• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:37
CEST 12:37
KST 19:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9818 users

The Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 104

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 102 103 104 105 106 489 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
Deatheus89
Profile Joined October 2011
Singapore19 Posts
October 11 2011 05:41 GMT
#2061
I'm having some trouble with ZvZ when my opponent goes fast muta/ling/spine mass expand.

Currently my solution is to be very active while scouting and throw down a hydra den + infestation pit when I suspect spire/mutas are on the way.

Once the hydras and 2 - 3 infestors are out, I play defensive to secure my 3rd. Once I have 3 bases (if I didn't take too long to get my 3rd) I can usually play standard with slightly more hydras than I normally would + overseer for blings.

But I feel like this approach is a bandaid of a solution, any tips? please!

Thank you!

Fairchild


Coz he has so many spines he probably wont be able to put pressure until his mutas are out. What i do is i take a quick third and go mutas as well. On 6 gases u can make more mutas with better upgrades. if he does switch to infestors or hydras u shld b able to whoops his ass on 3 bases since hes counting on his mutas to keep u contained while he get his third.
matthewd49
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
October 12 2011 00:02 GMT
#2062
hi guys i would like to begin playing zerg so i think it would be cool if you guys could recommend me the most macro oriented builds/openers you can think of and maybe go into a little more depth about zvz since i feel from watching a lot of high level games that i have a better understanding of zvt and zvp than zvz.
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
October 12 2011 19:59 GMT
#2063
I'm back from about 10 months of playing League of Legends with zero Starcraft II. I was okayish (diamond afaik) when I quit, just looking for someone to give me a quick jump start. Stuff like send your ovie out etc. Battlenet name is BouBou, char code is 865. Would appreciate it, I have skype and teamspeak.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
xDuckyx
Profile Joined June 2011
United States28 Posts
October 12 2011 23:16 GMT
#2064
I've been having an issue with my Mid and late game ZvZ. I go roach/infestor and usually lose to non-stop harass. I simply fall behind and lose. I feel that I get enough upgrades and have a good army comp but whenever I get into a battle or just settle down from an event, more harass happens and I feel pinned back and under constant attack. What can I do to fix this?
dapierow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Serbia1316 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 00:28:07
October 13 2011 00:27 GMT
#2065
What is the best way to deal with Froge FE into phoenix's into Chargelot/Archon?? Should I even make Hydras?

1k masters
Eat.Sleep.Starcraft 2
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 13 2011 00:29 GMT
#2066
On October 12 2011 09:02 matthewd49 wrote:
hi guys i would like to begin playing zerg so i think it would be cool if you guys could recommend me the most macro oriented builds/openers you can think of and maybe go into a little more depth about zvz since i feel from watching a lot of high level games that i have a better understanding of zvt and zvp than zvz.


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=211960 (zvt)

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=259629 (zvp)

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=199583) (zvz if you want to mess with hatch first).

I got a lot of good feedback on my zvt/zvp guides which are focused on macro hopefully those are what you are looking for.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Fairchild
Profile Joined February 2011
133 Posts
October 13 2011 04:56 GMT
#2067
On October 11 2011 14:41 Deatheus89 wrote:

Coz he has so many spines he probably wont be able to put pressure until his mutas are out. What i do is i take a quick third and go mutas as well. On 6 gases u can make more mutas with better upgrades. if he does switch to infestors or hydras u shld b able to whoops his ass on 3 bases since hes counting on his mutas to keep u contained while he get his third.


Thank you! What are a couple big hints that he is going muta and around when do u notice these tells?

Currently I just look for him to saturate his natural's gas before he even finishes saturating it's minerals. However I feel this is only one approach to fast 2 base mutas and I can misread if the 3rd/4th gas are taken later as it might just look like double evo infestor sort of preparation.
IM_Megan
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands744 Posts
October 13 2011 07:45 GMT
#2068
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.
Please follow me on http://www.justin.tv/meganeu Thanks alot! <3
Deatheus89
Profile Joined October 2011
Singapore19 Posts
October 13 2011 15:00 GMT
#2069
Thank you! What are a couple big hints that he is going muta and around when do u notice these tells?

