• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:30
CEST 10:30
KST 17:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8956 users

[G] Ultras in ZvT /w image heavy + reps - Page 9

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
bearjuice
Profile Joined November 2010
United States98 Posts
January 26 2011 19:18 GMT
#161
I always have viewed ultras as a final nail in the coffin type of unit. Not an actual build you strive for from the very beginning
"Tis a good day to die!"
CuteSmallHydra
Profile Joined May 2003
Canada120 Posts
January 26 2011 19:57 GMT
#162
On January 27 2011 00:13 SchLing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2011 23:53 DizzyDrone wrote:
On January 26 2011 23:49 SchLing wrote:
On January 25 2011 11:27 SmallCuteHydra wrote:
All games discussed from here on out will be between Master level players averaging 2500-3000 pts as of current date (Jan 24th).



I almost stopped reading here. What a load of elitist horseshit really. Why can't us plat and now diamond players dicuss (or even lower)? We have brains too, but maybe not the game time to get the hours played to reach high level Master league. We might not have super crisp timing either, but we can still put together a combined forced to deal with something.



Did you even consider that he might just be talking about the games discussed in his post?



Maybe, I just didn't read it like that. I do hope you are right though


There's no way I'd be able to control who replies to this thread and the thought never even crossed my mind. My statement was referring to my own discussion of my own games in the OP and to give readers an idea of the quality of the players participating in those games.
aka fOr)Darko
Johnny_Vegas
Profile Joined December 2007
United States239 Posts
January 26 2011 20:56 GMT
#163
First off the OP is a pretty solid player, sporting a 170ish APM, and generally good macro. In all the replays he stops the mid game attack by catching the tanks unsieged just as they enter his half of the creeped up map. After that, its muta harassment, and generally defensive/macro play, culminating in one lightning Ultra/Bane/Sling/Muta attack that erases the Terra ball in a flash. Haha nice games man.

Watched the first four replays. Game 4 on Steppes of War was DAMN impressive. The ultra/banes absolutely erased his sieged tanks/w marine backup, haha wow. Sure you had a lead going into that fight, but I've lost a lot of games on that map after having a lead, so nice work.

I've tried your strat and won and lost with it so far. I haven't played much lately so I was pretty rusty. The loss was on steppes of war, and I made the mistake of attacking the Terran's natural with just muta/ling, taking losses and putting me behind. The interesting part is I almost came back with a lower economy with Ultra/Bane, showing me their potential. I am still working on the timing of everything. One really important thing appears to be keeping those muta alive, as I didn't have any at the end of the game to help out. I lost the game because my rustyness caused my macro to slip and I didn't make enough drones, the Ultra/banes were solid.
battlereports.com (co-founder/developer), Nohunters Discussion Forum operator
pbecot01
Profile Joined October 2010
41 Posts
January 26 2011 21:29 GMT
#164
the thing with broods is that they hit the marines, and then the tanks have to unseige or wipe out his whole army. then the other units can run in. its the run in where we lose most of our stuff.
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
January 26 2011 21:40 GMT
#165
Dam, I'm convinced. Beating Mech with banelings? (And the terran player being NaYeBo?)
Ultralisks here I come!
133 221 333 123 111
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
January 26 2011 22:23 GMT
#166
@Blasius:

Nothing that you're saying about broodlords is wrong, as such - and I'm by no means certain your conclusions are wrong, for that matter. But I think they might be.

The first reason is because of what I've seen. In all the endless army-exchanges I've seen in ZvT, I've seen broodlords do damage, but I've never seen them carry the momentum of the fight in Zerg's favour as decisively as the Ultra/baneling combo did in those replays and in my own games. In fact, what I pretty much always see when broodlords come out is a Zerg who has been liquidly mobile and responsive throughout the game, able to pick and choose his battles, suddenly pinned to the spot by the need to fight beneath and protect his expensive aerial siege units. In a great majority of cases I see broodlords struggle to get in position, only to do a small amount of damage before being chased down and killed, often because their supporting units have been distracted by the need to defend elsewhere. I do not recall ever seeing broodlords carry a fight from the open field back to the enemy base.

