• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:04
CEST 11:04
KST 18:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)32Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8840 users

[G]TvZ Marine/Raven - Page 28

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 41 Next All
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-14 14:13:12
November 14 2010 14:00 GMT
#541
I added one of Shankapotamus's plat reps which illustrate some nice micro.

Also, as a general request, can those who use this often share their turret placement/marine micro tricks. Screen caps with a brief description would be preferable.

IE:

Turret Behind the Minerals
[image loading]

Turrets behind the minerals is one of the most basic uses for Raven harass. Positioning turrets like this makes them extremely hard to attack with melee units effectively and the long lifespan of each turret denies mining for 3/4 minutes. If left alone long enough both geysers and hatches will die to turret fire.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-14 14:39:38
November 14 2010 14:38 GMT
#542
This above screenshot is my common turret use by far. I usually group them a little bit tighter though to make them even more difficult to kill for lings. (ppl rarely waste banes on the turrets). The only other places I use turrets are randomly around the map to try to block banes from my marines, panic turrets to defend from mutas and once I have a huge ball I just throw them down all over the zerg base to finish the game.

In regards to blocking banes, I find this is less efficient use of my apm then just splitting my marines as often as possible except maybe to block a ramp.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 14 2010 17:13 GMT
#543
On November 14 2010 23:38 statikg wrote:
This above screenshot is my common turret use by far. I usually group them a little bit tighter though to make them even more difficult to kill for lings. (ppl rarely waste banes on the turrets). The only other places I use turrets are randomly around the map to try to block banes from my marines, panic turrets to defend from mutas and once I have a huge ball I just throw them down all over the zerg base to finish the game.

In regards to blocking banes, I find this is less efficient use of my apm then just splitting my marines as often as possible except maybe to block a ramp.


Actually, using them to ramp block is great. The best way to deal with banes turret wise is to throw turrets down in zerg's likely routes of reinforcing when you attack an expo so they have to run through a turret line(Can't a-move) or go around.

Actually all the best baneling counters(like spread out your marines and stuff) occur before battles with zerg armies so .
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
FunkyLich
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States107 Posts
November 14 2010 17:25 GMT
#544
When is the micro tricks section coming?
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 14 2010 17:36 GMT
#545
On November 15 2010 02:25 freezeframe wrote:
When is the micro tricks section coming?


When its done :D I don't make videos or have a youtube account so I have to write everything out and take screen caps.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
November 14 2010 18:58 GMT
#546
How effective is the patrol spread micro trick in regards to splitting for banelings? has anyone tried this out yet??
Komsa
Profile Joined November 2010
United States99 Posts
November 14 2010 19:35 GMT
#547
Patrol spread does a help a little bit, but it doesn't work when the enemy is in target acquisition range. So you need to do it a before you engage, which can be cumbersom. It's also inconsistent, if you're on patrol and the enemy engages you, the patrollers will group up again slightly unless you hold position after they spread.

Also sense you have to do it before you engage, your spread will be clumped when you go to attack move a target area. It's best on defense when your just holding ground for a moment. And quite effective at that.
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow. -Woodrow Wilson
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
November 14 2010 20:22 GMT
#548
I just noticed while watching the replays, that both turret range and building armor upgrades applies to Raven's AutoTurrets, would those both be worth getting? Turrets are usefull to soak damage so +2 armor could be quite powerful
Romanes eunt domus
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-14 21:57:32
November 14 2010 21:49 GMT
#549
On November 15 2010 05:22 BobMcJohnson wrote:
I just noticed while watching the replays, that both turret range and building armor upgrades applies to Raven's AutoTurrets, would those both be worth getting? Turrets are usefull to soak damage so +2 armor could be quite powerful


Definitely worth getting building armor, and most people usually do. +2 armor also makes p-forts, bunkers, and missile turrets pretty robust too. Hi-sec auto tracking is nice too, although most people don't get it - probably hecause it ties up the eng bay.

I noticed in kme's most recent replay pack that he wasn't getting building armor. If it was anyone else I would assume they forgot or something, but kme was leaning more on tanks in those games and less on auto turrets to cover the marines so that's probably the reason. He may care to elaborate further.

By the way I wanted to take a minute to applaud the exquisite marine micro displayed in kme's third replay pack. It's calm and elegant, obviously resulting from a lot of practice. He just smoothly cuts slices and positions them so that banelings do very little damage. There is no sense of that frantic panic you usually see when banelings are chasing marines. It was a pleasure to watch, and here's the surprise: his apm is only around 100-120 on average. Stay calm and split intelligently and you don't need lightning fingers.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-14 22:33:44
November 14 2010 22:32 GMT
#550
I started finally watching those KME reps.

Some interesting stuff:
The one from HammerTime was pretty good. He was probably the most interesting zerg I've seen so far. Bling drops, building nothing but sling/blings and expoing. Its too bad that zerg get so larva blocked if they stay on lings because while HammerTime had the right idea, he couldn't actually build drones. I think getting a third hatch in the main is something that has to be done if someone is wanting to do an expo style that emphasizes lings. You can throw up quite a few hatches with extra minerals but they'll probably die before they produce any large amount of drones unless its in your base.