Currently I just look for him to saturate his natural's gas before he even finishes saturating it's minerals. However I feel this is only one approach to fast 2 base mutas and I can misread if the 3rd/4th gas are taken later as it might just look like double evo infestor sort of preparation.


That depends on quite a few factors.
Who got ahead after early game aggression?
Does he mass spines?
Did he invest into ground upgrade?
Does he get roaches/banelings and how much?

Im really looking at this with shakuras plateau in mind cause 2 base turtle with static D into mutas is really common hah
Samuraigrande
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany28 Posts
October 13 2011 16:56 GMT
#2070
On October 13 2011 16:45 IM_Megan wrote:
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.


no professional player does that, they use 9/10 overlord because it's slightly better than extractor trick
only koreans use extractor trick, i dont know if that's a nostalgic thing to broodwar or they wanting to be unique and cool but 9 ovi is the best
shmupps
Profile Joined September 2011
Sweden5 Posts
October 13 2011 17:46 GMT
#2071
Hi, im a silver league zerg player who are some trouble with when i should build drones and when i should build units to defend, so i have a couple of questions.

1. Lets say i have 10 larva, should i spend all that on drones and no attacking units or should i just use half of the larva to build drones and the rest to build overlords/units.
when i put down a lot of drones at the same time i'm always unluccka and my opponents attack me and i have money but no larva.

2. should i just build drones and wait until i see him attack until i start building defending units or should i just drop some spinecrawlers.
alihgean
Profile Joined September 2011
3 Posts
October 14 2011 03:08 GMT
#2072
On October 11 2011 12:19 curtdisis wrote:
Hey guys, im a diamond zerg and ive been having troubles on shattered temple zvp when the toss goes ffe. I dont feel comfortable taking an early third around 30 supply because it is so far away from my main base so what is the safest thing to do to keep your economy on par with the toss?


nestea's/axa's spinecrawler rush has worked for me a couple times. not exactly the safest thing to do though...
Ninety-Three
Profile Joined November 2010
United States68 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-14 05:04:01
October 14 2011 04:44 GMT
#2073
On October 14 2011 01:56 Samuraigrande wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 16:45 IM_Megan wrote:
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.


no professional player does that, they use 9/10 overlord because it's slightly better than extractor trick
only koreans use extractor trick, i dont know if that's a nostalgic thing to broodwar or they wanting to be unique and cool but 9 ovi is the best


Hmmm... Don't be so quick to dismiss. Some pros definitely do that. I've never seen JulyZerg NOT do that very thing, for example. I'm not sure why some pros do that sometimes, though. Overlord on nine should be economically better.
Setev
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Malaysia390 Posts
October 14 2011 05:21 GMT
#2074
A few months ago in early 2011 there was a popular early Zerg strategy: mass Queens for defense. It was used by Catz with success (seen on a few Day9 episodes), but later I heard little about it. I thought that mass Queens as a early game defense really frees up the Zerg to macro up with drones, as well as giving epic creep spread and great larva inject opportunities.

I am curious about professional opinion regarding this strategy, as I can't find it on Liquipedia. Can it stand up to general builds like Spanishiwa's Ice Fisher build and the speedling expand?

(Repost from Blade's thread)
I'm the King Of Nerds
Mong00se
Profile Joined October 2010
13 Posts
October 16 2011 18:34 GMT
#2075
In the second-to-last day9 daily, Day9 talks about synching your injects and then tapping with just ONE hatch. So I tried that, and I found that when I built my lair, or upgraded burrow, then the progress tab wouldn't centre on my inject but instead the upgrade. What is the solution to this? Should I make my tapping hatch my nat? or just watch the left side of the screen at those times to see when the injects are finished?
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-17 03:40:54
October 17 2011 03:36 GMT
#2076
On October 17 2011 03:34 Mong00se wrote:
In the second-to-last day9 daily, Day9 talks about synching your injects and then tapping with just ONE hatch. So I tried that, and I found that when I built my lair, or upgraded burrow, then the progress tab wouldn't centre on my inject but instead the upgrade. What is the solution to this? Should I make my tapping hatch my nat? or just watch the left side of the screen at those times to see when the injects are finished?