If you watch the MrBitter VOD with LZGamer, you can see what I'm talking about - although they do not call attention to it. His broodlords accomplish virtually nothing as he struggles to position them and his ground army to best effect - and yet almost every time he attacks with ultralisks and banelings, he obliterates the Terran forces. The only time his Ultras let him down is when he presses home his attack without waiting for baneling support. Had he done so - a matter of a minute, no more - he would certainly have followed through to victory.

The second reason derives from thinking about why the above should come to pass.

For instance, Ultras die to stimmed marines in a straight-up dps race. But you can't win a dps-race with a tidal-wave of exploding banelings. All of a sudden, you're not chewing through 500 heavily-armoured hitpoints while the Ultralisk slowly gives you a haircut, you're chewing through 500 heavily-armoured hitpoints while a grenade goes off in your mouth. Think about attack priorities. Think of three or four ultralisks with a bunch of banelings as a rampaging planetary fortress with siege tank support: the fact you'd be able to kill the fortress eventually seems less relevant when the deadline is right now.

Then there's tank splash. Obviously broodlords are awesome against tanks; far better in terms of damage exchanged if you set them up in the unit tester. Yet it rarely seems to pan out quite that way in the games I've watched and played - plus there's the problem of carrying the momentum of the fight with such sluggish units.

Meanwhile, Ultralisks will each soak up around nine tank rounds, minimising splash onto the damage-dealing payload of banelings rolling with them. If the accompanying marines try to stutter-step or spread out, they'll just shoot the ultralisks too. Again, watch the MrBitter VOD: the only time his opponent wasn't instantly turned from Terran into terrine was when his marines stimmed and just ran the fuck away.

I'm by no means suggesting that broodlords can't be awesome. But I think they're awesome in the way altogether too many Zerg units are awesome: only when deployed with exact correctness - and I think that theoretical awesomeness has potentially distracted a lot of players. Ultra/baneling, by comparison, seems rather like Gary Kasparov winning a chess match by suddenly punching his opponent in the face: unexpected and unorthodox, certainly, but surprisingly effective.
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
Sapphire.lux
Profile Joined July 2010
Romania2620 Posts
January 26 2011 22:29 GMT
#167
On January 27 2011 04:16 ShindyK2 wrote:
Ultras counter mech/viking heavy army. We dont see alot of them in the GSLs because many progamers know how to counter mech well, its not very mobile, and a bit all-in ish.

N yeah broodlords good against tanks because they are just epic size manta-rays of death that shred mech units from a RANGE, where as Ultras are Melee and stim marine DPS + Tanks > Ultras unless you forced them into viking heavy with broodlords first.

All the progamers know that Broods > Ultras when it comes to countering sieged tanks and this is a fact that has been accepted long ago... infact 3 seasons of GSLs ago...

The days of mech will return with Ghosts to fight both Broodlords and Ultras. Mark my words :D
Head Coach Park: "They should buff tanks!"
lindn
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden833 Posts
January 26 2011 23:22 GMT
#168
On January 25 2011 11:39 Pandain wrote:
I haven't read everything yet but sounds really interesting. Just some questions:
1.While your teching up to hive, wouldn't there be a timing for terran to hit? Especially considering(if I'm correct) your saving supply to use for ultras?
2.Do the replays really show a true terran, not doing any gimmicky BC stuff? Just making sure.
3.When do you tech to ultras.

when i get ultras i usually make a push just to get some of his killed and enough of mine killed to allow me to get ultras. so no.

teching i myself aim for 18-20 min
imbs
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom320 Posts
January 27 2011 00:42 GMT
#169
gotta say pretty disapointed so far. i see the thread, and being a lover of the ultra myself i eagerly dl the reps. turn on a random replay and wat do i find but a guy who gets ultras after hes already won :/ like i said disapointed but ill try 1 or 2 more replays before i give up !
Harbinger631
Profile Joined September 2010
United States376 Posts
January 27 2011 05:57 GMT
#170
Yeah, in a lot of the replays he was already pretty ahead. I watched the post-patch ones. Still, excited to try this out for myself, I think it should work really well.
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
January 27 2011 09:54 GMT
#171
PS: You can add + Show Spoiler +
today's ZeNEXByun vs LeenockfOu
to the list of games where broodlords accomplish jack shit and ultra/bane comes to the rescue.
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
Phanekim
Profile Joined April 2003
United States777 Posts
January 27 2011 09:55 GMT
#172
On January 27 2011 18:54 Umpteen wrote:
PS: You can add + Show Spoiler +
today's ZeNEXByun vs LeenockfOu
to the list of games where broodlords accomplish jack shit and ultra/bane comes to the rescue.


