• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:45
CEST 05:45
KST 12:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7078 users

[G] Ultras in ZvT /w image heavy + reps - Page 15

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
April 07 2012 05:38 GMT
#281
On April 07 2012 08:20 neoghaleon55 wrote:
FFS!!
Stephano just lost because he used ultralings....
FREAKING!!
USE ULTRABANES!!!
gahhh!!

You don't even need that many banelings. You can have a mainly crackling force with 4-6 ultras and up to 15+ banelings and still crush the Terran army much better than without any banelings.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
PeanutsNJam
Profile Joined April 2011
United States175 Posts
April 10 2012 17:33 GMT
#282
Cool part of banelings is that if marines runs away from the banelings, then those marines aren't shooting (if they stutter-step they will get trapped by lings, or they'll be shooting lings and not banes), letting the ultras eat the tanks. I think the biggest part is having ultras soak the initial tank volley that decimates 1/3 of your ling bling flood.
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
April 10 2012 22:54 GMT
#283
On April 03 2012 04:06 CuteSmallHydra wrote:
Hey all, interesting to see my old ultra/bane guide being bumped after over a full year having passed since I'd written it. The bump was brought to my attention by a PM from someone complimenting me on the guide and asking whether I preferred using mutalisks or infestors.

Before I answer that, I must point out that this guide is clearly old and outdated. There are four things that immediately come to mind as to why this is so:

1) Back when this was posted, terrans still did many 1-base all-in's/cheeses and had only just started recovering from BitByBitPrime syndrome. Also as mentioned in my OP, scv repair was truly imbalanced back then. Nowadays, at least from what I know, many T's open 2 fact hellion or BF hellion into fast expo. I mentioned in the OP how it's really, and I mean REALLY hard to deal with mass hellion when all you're making is ling/bane with delayed mutalisks. You'll need some really good sim city or a different opening to combat this. My original openings in the now gone replays (RIP megaupload) are simply no good.

2) Back when this was posted, Infestors sucked hardcore. This was why Idra's muta/ling/bane was the go-to strategy in ZvT. There was simply no other equal at the time. It was only some time after I had already written my guide that Infestors received their many buffs over the next several patches. The style of play Stephano uses, while pretty damn awesome right now, simply wouldn't have worked with the Infestor's fungle doing less damage and having a much longer duration for the full DoT to take effect. If Stephano used Ultras back when I had first written this guide, it would've been the exact same way I used them - basically the ultra/bane composition.

3) Back when this was posted, terrans did not devote even nearly as much of their energy/resources/time to delaying creep spread as they do now. Going back to point one here - if they open hellion and can't find any place to poke, they WILL keep their hellions just outside your creep and prevent further expansion. This greatly reduces the effect of the early speedling/speedbanes that I recommended as the best way of keeping yourself alive to early terran pushes. Stutter stepping marines were never a problem when I engaged on creep. Nowadays it's not as easy to have the entire map covered in purple as it used to be.

4) Back when this posted (I really say that a lot, don't I? Truly shows the age of this guide), Ultralisk build time was 70 seconds. I believe it's now 50? Or was it 40? I don't even know anymore. The point is that one of the main factors of this guide was to make people include Ultralisks in their very first maxed army composition, rather than going 200/200, losing a battle, and then trying to remax/reinforce with Ultralisks. That simply did not work, yet that strategy was common advice found coming from many high level players (the whole brood lord to force vikings, lose entire army then remax on Ultras strat lost more often than not). Now however, with the ultralisk build time having been drastically lowered, it stands to reason that zergs should have an easier time reinforcing an already existing army with Ultralisks, given that they don't blow all their resources into that. Always keep in mind that you need a way to deal with marines when going Ultralisks, as Ultras themselves simply don't fulfill that role. You'll need either infestors or banelings to compliment your ultralisks.

So to answer the original question, at the time this guide was written, I simply could not prefer to use Infestors over Mutalisks. Infestors weren't all that good, and muta/ling/bane was the best zerg could offer to combat all the 1base all-in's terran had and still offer a way to go on the offensive (via muta harrass). My guide did, however, inspire others to further stray away from the standard muta/ling/bane composition and experiment with using infestors as an alternative - such as this guide from MrBitter posted a few weeks after my own - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=193058 - his OP even links back to this thread here.

In the PM it was also asked what builds I use now, seeing as the guide is hella old. Truthfully, I no longer really play SC2 right now. I don't even remember when I stopped. It must've been around sometime last summer. I still played a bit every now and then, but no longer the excess that I did when I wrote this guide. Back then I considered myself one of the top players, at least on the NA server. Now I'm obviously nowhere near that close. I opened up my SC2 today for the first time in over a month just to look up my ZvT replays and see if I could write up anything about how my play had evolved and post some more modern replays now that all the old ones were gone. Unfortunately when trying to load my latest replay, I was presented with the message that I could only watch it offline since the patches were incompatible so I immediately gave up on that idea.

So to conclude, a big thanks to everyone who read this guide and gave my old playstyles a shot. I like to think that it had at least somewhat of an impact on the zerg scene and how zergs approached ZvT and Ultralisks as a whole. If I end up taking up SC2 again and get high up there on the masters ladder again, I'll be sure to post newer replays and comment on how my ultra/bane playstyle had changed over time. Thanks for reading!


You are a hero amongst the zerg.
This guide did for late game zerg what Spanishiwa did for early game zerg.
complete paradigm shift.

Regarding all your points, yes the game has changed a lot, however, ultralisk/baneling synergy still exists.
They are still the same speed.
Banelings are still the fastest damage dealer to a ball of stuff in the game, they just need something to tank for them.

Another paradigm since this guide was published is the speedroach/speedbane push mid game in ZvT.
Speedroach with armor upgrades is like the poor man's ultralisk.
they have a ton of HP for their costs and have roughly the same movement speed.

I want to mention that I am highly against ultralinginfestor as a combination.
The speeds are soooooo off from one another. Lings will run in first, ultras get caught in pathing bug after, infestors are too slow to deal with drops. I've seen so many GSL zergs try this and fail miserably...
people need to do ultrabanes or just don't ultras...period(in ZvT of course).

moo...for DRG
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17680
Rain 1468
GuemChi 635
sSak 37
Bale 22
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 921
taco 462
minikerr37
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1009
Mew2King84
Other Games
summit1g7651
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft542
C9.Mang0170
ViBE121
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1049
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 18
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo786
• Stunt325
Other Games
• Shiphtur744
• Scarra718
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 15m
INu's Battles
7h 15m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 15m
OSC
18h 30m
Replay Cast
19h 15m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.