Just make the single hotkey'd hatch a not lair.

On October 14 2011 14:21 Setev wrote:
A few months ago in early 2011 there was a popular early Zerg strategy: mass Queens for defense. It was used by Catz with success (seen on a few Day9 episodes), but later I heard little about it. I thought that mass Queens as a early game defense really frees up the Zerg to macro up with drones, as well as giving epic creep spread and great larva inject opportunities.

I am curious about professional opinion regarding this strategy, as I can't find it on Liquipedia. Can it stand up to general builds like Spanishiwa's Ice Fisher build and the speedling expand?

(Repost from Blade's thread)

As far as I know, the build in your first paragraph IS the Ice Fisher, you just saw CatZ do it before hearing about Spanishiwa, or something. As for how good it is... it isn't. There is a reason it didn't catch on at a high level: You lack the map control that is necessary to play as zerg, I.e. you throw the one huge advantage of playing the race. This allows opponents to be greedy and makes it near impossible to get a third. Basically, you sacrifice macro-advantage in the mid-game for not-dieing in the early game, which could be accomplished with any other build, proper scouting, and knowledge of significant timings. The build was fine when 1 base all-ins were so common, but as 1 rax expands and FFE are becoming the standard, the build is just obsolete.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
FYRE
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
New Zealand314 Posts
October 17 2011 03:42 GMT
#2077
On October 14 2011 13:44 Ninety-Three wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 01:56 Samuraigrande wrote:
On October 13 2011 16:45 IM_Megan wrote:
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.


no professional player does that, they use 9/10 overlord because it's slightly better than extractor trick
only koreans use extractor trick, i dont know if that's a nostalgic thing to broodwar or they wanting to be unique and cool but 9 ovi is the best


Hmmm... Don't be so quick to dismiss. Some pros definitely do that. I've never seen JulyZerg NOT do that very thing, for example. I'm not sure why some pros do that sometimes, though. Overlord on nine should be economically better.

I just saw IdrA doing this in a few of his games at MLG. Have definitely seen July use it as well, and am wondering what the point of it is? Can anyone clarify which way is economically superior?
ChiknAdobo
Profile Joined November 2010
United States208 Posts
October 17 2011 04:09 GMT
#2078
Tried asking this question in the Simple Question Simple Answer Thread but got no response. I think this thread would be more appropriate:

I was wondering on tips for spore crawler placement in response to air harrass by protoss and banshee harass from terran. Thanks!
ZERg
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-17 04:21:25
October 17 2011 04:13 GMT
#2079
On October 17 2011 13:09 ChiknAdobo wrote:
Tried asking this question in the Simple Question Simple Answer Thread but got no response. I think this thread would be more appropriate:

I was wondering on tips for spore crawler placement in response to air harrass by protoss and banshee harass from terran. Thanks!


You should have one in each mineral line (prevent drone kills and banshee cloak) and as many as needed depending on how many units your opponent trains. Also, you need to have 1 spore crawler at each ramp (very important!). This allows you to move queens around safely.

On October 17 2011 12:42 FYRE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 13:44 Ninety-Three wrote:
On October 14 2011 01:56 Samuraigrande wrote:
On October 13 2011 16:45 IM_Megan wrote:
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.


no professional player does that, they use 9/10 overlord because it's slightly better than extractor trick
only koreans use extractor trick, i dont know if that's a nostalgic thing to broodwar or they wanting to be unique and cool but 9 ovi is the best


Hmmm... Don't be so quick to dismiss. Some pros definitely do that. I've never seen JulyZerg NOT do that very thing, for example. I'm not sure why some pros do that sometimes, though. Overlord on nine should be economically better.