wow what a game changer. i haven't seen this big of a game changer since people started doing terran mech. like montaro from kali days.
i like cheese
HowardRoark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
1146 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-30 12:45:13
January 27 2011 11:06 GMT
#173
Hey, I tried this out on the Protoss 200 ball some games, and it is a small miracle. But it works differently than the 3base ultra-bling vs Terran, because you abuse the fact that a baneling is only 0.5 food, so with 5-8 ultras and the rest (100 or less) banelings it crushes any P land-ball. This only works with good economics, but we have seen that Zerg sometimes have no chance to beat a 200 P ball, but with these 50-100 blings it eats everything, even armored, and having the ultras in front they can not forcefield and the Colox waste their damage on the ultras.

It is not cost effective, but Zerg seldom is, but IF you have the money, it is unstoppable late game vs P. It is also great since it requires Protoss to split their death-ball.
"It is really good to get the double observatory if you want to get the speed and sight range for the observer simultaneously. It's a little bit of an advanced tactic, and by advanced, I mean really fucking bad."
Johnny_Vegas
Profile Joined December 2007
United States239 Posts
January 27 2011 15:26 GMT
#174
On January 27 2011 20:06 HowardRoark wrote:
Hey, I tried this out on the Protoss 200 ball some games, and it is a small miracle. But it works differently than the 3base ultra-bling vs Terran, because you abuse the fact that a baneling is only 1 food, so with 5-8 ultras and the rest (100 or less) banelings it crushes any P land-ball. This only works with good economics, but we have seen that Zerg sometimes have no chance to beat a 200 P ball, but with these 50-100 blings it eats everything, even armored, and having the ultras in front they can not forcefield and the Colox waste their damage on the ultras.

It is not cost effective, but Zerg seldom is, but IF you have the money, it is unstoppable late game vs P. It is also great since it requires Protoss to split their death-ball.



I tried it against Protoss, but my econ was even and he had better positioning, so it didn't work out. I totally agree it should work though.

I think the basic element to mass banelings is they are highly effective against almost ANY concentrated ball of units (except very large ones like Thors, but the Ultras handle them).

Here's a replay last night of me trying out Ultra/Bane/Speedling vs Terran. He was slightly favored, I am currently 2450 Diamond.

http://battlereports.com/viewreplays.php?replaynum=34123

+ Show Spoiler +
That final battle was impressive stuff. In the past I NEVER would engage a terran with his army next to a planetary. In this game I caught his tanks unsieged, and he was mostly MMM with light tank support, so Ultra/Bane was really effective. He had a ton of Mauraders, its surprising how they all died, usually they shred Ultras, but even Mauraders can't handle that many banelings/speedlings. I really tried to follow the OP's advice of keeping my Muta alive. They did a nice cleanup job after the Ultra/Bane tornado.
battlereports.com (co-founder/developer), Nohunters Discussion Forum operator
HowardRoark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
1146 Posts
January 27 2011 16:27 GMT
#175
On January 28 2011 00:26 Johnny_Vegas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2011 20:06 HowardRoark wrote:
Hey, I tried this out on the Protoss 200 ball some games, and it is a small miracle. But it works differently than the 3base ultra-bling vs Terran, because you abuse the fact that a baneling is only 1 food, so with 5-8 ultras and the rest (100 or less) banelings it crushes any P land-ball. This only works with good economics, but we have seen that Zerg sometimes have no chance to beat a 200 P ball, but with these 50-100 blings it eats everything, even armored, and having the ultras in front they can not forcefield and the Colox waste their damage on the ultras.

It is not cost effective, but Zerg seldom is, but IF you have the money, it is unstoppable late game vs P. It is also great since it requires Protoss to split their death-ball.



I tried it against Protoss, but my econ was even and he had better positioning, so it didn't work out. I totally agree it should work though.

I think the basic element to mass banelings is they are highly effective against almost ANY concentrated ball of units (except very large ones like Thors, but the Ultras handle them).

