point you in the right direction" sort of tip.

Thanks much.


Marauders, Thors (to an extent), and Siege Tanks are all reasonable answers.

When facing against ultralisks it always best to do so near some sort of choke so that they get bottle necked and can't all deal good splash damage when they surround your army.

The next big thing is target firing. Normally a zerg army will have more than just ultras with a mix of roaches/lings. Because of this you need to focus fire down the ultras in order (not only targeting ultras instead of lings/roaches but targeting ultras so that you kill one entirely then the next, instead of spreading the damage out amongst them). If your Thors are firing at zerglings its a sure way to lose your army.

One other thing is that marines spread out sufficiently actually don't take that much damage from ultralisks so if they are attacking your marines while your marauders/thors/tanks deal the good damage you should be in a good situation.

Hope that helps


Thank you.

I shall angle my play in that direction. Marauders I haven't been using, but will add in, and I'll try and force more choke points instead of just pushing into their base.

Lets see if I can fend off falling back to silver just a while longer lol.
Pain, like any other emotion, can be turned off. // If there can be no victory, then I shall fight forever.
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 16:45:30
May 28 2011 16:41 GMT
#3375
On May 29 2011 01:33 Ironsights wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 29 2011 01:23 HardCorey wrote:
On May 29 2011 01:15 Ironsights wrote:
I didn't see the answer to this on Liquipedia, nor did I find a thread that seemed satisfactory either, but at the same time I don't think the question is worth a thread all on its own, so here I am. My apologies if this is not the correct location for my question. Anyway:

As a Terran, what unit or unit composition can I use to defeat Ultralisks without commiting to an air army?

Obviously I am not asking for a guide or full game strategy here (since its simple answers ) but I know bio falls short, Thors lose, and tanks are nice but its hard to have enough tanks and enough hellions to handle the lings that ever accompany the ultralisks.

Basically what I am asking for is a "point you in the right direction" sort of tip.

Thanks much.


Marauders, Thors (to an extent), and Siege Tanks are all reasonable answers.

When facing against ultralisks it always best to do so near some sort of choke so that they get bottle necked and can't all deal good splash damage when they surround your army.

The next big thing is target firing. Normally a zerg army will have more than just ultras with a mix of roaches/lings. Because of this you need to focus fire down the ultras in order (not only targeting ultras instead of lings/roaches but targeting ultras so that you kill one entirely then the next, instead of spreading the damage out amongst them). If your Thors are firing at zerglings its a sure way to lose your army.

One other thing is that marines spread out sufficiently actually don't take that much damage from ultralisks so if they are attacking your marines while your marauders/thors/tanks deal the good damage you should be in a good situation.

Hope that helps


Thank you.

I shall angle my play in that direction. Marauders I haven't been using, but will add in, and I'll try and force more choke points instead of just pushing into their base.

Lets see if I can fend off falling back to silver just a while longer lol.


Glad it helped :D

To be fair at the silver level you should probably be more focusing on just having more stuff(macroing well), not getting supply blocked and keeping your money low. Positioning and micro still come into play but are less important until your macro skills are stronger. I'd recommend taking a read through This Thread for some simple ways to go about improving your play.

Good luck
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
Ironsights
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
May 28 2011 16:54 GMT
#3376
On May 29 2011 01:41 HardCorey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 29 2011 01:33 Ironsights wrote:
On May 29 2011 01:23 HardCorey wrote:
On May 29 2011 01:15 Ironsights wrote:
I didn't see the answer to this on Liquipedia, nor did I find a thread that seemed satisfactory either, but at the same time I don't think the question is worth a thread all on its own, so here I am. My apologies if this is not the correct location for my question. Anyway:

As a Terran, what unit or unit composition can I use to defeat Ultralisks without commiting to an air army?

Obviously I am not asking for a guide or full game strategy here (since its simple answers ) but I know bio falls short, Thors lose, and tanks are nice but its hard to have enough tanks and enough hellions to handle the lings that ever accompany the ultralisks.

Basically what I am asking for is a "point you in the right direction" sort of tip.