I just saw IdrA doing this in a few of his games at MLG. Have definitely seen July use it as well, and am wondering what the point of it is? Can anyone clarify which way is economically superior?


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=202464

9 Overlord is the best, followed by 10OL extractor, then 10OL. I think 10OL Extractor trick gets your pool out a smidge faster, but I'm not sure why people don't just 9OL. I think its so they can have 1 more drone if they scout a cheese / 6 pool, etc. And I actually have no idea why people 10OL. It's worse than 9OL in every way.

On October 14 2011 02:46 shmupps wrote:
Hi, im a silver league zerg player who are some trouble with when i should build drones and when i should build units to defend, so i have a couple of questions.

1. Lets say i have 10 larva, should i spend all that on drones and no attacking units or should i just use half of the larva to build drones and the rest to build overlords/units.
when i put down a lot of drones at the same time i'm always unluccka and my opponents attack me and i have money but no larva.

2. should i just build drones and wait until i see him attack until i start building defending units or should i just drop some spinecrawlers.


1) You need to scout. If your opponent can't move out to attack you, or you will be able to hold the push off when they arrive (if you can defeat their army with yours), then you are safe to drone. But yeah, scouting scouting scouting. You need to see your opponent's army composition and size, then react accordingly. If you can't see their army, look at their tech or workers. You need to constantly poke with lings, overseers, and suicide overlords.

2) Scout.
133 221 333 123 111
kingjames01
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada1603 Posts
October 17 2011 04:25 GMT
#2080
On October 17 2011 12:42 FYRE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 13:44 Ninety-Three wrote:
On October 14 2011 01:56 Samuraigrande wrote:
On October 13 2011 16:45 IM_Megan wrote:
Why do alot of profesional zerg players open with a 10/10 overlord followed up with 3 drones.

NO extrator trick is beeing used.


no professional player does that, they use 9/10 overlord because it's slightly better than extractor trick
only koreans use extractor trick, i dont know if that's a nostalgic thing to broodwar or they wanting to be unique and cool but 9 ovi is the best


Hmmm... Don't be so quick to dismiss. Some pros definitely do that. I've never seen JulyZerg NOT do that very thing, for example. I'm not sure why some pros do that sometimes, though. Overlord on nine should be economically better.

I just saw IdrA doing this in a few of his games at MLG. Have definitely seen July use it as well, and am wondering what the point of it is? Can anyone clarify which way is economically superior?


Hi, I've heard this explained but I still haven't had the time to look into it properly. So hopefully this will allow people a basis on which to make a comparison.

9 OL leads to the best econ.
10 OL allows you an extra drone earlier in case you need to fend off an extremely early attack.
Who would sup with the mighty, must walk the path of daggers.
Prev 1 102 103 104 105 106 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 10687
StarCastTV_EN310
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech134
Lowko33
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 11305
Bisu 3090
Jaedong 2784
EffOrt 1050
Horang2 375
ZerO 340
Larva 260
Zeus 230
Pusan 229
actioN 146
[ Show more ]
Mind 127
Hyun 124
Barracks 85
ggaemo 75
Yoon 48
Bale 45
Killer 44
scan(afreeca) 43
Sharp 39
NotJumperer 34
ToSsGirL 25
Sacsri 23
Shinee 23
Hm[arnc] 22
Terrorterran 10
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
febbydoto79
League of Legends
JimRising 349
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1702
byalli279
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King85
Other Games
ceh9657
crisheroes213
Sick181
Pyrionflax156
dupreeh104
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 159
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 12
• killerbeecast8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV301
• lizZardDota2287
League of Legends
• Jankos1063
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
23m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
13h 23m
Patches Events
1d 5h
The PondCast
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.