Here's a replay last night of me trying out Ultra/Bane/Speedling vs Terran. He was slightly favored, I am currently 2450 Diamond.

http://battlereports.com/viewreplays.php?replaynum=34123

+ Show Spoiler +
That final battle was impressive stuff. In the past I NEVER would engage a terran with his army next to a planetary. In this game I caught his tanks unsieged, and he was mostly MMM with light tank support, so Ultra/Bane was really effective. He had a ton of Mauraders, its surprising how they all died, usually they shred Ultras, but even Mauraders can't handle that many banelings/speedlings. I really tried to follow the OP's advice of keeping my Muta alive. They did a nice cleanup job after the Ultra/Bane tornado.


And you know what Johnny? The thing is that Collossus (as we all know) stand on top of the other units in the Protoss ball, so that is even more effective with banelings splashing both the Colo and the regular units. With some infestor running in the background, you could lock them all and then it is game.
"It is really good to get the double observatory if you want to get the speed and sight range for the observer simultaneously. It's a little bit of an advanced tactic, and by advanced, I mean really fucking bad."
Ksyper
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Bulgaria665 Posts
January 27 2011 16:50 GMT
#176
TL;DR
Well late game ZvT is awesome for the zerg as long as they went for muta ling baneling. You have you're air upgrades, a spire, melee and armour upgrades and a lot of bases. You can tech switch to broodlords or ultras and bought are awesome because you have the needed upgrades and tech to make them work.
MorsCerta
Profile Joined October 2010
United States234 Posts
January 27 2011 22:33 GMT
#177
So since reading this I have been playing with Ultras in mind for the late game, so my past 2 games vs terran haven't even really been close.

[image loading]
In this the terran I face goes marine/tank pressure a couple times that I fend off barely and then expands into marine/tank/thor and then I deny his 3rd for a while with poop ovys and when our armies meet (each of us around 140 supply) I destroy his.

[image loading]

In this my opponent plays passive and is on 3 bases at pretty much the same timing as me as I drop my 4th. Our armies meet on accident all spread out and once again, its not even close.

2800D+ facing similarly ranked terrans
If I was you then I would prolly hate on me too. http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MorsCerta
Ridiculisk
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia191 Posts
January 27 2011 23:41 GMT
#178
This sounds like how I've been playing ZvT and ZvP...(I'm only bronze though)

Ultralisk's are awesome IMO. I've never quite understood why no one liked them??? You don't even need many, like 5 - 6 along with your Ling/Bling is just deadly...

In my experience large scale engagements (once the Ultra's are out) almost always end in your favour. Then it's just a matter of reinforcing with speedlings. (I always get the attack speed upgrade though)

TAhackdZ.379 - Sc2sea.com Article Writer
dantroid225
Profile Joined April 2010
United States56 Posts
January 28 2011 07:22 GMT
#179
ur a fuckin genius. This is my late game as of late, and it's just what i've been looking for.
vdek
Profile Joined May 2010
United States267 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-28 18:31:38
January 28 2011 15:27 GMT
#180
I tried this build out, skipping mutas entirely and surviving on lings/blings until I could get my ultras out to make a push, worked amazingly well.

[image loading]

I've actually been doing slings/blings/mutas into ultras for a while now. Going for +3/+3 melee upgrades while teching to ultras and it works really really well. But waiting for extra banelings makes it so much better.


Made a youtube video of it via replay2avi.com, I'll probably recast it nicer later tonight.

Part 1:


Part 2:
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 97
EnDerr 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2482
Rain 1604
FanTaSy 390
Soma 130
NotJumperer 72
Stork 48
Mong 47
Killer 45
Bale 37
Shinee 29
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 27
Sharp 22
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
yabsab 15
Noble 10
Dota 2
Fuzer 90
League of Legends
JimRising 514
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1221
shoxiejesuss460
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King130
Other Games
summit1g8185
ceh9486
Happy267
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick625
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2228
League of Legends
• Lourlo1211
• Rush1157
• Stunt466
Other Games
• Shiphtur837
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 31m
INu's Battles
2h 31m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
4h 31m
OSC
13h 46m
Replay Cast
14h 31m
OSC
1d 14h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.