Will update as I go.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
November 14 2010 23:45 GMT
#551
Kawairice just won a tourney
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166984
using mostly a marine strategy against Z, with a great split micro. I hope they will publish replays/vods, it was interresting. (he played a TvZ final)
zomgad
Profile Joined October 2010
185 Posts
November 14 2010 23:49 GMT
#552
whats patrol split
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
November 14 2010 23:49 GMT
#553
On November 15 2010 08:45 MrCon wrote:
Kawairice just won a tourney
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166984
using mostly a marine strategy against Z, with a great split micro. I hope they will publish replays/vods, it was interresting. (he played a TvZ final)



Yea, he pulled off the Foxer style rine/medivac strategy very well. I enjoyed watching his marine micro in these games.
Mercurial#1193
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
November 15 2010 00:46 GMT
#554
Wow, good for kawaii. I haven't seen him play much since beta. It's funny that pros keep doing well with mass marines and we still get people popping in here to say "mass marine sucks, hard countered by x and y"

I'd love to see the replays once they're released.
MonsieurGrimm
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada2441 Posts
November 15 2010 02:45 GMT
#555
I just lost to this, both armies were maxed (my infestor/ling vs his marine/raven), the problem was my infestors couldnt kill anything nearly quick enough, so I would fungal around the same time he cast HSM on all my infestors, I would spawn infested terrans as quickly as possible (they're way too difficult to cast imo, gotta hit T every time >.>) but all my infestors would die, the ravens would take a couple casualties but overall would leave unscathed, and this just happened over and over until I ran out of moneys.

So, my question is, what's the best unit comp to deal with this (since really, at 200/200, unit comp is what matters along with ups)? I feel like corruptors are the only real option, but if I go for them my ground army will just lose and cry and they might die anyways to HSM.
"60% of the time, it works - every time" - Brian Fantana on Double Reactors All The Way // "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
November 15 2010 03:14 GMT
#556
Once there is a ball of ravens 5+ you probably already lost, as soon as you realize this is happening you need to do a couple things

1) start spreading creep
2) get baneling speed
3) get some mutas for harass and for picking off ravens
4) start getting armor upgrades
5) make toooons of lings, drop an extra hatch in base if u need larva
MonsieurGrimm
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada2441 Posts
November 15 2010 04:08 GMT
#557
On November 15 2010 12:14 statikg wrote:
Once there is a ball of ravens 5+ you probably already lost


That feels really overpowered on a race with the best turtle in game :/
"60% of the time, it works - every time" - Brian Fantana on Double Reactors All The Way // "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Pooka
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States140 Posts
November 15 2010 04:08 GMT
#558
I'm not a particularly great player (~1800 Diamond), but I love this build. However, I kept running into more and more players who went 2 base Baneling/Speedling rush and wasn't able to defend it without taking massive damage, so I started doing a more methodical Marine/Medivac/Tank push. Instead of splitting Marines and leaving them to die to Banelings, I try to set up some Tanks behind my Marines, do a little damage, and run when the Banelings come. If they chase me, they get shot down by the Tanks, and if they don't, I do free damage. However, this can leave your Tanks vulnerable to Mutalisks, so I like to build some Turrets along the way. I just didn't like the idea of sacrificing Marines to Banelings constantly when I could pick them off with Tanks instead.

Here's a replay to show the strategy in action. Again, I'm nowhere near a pro, so take it for what it's worth. Although I did make mistakes, eventually I won the war of attrition. Thanks to the OP for sharing the build!

[image loading]
Victim
Profile Joined August 2010
United States188 Posts
November 15 2010 04:28 GMT
#559
I just saw Drewbie start adding Ravens in the Undeniably Gamer Tournament finals. His style wasn't quite the same, since he made heavy use of medivacs, banshee and Thors while on his first two bases, and only added the Ravens after taking his third.
uAir
Profile Joined November 2010
United States41 Posts
November 15 2010 04:41 GMT
#560
I only have one replay in which I went battlecruisers against Zerg. He responded by massing hydras instead. >_>

I was wondering if adapting the marine/raven build into marine/battlecruiser build might be more viable with a more streamlined build.

The goal is to get Zerg to swap ground army for something that can fire back against the battlecruisers. So long as you can hold out against their early and attacks and keep the aggression on them you can save up for a battlecruiser. Then their zergling, baneling, roach armies are in trouble. Mutas are very costly in terms of gas and that will further slow their ground army and weaken them if they choose to mass a lot more mutas to deal with the battlecruisers.

Hydras are one way also but quite honestly, I think hydras are easier to deal with than banelings and zerglings. And if they do that you can cut battlecruisers again to mass grab more ravens and save those minerals for more marines or whatnot.

Forcing them to again keep watching your tech swap. Ravens also do very well against hydras. Being slower in general than mutas they are under risk from the missile and for some reason, autoturrets seem to do slightly better against hydras than roaches.

What do you guys think?
let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith dare to do our duty
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech116
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 378
Hyuk 290
Leta 123
Shinee 110
ZerO 90
actioN 77
soO 57
Mong 56
EffOrt 52
Zeus 50
[ Show more ]
Killer 45
Mind 44
ToSsGirL 34
sorry 30
Aegong 25
PianO 23
Bale 23
HiyA 17
ZergMaN 13
JulyZerg 8
Noble 6
Terrorterran 2
Soma 0
Dota 2
XcaliburYe105
League of Legends
JimRising 420
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss480
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King181
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1682
Other Games
gofns9087
summit1g8026
olofmeister1325
singsing1059
ceh9589
Happy339
crisheroes290
Livibee103
ArmadaUGS89
DeMusliM18
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick516
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream231
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH210
• LUISG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2272
League of Legends
• Jankos1615
• Rush1383
• Stunt488
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
56m
OSC
3h 56m
Stellar Fest
3h 56m
OSC
14h 56m
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.