Thanks much.


Marauders, Thors (to an extent), and Siege Tanks are all reasonable answers.

When facing against ultralisks it always best to do so near some sort of choke so that they get bottle necked and can't all deal good splash damage when they surround your army.

The next big thing is target firing. Normally a zerg army will have more than just ultras with a mix of roaches/lings. Because of this you need to focus fire down the ultras in order (not only targeting ultras instead of lings/roaches but targeting ultras so that you kill one entirely then the next, instead of spreading the damage out amongst them). If your Thors are firing at zerglings its a sure way to lose your army.

One other thing is that marines spread out sufficiently actually don't take that much damage from ultralisks so if they are attacking your marines while your marauders/thors/tanks deal the good damage you should be in a good situation.

Hope that helps


Thank you.

I shall angle my play in that direction. Marauders I haven't been using, but will add in, and I'll try and force more choke points instead of just pushing into their base.

Lets see if I can fend off falling back to silver just a while longer lol.


Glad it helped :D

To be fair at the silver level you should probably be more focusing on just having more stuff(macroing well), not getting supply blocked and keeping your money low. Positioning and micro still come into play but are less important until your macro skills are stronger. I'd recommend taking a read through This Thread for some simple ways to go about improving your play.

Good luck


I am actually in Gold...and beat plat level protoss and terran with some regularity. Still lose to Gold P/T so, maybe not promotion worthy but still passable. Zerg is another story...but I am learning! And you are right, its my mechanics that hurt me the most. I have low APM (around 40 average) and once I get in the heat of battle I often forget SCV's though I usually do remember to macro combat units.

Thanks again though. That thread does have some interesting points in it.
Pain, like any other emotion, can be turned off. // If there can be no victory, then I shall fight forever.
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
May 28 2011 17:23 GMT
#3377
Its actually a funny thing ironsights, I'm the same way. I was in gold beating platinums and the occasional diamond and losing to gold players. Now i'm in platinum beating diamonds and losing to platinum players. Weird stuff.

Simple question: Is there a magic number of brood lords to use at once? I was thinking earlier and while 15 broods kill faster than 5, I would rather have the supply of a late game zerg army invested in a ground force to cover them and extra corrupters and mutas to rule the skies than have a massive flying siege armada.
Is there a general number that most situations you should stop at?
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Blamajama
Profile Joined September 2010
156 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 17:31:20
May 28 2011 17:30 GMT
#3378
So what is up with these master lvl zerg players that can't stop talking **** every time I roll them. I swear it is the same comments after every game. "Noob... so bad... can't play for ****", yet the games aren't even that close. I am like 70% win rate vs zerg and they can't admit defeat. Is it something to do with the style or what? I do abuse a certain strategy of a two base all in so I can end the game pre-hive tech but still... Here is what I am talking about....

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/3300

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/3301

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/3302

I am obviously not going to report anyone for some kiddy trash talk, but is there something about these all ins that piss zergs off? Anyone else have experience with this?
Intricate1
Profile Joined May 2011
169 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 17:46:59
May 28 2011 17:43 GMT
#3379
Supply Depot
Barracks
Refinery
Barracks
Supply Depot
Reactor (Barracks)
Tech Lab (Barracks)
Supply Depot
Command Center
Terran Combat Shield *

2 Rax build a Pro uses for TvP/TvT on smaller maps, I'm wondering why he consistently takes Combat Shield first in this spot.
Bertyo
Profile Joined February 2011
United States29 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-28 19:14:21
May 28 2011 19:11 GMT
#3380
How many probes do I want on minerals to be fully saturated? I've read a few different numbers and would like to know for sure.
Prev 1 167 168 169 170 171 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings127
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 240
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10595
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1116
NeuroSwarm200
febbydoto16
League of Legends
Doublelift5452
JimRising 703
Counter-Strike
taco 259
minikerr48
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King316
hungrybox115
Other Games
summit1g9874
Maynarde214
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick446
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 191
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo636
• Rush348
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 1m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.